Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WrenP-Complete posted:

This makes a lot more sense than random citizens pretending its their reserve duty time for no conceivable reason.

I always thought that we drug researchers had good access to drugs, but whatever vets are getting must be incredible.

traumatic brain injury, years of chemicals, and cheech and chong levels of marijuana is the powerpuff girls recipe to make shim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Young Freud posted:

At the same time, most of the people "stealing valor' aren't actually silent about it. It is almost always for attention. You usually can tell someone whose wearing a jacket from a surplus store and someone whose attempting to impersonate veteran. And if it's an actual veteran, it usually ends up in a challenge and someone having to buy another person a drink when the other can't bring up their challenge coin. I mean, that's how it was done before all this stolen valor stuff and was relatively cordial way of dealing with flakes.

Actually, asking for military ID feels like it's the bigger giveaway, since even retired personnel can have access to military exchanges on base. I know my mom rarely shops at most stores when she can use her veteran husband's ID to shop at the PX for lower price deals.

The other side of that is that people who have actually genuinely seen combat (at least from the ones I've known) just plain don't want to think about it or talk about it. PTSD is common and even those that don't get full-blown PTSD frequently won't talk about it on length; just some "war was awful and I don't want to talk about it." Even those that do tend to not be all "WAR IS AWESOME!!! KILLED ME 90 MEN!!!! OOORRAAAH!!!!" and more "we did what needed to be done. It sucked the whole time."

A ton of soldiers also come home with stories like "yeah I got a drop on this enemy guy, shot him in the neck, and killed him very dead. He dropped and bled everywhere; didn't even scream. I hollered pretty loud, so happy that I killed somebody bad. I searched his dead body for a trophy and found a picture of him with his wife and his children. I never felt worse in my life and never will." It's like the old saying goes; "war is only glorified by people who have never experienced it."

People that go to war, kill a bunch of enemies, and just feel so awesome that they got to kill somebody are probably psychotic.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
cf chris kyle

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

XMNN posted:

cf chris kyle

Marcus Luttrell, too. Special operations units tend to be filled with type A personalities. There's a bit in Hearts Of Darkness, the Apocalypse Now documentary, that's stuck with me where they're talking about the hotel room scene and Coppola or someone mentions something from their military adviser about special forces people being kind of vain, which comes out in the scene with Martin Sheen being really focused on his lips when he's freaking out in front of the mirror.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I killed a bad guy in a war once and he dropped some coins and some other cool stuff before his body flashed away. I killed a bunch of bad guys, actually.

If anyone wants to lavish me with praise for being a hero then go ahead.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

cumshitter posted:

I killed a bad guy in a war once and he dropped some coins and some other cool stuff before his body flashed away. I killed a bunch of bad guys, actually.

I imagine this is what being a drone pilot is like.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cumshitter posted:

Thank you for your service. :911:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

cumshitter posted:

Veterans of the Console Wars are an underappreciated bunch.

*gets thousand yard stare after hearing someone mention "TurboGrafx 16"*

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you for your support, but the real heroes are America's educators. I wasn't special ops or anything, I was just a regular soldier.

I was discharged with full honors after my knees gave out. I just couldn't rocket jump anymore.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gennifer Flowers posted:

Collect the coins to unlock new weapons for your drone.
Now with achievements!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Veterans of the Console Wars are an underappreciated bunch.

*gets thousand yard stare after hearing someone mention "TurboGrafx 16"*

i remember reading an article about army guys who would sit inside playing Call of Duty all the time until gunfire happened, they'd rush outside, return fire as needed, then come back in and resume playing Call of Duty

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i remember reading an article about army guys who would sit inside playing Call of Duty all the time until gunfire happened, they'd rush outside, return fire as needed, then come back in and resume playing Call of Duty

Things got wild on the PS Vita's during convoys.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I hope those guys were playing offline co-op. You don't go AFK and leave a fellow teammate behind like that.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So is there actually something you should say to veterans or solders that isn't something retarded and condescending like "thank you for your service to are nation :911:"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So is there actually something you should say to veterans or solders that isn't something retarded and condescending like "thank you for your service to are nation :911:"

You could just say, like "hello, how are you today?" or something. You know, don't fawn over them just talk to them like you would any other human being.

Also never, ever ask "did you kill anybody?" Seriously, just don't. Statistically speaking they probably didn't first off and second off most vets hate that question. And also get it asked it roughly 5 trillion times throughout their lives.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
caveat: it is completely acceptable to ask this question to a veteran of the vietnam war (or earlier), if the person you are asking is directly related to you

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you're a true patriot you immediately suck them off the second you learn that they served. They may fight you, but you have to persevere. It is your duty as a citizen to bring them to climax, forcibly if need be.

It's not just about honoring the flag. You have to honor the pole too.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

cumshitter posted:

If you're a true patriot you immediately suck them off the second you learn that they served. They may fight you, but you have to persevere. It is your duty as a citizen to bring them to climax, forcibly if need be.

It's not just about honoring the flag. You have to honor the pole too.

This but also please don't forget to ring up my discount.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Just give me a dollar. Words are meaningless.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Subterfrugal posted:

This but also please don't forget to ring up my discount.

always learning new ways to say "cup the balls"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

All the PTSD talk touches my heart.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

In today's hosed up Sovcit news (well, three days ago), a guy who's been charged with killing his infant child tries to pull all the classic stops! Dismissing his lawyer, screaming about being a "sovereign citizen," deploying the "didn't consent" line, etc., which seems to (obviously) only have resulted in him digging a bigger hole:

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/11180388-74/levys-jury-charges

Would one of the legal-minded folks here care to comment on how jury selection works in the event that a defendant chooses to represent themselves? Are they typically allowed to participate in the process, assuming they don't disqualify themselves via Sovcit nonsense?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A ton of soldiers also come home with stories like "yeah I got a drop on this enemy guy, shot him in the neck, and killed him very dead. He dropped and bled everywhere; didn't even scream. I hollered pretty loud, so happy that I killed somebody bad. I searched his dead body for a trophy and found a picture of him with his wife and his children. I never felt worse in my life and never will." It's like the old saying goes; "war is only glorified by people who have never experienced it."

"I confess without shame that I am tired & sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. Even success, the most brilliant is over dead and mangled bodies […] It is only those who have not heard a shot, nor heard the shrills & groans of the wounded & lacerated (friend or foe) that cry aloud for more blood & more vengeance, more desolation & so help me God as a man & soldier I will not strike a foe who stands unarmed & submissive before me but will say ‘Go sin no more.’"

William Sherman is the greatest military general of all time.

Shoutout to Jastiger

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

my bony fealty posted:

In today's hosed up Sovcit news (well, three days ago), a guy who's been charged with killing his infant child tries to pull all the classic stops! Dismissing his lawyer, screaming about being a "sovereign citizen," deploying the "didn't consent" line, etc., which seems to (obviously) only have resulted in him digging a bigger hole:

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/11180388-74/levys-jury-charges

Would one of the legal-minded folks here care to comment on how jury selection works in the event that a defendant chooses to represent themselves? Are they typically allowed to participate in the process, assuming they don't disqualify themselves via Sovcit nonsense?

Yes. Pro pers are expectes to handle the case exactly like an attorney. Thet are essentially an attorney.
The only exception is if they testify, where they generally can testify in narrative rather than ask questions of themselves.

In practice, the court tends to give pro pers a bit more leway, but they don't have to and arguably shouldn't.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

red19fire posted:

quote:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it … Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

Christmas Eve, 1860

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Eonwe posted:

he would fit right in at Innsmouth

The Cowchild of Rightsmouth

A THRILLING Cthonic tale!

In a few hours we get the first ClintonTrump debate, and we get a day chock full of :clint:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

red19fire posted:

that's a funny way to spell Temujin Genghis Khan

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

zeal posted:

that's a funny way to spell Temujin Genghis Khan
He's not some lowly general, he's the loving Khan.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

eNeMeE posted:

He's not some lowly general, he's the loving Khan.

I was gonna say Sherman is the greatest MODERN general, but your answer is better.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You could just say, like "hello, how are you today?" or something. You know, don't fawn over them just talk to them like you would any other human being.

Also never, ever ask "did you kill anybody?" Seriously, just don't. Statistically speaking they probably didn't first off and second off most vets hate that question. And also get it asked it roughly 5 trillion times throughout their lives.

Oh don't worry I'm not completely retarded.

Mirthless posted:

caveat: it is completely acceptable to ask this question to a veteran of the vietnam war (or earlier), if the person you are asking is directly related to you

Cool I'm going to ask that to my cousin once removed who posts conservative image macros, including "lazy millennials aren't in wars" when he was just in the National Guard in Vietnam. Yep, thank you Vince for your service keeping Viet Cong out of Staten Island.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Cool I'm going to ask that to my cousin once removed who posts conservative image macros, including "lazy millennials aren't in wars" when he was just in the National Guard in Vietnam. Yep, thank you Vince for your service keeping Viet Cong out of Staten Island.

Lazy millennials aren't in wars? :psyduck: Who does he thing was a huge proportion of the last 15 years in the sandbox?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Goodpancakes posted:

Lazy millennials aren't in wars? :psyduck: Who does he thing was a huge proportion of the last 15 years in the sandbox?

Look I don't give him poo poo because he has a severely autistic son who's like 23 but is mentally 4 and needs to be institutionalized and super lovely to deal with that so whatever, he's not even all that vile on FB compared to other poo poo I've seen.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

The number of people in the military now (and even at the height of the recent wars) is less than half of how many people were in Vietnam :shrug:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

On the left is Neil Wampler, currently on trial. Guy with the save a horse sign wears a badge and calls himself an "unindicted co-conspirator." Guy turned away from the camera on the right is John Lamb and he was leading the daily marches "around the walls of Jericho" (the courthouse.) Fat legs visible in the back are Sean Anderson.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gennifer Flowers posted:

Drone pilots, especially ones who kill, tend to be at risk for really severe PTSD. This came up in some debates my institution had on the subject of military use of drones. I won't link footage, but drone visuals, especially missile cams, tend to be pretty horrific if you're the person at the controls. The videogame detachment people talk about isn't usually there.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 08:30 on Sep 26, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Discendo Vox posted:

Drone pilots, especially ones who kill, tend to be at risk for really severe PTSD. This came up in some debates my institution had on the subject of military use of drones. I won't link footage, but drone visuals, especially missile cams, tend to be pretty horrific if you're the person at the controls. The videogame detachment people talk about isn't usually there.

There are some really horrendous videos out there. Stuff like watching the guy you just hit drag his legless body away and stuff.

Not fun.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

just talk to them like you would any other human being.

So try to avoid any contact with them at all, gotcha.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Nobody has challenge coins anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

corn in the bible posted:

Nobody has challenge coins anymore

Well that's just lazy. You can buy them online for less than :10bux: