Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pretty much the only ult it doesn't counter is rupture because that's burst damage

Always pop it during mei's ult or like pharah's or stuff like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Panfilo posted:

What's a good amount of healing to opt for with Transcendence to make the most out of it? I remember healing 1700 with it once.

Transcendence works better as a tool to protect a push/counter-push then a life-saving tool, and in those instances I wouldn't worry so much about big sick heals then if your team can break the other team during the duration. Unlike a Lucio shield, trying to use Trans to save someone can backfire if they're really low and still in the danger zone and eat a rocket or something just after you pop it. Pop it earlier then you think you want to when using it defensively and don't worry about what that does to healing numbers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fusion Restaurant posted:

I'm not a Zen superstar, but I wouldn't think about it as the amount of healing you can do -- you almost never want to wait for people to get hurt and then heal them to get them back up. Instead I'd use it reactively. E.g. They Graviton Surge your team, you should Transcendence right away. Think about it as "what enemy ults did I nullify?"

e: See above

Well yeah. I guess my misinterpretation was because the game notes" most healing from Transcendence " which suggests it is used as a metric.

I definitely use it for countering graviton surge and meis Blizzard and so forth. I guess it's tricky to gauge how well it was used objectively.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Panfilo posted:

Well yeah. I guess my misinterpretation was because the game notes" most healing from Transcendence " which suggests it is used as a metric.

I definitely use it for countering graviton surge and meis Blizzard and so forth. I guess it's tricky to gauge how well it was used objectively.

The best way is probably to use Plays.tv or Shadowplay to record the games you play, then run through the VODs and look, for each ult you used, if it was effective or not and why.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The cards Blizzard gives at the end aren't worth much more than medals a lot of the time in terms of "this is a valuable metric to gain useful feedback on your gameplay." Ask any Zarya player how many times they've gotten a Barriers Applied card despite having much more impressive accomplishments that round. Same thing with Zen's transcendence healing, it's kind of a garbage award that doesn't tell the whole story.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Saving transcendence for the Graviton is a good thing to aim for but if the other team's at all aware, they will be waiting you out as well and trying to make you pop before their Zarya hits Q.

Obviously you don't want this to happen, but if it's your only chance of winning an important fight you sometimes have to pop first. As long as your team gets enough kills during the trans, the Zarya won't be able to follow up. That's a better outcome than letting your team get picked apart without even forcing ult usage.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Medals/cards while not proof you played well, they are evidence you didn't play terribly. Oh and yes kill/death is actually a useful metric especially when compared with the nothing Blizzard replaced it with. People are terrible at judging other peoples play and should loving shut the gently caress up and play the god drat game.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Medals and Plays of the game, while mildly interesting, really seem to reinforce very wrong, bad game choices. "I got gold medals/PotG, therefore, I did nothing wrong."

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

ToastyPotato posted:

Medals and Plays of the game, while mildly interesting, really seem to reinforce very wrong, bad game choices. "I got gold medals/PotG, therefore, I did nothing wrong."

see: every bastion ever

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ToastyPotato posted:

Has there been any data on the % of potg that happened in a member of the losing team?because if it was close to a 50% chance then yeah, obviously whatever they did wasn't necessarily helpful because it didn't help the losing team win. But if Like 90% of potg happens on the winning side then perhaps it is a decent indicator.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Has there been any data on the % of potg that happened in a member of the losing team?because if it was close to a 50% chance then yeah, obviously whatever they did wasn't necessarily helpful because it didn't help the losing team win. But if Like 90% of potg happens on the winning side then perhaps it is a decent indicator.

A bastion getting potg on the winning team isn't really an indicator of much besides the fact that the enemy team hosed up. Even Reaper POTG require some good timing and positioning, and sometimes even team work. A lot of Bastion POTGs that I have seen are the result of just plain bad play from the enemy team, or the Bastion capitalizing on an opening that almost any other DPS could have also capitalized on given the same chance.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
potg shouldn't be awarded to the losing team

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I also agree with this statement.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Duck and Cover posted:

Medals/cards while not proof you played well, they are evidence you didn't play terribly.

Then why do I keep getting the "Worst Player" card at the end of literally every match? Also why have I never seen anyone else get it?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgMAXfzPcCg

i watched this and now i feel like i am much more equipped and understand the playstyle i should be using while playing zen

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

nah it makes sense especially on KOTH maps where the losing team may still have won a round and the best play may have been by one of their players on the round.

Honestly it happens rarely enough I don't see the problem.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Kenshin posted:

nah it makes sense especially on KOTH maps where the losing team may still have won a round and the best play may have been by one of their players on the round.

i rather not have the game encourage some idiot's pick just because he somehow killed three people very quickly and then did nothing the rest of the game

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kenshin posted:

it happens a lot at lower levels

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

it happens a lot at lower levels
Makes sense, the skill levels are going to be a lot more mixed there and even one amazing play won't make for a win all the time.

Keep in mind that QP is getting 2x more POTGs than Comp per amount of time played

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgMAXfzPcCg

i watched this and now i feel like i am much more equipped and understand the playstyle i should be using while playing zen

Got into an argument last night with a friend because he insisted him picking Zen was a perfectly fine healing choice because he had gold heals despite us getting rolled. He didn't want to accept that despite getting gold heals, he would have had higher healing output if he picked Lucio or even Mercy instead. Medal blindness strikes again. I'm going to send him this video though.

Is there a similar video for Roadhog? And maybe one on flanking in general. My friends don't like listening to me because my SR isn't higher than theirs (because they play more often), but maybe some well made videos from better players will be more convincing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ToastyPotato posted:

Medals and the people who think they are important are the worst. Good job on your 3 golds Bastion, I hope they keep you warm as you sit back on offense waiting for someone to wander into your view.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kenshin posted:

Makes sense, the skill levels are going to be a lot more mixed there and even one amazing play won't make for a win all the time.

Keep in mind that QP is getting 2x more POTGs than Comp per amount of time played

it's usually because there's the one semi decent dude on a team full of garbage getting that sweet sweet reaper or dva ult ime

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tusen Takk posted:

Pretty much the only ult it doesn't counter is rupture because that's burst damage

Please add Bloodseeker as a hero to this game

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I enjoy getting PotG as Reaper when I'm the only person left on my team.

Everyone else quit, that's my little gold star for effort.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i use my support and tank damage/elims gold medals to shame encourage my teammates to play better

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i use my support and tank damage/elims gold medals to shame encourage my teammates to play better

zenyatta is ideal for this

not because he can output damage but because he has the voice line "always strive for improvement" for optimal spamming

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

ToastyPotato posted:

Got into an argument last night with a friend because he insisted him picking Zen was a perfectly fine healing choice because he had gold heals despite us getting rolled. He didn't want to accept that despite getting gold heals, he would have had higher healing output if he picked Lucio or even Mercy instead. Medal blindness strikes again. I'm going to send him this video though.

Zen is very rarely the issue, he fits on pretty much any comp.

Him getting gold heals mean you're running him as the solo healer and someone else should switch.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

ToastyPotato posted:

Is there a similar video for Roadhog? And maybe one on flanking in general. My friends don't like listening to me because my SR isn't higher than theirs (because they play more often), but maybe some well made videos from better players will be more convincing.

Did you have a second healer already? I guess Ana? I think the solution here was probably someone else switching to Lucio/Mercy, Xen is really quite good on most teams.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Caught up to the thread finally, go ahead and throw my hat into "gently caress Every Junkrat Forever, Especially The "Well I Have 4 Golds" Junkrats".

Every loving game in ~2600 tier has a Junkrat and/or a Hanzo now on my team. It's insanity.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Junkrat isn't going to icewall me into my spawn as a teammate so I'm fine with him.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
junkrat is basically bad pharah in terms of functionality

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Caught up to the thread finally, go ahead and throw my hat into "gently caress Every Junkrat Forever, Especially The "Well I Have 4 Golds" Junkrats".

Every loving game in ~2600 tier has a Junkrat and/or a Hanzo now on my team. It's insanity.
The sheer number of players who slampick lock these 2 and never, ever change for an entire game for any reason is one of the most infuriating things about the gold-plat wasteland, especially when stuck solo-queing

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 26, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hackan Slash posted:

Zen is very rarely the issue, he fits on pretty much any comp.

Him getting gold heals mean you're running him as the solo healer and someone else should switch.

Did you have a second healer already? I guess Ana? I think the solution here was probably someone else switching to Lucio/Mercy, Xen is really quite good on most teams.

We had an Ana that didn't accomplish much. Ana was picked first and Zen was picked after. Ana wasn't in our group, so my suggestion was to make the pick to pick up the slack of the pubbies. Zen is great, but he's not going to carry heal wise and a low 2000s Ana is unlikely to be carrying with heals as well. Lucio could have helped turn fights around, and got us to position faster, and would have been harder to kill and Mercy at least has a play making ult and better mobility than and healing than Zen. Him having medals literally made him think he had no part in that loss which is what really bothered me more than anything.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

We had an Ana that didn't accomplish much. Ana was picked first and Zen was picked after. Ana wasn't in our group, so my suggestion was to make the pick to pick up the slack of the pubbies. Zen is great, but he's not going to carry heal wise and a low 2000s Ana is unlikely to be carrying with heals as well. Lucio could have helped turn fights around, and got us to position faster, and would have been harder to kill and Mercy at least has a play making ult and better mobility than and healing than Zen. Him having medals literally made him think he had no part in that loss which is what really bothered me more than anything.

Zen/Ana is a perfectly adequate support duo. Sure Lucio is a safer pick but getting hung up on that minor quibble is pretty pointless. I would rather have Zen/Ana than Ana/Mercy in pretty much every situation except maaaybe first-point defense.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Isn't it best to have a multi heal (i.e. Lucio) paired with a single point heal (i.e. Mercy, zen, Ana?)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

Isn't it best to have a multi heal (i.e. Lucio) paired with a single point heal (i.e. Mercy, zen, Ana?)

When you are at a level of play where Ana is not landing her heals yes. Ana/Zen is fine when Ana is on point. If Ana is a weak link, Zen isn't going to pick up he slack. Safe picks are necessary, imo, at lower levels and when playing with pubbies.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Tusen Takk posted:

It's more that Lucio is always good and Ana/Mercy step on each others toes in regards to heals/ults.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Keep in mind that Lucio's strength is his speed boost more than straight healing.

At higher ranks Lucio is mostly on speed boost rather than heal aura, that extra speed is huge in team fights.

His AoE heal is nice for healing up tick damage but that's not going to help much in the middle of a team fight.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Because Zen is the worst healer.

Not that hes bad, just that both Mercy and Ana single heal better than him and Lucio can heal everyone at once. Im also completely ignoring that hes probably the single strongest support unit in terms of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Keep in mind that Lucio's strength is his speed boost more than straight healing.

At higher ranks Lucio is mostly on speed boost rather than heal aura, that extra speed is huge in team fights.

His AoE heal is nice for healing up tick damage but that's not going to help much in the middle of a team fight.

Yes but at lower levels, where most people don't focus fire or even have great aim, his healing boost is much more significant in its role. If your team is losing fights via attrition, the AOE heal can absolutely matter. Simply keeping people alive longer can be better than playing a healer with high dps. It also takes pressure off of a lower level Ana, and she can more reliably concentrate on the most critical heals.