Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

I can't get excited by anything written by Gerry Conway in 2016.

Carnage has been surprisingly readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I unironically think Carnage is the best series out of any of the comics related to Spider-Man right now.

Granted, there's really not that much competition.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aw, did SIlk get lovely? I've had awful medical bills so I can't keep up with it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth posted:

I unironically think Carnage is the best series out of any of the comics related to Spider-Man right now.

Granted, there's really not that much competition.

Uh, Silk is a comic that exists. And Spider-Man started great and is getting better, and Spider-Woman's been consistently excellent for the last like two years.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 17, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Silk's introduction put me so off from her that I never wanted to give her stand-alones a shot.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth posted:

Silk's introduction put me so off from her that I never wanted to give her stand-alones a shot.

Dan Slott wrote a terrible Cindy Moon.

Dan Slott has absolutely nothing to do with the creative team that's pushing out Silk.

Silk is probably the best female-lead comic that Marvel's putting out right now (it's either her or Gwenpool), and it's an absolute must-read.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I think it's okay, and there have been good moments in the relaunch, but for me, the art is a drag and just makes me feel sad reading it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I definitely prefer Stacey Lee's artwork, but that's mostly because Stacey Lee is one of the best comic book artists currently working right now. Tana Ford's art is totally serviceable and, more importantly, Robbie Thompson has been absolutely killing it on writing.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I think that Silk is fantastic. It's weird to say this, but it's the most realistic portrayal of a superhero with psychological issues (including social awkwardness) from being locked in a bunker for 10 years I can imagine, while still having a lot of fun with some inventive stories. I did not expect the search for her parents to take the turn it did in the latest issue, even with them going into the Negative Zone, and it was wonderful. Her supporting cast is great and JJJ thinking that Silk's amazing never gets old to me so I really recommend it if you want a Spider-story that's just rolling on nicely.
Robbie Thompson's writing makes him seem so genuinely thrilled to be writing whatever he's writing in the Marvel universe. :allears: I do miss Stacey Lee as well though, Tana Ford is solid but unspectacular.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Dan Slott wrote a terrible Cindy Moon.

Dan Slott has absolutely nothing to do with the creative team that's pushing out Silk.

Silk is probably the best female-lead comic that Marvel's putting out right now (it's either her or Gwenpool), and it's an absolute must-read.

Mockingbird is better than Silk. But Silk is good. I don't read Gwenpool but I doubt it's better than Mockingbird.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd take your guys' word for it and read Silk for myself, but I've already got enough on my plate as it is when it comes to reading comics.

So, maybe sometime later? I have no idea when I'd get around to it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

X-O posted:

Mockingbird is better than Silk. But Silk is good. I don't read Gwenpool but I doubt it's better than Mockingbird.

Glenpool started strong, but right now I think it's kinda in between arcs. The next issue or two I expect things to pick up. But really, for Gwenpool ymmv depending on how goofy and meta you want your leads.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Not saying any of these are better, but Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl are also great, Marvel is killing it on the lady books.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And Black Widow. Always getting overlooked like the pre Secret Wars Elektra book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

And Black Widow. Always getting overlooked like the pre Secret Wars Elektra book.

I actually think part of that is that Waid and Samnee aren't doing anything you wouldn't expect from a Widow book. Their Daredevil run was so well-received because it played against the accepted wisdom of how you do Daredevil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been reading my Marvel Masterworks: Spider-man issues again, and I always forget how loving goofy Green Goblin's first appearance is. He convinces a movie producer, while in full Goblin costume, to make a movie starring Spider-man. And Spider-man is ok with it.

The loving Vulture had a more respectable first issue.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When you straddle a rocket-powered broomstick that looks like it's spewing pixie dust, it's hard to have a respectable first appearance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I never noticed before, but there sure is a lot of weird misplaced machismo in these old comics. Superheroes constantly offer to help Spider-man fight villains, but he's like "No, I have to do this myself!". At one point Daredevil just completely leaves Spidey hanging because he figures Spider-man "wants first crack" at the villain. I think the worst one is that Human Torch shows up to help Spidey fight the Sinister Six while they've got Aunt May and Betty Brant hostage, and he's still like "Nah I can do it myself."

Fighting super-powered murderers isn't a game, you guys.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

I never noticed before, but there sure is a lot of weird misplaced machismo in these old comics. Superheroes constantly offer to help Spider-man fight villains, but he's like "No, I have to do this myself!". At one point Daredevil just completely leaves Spidey hanging because he figures Spider-man "wants first crack" at the villain. I think the worst one is that Human Torch shows up to help Spidey fight the Sinister Six while they've got Aunt May and Betty Brant hostage, and he's still like "Nah I can do it myself."

Fighting super-powered murderers isn't a game, you guys.

Well it was the 60s, and Steve Ditko was one of the guys on the creative team and he's all about self-reliance...

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lurdiak posted:

I've been reading my Marvel Masterworks: Spider-man issues again, and I always forget how loving goofy Green Goblin's first appearance is. He convinces a movie producer, while in full Goblin costume, to make a movie starring Spider-man. And Spider-man is ok with it.

The loving Vulture had a more respectable first issue.

I can't remember if it is Vulture's first or second appearance but when he starts out his MO is just flying through your window with a handgun and robbing you, it's great. Early Spider-Man is entirely made up of themed bank robbers and people driven insane by science, and Kraven. I am reading through the super old stories at the moment and one thing I really like about the villains is that even though being a good villain in a Spider-Man action scene means you can fight him when he is swinging and/or when he is on the ground, Lee and (probably moreso) Ditko make all their villains move in nice, distinctive ways. Vulture has his big arm-wings, Sandman has his flowy sand body, Scorpion climbs buildings and walks in this hunched over way that differentiates him from Spider-Man very nicely. This is why Green Goblin rides a mechanical broomstick, and then switches to the bat-flying thing. I think I like the broomstick more because he can sit on it in funny ways instead of standing with his legs spread wide on his little bat glider, but I love how many scenes he shows up in where he's standing around having a conversation with someone with the glider folded up between his legs.

Also when Daredevil shows up I started noticing the movement of the characters more, because Ditko draws Daredevil's movements and acrobatics exactly the same way he draws Spider-Man's, which made me appreciate how differently all the other characters move and hold themselves.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, Ditko's a master. I love Romita but his buff dudes tend to be kinda swappable. Early Spider-man had a lot of interesting visuals all over, from the very oddly-designed villains to the variety in the action pages. Ditko really knew how to compose a panel, too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ditko can throw people off when people first experience his art (like every Spider-Man does at some point) because his faces can be a little rougher and they're very expressive in a way you don't see from early Silver Age where it seems so many of his contemporaries have a more polished look, like Romita who had a commercial illustration background.

But man, once you appreciate his work there's no one like him. The way his Spider-Man is constantly contorted and positioned in a way that would be so awkward for other heroes is still unmatched today. Credit for that kind of stuff usually goes to McFarlane, Bagley, Larsen, or even Frenz (who I loved) but those guys all do Spider-Man with his poses always somewhat self-consciously cool or gymnastic whereas Ditko's Spider-Man often seemed just on the verge of pure flailing, which sounds bad but it made the art so dynamic and made it look like the fights were more dangerous. I'm a huge fan of Jackie Chan's Drunken Master movies and that style of drunken boxing is what Ditko's Spider-Man reminds me of, where he's able to fight effectively in a way that looks like he's about to trip over his own feet.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, Ditko's a master. I love Romita but his buff dudes tend to be kinda swappable. Early Spider-man had a lot of interesting visuals all over, from the very oddly-designed villains to the variety in the action pages. Ditko really knew how to compose a panel, too.

I think one of the things I'd fault Ditko for actually is that his panel layouts and compositions can be pretty boring. Sometimes they're good, and his action is always really nice and clear, but there's a lot of boring panels where he's just showing you that X number of people are standing in a room in this scene, rather than trying to communicate anything further than that. It's mostly just the period and the state of comics that he was working in, though, as opposed to even the 70s where there's a lot more dynamism in pages. The story where Spider-Man gets a bunch of stuff dropped on him and then he slowly lifts it and throws it away is notable for spending a good two or three pages on that moment, and I think the way it ends with a full page of Spider-Man throwing the debris away is maybe the only full-page panel Dikto does in a story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Red Bones posted:

I think one of the things I'd fault Ditko for actually is that his panel layouts and compositions can be pretty boring. Sometimes they're good, and his action is always really nice and clear, but there's a lot of boring panels where he's just showing you that X number of people are standing in a room in this scene, rather than trying to communicate anything further than that. It's mostly just the period and the state of comics that he was working in, though, as opposed to even the 70s where there's a lot more dynamism in pages. The story where Spider-Man gets a bunch of stuff dropped on him and then he slowly lifts it and throws it away is notable for spending a good two or three pages on that moment, and I think the way it ends with a full page of Spider-Man throwing the debris away is maybe the only full-page panel Dikto does in a story.

Ditko actually did a full page splash for each member of the Sinister Six fighting Spidey in the first annual. They're really freaking cool and heighten the drama and make the issue feel like a big deal compared to the normal sized ones.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Did they lose the regular Doc Ock action figure and had to go with the Aqua Assault version to complete their lineup?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ock felt being underwater would negate Spider-man's speed and the diving gear would give him an additional advantage. It does make the sequence a bit less iconic-looking, but it was a neat plan. Plus he gets to say some dumb poo poo about it being fitting because he's Dr. OCTOPUS.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Also shouldn't Spider-man's web shooters not work underwater? If so that's a neat idea.

I loved that Annual. The Sinister Six make Spidey take them on in six Lion's Den matches. And he wins.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

Also shouldn't Spider-man's web shooters not work underwater? If so that's a neat idea.

They don't work in the sense that he can't fire a line through the water but they still release webs. There's a panel shortly after where he does and it spools out into a big mess between him and Ock.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

I loved that Annual. The Sinister Six make Spidey take them on in six Lion's Den matches. And he wins.

how does ock not just sink with those ridiculous metal arms attached to him

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Manatee Cannon posted:

how does ock not just sink with those ridiculous metal arms attached to him

How does a metal boat or submarine work, anyway? Too complicated for DOCTOR OTTO OCTAVIUS, surely!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

How does a metal boat or submarine work, anyway? Too complicated for DOCTOR OTTO OCTAVIUS, surely!

Yeah I'm guessing he didn't hollow his arms out to fill with ballast tanks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lobok posted:

They don't work in the sense that he can't fire a line through the water but they still release webs. There's a panel shortly after where he does and it spools out into a big mess between him and Ock.

HEY NO the octopus should be doing that

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Chickenwalker posted:

Yeah I'm guessing he didn't hollow his arms out to fill with ballast tanks.

What if they were always built with a ballast tanks in them the entire time?

I just blew your mind, didn't I.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Water displacement. Do you not know how boats work?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

The thing about that scene which I thought was oddest was how, before the Goblin says he can get Spider-Man to play himself, the producer is talking about how he'll get one of the Beatles to do it.

Of course, this is only a few months (?) after Reed Richards lost all of the Fantastic Four's money because he made bad investments and they only recovered financially by starring in a Fantastic Four movie produced by Namor, who had bought a production company with sunken treasure from a shipwreck.

The Question IRL posted:

Another thing I only realised recently is that there's something like 25 years between the first and second appearances of the Sinister Six operating as a unified supervillain team-up. They're in that annual, which I think is 1964, then I don't think they're back until Michelinie is writing in 1989 or so.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 26, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another thing I only realised recently is that there's something like 25 years between the first and second appearances of the Sinister Six operating as a unified supervillain team-up. They're in that annual, which I think is 1964, then I don't think they're back until Michelinie is writing in 1989 or so.

Yeah the Frightful Four over in FF were making lots of appearances but for some reason writers didn't use the Sinister Six for a long time.

I think the stories are better for it, honestly. It should only be a special event. The more Spider-Man is able to defeat all six the less important or scary any single one of them is. You also need to keep thinking of increasingly contrived reasons for why they wouldn't all team up at the same time and win or why they would choose to fight only one at a time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another thing that I remember surprising me the first time I read any Lee/Ditko Spider-Man (having only been familiar with the Spider-Man '94 cartoon and the first Sam Raimi movie) was that in those issues, Doctor Octopus is effectively his arch-enemy. Goblin has some big stories but even after he discovers Peter's secret identity, he's not his biggest villain. He doesn't become that until he kills Gwen, and even after that story, he's dead and gone for about 25 years until the third act of the Clone Saga. Meanwhile, Ock is the first villain who beats Spider-Man, the first who unmasks him, the one who organises and leads the Sinister Six, and he's the one who's was revealed as the true villain in the Master Planner storyline.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another thing that I remember surprising me the first time I read any Lee/Ditko Spider-Man (having only been familiar with the Spider-Man '94 cartoon and the first Sam Raimi movie) was that in those issues, Doctor Octopus is effectively his arch-enemy. Goblin has some big stories but even after he discovers Peter's secret identity, he's not his biggest villain. He doesn't become that until he kills Gwen, and even after that story, he's dead and gone for about 25 years until the third act of the Clone Saga. Meanwhile, Ock is the first villain who beats Spider-Man, the first who unmasks him, the one who organises and leads the Sinister Six, and he's the one who's was revealed as the true villain in the Master Planner storyline.

Before Norman came back I doubt there would have been a Spider-Man fan who questioned Ock being Spider-Man's greatest enemy. I get the feeling Slott wanted to go back to that.

The only other contenders would be Hobgoblin, Venom, and Harry. Even in the 80s though when the answer might be Hobgoblin or Harry there were some big Dr. Octopus appearances. The storyline with him, Owl, and Black Cat was great. The sense of dread in the lead up to Spider-Man having to protect Black Cat at the hospital when he knows Ock is coming back to finish her off sticks with me from when I first read those issues over ten years ago.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

Before Norman came back I doubt there would have been a Spider-Man fan who questioned Ock being Spider-Man's greatest enemy. I get the feeling Slott wanted to go back to that.

The only other contenders would be Hobgoblin, Venom, and Harry. Even in the 80s though when the answer might be Hobgoblin or Harry there were some big Dr. Octopus appearances. The storyline with him, Owl, and Black Cat was great. The sense of dread in the lead up to Spider-Man having to protect Black Cat at the hospital when he knows Ock is coming back to finish her off sticks with me from when I first read those issues over ten years ago.

That's something truly unique about Spider-Man.

He has a really great, diverse group of enemies and super villains. But he doesn't have any unarguable number 1 arch-enemy. I mean with Batman, everyone excepts it that the Joker is his number 1 villain. With Superman it's Lex Luthor.

But Spider-Man? He has at least three definite contenders for the crown (Norman, Otto and Eddie) and who knows someone else could come along and become the definitive Spider-man villain for years to come. And that adds something special and unique to Spider-Man stories that any villain can feel like a threat. And not just some also-ran who are holding the place before the big guy comes back.

I that I think only the Flash comes closest to out of any Superhero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

I that I think only the Flash comes closest to out of any Superhero.

Flash is just weird in general because he has so many villains who have the same basic power, which is also the same power as the hero. He doesn't have one villain who you could truly call his worst but generally at any given time they tend to be whoever is the evil speedster du jour.

It'd be kind of like if Spider-Man really did have eight limbs and Dr. Octopus was a big bad guy for also having eight limbs. And then successive villains would supplant Dr. Octopus as the new big bad guy for having more and more limbs. Centipede! Millipede! Godspede!

• Locked thread