Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Flash is just weird in general because he has so many villains who have the same basic power, which is also the same power as the hero. He doesn't have one villain who you could truly call his worst but generally at any given time they tend to be whoever is the evil speedster du jour.

It'd be kind of like if Spider-Man really did have eight limbs and Dr. Octopus was a big bad guy for also having eight limbs. And then successive villains would supplant Dr. Octopus as the new big bad guy for having more and more limbs. Centipede! Millipede! Godspede!

The Flash has his entire Rogue's Gallery though? Most of whom don't have speed powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The thing that Norman had over Doc Ock, is that he had a personal connection to Peter. Octavius didn't show up unless he had a scheme, but when Norman had amnesia, he could show up whenever Peter was with Harry, and Peter would fill the panel with a dramatic thought bubble, agonizing over whether Norman really forgot or if he's just toying with him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

The Flash has his entire Rogue's Gallery though? Most of whom don't have speed powers.

Oh, he has a ton of other villains but aren't his most evil arch-enemies typically speedsters? I know Captain Cold and Grodd are up there but they don't seem like the ones who really hurt Flash like other villains who kill people close to him.

But I'm not all that well-versed in Flash so maybe I'm way off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Reverse Flash killed* Iris so that made him his worst villain ever evers. Savitar and Zoom were Wally's baddies.

*except she got better

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

Flash is just weird in general because he has so many villains who have the same basic power, which is also the same power as the hero. He doesn't have one villain who you could truly call his worst but generally at any given time they tend to be whoever is the evil speedster du jour.

It'd be kind of like if Spider-Man really did have eight limbs and Dr. Octopus was a big bad guy for also having eight limbs. And then successive villains would supplant Dr. Octopus as the new big bad guy for having more and more limbs. Centipede! Millipede! Godspede!

While Flash does have a number of super fast rogues (and at least one who has Time Manipulation powers dressed up as super speed) he's got guys like Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard, Heat Wave, Grodd, Abra Kadabra and Captain Boomerange who are all legitimate threats and do so without super speed.

And of course his greatest Rogue, the Top.
No one tops the Top.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think it was a huge mistake to bring Norman back and retcon him into having been an evil guy even before he turned into the Goblin. We got some fun stories out of it but it essentially just turned the character into a generic evil businessman first and the Green Goblin second, and completely invalidated the emotional punch of all those old stories. It removes the tragedy inherent in the character.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I think it was a huge mistake to bring Norman back and retcon him into having been an evil guy even before he turned into the Goblin. We got some fun stories out of it but it essentially just turned the character into a generic evil businessman first and the Green Goblin second, and completely invalidated the emotional punch of all those old stories. It removes the tragedy inherent in the character.

Flop sweat Norman was the best Norman. He makes an appearance in Raimi's movie when Norman recovers from his Osborn trance in the elevator up to Pete and Harry's place.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the big difference between the flash and spider-man is that you don't know who any of flash's villains are unless you read the flash

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Wasn't disagreement over The Green Goblin's identity at least partially responsible for Steve Ditko leaving both Spider-Man and Marvel?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's the rumor, yeah. Supposedly Ditko wanted him to turn out to just be Some Guy, which is more realistic. But not only would that be way lamer, they'd already done that several times with previous villains.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

That's the rumor, yeah. Supposedly Ditko wanted him to turn out to just be Some Guy, which is more realistic. But not only would that be way lamer, they'd already done that several times with previous villains.

I hadn't heard about that, though I did know that Ditko's meant to have persuaded Lee to make the Goblin a human criminal in a costume instead of sticking with Lee's original idea, which was that he was an actual goblin who was released from an ancient Egyptian sarcophagus.

Didn't Ditko subsequently backtrack and say that a redheaded guy with Norman's hairstyle he'd drawn into the background of one of Jameson's social gatherings was Norman Osborn and he'd always intended him to be the Goblin?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't disagreement over The Green Goblin's identity at least partially responsible for Steve Ditko leaving both Spider-Man and Marvel?

We'll never know for sure but I would hope that Goblin's identity was not that important to Ditko. I figure it was more like Ditko kept wanting the stories to go one way and Stan kept saying no and this particular time was just the last straw.

Also, Goblin identity stories never go well. Norman's reveal cost them Ditko, the Bart Hamilton reveal was lame, Hobgoblin was a decade-plus clusterfuck of a mystery that pleased nobody... Does Menace count as well? She's not exactly a counter argument either.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

We'll never know for sure but I would hope that Goblin's identity was not that important to Ditko. I figure it was more like Ditko kept wanting the stories to go one way and Stan kept saying no and this particular time was just the last straw.

Also, Goblin identity stories never go well. Norman's reveal cost them Ditko, the Bart Hamilton reveal was lame, Hobgoblin was a decade-plus clusterfuck of a mystery that pleased nobody... Does Menace count as well? She's not exactly a counter argument either.

Don't forget during Mackie's (shudder) run where there was a Green Goblin and Norman Osborn mystery going on for ages....

The resolution was Norman had kidnapped a homeless guy, filled him full of drugs and made him be the Green Goblin.

There was also the run in Thunderbolts where a Norman get's one of his T-Bolts (a executioner guy who I think was called the Headsman.) to pretend to be the Green Goblin as part of a PR spin so Norman can go "See! He was trying to kill me! I was never the Green Goblin!" The beauty of this plan was it was supposed to end with the Headsman dying when his glider malfunctioned but one of the other T-Bolt's fixed it so that this guy could be kept around.

And that character (The Headsman) was introduced in Kurt Busiek's pretty great 90's retro Spider-Man series called the Untold Tale's of Spider-Man, where he was a criminal who Norman Osborn supplied gadget's to that would later become Green Goblin weapons. Which was a nice way of closing the loop.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The only thing Menace is a counter-argument to is the claim that Brand New Day was good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, Web Warriors wrapped up today.

That sure is a thing that happened.

That sure was a comic that Marvel published.

I'm fairly certain I will have forgotten by this time next year it was even a thing. And not even on purpose!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, Web Warriors wrapped up today.

That sure is a thing that happened.

That sure was a comic that Marvel published.

I'm fairly certain I will have forgotten by this time next year it was even a thing. And not even on purpose!

I don't think i'll even remember Web Warriors when it comes out on Unlimited, could you post what happens?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I don't think i'll even remember Web Warriors when it comes out on Unlimited, could you post what happens?

I would, but I forgot (seriously!) and I don't have the issue to hand, so I'm going from half-remembered recollections. Something about an evil Harry Osborn wanting to hijack the Web of Life and Destiny while the Web Warriors are fighting the army of Electros from the first arc, and then I think they someone save the multiverse by playing a rock song? Oh I think Uncle Ben said something wise and meaningful. Anyway, it ended on a splash page where Master Weaver said that no matter what the threat, the Web Warriors would always be there to meet it. The End.

I'm sure they'll show up beaten up (maybe even with one or two dead!) to show the next big multiversal threat means business.

Man, they must be kicking themselves they couldn't have kept the wheels on long enough for Clone Conspiracy, between Anya's dad, Mayday's dad, and Gwen's Peter there was plenty of dead people whose return they could have harvested drama from.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Does Gwen still have her powers in Web Warriors? Or is she reliant on Jesse Drew's spider steroids?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Does Gwen still have her powers in Web Warriors? Or is she reliant on Jesse Drew's spider steroids?

:iiam:

I don't think they ever address it, just like they completely ignore Web Warriors in Spider-Gwen.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The sad petering out of Web Warriors made me sad for Contest of Champions again because of how well that book managed to pull off a similar concept and also deliver a fun ending even after getting cancelled. The most interesting thing Web Warriors did in its entire run was bring back the Spider-Ham 2099 universe for a second.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tato posted:

The sad petering out of Web Warriors made me sad for Contest of Champions again because of how well that book managed to pull off a similar concept and also deliver a fun ending even after getting cancelled. The most interesting thing Web Warriors did in its entire run was bring back the Spider-Ham 2099 universe for a second.

Yeah, Ewing quite clearly is really good at Multiverse Stuff. Give that man an Exiles book, already!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, Ewing quite clearly is really good at Multiverse Stuff. Give that man an Exiles book, already!

That'll be a great 4 issues.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

That'll be a great 4 issues.

Yes, it will. Is that a problem? :colbert:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God I'm getting so loving hyped for Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows. It looks so, so loving good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Was the first issue of that clone thing any good?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It was alright. Exactly what you'd expect. Jim Cheung's art is great as usual.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

howe_sam posted:

Was the first issue of that clone thing any good?

Guess who came back.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Guess who came back.

Everyone. The answer is everyone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Guess who came back.

Back again?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Ben Reilly back? don't gently caress with me on this poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Guess who came back" is actually genuinely hard because off the top of my head there's Gwen Stacy, Uncle Ben, Kaine, Ben Reilly, Dr. Octopus and, I don't know, Moe.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
... Morlun? It's Morlun, isn't it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ultimate peter parker, clearly

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

"Guess who came back" is actually genuinely hard because off the top of my head there's Gwen Stacy, Uncle Ben, Kaine, Ben Reilly, Dr. Octopus and, I don't know, Moe.

Yes but there is one character who comes back every clone saga. Without fail she is there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes but there is one character who comes back every clone saga. Without fail she is there.

Aunt May? did they kill her again?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Aunt May? did they kill her again?

She wasn't dead the first time. This is like the fifth clone saga.

The answer is Gwen Stacy, because sigh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

She wasn't dead the first time. This is like the fifth clone saga.

The answer is Gwen Stacy, because sigh.

I don't understand the point of bringing back Gwen Stacy when Spider-Gwen is running around. (Did they kill her?)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nope plus she is literally the character who died in the 60s. So she is the most generic love interest possible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

spider-gwen and normal gwen are different characters, one doesn't preclude the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean she is probably not going to make it out of the saga as she never does but do something slightly different jeez.

• Locked thread