Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Also, marginalized groups aren't some geth network where all of the available information is shared instantaneously between them like some sort of census and they can just spout off an entire novels worth of information on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I Killed GBS posted:

Since when did you turn into an anti-skeleton dirtbag? I seem to recall that being one of the few areas you weren't obnoxious.
im sorry do I know you
Also I've always been pretty old fashioned when it comes to activism, in so far as I prefer actually doing things, going to meetings and rallies and engaging the government rather than sharing memes and being angry on the internet

It also includes talking to people that aren't very politically literate or maybe are even right-wing or bigoted and actually trying to convince them and explain things rather than just smugly making GBS threads over them and telling them to gently caress off (I reserve that for internet posts)

Somfin posted:

My money's on them moving in with a new alt-right roommate and trying to get it on with 'em.

Inco posted:

Because there's already a wealth of articles and writings about lived experiences on the internet, and demanding that someone drop everything and explain the ins and outs of identity politics at that very moment is a lovely thing to do.
hmmm, yess, I am going to tell you to "UGH GO GOOGLE IT GOD", this is an extremely productive and good way to change things around

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Or to put it another way, "my ignorance of transgendered people isn't their problem."

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Deceitful Penguin posted:

im sorry do I know you
Also I've always been pretty old fashioned when it comes to activism, in so far as I prefer actually doing things, going to meetings and rallies and engaging the government rather than sharing memes and being angry on the internet

It also includes talking to people that aren't very politically literate or maybe are even right-wing or bigoted and actually trying to convince them and explain things rather than just smugly making GBS threads over them and telling them to gently caress off (I reserve that for internet posts)

hmmm, yess, I am going to tell you to "UGH GO GOOGLE IT GOD", this is an extremely productive and good way to change things around

I'm Small Frozen Thing you draugur.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

_______________________/

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
But seriously, why should they drop everything to educate you on what you can very easily find on the internet?
Expecting that is basically telling them that they don't mean much to you except as a way for you to learn things

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Inco posted:

Because there's already a wealth of articles and writings about lived experiences on the internet, and demanding that someone drop everything and explain the ins and outs of identity politics at that very moment is a lovely thing to do.

On the one hand, I agree. On the other, there are so many versions and variants of each individual identity that I think it's equally unfair to say you understand someone's identity just because they use a word you maybe recognise. The manifold variants of asexuality come to mind. Like, what's the non-lovely alternative to "Teach me?" "Ooh, I know that one?"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I Killed GBS posted:

I'm Small Frozen Thing you draugur.
Oh I'm sorry I didn't recognize you, in that case, it's not so much as I'm against Social Justice, so much as that it can get very frustrating operating in social justice circles when a lot of the time it seems people are more interested in just being morally superior to others than actually furthering the goals of our respective movements, as in sharing articles or memes rather than holding meetings, events or actually doing things in real life

Yeah, that can be draining, irritating and even sometimes mean that you have to endure hostility from people around you, but ultimately victory is achieved just as much from small victories such as changing one persons opinion on things over and over as large legislative victories, at least when it comes to small societies like mine.

Not wanting to put effort into things all the time is understandable, but acting like it's not understandable weakness but some kinda moral position is something I find very irritating.

Edit: also why ghost

Ket posted:

But seriously, why should they drop everything to educate you on what you can very easily find on the internet?
Expecting that is basically telling them that they don't mean much to you except as a way for you to learn things
But seriously, has anyone ever gone home after being told to google anything, read through it and then been like "oh yes, I will now amend my ways because I read a thing on the internet!"

Setting aside the fact that googling poo poo nowadays you're just as likely to pick up terrible echo-chamber garbage, you convince people by talking to them like human beings and trying to appeal to their emotions much more than with ~great articles~, especially if they don't even have a basis to judge the subject

That is if by the time they reach a computer, they haven't just forgotten it. Or they could read about it in their smartphones I suppose?

Deceitful Penguin has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Sep 26, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Edit: also why ghost

i just googled "icelandic monsters"

And yeah, I hear you on that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Inco posted:

I dunno im sure lots of people are asked about things they know from their friends and dont fly off the handle about it and describe it as "demanding that you drop everything" or whatever other hyperbole as if theyre asking for a 30 minute powerpoint presentation.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I Killed GBS posted:

i just googled "icelandic monsters"

And yeah, I hear you on that.
One of the joys of having been active for poor, foreign, queer and otherwise marginalized people since my early teens while living in the most rich and privileged part of my country is experiencing over and over having people I haven't the foggiest idea who are giving me poo poo, whether trying to beat me up, yelling hate at me or sending me angry internet messages, both to me and most recently, my job, trying to get me fired.

But this is the first time I´ve been called a ghost. Congrats on the novelty I suppose.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Or to put it another way, "my ignorance of transgendered people isn't their problem."
One of the problems with activism is that when you're talking to a member of the privileged majority, it's a pretty easy position for them to take to just go "Welp, this literally isn't my problem so why should I care?"
People in general are not overly convinced by people shaming them for their lack of moral fibre, so when someone is not just wasting your time, it's a pretty positive step that they actually seem to be willing to learn, because they're admitting that they're ignorant on the subject

It can be something as simple as just saying "hey there's this good series of articles/youtube videos that explain things but here's the basics" but actually being needlessly aggressive with people trying to get better is just petulance, however understandable it can be at times

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

zVxTeflon posted:

I dunno im sure lots of people are asked about things they know from their friends and dont fly off the handle about it and describe it as "demanding that you drop everything" or whatever other hyperbole as if theyre asking for a 30 minute powerpoint presentation.

This has more to do with a stranger coming up and asking you questions than it is a friend. You can explain things to a friend if they ask but you can't just be ready for every stranger you come across to interview you for your experiences.

Like, from my perspective I suffer from severe depression and anxiety (shocking, I know) and it's crippling. It feels good when I get to explain my situation with friends, and I wouldn't mind if they had questions. But it gets tiring having anyone that found out I had depression bombarding me with questions about my illness. To explain to them how brain chemistry and psych drugs work and how you should treat every person with a mental illness, not just how I would like to be treated. And all the while trying to tell me how much of an "Ally of mental illness" they are.

Edit: Thinking about it more, the phrase on the Bingo card "Teach me" seems more like the person just tried to tell me I should stop being such a sad sack and make myself happy, then yelling "WELL TEACH ME THEN" when you tell them that's not how anything works.

Ularg has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Sep 26, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Communication is hard, guys. It's so much effort to answer a question when I'm asked.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Picnic Princess posted:

Communication is hard, guys. It's so much effort to answer a question when I'm asked.

yes, it is. thank you for showing empathy for people with serious social disabilities.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

One of the joys of having been active for poor, foreign, queer and otherwise marginalized people since my early teens while living in the most rich and privileged part of my country is experiencing over and over having people I haven't the foggiest idea who are giving me poo poo, whether trying to beat me up, yelling hate at me or sending me angry internet messages, both to me and most recently, my job, trying to get me fired.

But this is the first time I´ve been called a ghost. Congrats on the novelty I suppose.
One of the problems with activism is that when you're talking to a member of the privileged majority, it's a pretty easy position for them to take to just go "Welp, this literally isn't my problem so why should I care?"
People in general are not overly convinced by people shaming them for their lack of moral fibre, so when someone is not just wasting your time, it's a pretty positive step that they actually seem to be willing to learn, because they're admitting that they're ignorant on the subject

It can be something as simple as just saying "hey there's this good series of articles/youtube videos that explain things but here's the basics" but actually being needlessly aggressive with people trying to get better is just petulance, however understandable it can be at times

"ugh i hate people trying to one-up each other on being good at Social Justice, btw i'm super the best at social justice"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Alaois posted:

"ugh i hate people trying to one-up each other on being good at Social Justice, btw i'm super the best at social justice"
hmm yes, being irritated with people talking the talk but not walking the walk is exactly the same as talking about how being in social justice is actually difficult if you actually do things and how this means you don't respond well to internet randos giving you poo poo

im super in need of your internet validation poster alaois, who I definitely know who is

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ok awards for all

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

cash crab posted:

:allears: Cute. Also, I loving love your name.
Thank you :neckbeard: I got it from one of those massive username suggestion megathreads in BYOB in like '08

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Let's keep talking about LGBQT issues in this, the Idiots on Social Media thread.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Rather not make myself look any more dumb. So here's something from R/Nascar:

quote:

Does anyone have an image of Erik Jones Overwatch Scheme this weekend?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That's some primo crawling up one's own rear end with regards to a hobby.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

RareAcumen posted:

Godammit really? Again with this poo poo, Imgur?

Lyrically Brilliant Raps That Beat the Stereotypes of the Genre

And, if you can't guess, it's this poo poo again

I haven't been around Imgur since I noticed them getting freakishly racist- yet still less so that Funnyjunk- so I just use it to rehost images and move on. I forget, was imgur the one obssessed with Bohemian Rhapsody or was that Tumblr?

Quoting this from a few pages ago to say hooolllyyyy shiiiittt, piiiissssss, Immortal Technique is awful. Why would they choose such a whiny, moralising song to champion their cause?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

cyberia posted:

Quoting this from a few pages ago to say hooolllyyyy shiiiittt, piiiissssss, Immortal Technique is awful. Why would they choose such a whiny, moralising song to champion their cause?

What's so perfect was that the same day people here talked about immortal technique being awful there was a "Recommended rap artists with deep lyrics" with immortal technique on there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ularg posted:

What's so perfect was that the same day people here talked about immortal technique being awful there was a "Recommended rap artists with deep lyrics" with immortal technique on there.

Immortal Technique is the one "underground" rapper that the majority of people can name when asked. It's depressing.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

cyberia posted:

Coming back in to drop a shitpost saying I stiiiilll agreeeeee

Go listen to fuckin Blackstar if you want deep poo poo, not Mr "9/11 was faked much like the autism causing vaccines our NWO masters give us"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't know who it is that makes sure this loving Anonymous page keeps popping up on my feed but they need to fuckin stop it. If I had a mind to I'd go find the one I saw a couple weeks ago that was this tirade about THE ROTHSCHILDS/RED SHIELD controlling all war. It'd been a while since I had seen the "evil jew banker" conspiracies circulating.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Looks like someone got written up for being late again.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

- Immortal Technique

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ularg posted:

- Immortal Technique

Hehehe

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
"It's about equality, right?"

http://imgur.com/gallery/tDn94

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

On the asking someone to explain trans issues thing. There is also a huge difference between say a friend wanting to know what the trans experience means to you and how they need to alter their relationship to make you most comfortable, and some random dude you barely interact with wanting a full life story.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Gaunab posted:

"It's about equality, right?"

http://imgur.com/gallery/tDn94

what makes me mad about this one is that in the article shown in the image, it clearly states that the info isn't concrete and very much implies that it's still under investigation. That would be why no one is upset, no one knows for sure if it's fake yet!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

im super in need of your internet validation poster alaois, who I definitely know who is

This just in: A random nobody keeps trying to act like him not knowing who other people are is somehow noteworthy or meaningful. News at 11.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Elblanco posted:

what makes me mad about this one is that in the article shown in the image, it clearly states that the info isn't concrete and very much implies that it's still under investigation. That would be why no one is upset, no one knows for sure if it's fake yet!

I think also the "False Allegations" tag at the top of that article implies that maybe the source is not the least biased one available.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

I think also the "False Allegations" tag at the top of that article implies that maybe the source is not the least biased one available.

Oh yea, I bet hitting that tag on that website brings up a ton of cases where all the facts are reported properly.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

On the other hand, I've never met anyone named Tyler whose face, haircut, affect, etc. didn't scream "I am a rapist", so better safe than sorry.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That article is from mensviews.com.

Also from that site,

http://mensviews.com/brad-pitts-divorce-proves-one-thing-no-matter-how-attractive-a-woman-is-there-is-a-man-tired-of-her-poo poo/

Jonas Albrecht has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Sep 26, 2016

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Just get that Harlequin to repent already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I wish I knew more crazy people because I'd love to be walked through the logical steps taken to reach this conclusion and find out which other commonly accepted concepts, by consequence, also don't exist.

I'm sure I'd only be disappointed, but I like the idea of it.