Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

There were a ton of tweaks to power/pp.
Which is one of the few things giving me hope that for gen 8 they decide "gently caress it" and go full stat-rebalance. Let the mons with sweet types or sweet art or sweet abilities get some actually good stat distributions without alternate Formes or whatever! You don't even have to change IVs (although they should probably just make IVs useless, let you pick your HP type, and guarantee max stats on every mon, but I'm a grognard) or anything, just base stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Which is one of the few things giving me hope that for gen 8 they decide "gently caress it" and go full stat-rebalance. Let the mons with sweet types or sweet art or sweet abilities get some actually good stat distributions without alternate Formes or whatever! You don't even have to change IVs (although they should probably just make IVs useless, let you pick your HP type, and guarantee max stats on every mon, but I'm a grognard) or anything, just base stats.

IVs are already useless, unless Hyper Training turns out to be super limited.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They already changed base stats in Gen VI you know.

http://www.serebii.net/xy/updatedstats.shtml

Its a really weird cross-section of pokemon.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Zore posted:

I guarantee HMs are still going to be in.

Nobody is saying that they're going away. What has been suggested is that they're going to lose the 'HM' designation and the lovely "deleted only by a move deleter" flag.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

Supremezero posted:

IVs are already useless, unless Hyper Training turns out to be super limited.

Isn't that for EVs not IVs?

Edit: Oh I messed up, I was thinking of the successor to super training but Hyper Training is the bottle caps stuff specifically for IVs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just accidentally ran from a shiny while horde EV training because I got the wrong horde

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

cheetah7071 posted:

I just accidentally ran from a shiny while horde EV training because I got the wrong horde

Who was it? Found a shiny Gligar this way; perfectly useless battle-wise but I like his blue coloring (and Gliscor's blue and yellow).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It was Gligar

Defense EVs would have ruined my training but gently caress I have reset bags. I didn't even notice it until after I had hit run

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

cheetah7071 posted:

It was Gligar

Defense EVs would have ruined my training but gently caress I have reset bags. I didn't even notice it until after I had hit run

I'll trade you mine for another shiny if you want. I'd have been ecstatic if it wound up with Poison Heal but it just has Hyper Cutter.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This was literally the second non-Gyarados shiny I'd ever seen so I think I'll just hold onto my Hippopotas, but thanks for offering.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Thanks for the tips, folks.

Chill Penguin posted:

Gallade is gen 4 isn't it? Mean Look/Hypnosis/False Swipe/T-Wave

This sound like an interesting project. A couple questions tho (this is gen 4, yes):
1) Do I let Ralts learn Hypnosis at level 43 or Kirlia at level 50?
2) What is the most convenient way to get Thunder Wave unto a Ralts or one of it's evolutions? I did some quick research on Bulbapedia and it seems Platinum has Battle Frontier where I can buy the TM for 32 BP. I can also go back to Emerald (and do all the breeding for Mean Look there) and go to a Battle Frontier move tutor for 48 BP. I have access to both Battle Frontiers but I have not touched them so far... which offers the most easy access to BP? I'll probably just need to dive in and mess around with them, but if there's an straightforward answer I'll gladly take it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

That was part of a weird nerf to special attacks with 90+ power across the board. Some things benefited (Energy Ball went from 80->90, Power Gem 70->80) but Surf/Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt went from 95->90 and Hydro Pump/Blizzard/Thunder/Fire Blast went from 120->110.

Gen VI had a lot of weird little re-balances like that.

Like Aura Sphere went from 90->80, Dragon Pulse 90->85, the Pledges from 50->80, Knock Off from 20->65, Snore from 40->50 (lol).

There were a ton of tweaks to power/pp.

They also gave a lot of pokemon somewhat arbitrary 10 point stat boosts. Some it made sense for, like Poliwrath getting up to 95 Attack, but others were kind of random like Azumarill getting a Special Attack boost.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Another reason for the special nerf is because there's no Burn equivalent for special attack.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This is not an invitation to mention Poison being worse than Toxic.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Geostomp posted:

They also gave a lot of pokemon somewhat arbitrary 10 point stat boosts. Some it made sense for, like Poliwrath getting up to 95 Attack, but others were kind of random like Azumarill getting a Special Attack boost.

Maybe they were trying to pretend to make non-Huge Power Azumarill viable.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Poison is worse than toxic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Slate Action posted:

I want them to return to a Gen 1 philosophy with respect to your rival. In my mind the essential qualities of a Pokemon rival are:

1.) Is legitimate competition ("I already caught 60 kinds, pal") and a major threat in battle

Until he becomes champ the gen 1's rival's Blastoise's only water move is loving water gun. He's got a decent team but honestly he's not that tough.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Supremezero posted:

Maybe they were trying to pretend to make non-Huge Power Azumarill viable.

it went from 50->60.

there are literally starter pokemon with higher attacking stats. its just :psyduck:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Until he becomes champ the gen 1's rival's Blastoise's only water move is loving water gun. He's got a decent team but honestly he's not that tough.

He has mad style points though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I can see why Energy Ball got buffed. It used to be the go to special grass move, until Giga Drain got buffed to 75 BP in Gen V. 5 less BP for a draining move was a very nice trade off.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Buff my boys Tauros and Kingler by giving them good STAB sheer force options.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Decus posted:

Buff my boys Tauros and Kingler by giving them good STAB sheer force options.

I Just bred a Tauros and saw the recommended STAB was Rock Climb to make use of Sheer Force. Would be nice if it could get Body Slam, or if the increased crit rate attacks applied to Sheer Force.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I just caught a shiny, adamant Pidgey in the HG Safari Zone and I have no idea what to do with it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PSWII60 posted:

I can't really be the only person that didn't really mind having to use HM's can I?

gating progress by having a skill you need to learn is fine, but having that skill be semi permanent on your 4 slot move list is not. especially when there have been way more bad hm moves than good ones

good hm moves: surf, waterfall, ???

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Manatee Cannon posted:

gating progress by having a skill you need to learn is fine, but having that skill be semi permanent on your 4 slot move list is not. especially when there have been way more bad hm moves than good ones

good hm moves: surf, waterfall, ???

The other side of it is that their answer to HMs were making them non-vital, except for Surf a bit, which meant more artificial roadblocks or just items blocked off by an HM you probably won't carry until you do a sweep.

The pokeride system appears to add more natural roadblocks and more expansive side areas since all you need to progress is to have earned the pokeride, so no more worries about little timmy trying to get rid of his only surfing pokemon, instead worry about making Timmy want to try surfing anywhere and get rewarded for it.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Timmy couldn't get rid of his only surfing pokemon, though. The move deleter has never been in a town you could only access via HM and you can't release a boxed pokemon with an HM.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Decus posted:

Timmy couldn't get rid of his only surfing pokemon, though. The move deleter has never been in a town you could only access via HM and you can't release a boxed pokemon with an HM.

You can transfer pokemon with HMs to the pokebank though

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Decus posted:

He was more saying that in reference to never being allowed to just over-wright HM moves.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Decus posted:

Yeah, just saying that the team won't have to design around that, like having the Move Deleter at an accessible spot for all, make sure you can't do poo poo to a pokemon with HM moves and then still forget the PokeBank trumps it. Instead all that brain power goes into how to make the HM replacement even more fun

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I never understood why it even mattered that you could overwrite an hm move when the hm itself was permanent

you could just reteach the pokemon to use strength or whatever if you need to use it

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Manatee Cannon posted:

I never understood why it even mattered that you could overwrite an hm move when the hm itself was permanent

you could just reteach the pokemon to use strength or whatever if you need to use it

Possibly a consequence of Gen I's terrible inventory system? Since you don't want to be carrying around all the HMs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

You could deposit HMs in the PC through gen IV or V.

Also, there can be weird edge cases with things like Surfing Pikachu and other event mons where if you delete it you wouldn't be able to relearn it. Or if you hacked it onto a pokemon that doesn't normally learn it.

In general, you'd be shocked how often you can run into dumb edge cases when making a game for children.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope sun and moon have built in pokebank support so you don't have to go through a lovely external program every time

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope sun and moon have built in pokebank support so you don't have to go through a lovely external program every time

I have bad news for you.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

same but pokegen

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

also showdown

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
More Totodile, because why not?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA8THjivCPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mgpHYlZ2zg

As much as people claim the anime got gud lately, I hate that it has become nothing more than an ad for the games with Ash only using new Pokes to that Gen and never bringing his best friend Totodile back.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I think the word "become" is out of place there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Why do you have the exact same fight against Serena/Calem three times in a row?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

because your friend group sucks in xy