Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Er I guess I don't know if it's exactly for mini medals but I haven't figured out how to get that piece yet at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Mountaineer posted:

Is there a trick to getting monster hearts? I've never gotten a single one except for a slime heart from the card matching game and the healslime heart at Alltrades. Are they just really rare drops?

Tablet dungeons making sure to kill the desired monster last. It took me about 180 kills to get 5 for some of the monsters. That seems like somewhere between 1/10 and 1/20 chance, since you can only get a heart from the last monster killed.

Edit: Kills not battles

LostRook fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 25, 2016

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

In Training posted:

Er I guess I don't know if it's exactly for mini medals but I haven't figured out how to get that piece yet at least

The Medal King fragment is at 85 medals and is not required for the main story.

Sounds like you still need to do Nottagen, right? If so my fragment list shows the pieces being in: Temple Palace treasure room, first level of Highendreigh Tower in the present, and boss of present Highendreigh.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 25, 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Decus posted:

I could see a DQVII guide being the thinnest not because most of the game is grinding--it's probably the easiest DQ and needs the least grinding, even on PSX--but because its dungeon design contains few relevant paths and the rest of it is exposition which in a guide is maybe a few sentences per area on how to progress it. It's not like a zelda game guide where you are traversing 100% of every dungeon. In DQ7 most of the bad paths are at best to give you a vantage on chests/good paths but in a guide you'd just skip those entirely.

Fair enough; I don't doubt you. I was just theorycrafting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LostRook posted:

The Medal King fragment is at 85 medals and is not required for the main story.

Sounds like you still need to do Nottagen, right? If so my fragment list shows the pieces being in: Temple Palace treasure room, first level of Highendreigh Tower in the present, and boss of present Highendreigh.

I figured it out, I never picked up the Temple Palace piece in the past

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

LostRook posted:

Tablet dungeons making sure to kill the desired monster last. It took me about 180 battles to get 5 for some of the monsters. That seems like somewhere between 1/10 and 1/20 chance, since you can only get a heart from the last monster killed.

Do you need 5 hearts to unlock the jobs? I just left the Abbey and was about to go farm some tablets.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nephzinho posted:

Do you need 5 hearts to unlock the jobs? I just left the Abbey and was about to go farm some tablets.

You need 5 to unlock it on all your permanent characters. You only need 1 heart/character and you can unlock intermediate and 'advanced' monster jobs much like you can human ones.

So, you can use a Drakslime heart to unlock the Drakslime class, or you could fully level Slime and Lizardman and it would pop up unlocked like Sage does when you fully level Mage and Priest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Zore posted:

You need 5 to unlock it on all your permanent characters. You only need 1 heart/character and you can unlock intermediate and 'advanced' monster jobs much like you can human ones.

So, you can use a Drakslime heart to unlock the Drakslime class, or you could fully level Slime and Lizardman and it would pop up unlocked like Sage does when you fully level Mage and Priest.

It's a bad example though because you can't find Lizardman (Mandrake Major) until the part of the game I'm at. Probably the easiest combo you can do from what I'm reading is Kingfuschia, Chimaera, and Jawtoise to make Dingbat.

It sucks that I'm not allowed to go to the Haven at this point of the game unless I'm missing something. I definitely would like to try and grab some new hearts for combos, but I'm pretty much stuck with the classes I've got for the time being.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Well you just follow up the Dingbat with a Well Wisher (Mimic+Berserker) and you'll have Prism Peacock which unlocks Scorch at its next to last level and has a number of other unique and useful abilities. Unless you do a lot of farming you probably won't master that by the end of the game.

A lot of the hearts can alternatively be won from Lucky Square which lets you skip ahead of your current enemy selection and each character only needs six hearts to eventually grind up to the best class.

I've been playing Ruff as primarily monster class. The only human classes he's mastered are Monster Masher and its prerequisites, and I've not had a issue with heart availability. It might be a problem if you want everyone to be a monster as you progress through the game, but I think there are plenty of chests have hearts such that you won't need to grind prior to Haven and Monster Park being unlocked except for a little Lucky Square.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 25, 2016

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

My Ruff has mastered Monster Masher and oh boy is it going to hurt when ever I decide to change him to something else and loss Scorch.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've fallen WAY behind on playing this game but it now officially has priority over Dead Rising and SMT4A

I originally opened this tab to complain about the encounter rate in the volcano are on the second island but then Maribelle learned Bang. Nevermind.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've fallen WAY behind on playing this game but it now officially has priority over Dead Rising and SMT4A

I originally opened this tab to complain about the encounter rate in the volcano are on the second island but then Maribelle learned Bang. Nevermind.

Bang solves a lot of pre-Alltrades problems.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you cheat at lucky square there is no more difficulty until the postgame

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

in the original release, at that level maribel learned a skill that let her mimic back any attack that hit her.
bang is so much better an option

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AriadneThread posted:

in the original release, at that level maribel learned a skill that let her mimic back any attack that hit her.
bang is so much better an option

gently caress, I'd just about forgotten that she got Retaliate instead of Bang. Yes, huge improvement.

Of course Kiefer also learned more than one ability, but I'm not convinced ParryPass was ever a good idea (why would I want to spend a turn making my party member with the highest HP pass off attacks to someone else?) so that basically just left Psyche Up.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Prism posted:

gently caress, I'd just about forgotten that she got Retaliate instead of Bang. Yes, huge improvement.

Of course Kiefer also learned more than one ability, but I'm not convinced ParryPass was ever a good idea (why would I want to spend a turn making my party member with the highest HP pass off attacks to someone else?) so that basically just left Psyche Up.

but passing the buck is is true to kiefer's character

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AriadneThread posted:

but passing the buck is is true to kiefer's character

I can't disagree.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
kiefer's a fuckboi

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kiefer is the best.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm gonna punch Kiefer in the mouth.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I've played a fair share of Pokemon-esque monster raising games but the DQM series is still the only one where it really feels like you achieved something when you snag a rare monster, especially early on.

Stumbling into getting a metal slime and metal hunter before even taking the D rank trial in Terry's remake ain't half bad

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I feel like they made him ever so slightly more tolerable in the remake. Not sure if they changed anything or if it's just the translation having more characters to work with.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Fourth island spoiler:

Auuuuuuuuugh I'm so mad, partially at myself, partially at the game. I never visited the woodcutter so I had no idea who the person who could talk to animals was, so I was in a desperate panic running around the island. If you talk with your party members, Maribelle will be like "Hmmm, I don't think anyone who can talk to animals is here" in the castle town and in the fishing village, but if you go to the castle she says "You think maybe there's someone who can talk to animals in the castle?" I took that as a hint and spent the last 20 minutes trying to talk to every single person in the castle five times, only to get mad and give up and stumble on the Woodcutter when I wondered if I had been there before.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
someone said that there is a marker in the book if you have recruited a monster, but i'm not seeing it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You only get the stamp if you beat that monster's tablet dungeon.

I am completely wrong, see below.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 26, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

someone said that there is a marker in the book if you have recruited a monster, but i'm not seeing it.

There's a little picture of a slime next "Ease of taming" on the right hand side

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying out Dragon Warrior 1 now on the GBC.

What's this?
The Key?
Where's the Key?
Where's the Key?

(I'm not very good at NES/GB RPGs, definitely more of a SNES-era fan but I'm giving it a try!)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Your Computer posted:

I'm trying out Dragon Warrior 1 now on the GBC.

What's this?
The Key?
Where's the Key?
Where's the Key?

(I'm not very good at NES/GB RPGs, definitely more of a SNES-era fan but I'm giving it a try!)

You buy keys. Find the key maker.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I got the snappy slippers from the stamp rewards, and I have to say I can't even tell if there actually a difference in movement speed with them equipped. Maybe just getting them upgrades the movement speed?

Edit: or maybe it's just on the world map in which case it's pretty worthless at this point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

In Training posted:

There's a little picture of a slime next "Ease of taming" on the right hand side

nah, they aren't showing up at all. maybe the earlier access to monster recruiting just doesn't register until you get far enough in the story that you can actually do something with them?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

nah, they aren't showing up at all. maybe the earlier access to monster recruiting just doesn't register until you get far enough in the story that you can actually do something with them?

You have to talk to the guy in the Monster Park to get them to appear. The guy you give enclosures to, not the tablet guy or Dogsbody. That's the point where you drop them off and the marks appear.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 26, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LostRook posted:

You have to talk to the guy in the Monster Park to get them to appear. The guy you give enclosures to, not the tablet guy or Dogsbody. That's the point where you drop them off and the marks appear.

that's what i figured, yeah. the early empty monster park is just there so you can accumulate monsters until you reach the point where you would normally be able to access it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Decus posted:

I feel like they made him ever so slightly more tolerable in the remake. Not sure if they changed anything or if it's just the translation having more characters to work with.

Him being so much taller than Hero just makes it look like he's pushing the kid around

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You buy keys. Find the key maker.

Yeah, I'm just poking fun at the way the game phrases it :3:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does anybody remember which town it was that had an old man you could talk to to change character names? I know it existed somewhere but I've forgotten where I ran into him.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In Training posted:

Does anybody remember which town it was that had an old man you could talk to to change character names? I know it existed somewhere but I've forgotten where I ran into him.

Alltrades Abbey in the present. I think he's in the basement.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Kiefer's kinda framed as the hero, being the dashing prince, the Midenhall of the early trio, and the most proactive about solving the mysteries of the world, but he continually runs away from his responsibilities and ultimately can't even bring himself to talk to his best friend (much less his family) directly before leaving forever. Kiefer's a chump

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i know lizardmen aren't available until very late in the game, but what was the other late game base class? i'm trying to figure out which of the 5 final monsters have roadblocks. peacock doesn't, as someone already mentioned.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

LostRook posted:

Tablet dungeons making sure to kill the desired monster last. It took me about 180 kills to get 5 for some of the monsters. That seems like somewhere between 1/10 and 1/20 chance, since you can only get a heart from the last monster killed.

Edit: Kills not battles

I've killed about 800 kingfuschias in the tablet dungeon that's nothing but kingfuschias, and haven't gotten a single heart. Am I somehow sabotaging myself by killing them with boomerangs, so there's not just a single "last" monster? I'll switch to single-target weapons and see if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

i know lizardmen aren't available until very late in the game, but what was the other late game base class? i'm trying to figure out which of the 5 final monsters have roadblocks. peacock doesn't, as someone already mentioned.

I think both Rockbomb, Berserker and Goodybag all are fairly late. Berserker is in the 2nd to last colored fragement island, Jewelbag is on the last colored fragment island, Rockbomb is the 2nd grey fragment. I think a couple of them will be in world map treasure chests that you can get quite a bit earlier but I can't remember which specifically or where, though I'm pretty sure it's Rockbomb.

Mountaineer posted:

I've killed about 800 kingfuschias in the tablet dungeon that's nothing but kingfuschias, and haven't gotten a single heart. Am I somehow sabotaging myself by killing them with boomerangs, so there's not just a single "last" monster? I'll switch to single-target weapons and see if it helps.

Only kingfuschias? I'm not actually sure if the received dungeons also have the boosted drop rate. I only ever used created dungeons. Trying single target may help, but if you go twenty battles without a drop you should probably call it off.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 26, 2016