Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

This was always a no-win situation, really.

The Ancient One is Tibetan. (at least the version everyone is complaining this isn't)
Putting a Tibetan into the movie means admitting Tibet exists.
China is a huge market for Disney. MASSIVE.
China reacts badly to Tibet being mentioned. Vindictively so.
So... The Ancient One being Tibetan was never an option.

The options at that point are "Who can we get who has the spooky, otherworldly air about them that we want for the role" (Tilda can't turn that off if she tried) or "We need one of them other asian-types for the role. Doesn't matter what kind, they're interchangeable." One option means casting someone based on their acting skill and general presence, and the other is kinda racist.

More diversity in casting is a good thing, and here they picked a woman to play this major character that was (usually) a man in the source material. Y'know, exactly the sort thing people had been complaining about.

Easy win: keep Tilda as The Ancient One, cast Asian Dr. Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

homullus posted:

Finally watched the episode last night. I immediately wondered whether the VR tech would be their defense against the ghosty thing, depending on how it works -- giving you something to look at other than the horrors it's showing you.

A soulless android would also be pretty handy when you're fighting someone with a Penance Stare attack.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Squinty posted:

Easy win: keep Tilda as The Ancient One, cast Asian Dr. Strange.

John Cho would've been pretty awesome.

...god, why do I irrationally dislike Cumberbatch so much? He's done nothing specifically to bother me but here we are.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
He just has one of those faces, man. It's not his fault.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

homullus posted:

Finally watched the episode last night. I immediately wondered whether the VR tech would be their defense against the ghosty thing, depending on how it works -- giving you something to look at other than the horrors it's showing you.

Only defense against the Penance Stare is to not be a shithead. :colbert:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xealot posted:

...god, why do I irrationally dislike Cumberbatch so much? He's done nothing specifically to bother me but here we are.

I don't think I've ever seen him be a bad actor, But I've only seen him in Sherlock, The Hobbit 2, and Star Trek 2, so I associate him with bad things.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think I've ever seen him be a bad actor, But I've only seen him in Sherlock, The Hobbit 2, and Star Trek 2, so I associate him with bad things.

Firstly, you take that back about Sherlock!

His American accent was absolutely awful in Black Mass. His acting is always top drawer though. He would have won an Oscar for the imitation game any other year. It's not his fault that Redmayne blew it out the water in the theory of everything.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Xealot posted:

I'd really like to see him land somewhere in the MCU. Also Daniel Dae Kim, but he's busy on Hawaii Five-O which somehow is still running (though I'm sure a Marvel movie wouldn't get in the way of that).

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Why does everybody always forget this character exists? http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Helen_Cho Especially given the implications it has for another character showing up eventually.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You guys are trying really hard to find something to be offended by. I can't possibly be as much fun to enjoy media if you approach every show with the attitude of 'how is this offensive to me?'

The MCU isn't progressive enough because:

Doesn't represent women.

Doesn't represent people of color.

Doesn't represent um, Asians?

Doesn't represent how about Hispanics?

Doesn't represent... gay people?

Doesn't represent I know, Tibetans!

Doesn't represent... give me a minute.

You could certainly call out Hollywood for Asian representation, but this might be the worst thread, save Marco Polo, in all of TV IV to do so.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He just has one of those fanbases, man. It's not his fault.

Fixed. Poor guy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You can have a discussion about racial casting without being offended, chief.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

You guys are trying really hard to find something to be offended by. I can't possibly be as much fun to enjoy media if you approach every show with the attitude of 'how is this offensive to me?'

Doesn't represent women.

You could certainly call out Hollywood for Asian representation, but this might be the worst thread, save Marco Polo, in all of TV IV to do so.

Fixed. Poor guy.

In the future, instead of writing all those words, I find it easier and more effective to just call people bitch rear end chumps. Try it, you'll like it. "Stop being bitch rear end chumps."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One thing they did do is make Wong not just a Asian Manservant but he's supposed to be one of the masters that teaches Strange.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I would very much like to be in on this joke, as I like enjoy hu-mon laughing and "root beer."

If you're referring to ultraviolet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(role-playing_game)

quote:

Paranoia features a security clearance system based on colors of the visible spectrum which heavily restricts what the players can and cannot legally do; everything from corridors to food and equipment have security restrictions. The lowest rating is Infrared, but the lowest playable security clearance is Red

The full order of clearances from lowest to highest is Infrared (visually represented by Black), Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet, and Ultraviolet (visually represented by White)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Only defense against the Penance Stare is to not be a shithead. :colbert:

Hahaha. No, not that ghosty thing, the other one. The Ark of the Covenant one.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Doesn't represent women.

Some people do look for ways to be offended, it seems. However, I'm not sure that this is the case ITT for most posters.

Azhais posted:

If you're referring to ultraviolet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(role-playing_game)

Cool, thanks!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
There has to be some irony that the biggest reason Disney whitewashed the character of the Ancient One was to make it able to be shown in China, thereby increasing the number of Asians (including those in China-occupied Tibet) who will see the movie.

It may be the only time in cinematic history that removing ethnic diversity will make it more likely to be watched by ethnic audiences.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh, we're doing this? I guess we're doing this then. Let me just...

counterfeitsaint posted:

Doesn't represent women.
Represents women almost exclusively as either sidekicks or girlfriends and has a serious dearth of female heroes in the movies despite the fact that over 50% of the world's population is female.

Represents people of color almost exclusively as sidekicks or punchlines.

Represents Asians almost exclusively as nameless ninja mooks.

Doesn't represent how about Hispanics? Has a whole... what, one named Hispanic character in the entire movieverse? Ant-Man's buddy, who is both a sidekick and a punchline?

Do you know something I don't? Did a Marvel movie character come out while I wasn't paying attention?

Kow-tows to a regime that is kind of hosed up in the grand scheme of things in the name of the almighty dollar.

Now, these sweeping caveats don't apply to the TV shows, but here's the thing; until proven otherwise, the TV shows have poo poo-all to do with the movies. The movies effect the TV shows, but not vice-versa, so the representation of the TV shows is inherently less valuable because by default it reaches a much smaller audience. The Marvel TV shows are doing a bang-up job on the representation front. The Marvel movies need to step the gently caress up.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Why does this thread ALWAYS return to "They just talked"????

Do you think... Fitz and... guy from The Mummy just talked? :ohdear:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Xtanstic posted:

Nah, they're going to a new show soon. They already put out the intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-upHSP9KU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

In the future, instead of writing all those words, I find it easier and more effective to just call people bitch rear end chumps. Try it, you'll like it. "Stop being bitch rear end chumps."

Stop being a bitch rear end chump

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Spergatory posted:

Now, these sweeping caveats don't apply to the TV shows, but here's the thing; until proven otherwise, the TV shows have poo poo-all to do with the movies. The movies effect the TV shows, but not vice-versa, so the representation of the TV shows is inherently less valuable because by default it reaches a much smaller audience. The Marvel TV shows are doing a bang-up job on the representation front. The Marvel movies need to step the gently caress up.

Oh thank god. I knew if we just tried hard enough. I'll start an online petition, you handle the twitter campaign.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Oh thank god. I knew if we just tried hard enough. I'll start an online petition, you handle the twitter campaign.

"I'll just crack wise! That means I win!"

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Fitz keeping the robot secret from Jemma can't lead to good things. Hopefully, the writers aren't reading from Arrow/Flash's "Use Secret's to Cause Relationship Drama" tutorial for sucking the fun out of shows.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
dump jemma for robot pls

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The robot is an obvious lead in to LMDs. Whether that's a good thing or not is up in the air.

I'm optimistic that they won't go the Arrow route with the whole relationship drama, since they haven't before and the show has a pretty good track record (barring the first half of season 1)

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 26, 2016

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Spergatory posted:

If tv shows don't count then wtf are you talking about as regards ninjas?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Zzulu posted:

dump jemma for robot pls

Dump Jemma for LMD Jemma.

(If Jed is anything like Joss, that's going to happen. Killing Jemma and replacing her with a doppelgänger for Fitz to be maudlin about is the most Whedon thing possible. "Why can't I stay?")

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Too bad there's no more Ward for LMD Jemma to punch until his head explode while craddling a dead Fitz.

Edit:
Meanwhile, Coulson punches Fing Fang Foom with his robohand.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Xtanstic posted:

There is going to be an awful lot of... unseemly... experimentation with that LMD prototype.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wade Wilson posted:

There is going to be an awful lot of... unseemly... experimentation with that LMD prototype.

Nonsense, she's completely naked because he was just plugging in some hardware

The hardware is his penis

Zythrst posted:

If tv shows don't count then wtf are you talking about as regards ninjas?

Daredevil Season 2

Which was a sad mess. It was 4 episodes of a great Punisher story, a few episodes of a good Daredevil story, and then it went full bore into aimlessness with NINJAS EVERYWHERE.

However it was also the season that made me realize Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a chief parody of Daredevil more than anything else. I always thought it was a parody of other Marvel stuff.

ED: Still worth watching and if you haven't seen DD Season 1, go sign up for Netflix because that was a stellar, tight season. The change in show runner hurt, a lot.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 26, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sticklefifer posted:

I'd really like to see him land somewhere in the MCU. Also Daniel Dae Kim, but he's busy on Hawaii Five-O which somehow is still running (though I'm sure a Marvel movie wouldn't get in the way of that).

I still want them to cast the guy who played the Viper on GOT. I've thought he's a perfect fit for SOME Marvel character since his brief, memorable impression. I know Narcos is doing well, but that guy is just walking charisma that's perfect for the genre.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Still worth watching and if you haven't seen DD Season 1, go sign up for Netflix because that was a stellar, tight season. The change in show runner hurt, a lot.

Don't forget the other shows like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Netflix also have all the previous seasons of AoS, and the best comic book show iZombie.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Blazing Ownager posted:

Daredevil Season 2

Which was a sad mess. It was 4 episodes of a great Punisher story, a few episodes of a good Daredevil story, and then it went full bore into aimlessness with NINJAS EVERYWHERE.

However it was also the season that made me realize Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a chief parody of Daredevil more than anything else. I always thought it was a parody of other Marvel stuff.

He was asking if TV shows don't count, then the ninjas don't count either.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Heh. Ninjas.

They're wacky.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Heh. Ninjas.

They're wacky.

More afraid of you than you are of them

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
boy this sure is a bad conversation, can't wait for the next episode of this good show to come out, though!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

He was asking if TV shows don't count, then the ninjas don't count either.

Well, I didn't say the TV shows don't count. I said they count less because they reach a much smaller audience, so the presence of representation in the shows does not automatically invalidate any representation-based criticism of the MCU.

But you're right, the ninjas are from a tv show and I was supposed to be talking about the movies. At the time, I actually couldn't remember any Asian characters in the movies at all, but now that I've had a chance to think on it, I guess there's...uhh, the one Asian doctor lady in Age of Ultron? And the mandatory Asian in Captain America's Ethnically Diverse Band of Brothers. Am I missing anyone?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spergatory posted:

Well, I didn't say the TV shows don't count. I said they count less because they reach a much smaller audience, so the presence of representation in the shows does not automatically invalidate any representation-based criticism of the MCU.

But you're right, the ninjas are from a tv show and I was supposed to be talking about the movies. At the time, I actually couldn't remember any Asian characters in the movies at all, but now that I've had a chance to think on it, I guess there's...uhh, the one Asian doctor lady in Age of Ultron? And the mandatory Asian in Captain America's Ethnically Diverse Band of Brothers. Am I missing anyone?

Thor's asian friend?

Helen Cho is at least a potentially very important character in the long run if she wasn't just a random choice to take from the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Yes, stories that use old comic book characters (like the Avengers) tend to lack diversity. Hence why Ms. Marvel and Jane FosThor and the new Ririron WoMan and Falcon Captain America and keeping Miles Morales around and Cho Hulk and the huge push for Black Panther are all steps in the right direction, and I'm 100% certain they will be worked into the larger MCU. Whether that's to replace RDJ and Chris Evans so that the money train never stops, or whether it's to actually address the social issues of framing the bulk of heroes as white dudes, I dunno. Not sure if the intent matters compared to the results.

I guess I'm saying that Marvel is fully aware of this issue, and has taken action to address it. They catch quite a bit of flak for it as well, based on little glimpses of internet reactions I see. It still absolutely sucks that it took until recently to get this push though, and it's really just the first step. It's a wobbly situation, and I really hope Marvel will continue to value inclusivity in their characters over the dollars of racist readers. I'd imagine that's the best thing for their bottom line, so...

• Locked thread