Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't played the original Xenoblade, but I played a lot of X. I ended up dropping it shortly before getting a Skell (still like 30 or 40 hours of gameplay) just because it got repetitive and I had other things I wanted to play. It's not a bad game, but it is a really, really weird one. I totally get why some people would really like it, I haven't played a ton of JRPGs that are very similar, but I also don't know who I'd recommend it to. It's a very odd experience.

I feel like it's going to appeal to fans of collector games - because you're building up your city and getting new people to live there and etc.
As well anyone who likes a good explore. I enjoyed the world outside of Cauldros and I especially liked looking around when I could fly.

Plus I love games where there's enormous monsters. I think they could have gone even further with it but there's something weirdly terrifying to me about creatures so big you can only stand level with their toe and so few games do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ2Nm1doZow

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

As someone who pretty much thinks some sort of deity heard their wishes and made a game specifically for them in XCX, I'd say it's recommended for people who don't mind a healthy dose of anime and a weak main plot if they get the chance to tinker with as many complex systems as possible, necessary or not, and enjoy doing sidequests much much more than the main game.

Honestly, everyone complaining about unnecessary complexity and I'm just thinking of all my favorite games and realizing that's actually the main draw of XCX for me. I'm the kind of guy that likes SaGa games, afterall.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Taear posted:

They spend a good while presenting it to you and then they treat your choice as a big deal. Each division has a hangar with people nearby and a gigantic logo and everyone's division is really heavily mentioned and signposted loads and loads.
Yet they're totally meaningless to gameplay.

Meanwhile basically the entire stats system and all the bonuses on armour - which took me a long time to really notice - go absolutely unexplained.

In a sequel I'd be hoping for a more streamlined experience like the first game when it comes to skills. But quests like the ones in X since it actually tells you where the bloody quest givers/handins are. Just take out the ones based on collection items. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the collection system itself but making me drive around an area for 30 minutes in the dark because there's a 0.5% chance a certain item will be one of the blue dots there? gently caress that, thanks.

I started looking up collection items and seeing things like "this item only appears in caves, in early morning, in Oblivia" made me just kinda go gently caress it to all of those.

Oh and the quest to get the flight module that needs enemy drops but you don't get any markers for where said enemies are in their region. I found the Sylvania piece but just went and bought the other with tickets because hell if I know where the Oblivia enemy type was hiding.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh hell no, you can change augments all you want, but the skills/arts system in XCX is fantastic, even if it does lead to the problem where the NPCs feel pretty interchangeable. There are so many possible builds you can make for yourself, so many neat combinations to try. Much more fun than the system in the original XC, to me at least.

Just from a glance at the skills in XCX it looks entirely possible, and broken as gently caress, to make a 100% overdrive uptime build. A glance at some level 60s kinda confirmed it. Whole lot of people with maxxed out offensive stance, the crit power + TP skill, some arts that boost TP gain and/or overdrive duration, and usually one of the 8-10 hit 200% scaling moves that use dual guns or photon sabers I think, among other skills. I noticed Tornado Blade's +tp (and the samurai gunner +tp skill) both seem to give TP based on targets hit, so in multi enemy fights offensive aura -> tornado blade has giving me 1-2k TP sometimes, which means I then go in to overdrive and proceed to skill spam everything until it dies unless I get focused and explode instantly due to offensive stance's defense loss.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

^I'd recommend it to broke brain old PSO fans and people who run around games doing quests just for the lore bits (not a slam here I'm... describing me, I love this game)

I actually like augments but lol @ customizing my entire team's movesets no thanks

This too. Plus the soul voices to make it even more absurd. I get for min-maxxing that doing so would probably make me twice as powerful, maybe more, but that's a ton of poo poo to experiment with that honestly I'd be 100% ok with them just saying you can min-max, but here's a couple preset layouts for each character based on how you want to use them."

That said, I am still enjoying the game and was really happy to get the flight module finally. I'm still not 100% sure on how the hell I see people mention getting 500k-1m+ credit revenues when there doesn't seem to be nearly enough good (let alone of the same loving type) research probes unless you can either buy them outright or get tons of them from quests I haven't found yet. Only the main story and the blonde chick in the suit seem to give out non-mining probes (of which you find shitloads). Due to getting the first AM to level 5 I can see the level 50 skells for sale now and I think I might've made 2-2.5mil total so far so unless money ramps up extremely fast I can't imagine being able to afford any of the level 50 mechs until I'm done with the game at this rate. :smith:

Give me a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 with more and bigger worlds like in XCX, and a more streamlined set of mechanics like the original XC. I'm sure they'll make something in 2019 for the NX. I wish XCX was on PC though. And fully co-op.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I started looking up collection items and seeing things like "this item only appears in caves, in early morning, in Oblivia" made me just kinda go gently caress it to all of those.

Oh and the quest to get the flight module that needs enemy drops but you don't get any markers for where said enemies are in their region. I found the Sylvania piece but just went and bought the other with tickets because hell if I know where the Oblivia enemy type was hiding.

Unfortunately if you miss them out you're missing out on quests that open as you go up the quest chain. I did everything because of that. Which was frustrating but generally it's worth it. For example Professor X's questline has a collectable that only appears in Sylvanium during the night. I think it's a Nopon Rod of some kind.

And yea. Enemy types should be arranged better in the bestiary thing it gives you. I never find it useful and just had to google where to find stuff even if I'd met that enemy thirty times already.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just from a glance at the skills in XCX it looks entirely possible, and broken as gently caress, to make a 100% overdrive uptime build. A glance at some level 60s kinda confirmed it. Whole lot of people with maxxed out offensive stance, the crit power + TP skill, some arts that boost TP gain and/or overdrive duration, and usually one of the 8-10 hit 200% scaling moves that use dual guns or photon sabers I think, among other skills. I noticed Tornado Blade's +tp (and the samurai gunner +tp skill) both seem to give TP based on targets hit, so in multi enemy fights offensive aura -> tornado blade has giving me 1-2k TP sometimes, which means I then go in to overdrive and proceed to skill spam everything until it dies unless I get focused and explode instantly due to offensive stance's defense loss.

This too. Plus the soul voices to make it even more absurd. I get for min-maxxing that doing so would probably make me twice as powerful, maybe more, but that's a ton of poo poo to experiment with that honestly I'd be 100% ok with them just saying you can min-max, but here's a couple preset layouts for each character based on how you want to use them."

That said, I am still enjoying the game and was really happy to get the flight module finally. I'm still not 100% sure on how the hell I see people mention getting 500k-1m+ credit revenues when there doesn't seem to be nearly enough good (let alone of the same loving type) research probes unless you can either buy them outright or get tons of them from quests I haven't found yet. Only the main story and the blonde chick in the suit seem to give out non-mining probes (of which you find shitloads). Due to getting the first AM to level 5 I can see the level 50 skells for sale now and I think I might've made 2-2.5mil total so far so unless money ramps up extremely fast I can't imagine being able to afford any of the level 50 mechs until I'm done with the game at this rate. :smith:

Give me a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 with more and bigger worlds like in XCX, and a more streamlined set of mechanics like the original XC. I'm sure they'll make something in 2019 for the NX. I wish XCX was on PC though. And fully co-op.

You could do that. It's a viable build. There are TONS of viable builds, you just gotta find something to build around and you usually can do it by using the right weapon and skill combo. A lot of people never stray from the simplistic and overused Blossom Dance and Ghost Walker combo, but the depth is there if you want to mess with it. And that's the thing, you don't really ever NEED to mess with any of the deeper systems if you don't want to! Simply leveling to 60 and getting a level 50 skell for yourself is enough for dealing with the vast majority of the games content. Getting into the nitty gritty of infinite overdrive builds, and matching soul voices, and even AUGMENTS is only NEEDED for the higher difficulty bosses. Sure, you could be more efficient throughout the game, but if someone doesn't want to interact with the systems they don't have to at all.

For party members, they get so few skills and you can't customize their soul voices or anything, so it's usually a matter of seeing which skills are good and which are bad and slamming them on. Minimal complexity. The party is pretty much just window dressing after a point anyways, you'll be doing massively more damage than them if you try even slightly with your own build since you have so many more options.

Also the trick with credit revenues is that there's a bunch of research probes in chests all over, but you also really want to slam research probes on spots with landmarks, those give a massive, massive boost to your income. Use duplicators and boosters for an even bigger increase, until the endgame where most of your dupes and boosts will be locked up in getting you 100k miranium storage.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also the trick with credit revenues is that there's a bunch of research probes in chests all over, but you also really want to slam research probes on spots with landmarks, those give a massive, massive boost to your income. Use duplicators and boosters for an even bigger increase, until the endgame where most of your dupes and boosts will be locked up in getting you 100k miranium storage.

There's a chart on GameFAQs which I would link directly but it won't load up for me.
That's the best way to get it all down and get the best income from it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean... I GUESS you could just follow a guide, yeah... I suppose most people don't find shuffling probes around as fun as I do. If you just want to get on with it, these are end-game setups for storage: http://i.imgur.com/ioey4FX.jpg and credits: http://i.imgur.com/o0XMbEO.jpg. Simply replace whatever you don't have with stuff you do.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I only really had an issue with figuring out the combat early in the game and never really had any other issues with it.

Maybe because it was my first open world game but I found enough incentive in exploring everything that I may be writing off some of the things that other people didn't like.

I also actually love most of the score too with the exception of the Skell Flight theme and new LA during the day.

I think the only bit that I was somewhat confused about until it was too late was the Probe thing. That and I should've leveled up mechanical since I keep finding stuff that I cant do anything with because I'm not at the right level (and this is after I've beaten the game). That is, of course, unless there's a way to get those other blade levels up after the game's finished.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SylvainMustach posted:

I only really had an issue with figuring out the combat early in the game and never really had any other issues with it.

Maybe because it was my first open world game but I found enough incentive in exploring everything that I may be writing off some of the things that other people didn't like.

I also actually love most of the score too with the exception of the Skell Flight theme and new LA during the day.

I think the only bit that I was somewhat confused about until it was too late was the Probe thing. That and I should've leveled up mechanical since I keep finding stuff that I cant do anything with because I'm not at the right level (and this is after I've beaten the game). That is, of course, unless there's a way to get those other blade levels up after the game's finished.

You can level up your blade in the same way as you always did, it doesn't change in any way after the postgame. Thankfully.

I also liked the music a lot but it's stupid that music with lyrics blasts out over the top of people speaking. That's sloppy.

And with combat there are just lots of variables the game doesn't tell you about. Or else that you have to really closely scan the manual to learn. I wasn't sure why I kept appearing in my Skell's cockpit for the longest time for example.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 25, 2016

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SylvainMustach posted:

You can get to Blade level 10 at any point, yes. What gives you the most Blade EXP depends on your chosen division, pretty sure, but just generally playing more and doing sidequests and poo poo should eventually give you enough to get to 10.

I think the biggest mistake of XCX, when it comes to player friendliness, is that particular system, as unless you're savvy enough to figure out early that mechnical is VASTLY more important than the other two, you can get pretty screwed at the end of the game trying to grind up a very very slow filling exp bar to be able to do such things as get level 50 superweapon plans or finish up your probes.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Taear posted:

I also liked the music a lot but it's stupid that music with lyrics blasts out over the top of people speaking. That's sloppy.

That's a good point.

As much as it's my favorite WiiU game I think having options for gameplay volume would've gone a long way too.

Edit:
as a baldy I was also sad that I couldn't make my weirdo avatar bald

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Taear posted:

Unfortunately if you miss them out you're missing out on quests that open as you go up the quest chain. I did everything because of that. Which was frustrating but generally it's worth it. For example Professor X's questline has a collectable that only appears in Sylvanium during the night. I think it's a Nopon Rod of some kind.

And yea. Enemy types should be arranged better in the bestiary thing it gives you. I never find it useful and just had to google where to find stuff even if I'd met that enemy thirty times already.

Oh, lovely. I just want my drat probes and poo poo so I can setup better money making. I never even bought a 3rd Amadusias (or tricked out the first two) because holy poo poo everything at 30-40 starts costing 90-200k each and I'd need 5-10x the income to buy that stuff. Even a level 40 set of skell armor for the MC is expensive as gently caress and while I'm sure the bonuses are really helpful I'd never be able to afford it anyways.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean... I GUESS you could just follow a guide, yeah... I suppose most people don't find shuffling probes around as fun as I do. If you just want to get on with it, these are end-game setups for storage: http://i.imgur.com/ioey4FX.jpg and credits: http://i.imgur.com/o0XMbEO.jpg. Simply replace whatever you don't have with stuff you do.

Both links only show single regions but I'll try shuffling some probes around and dropping research probes on places with landmarks (I need to find said landmarks to get the big boost in revenue as well or no?)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Oh, lovely. I just want my drat probes and poo poo so I can setup better money making. I never even bought a 3rd Amadusias (or tricked out the first two) because holy poo poo everything at 30-40 starts costing 90-200k each and I'd need 5-10x the income to buy that stuff. Even a level 40 set of skell armor for the MC is expensive as gently caress and while I'm sure the bonuses are really helpful I'd never be able to afford it anyways.

Both links only show single regions but I'll try shuffling some probes around and dropping research probes on places with landmarks (I need to find said landmarks to get the big boost in revenue as well or no?)

All that revenue and storage is literally contained within those regions, you don't need anything more than those. And yes, you do need to find landmarks to get the boost. Since you have flight it should be pretty easy to get them, most of the ones in Oblivia are high up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't played the original Xenoblade, but I played a lot of X. I ended up dropping it shortly before getting a Skell (still like 30 or 40 hours of gameplay) just because it got repetitive and I had other things I wanted to play. It's not a bad game, but it is a really, really weird one. I totally get why some people would really like it, I haven't played a ton of JRPGs that are very similar, but I also don't know who I'd recommend it to. It's a very odd experience.

To me XCX feels like it would appeal to the same people that actually enjoy the level grind in MMOs, cause that's what it felt like to play it. I felt like I was playing a single player MMO. Especially when it came to the combat with monsters that magically hit me through the terrain from 20 feet away.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Internet Kraken posted:

To me XCX feels like it would appeal to the same people that actually enjoy the level grind in MMOs, cause that's what it felt like to play it. I felt like I was playing a single player MMO. Especially when it came to the combat with monsters that magically hit me through the terrain from 20 feet away.

That... Would happen in XC too, though? It's an RPG, not an action game, it just lets you move around for positioning bonuses and SOMETIMES you can avoid certain AoEs by being far enough away.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The problem with the game for me was that when the Skells started happening, exploration got a lot less rewarding. Once I got the flight suit I stopped enjoying the exploration because there wasn't really anything left to explore.

I had fun though. Definitely got my money's worth.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

All you really need is a couple of Arts TP XX mods, with maybe a Max TP XX for a buffer, and you're in business; you basically never run out of TP once you get a couple of those up, and if you know where and how to farm for weapons it probably won't take all that long to get some with Arts TP already baked in. The only really mandatory thing is using Dual Guns for Ghostwalker so you don't get one-shot, but you can use whatever for melee; most people go with Longsword because the only real on-foot superweapons happen to be Longswords(in particular they go Ether-type for Core Crusher), but I personally went with saber.

As for income, most research probes are found in chests. Also, don't worry about building up lvl 30 bots, the 50 tier is a huge jump up, and the 60s are a huge jump up from that.

If you want to save cash in the short-to-medium term, invest in Sakuraba until it's level 5 and get a set of the heavy on-foot gear; keep it up to date and it'll see you through most of the stuff the game throws at you.

Senerio posted:

The problem with the game for me was that when the Skells started happening, exploration got a lot less rewarding. Once I got the flight suit I stopped enjoying the exploration because there wasn't really anything left to explore.

I had fun though. Definitely got my money's worth.

I spent a lot of time going just about everywhere it was possible to go on foot before picking up the flight module and I don't regret a bit of it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Infinity Gaia posted:

That... Would happen in XC too, though? It's an RPG, not an action game, it just lets you move around for positioning bonuses and SOMETIMES you can avoid certain AoEs by being far enough away.

Not nearly as often. I barely ever had a problem running away from stuff in XC but anytime I tried to run in XCX it was about 50/50 whether or not some homing projectile would phase through the terrain to oneshot me. Everything in XCX feels like its better at tracking you.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Unoriginal One posted:

All you really need is a couple of Arts TP XX mods, with maybe a Max TP XX for a buffer, and you're in business; you basically never run out of TP once you get a couple of those up, and if you know where and how to farm for weapons it probably won't take all that long to get some with Arts TP already baked in. The only really mandatory thing is using Dual Guns for Ghostwalker so you don't get one-shot, but you can use whatever for melee; most people go with Longsword because the only real on-foot superweapons happen to be Longswords(in particular they go Ether-type for Core Crusher), but I personally went with saber.

Please don't imply that you need Ghostwalker to be successful, because it's not true. It's just the easiest way around.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Unoriginal One posted:

As for income, most research probes are found in chests. Also, don't worry about building up lvl 30 bots, the 50 tier is a huge jump up, and the 60s are a huge jump up from that.

If you want to save cash in the short-to-medium term, invest in Sakuraba until it's level 5 and get a set of the heavy on-foot gear; keep it up to date and it'll see you through most of the stuff the game throws at you.

I spent a lot of time going just about everywhere it was possible to go on foot before picking up the flight module and I don't regret a bit of it.

I had Sakuraba at level 5 around the time I hit level 30 (I spent a lot of time exploring early on and spending miranium as I got it) though I have maybe 360k in cash on hand so I doubt I can afford to get a full setup of their lvl 40 stuff right now, I'll keep it in mind though. I've just recently started working on the stuff to unlock chapter 10 but right now I'm running around Sylvania getting the non-rank 5 nodes located and linked up.

Internet Kraken posted:

Not nearly as often. I barely ever had a problem running away from stuff in XC but anytime I tried to run in XCX it was about 50/50 whether or not some homing projectile would phase through the terrain to oneshot me. Everything in XCX feels like its better at tracking you.

I noticed this as well, plus some enemies who just would not stop chasing me. Like they'd keep me in combat for 10+ seconds while I'm hauling rear end away from them in a skell and not aggroing other things, while some other enemies just stop chasing immediately. The only thing that's worse is when the flying whale assholes decide to fly overhead while you're fighting, aggro you, and immediately blow up your skell from full HP because they're level 55+ and you're in a level 30. Then you fail the QTE because of course you weren't expecting to get blown up while in overdrive at full hp. :argh:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 25, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

quote is not edit

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I noticed this as well, plus some enemies who just would not stop chasing me. Like they'd keep me in combat for 10+ seconds while I'm hauling rear end away from them in a skell and not aggroing other things, while some other enemies just stop chasing immediately. The only thing that's worse is when the flying whale assholes decide to fly overhead while you're fighting, aggro you, and immediately blow up your skell from full HP because they're level 55+ and you're in a level 30. Then you fail the QTE because of course you weren't expecting to get blown up while in overdrive at full hp. :argh:

So many combats in the game take place really close to some huge enemy that it's super easy to accidentally catch in an AoE.
Really loving annoying. There's a quest in Sylvanum where you have to fight two enormous creatures that are beating one another up. They're relatively low level but there's a level 60 right near them and it took forever before I could do the quest because no matter what I did I'd end up aggroing the stupid thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

After having just gone through the bullshit that is the Zu Phang boss fight in Chapter 10 I'm going to have to ask: What the gently caress was Monolith Soft thinking with that fight other than maybe "hey who wants to throw a massive gently caress You to players by having a fight that's entirely airborne AND constantly throws adds at you while ensuring you take tons of damage until you destroy 4+ appendages on the boss" because goddamn that fight was dumb.

I'm glad there's a "you are poo poo, how about an easy mode boss fight?" option because even loaded up with beamsabers and poo poo the boss was tearing through my party like it was nothing even before I could kill adds. Considering how bad the game's targeting system is making a fight in the air is insanity.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Skells

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NTT posted:

Skells
These Skells rule.

These Skells suck.

These Skells rule.

These Skells suck!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

NTT posted:

Skells

That was with level 30 skells. Aside from knockdowns in air taking a stupidly long time to recover from it was just doing a ludicrous amount of damage and soul voices weren't even close to keeping up.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Evil Fluffy posted:

That was with level 30 skells. Aside from knockdowns in air taking a stupidly long time to recover from it was just doing a ludicrous amount of damage and soul voices weren't even close to keeping up.

You should really already have a 50 skell by that point, honestly. It's vastly more important for you to have a 50 than for your party to have 30's since they're so incompetent. Then again I have a really poor idea of the balance of the main game due to always doing every single possible bit of side content before progressing.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

You should really already have a 50 skell by that point, honestly. It's vastly more important for you to have a 50 than for your party to have 30's since they're so incompetent. Then again I have a really poor idea of the balance of the main game due to always doing every single possible bit of side content before progressing.

Yup. Skells for your party should pretty much just be hand-me-downs unless you've got cash to burn. I had Lin in the level 20 skell for the final boss fight. :v:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Just saying, it comes after the flight module is unlocked for a reason

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Taear posted:

So many combats in the game take place really close to some huge enemy that it's super easy to accidentally catch in an AoE.
Really loving annoying. There's a quest in Sylvanum where you have to fight two enormous creatures that are beating one another up. They're relatively low level but there's a level 60 right near them and it took forever before I could do the quest because no matter what I did I'd end up aggroing the stupid thing.

Yeah I commented on this earlier but one of my biggest gripes was the aggro ranges on monsters varying by huge amounts but not having any visual indicator of what a given monsters detection radius is. Some enemies can spot you from 50 yards away and instantly snipe you with a punishing energy blast. Others are so brain dead you can literally clip with their model and they won't notice you.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
As far as Skell weapons go, Phoenixes are your friend; fire's not a great damage type, but the base damage is excelent and they hit a huge area. I forgot what drops them, but a storebought one will do. Also highly recommend Beam Scythes. Oh, and check out aug prices for your primary damage types, some of them can be surprisingly cheap.

That said, I can't help much more than that, as by the time I got to that point my ground build was already substantially stronger than my Skell so I hopped out and tore it up on foot(luring the first form into melee range was a pain).

Fun thing is that I had no idea what the boss fight even looked like until a couple of weeks ago when I saw a clip of it, thanks to the game thinking that a big dramatic story boss fight wouldn't be complete without Spores.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm level 43 and while my Income's about 90k after reworking my probes I'm still far below the several million needed for a level 50 skell.

Plus the idea that you need a level 50 skell to fight a level 39 boss is insanity since it'd mean the game expects you to severely overlevel the content. The fight's difficulty was just far beyond anything until that point.

The game desperately needs a "lock on to my target and make a loving beeline for it" option for aerial combat.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm level 43 and while my Income's about 90k after reworking my probes I'm still far below the several million needed for a level 50 skell.

Plus the idea that you need a level 50 skell to fight a level 39 boss is insanity since it'd mean the game expects you to severely overlevel the content. The fight's difficulty was just far beyond anything until that point.

The game desperately needs a "lock on to my target and make a loving beeline for it" option for aerial combat.

Part of the problem is that size is generally a big indicator of power as well. I mean, a level 90 cockroach type enemy sill probably gently caress you up just as much as something like the Simius monsters, but in general bigger enemies of similar levels can be exponentially harder than smaller ones.

And as for income... Search high and low, in caves and on the field for mechanical containers. Hit up all the tourist spots in Oblivia and follow the guide to get maximum resource gain. I thought I was being clever with my setups, but they failed to break like 50% of the income the optimal setup has.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

In a case of 'wait what? Are you kidding me game?' you can fight the Zu Pharg ebtirely on foot and as it is much easier I would say it was even the intended way. You just have to way until it gets nearer to the plateau you start on and then you can hit it with sword strikes that travel 100m to the air or something. Still would have been nice to tell you that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a character in the game who in Japan was apparently DLC called Alexia or something similar. If you do her personal quest to the end you can get a Skell blueprint. The items you need to build it are quite easy to get and you might already have them.
This skell isn't great but it's level 60 and sells for millions.

I made three of them and that's how I bought my skells.

That said I beat the Farg by just having all three of my characters be in skells instead of just me. It was still hard, I hate that fight. Hardest in the game for me.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I did the Zu Pharg on foot somewhere around level 38ish so I'm not sure how other people had trouble.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
It is easy on foot and pretty hard to do in skells, especially lvl30 skells.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ashsaber posted:

Part of the problem is that size is generally a big indicator of power as well. I mean, a level 90 cockroach type enemy sill probably gently caress you up just as much as something like the Simius monsters, but in general bigger enemies of similar levels can be exponentially harder than smaller ones.

And as for income... Search high and low, in caves and on the field for mechanical containers. Hit up all the tourist spots in Oblivia and follow the guide to get maximum resource gain. I thought I was being clever with my setups, but they failed to break like 50% of the income the optimal setup has.

I basically went and found a bunch of viewpoints and then dropped research probes on them, with my best duplicator on the node that sits between two nodes with 2 views in Oblivia, and went up to around 94k income in a hurry, which is much better than what I was making. I need more research probes. I have a bajillion goddamn mining probes since you constantly get them from mechanical sites.

Taear posted:

There's a character in the game who in Japan was apparently DLC called Alexia or something similar. If you do her personal quest to the end you can get a Skell blueprint. The items you need to build it are quite easy to get and you might already have them.
This skell isn't great but it's level 60 and sells for millions.

I made three of them and that's how I bought my skells.

:stare:

Going to go look for her next time I play, I guess.

Junkozeyne posted:

In a case of 'wait what? Are you kidding me game?' you can fight the Zu Pharg ebtirely on foot and as it is much easier I would say it was even the intended way. You just have to way until it gets nearer to the plateau you start on and then you can hit it with sword strikes that travel 100m to the air or something. Still would have been nice to tell you that.

That'd have been nice since I could've dropped probably 150k damage on it in a single overdrive. Assuming I lived long enough. Offensive stance is great until you're targetted by something that hits half-decently. At that point it's basically hoping to fire your "deal X% more dmg when targeted" skills and hope that the target dies first, which it usually does if it doesn't have an insane amount of HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It helps that Alexa is a cool and good friend who is in love with a robot.

• Locked thread