Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Gazpacho posted:

hoare is wrong, null is good

what a terrible post. the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

null is much more than a billion dollar mistake under generous back of the envelope estimation

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

JewKiller 3000 posted:

what a terrible post. the worst

nice sig

i wrote a perl script this weekend. it was far less bad than i remember.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i wish elm would just let you use nothing instead of the stupid maybe/just syntax

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

hifi posted:

i wish elm would just let you use nothing instead of the stupid maybe/just syntax

not sure what you mean by this, elm maybes work pretty much the same as any other maybes

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Asymmetrikon posted:

not sure what you mean by this, elm maybes work pretty much the same as any other maybes

Yeah, nothing esoteric here:

code:
Maybe a = Just a | Nothing
Nothing can't be used without knowing what it COULD be, otherwise you've just reinvented Null with a new name, with all the downsides it entails.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hifi posted:

i dont think ive ever seen a more wrongpinion

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
3 weeks into writing elixir full time and i dont want to write anything else ever again. i dont even care that it's dynamically typed, for some reason it doesn't seem to matter.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Volte posted:

3 weeks into writing elixir full time and i dont want to write anything else ever again. i dont even care that it's dynamically typed, for some reason it doesn't seem to matter.

it's the pattern matching, it gets you most of the way there
also dialyzer

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

3 weeks into elixir n chill and your type system gives you this look

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

welcome to BEAM town :getin:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

MononcQc posted:

i got a copy of LYSE through work :c00l: the OTP parts especially have been extremely helpful

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'm fine with having nothing be something you specifically use in elm but it feels like you get zero benefit having the just and maybe keywords instead of explicitly using nothing in your type definition. am i missing something? i guess, what more do you need beyond having nothing be a reserved type and making you have a clause for it whenever you use it?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

hifi posted:

i'm fine with having nothing be something you specifically use in elm but it feels like you get zero benefit having the just and maybe keywords instead of explicitly using nothing in your type definition. am i missing something? i guess, what more do you need beyond having nothing be a reserved type and making you have a clause for it whenever you use it?

Just and Maybe aren't keywords, they're values like everything else in Elm. If you didn't have Just, you'd have to let anything of type a implicitly coerce to Maybe a, which is really awful. I think you're thinking that Nothing is more special than it really is, perhaps?

MononcQc posted:

it's pretty great
my only complaint right now is having to do deployments to windows (wanted to use distillery, but it only has scripts for unix, so i'm probably going to have to write some powershell to start the thing)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hifi posted:

do you mean instead of having a type like

type Lomarf = Chome | Mome

and then having a Maybe Lomarf value, you wish you could do

type Lomarf = Chome | Mome | Nothing

because you could do that right now

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

fart simpson posted:

do you mean instead of having a type like

and then having a Maybe Lomarf value, you wish you could do

because you could do that right now

yes, but i was wondering if there was any reason why Maybe was such a killer feature

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the killer feature isn't the actual Maybe type, it's the type system itself and how the compiler checks for exhaustiveness the fact that the standard and community libraries actually adhere to the convention because in order to get the equivalent of an unhandled null value you literally need to type Debug.crash

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the only benefit of using the built in Maybe type over defining your own versions of it is you get all the map and andThen and withDefault type functions in the standard library already implemented

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

fart simpson posted:

the only benefit of using the built in Maybe type over defining your own versions of it is you get all the map and andThen and withDefault type functions in the standard library already implemented

that's a good point. you need that for those OOP-y interface operation things.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The other advantage of having

and then having Maybe Lomarf, instead of defining

is that sometimes you will have a function which always returns a Lomarf (i.e. Chome or Mome), and sometimes you will have a function could return a Lomarf or which could return nothing. Having a Maybe Lomarf lets you distinguish these at the type level, and lets the caller know whether it can return Nothing just by looking at the type signature of the function.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

right - you want to limit Maybe values to as small a scope as possible, but you have to accept that they may happen sometimes for some things. so you don't want to bake Nothing into your types, because it'd be nice to spend a majority of your time assuming that the value does actually exist (and having to pattern match on Nothing all the time is tedious), but you need to have nullability sometimes. hence, Maybe

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Asymmetrikon posted:

Just and Maybe aren't keywords, they're values like everything else in Elm. If you didn't have Just, you'd have to let anything of type a implicitly coerce to Maybe a, which is really awful.

have you considered that, instead, it is cool and good?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rjmccall posted:

ive considered that, op. it's bad.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

rjmccall posted:

nullability should remain explicit as a punishment to the programmer for adding a pseudo-bottom to their delicate artisanal type ecosystem

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Volte posted:

i wish i could write erlang full time, it's just so pleasant every time i pick it up :smith:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

rjmccall posted:

Could you expand on that? I really don't see any downside to Maybes over nulls. It's not even really more typing, since knowing that a value can't be null/Nothing means you don't have to sprinkle in null checks everywhere. I guess syntactic sugar like C#'s .? can alleviate this, but you can have syntactic sugar for Maybes as well--see the proposed ? operator in Rust.

Are you just saying that Foo should automatically coerce to Maybe Foo and not the other way around? I would disagree with that as well (I think type conversions should be as explicit as possible), but I could see arguing for that.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
type classes for .net http://www.mlworkshop.org/2016-7.pdf (extended abstract, not the whole paper)
looks like a clever use of the existing type system

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

using a Maybe-like type instead of pervasively nullable types has absolutely zero downsides and only upsides; there is not a single reasonable argument in favor of pervasively nullable types

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

comedyblissoption posted:

using a Maybe-like type instead of pervasively nullable types has absolutely zero downsides and only upsides; there is not a single reasonable argument in favor of pervasively nullable types

Come now, this isn't true at all! Using explicitly nullable types makes me spend extra keystrokes and slightly more thought about whether a value can be null or not

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
pedantic argument: nullable types (and by extension pointers) are an implementation of maybe types
if there is a value, the thing is not null; if there is not it is null

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

after using some Haskell I never want to go back from Maybe and Either.

either is terrible and left and right should have been named fnargle and blargle

VikingofRock posted:

Could you expand on that? I really don't see any downside to Maybes over nulls. It's not even really more typing, since knowing that a value can't be null/Nothing means you don't have to sprinkle in null checks everywhere. I guess syntactic sugar like C#'s .? can alleviate this, but you can have syntactic sugar for Maybes as well--see the proposed ? operator in Rust.

Are you just saying that Foo should automatically coerce to Maybe Foo and not the other way around? I would disagree with that as well (I think type conversions should be as explicit as possible), but I could see arguing for that.

presumably hes talking about swift , where the "maybe" is explicitly nullable types, and a non-nullable type can be assigned to a nullable type
so you can write
Swift code:
var optionalString: String? = "Hello"
instead of
Swift code:
var optionalString = Maybe.just("Hello")
it doesn't impact type safety, you just need to treat null specially in the language

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

suffix posted:

either is terrible and left and right should have been named fnargle and blargle

I agree Left and Right makes no sense. Should have used good names. Right even kinda makes sense as in ''the Right answer'', so i guess they figured they needed the opposite for failure so that is of course Left. :downs:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Charlie Mopps posted:

I agree Left and Right makes no sense. Should have used good names. Right even kinda makes sense as in ''the Right answer'', so i guess they figured they needed the opposite for failure so that is of course Left. :downs:

Either is not always used for error/ok values, and using Rust's result of Ok and Err always feels weird to me when talking about two different success cases. Then you end up defining your own ADT and you can't use any of the std machinery. I agree though that Ok/Err is far more common though. Haskell has the weird ErrorT which is kind of redundant with EitherT.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

leper khan posted:

pedantic argument: nullable types (and by extension pointers) are an implementation of maybe types
Maybe types are only really useful if sometimes you don't use them (i.e. thing can't be null)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

leper khan posted:

Yeah, but the problem is that languages with nulls effectively make every type a maybe type by default.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

thank you all for beta testing these programming language features for those of us with jobs. i look forward to using the good features after you've filtered them out and they reach C#.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

GameCube posted:

thank you all for beta testing these programming language features for those of us with jobs. i look forward to using the good features after you've filtered them out and they reach C#.

it would be nice if they could remove nulls from c#, yeah. too bad that's basically impossible

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

GameCube posted:

Shaggar alt account spotted

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Asymmetrikon posted:

it's the pattern matching, it gets you most of the way there
also dialyzer

yeah, pattern matching and the convention of using a symbol as the first member in a tuple to indicate success

imo erlang would probably be not nearly as nice without a really strong stdlib + the fact that the community follows OTP conventions. it makes non standard libs behave predictably.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

gonadic io posted:

Shaggar alt account spotted

i mean this sincerely. i used to gently caress around with these toy languages and wonder which features were actually worth using and which ones would just be a waste of time. now i know: if a feature makes it into c#, it's worth using