Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

realtalk symmetra's turret cooldown should be like 3 seconds

Also let her place them like 20 feet away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imagine how obnoxious symmetra would be if she could place her sentries as far away as mei can drop a wall

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I accidentally nanoboosted a Mercy tonight and an ulting Zen, in comp games, and still ended up winning both games. It was a good night.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Supercar Gautier posted:

To be quite frank, a lot of the time I see enemy Zaryas that just don't do a good enough job to convince me to stop being D.Va. I will switch if they actually give me trouble, but if they're farting around a low charge all the time I don't really care.

This is true as well, though it's probably dependent heavily on rank. I'm on the gold/plat border so of course I'm Not Very Good and neither are the people in my general peer group, but when I go up against a Zarya that isn't glowing and we find ourselves in a little 1v1 duel that what I've started being able to do is shoot at her for a second, get her to blow her personal barrier, fly over her head until the barrier evaporates, then drop back down and simply shoot her in the head, and when Zarya doesn't have much charge you can win the damage race if she decides to be stubborn and try to M1 me to death. Most of the Zaryas at the level I play against are at least smart enough to recognize "my personal shields are gone, time to go" but at that point boosters are off cooldown and you can usually follow up and try to kill them. Or at the very least you've forced them to back off and waste their personal barrier.

It's a different story if they're a good Zarya who can maintain high charge though, at that point you start running into some issues.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Papercut posted:

I accidentally nanoboosted a Mercy tonight and an ulting Zen, in comp games, and still ended up winning both games. It was a good night.

In my experience, Zens tend to ult after they get boosted. It must be a panic response.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What's the best way to grind xp to get to level 25?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

qkkl posted:

What's the best way to grind xp to get to level 25?

Play the game

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Donnerberg posted:

In my experience, Zens tend to ult after they get boosted. It must be a panic response.

It's a shame too because nanoboosted Zen can actually wreck some face so long as you keep him healed up for the duration.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

Play the game

What's the most fun way to play the game to grind xp to get to level 25?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Invite a buddy for the 20% group bonus.

Also win and get medals. Usually healing gets you an effortless gold. Go Lucio and learn to wall ride and get environmental kills.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 26, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

and play quick play, not the brawl or the ai game because they give you reduced xp

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

Call me crazy but when I'm playing Zenyatta and I get gold for eliminations, healing, and damage done when we have two DPS classes (McCree and Reaper) and a Mercy, doesn't that mean that our DPS classes aren't doing their job?

Nah, it just means the DPS aren't shooting the same people you're shooting. Might be their fault, might be yours. Discord makes an enormous difference, and Zen has more staying power than most DPSes.

Theta Zero posted:

The enemy team didn't have a Zarya or a Reinhardt, it was just a Roadhog and D.Va.
Also I checked with one of the people I was queuing with who was playing with Zarya, and he got silver for damage and bronze for eliminations, which I'm pretty sure is also a bad sign.

Well, there you go. Zenyatta devours Roadhog and D.Va, since they're the only two tanks with no way to deal with Discord Orb. And no, Zarya's actually pretty good. Bronze elims sounds just about right where she should be, and she's pretty good at tagging Discorded targets, especially when she's queuing with the Zen and actively working with him.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Donnerberg posted:

He was already ulting! What actually happened is our Rein kept yolo charging into awful situations, and both of us tried to use our ults to save him. Zen transcended and rushed forward (through me) right as I was boosting.

The mercy boost was just a total noob panic situation. Funny thing is it came one engagement after the enemy Ana had ulted their Lucio at a critical juncture.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm really glad to hear they're planning, even distantly, on reworking Symmetra.

I think it's been shown that sometimes a character only needs a little nudge to become a powerhouse, and a new E ability with some actual oomph and strategy could really turn her around.

Where'd you hear that?

Also I don't care about Sombra, I want the guy in the Hazmat suit with the sprayer for some classic Pyro fun.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Father Wendigo posted:

Where'd you hear that?

Also I don't care about Sombra, I want the guy in the Hazmat suit with the sprayer for some classic Pyro fun.

They've yet to have a true "fire" themed hero so far. I'm sure it'll be some counterpart to Mei, obviously; some Chinese captain Planet villain type guy perhaps.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
And if they ever introduce another hero with a healing ability it should be their melee attack which only works if you hit your allies head hit box and consists consists of the hero jamming a fistful of pills into an allys mouth.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
You should apply to bliz for director of game design big picture ideas bro

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
is there something panfilo can be reported for

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
New hero will be melee healer shoving terrible game design ideas into your mouth

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

Where'd you hear that?

There's an interview that mentions potential Symmetra rework, aimed for no earlier than November.

http://www.businessinsider.com/overwatch-symmetra-changes-coming-soon-2016-9?r=UK&IR=T

This is the most substantial TL;DR quote:

"I don’t have anything really specific to talk about right now, other than she is kind of an internal project right now," said Kaplan. "She is a hero we’d like to make some changes to. I think those changes wouldn’t see the light of day until November, though, because we want to do a bunch of internal testing. It’s one thing when we do something [minor] — like, we have a change to Junkrat on the [Public Test Realm] where his Ultimate activates faster, but it’s a very incremental, safe change — whereas the type of changes we think need to happen to Symmetra require a lot more internal testing and discussion."

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Kashuno posted:

is there something panfilo can be reported for

not being on your ignore list already

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I like the idea of Junkrat's ult activating faster (I.e. I'm guessing he whips the tire out and starts it faster) but I wonder if this wont eventually turn into just having it roll faster once started too. You can react to the ult callout pretty fast and a halfway reasonable junkrat will slow-walk the tire a bit and make it head at the enemy from a different angle in order to maximize the chances of getting into the middle of their pack. If they have a hunch people are able to address it too easily I think they're going to find out it's the travel time rather than the activation speed that holds the most sway.

Single-target panic riptires are hilarious though because of the enormity of what the junkrat is wasting.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The riptire getting one kill is a miracle all on its own, so using it to kill literally anything is a profit as far as rip tires go.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

my favorite is exploding it literally on top of me to kill the genji/tracer that just darted around that corner

gently caress you I don't care you're dead and you didn't kill me

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Commoners posted:

The riptire getting one kill is a miracle all on its own, so using it to kill literally anything is a profit as far as rip tires go.

This too, I don't know how much damage it does but I've tanked it as a Roadhog from some fairly close distances before, though I've always died when I hook it and don't manage to instakill it before it blows up in my face. I'm pretty sure I'm never at full health when that happens though. What does it do, 600 damage?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

What does it do, 600 damage?

Yup, but it has falloff damage if you are further away from the explosion point.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone have any tips for playing Zenyatta? I have 11hrs with him this season and I feel like I am pretty good with him but my struggle seems to be aiming and dying a lot

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Probably just playing a lot and getting used to his projectile speed if your focus is learning to kill effectively with him. I personally rarely use his alt attack, so I bound r-click to discord and l-click to shoot. Also know that your Ult won't save anyone but yourself from big explosions, like D.Va/Rip Tire/Pulse Bomb/High Noon. It rocks vs Genji/Reaper/Hanjo and any other damage ults that do damage over a period of time instead of all at once. I have probably close to 30 hours on him and the thing I fail the most at is calling out who is discorded. I've teamed with some goons that are really good at constantly calling out the target though. That may be a drawback of the r-click as I tend to reapply it as soon as I decide on a new target rather than giving teammates more time to focus (since that doesn't usually happen at my level of games).

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Besides shooting, positioning is one of the most important things for Zen. If you make a mistake in your positioning he has no ability to recover, and the only way for him to survive being dived is to fight his way out. You want to fight in a pocket inside of your team, because if you're too far to the rear you are easily isolated and killed. If you're too far forward you will be immediately picked because Zenyatta is a priority target. Adjust moving forward or backward depending on where the greatest threat is- If you know they have a flanker but your team doesn't know where he is, start moving tighter in on your tanks. If they have no flankers and you know where the entire enemy team is feel free to move more towards the rear.

Use charged shots against timed damage mitigation. If a Genji is attacking you and he reflects, discord him and immediately start charging your shot. It has a three second charge time, and he reflects for three seconds. Same for Zarya bubbles, wraithform, etc. Charged shot overall drops your DPS, but it is damage optimization that backloads all the damage you would have not been doing through that damage mitigation. You're a dummy if you unbind your charged shot.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i like to charge up my shot then target the discord orb after i let it go

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I use the charged shot for great affect when rounding corners, but great suggestions so far! I've never considered using it for genji deflects or zarya bubbles

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Commoners posted:

You're a dummy if you unbind your charged shot.

Yea, I wouldn't unbind it completely, but rebinding it works, at least for me. I use discord a lot more than charged shot much, so I just moved them around so it's faster and easier to discord while I'm moving around.

KoB
May 1, 2009

qkkl posted:

What's the most fun way to play the game to grind xp to get to level 25?

Quick Play and learn the game before jumping straight to comp.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

But Not Tonight posted:

my favorite is exploding it literally on top of me to kill the genji/tracer that just darted around that corner

gently caress you I don't care you're dead and you didn't kill me

and their buddy comes around the corner and eats your death grenades

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Commoners posted:

Besides shooting, positioning is one of the most important things for Zen. If you make a mistake in your positioning he has no ability to recover, and the only way for him to survive being dived is to fight his way out. You want to fight in a pocket inside of your team, because if you're too far to the rear you are easily isolated and killed. If you're too far forward you will be immediately picked because Zenyatta is a priority target. Adjust moving forward or backward depending on where the greatest threat is- If you know they have a flanker but your team doesn't know where he is, start moving tighter in on your tanks. If they have no flankers and you know where the entire enemy team is feel free to move more towards the rear.

Use charged shots against timed damage mitigation. If a Genji is attacking you and he reflects, discord him and immediately start charging your shot. It has a three second charge time, and he reflects for three seconds. Same for Zarya bubbles, wraithform, etc. Charged shot overall drops your DPS, but it is damage optimization that backloads all the damage you would have not been doing through that damage mitigation. You're a dummy if you unbind your charged shot.

Even though it's lower DPS, it's also incredible burst. Check out this PlasmaSnake scrimmage, he uses charge shot A LOT. Like waaaaay more than you would expect. But it's because one-shotting an enemy is much more valuable than chipping at them and feeding their supports' ults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqCIrpcr9Y
http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/PlasmaSnake-1279

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DrSeRRoD posted:

Yup, but it has falloff damage if you are further away from the explosion point.

Sounds about right, if I'm willing to hook the tire as roadhog I'm probably busy taking fire and not able to huff paint for extra health right then. It's only got like 100hp so it isn't really difficult to kill but hey sometimes there's enough of a gap between the hook and the meat shot that the tire can get blown up.

In other (better) tank news I'm liking the ability of a moderately charged Zarya grenade to be able to nope that tire with a direct hit. Landing the grenade hit takes some practice but I tend to stick with using the grenade until I've got a good charge for the laser so practice comes with the territory. Being able to completely deny the junkrat their ult over and over is hilarious because you know that shitter's getting salty as hell and desperate.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I try to maximize cover as much as possible with the Riptire and attack from unpredictable directions. Works pretty well. Sometimes it's worth making the most out of the maximum time to set up a nice triple kill vs rushing it and having it get shot down.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What's a good amount of healing to opt for with Transcendence to make the most out of it? I remember healing 1700 with it once.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

What's a good amount of healing to opt for with Transcendence to make the most out of it? I remember healing 1700 with it once.

You really shouldn't be thinking about Trancedence like that. The amount you heal doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is did you save people who would otherwise have died with it.

Generally you want to use it to counter various enemy ults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Panfilo posted:

I'm not a Zen superstar, but I wouldn't think about it as the amount of healing you can do -- you almost never want to wait for people to get hurt and then heal them to get them back up. Instead I'd use it reactively. E.g. They Graviton Surge your team, you should Transcendence right away. Think about it as "what enemy ults did I nullify?"

e: See above. To elaborate, stopping an ult might not mean healing that much. E.g. if you Transcendence a Grav Surge, and as a result their team doesn't really focus your team, you might not have healed that much, but you still stopped a huge amount of damage which would've otherwise happened.