Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Probably better to use either a Machamp with a good cp level or something sufficiently bulky to ignore any ice attacks anyway, like Venusaur. Or just get good at dodging, since AI controlled defenders are pretty terrible and predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

What was that page that was linked a few pages back that showed optimal movesets for defense and attacking for all the Pokémon? All the ones I can find just break down the top tier mons, and not little guys like hypno and stuff. :(

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

AirRaid posted:

Question: What's the best types to use to train against Lapras? A couple of the local gyms have those on the bottom and I'll be going to train them up a bit soon, but looking at the type bonuses, it seems like the water/ice types end up with conflicting type bonuses. Is that going to end up with me just doing normal damage?

IE Grass damage is super effective against water but bad against ice. Would that end up with me doing normal damage against Lapras with Victreebel?

Arcanine works well for me. Fire moves are neutral against Lapras and Arcanine's Fire type is resistant to Lapras' Ice moves.

Wigglytuff or Clefable would be a good counter if the Lapras has Dragon Pulse.

Snorlax can just out-tank it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Louisgod posted:

So what the poo poo in this game is killing the battery? Is it the constant GPS check in or is it something else?

It's a conspiracy to get you to buy a Pokémon Go Plus. I played for an hour today with mine and lost 4% battery, nearly background drain rate.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

This is fine if you're playing "quest for the perfect Pokemon" but I've been saving my stardust using it only while taking over or training a gym. I like having a wide variety of mons so that during training you have the lowest possible CP that can win a fight. If I could extract stardust from a mon to lower their CP, I would be all over that and would probably only need a dozen pokemon ever.
When you slot a guy of yours in to a gym, you want to have him high enough that he's enough rungs up the ladder he won't get knocked off so quickly, so that's when I power up my guys. There's no benefit to pumping all your stardust into a lvl 1 snorlax just to have him sit at home.

What are you even talking about? I'm not letting stardust get anywhere close to my prestige trainers. My inventory of undervalued dick-stabbers is perfectly curated spectrum of Butterfree and Tangela, and I'm not gonna gently caress it all up by turning any of them into lovely gym defender.

Stardust is for the protein shakes I'm drinking when I kick down the doors to a Valor gym and start shoving Snorlax up their tight little buttholes. It has nothing to do with the "quest for the perfect pokemon;" I just know exactly how many mothers get hosed when I'm burning down a tower, and I know exactly how far down the counter-attacker's throats my Dragonite can get his cock after I leave him to defend the ruins. Both values are highly adequate and will not be improving except in the case of truly exceptional potential.

AirRaid posted:

Question: What's the best types to use to train against Lapras? A couple of the local gyms have those on the bottom and I'll be going to train them up a bit soon, but looking at the type bonuses, it seems like the water/ice types end up with conflicting type bonuses. Is that going to end up with me just doing normal damage?

IE Grass damage is super effective against water but bad against ice. Would that end up with me doing normal damage against Lapras with Victreebel?

Slowbro with Confusion/Psychic, Tentacruel with Acid/Sludge Wave, or an Arcanine with whatever will all resist ice attacks while doing ordinary damage, and have reasonable power:CP ratios.

Poliwrath (Mud/Submission) and Mageton also have resistance to ice attacks and are super effective against Lapras but also have somewhat less power:CP.

You could also just use a good prestige attacker like Wigglytuff who doesn't care about types.

Using your own Lapras with Dragon Breath would be funny because you would have double resistances to ice attacks, but it would go slow.

EDIT: Omastar with Mud Shot/Rock Slide are also in that second category. Even better would be one with legacy Rock Throw.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 26, 2016

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
I'd love a Pokemon Go Plus to make pokebiking easier. (I have a phone mount)
But I'm also not convinced I'll still be playing with the same fervor whenever they're back in stock.

Is there anything like a DRM preventing people from just selling their used devices once they tire of pidgey farming?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Frown Town posted:

I'd love a Pokemon Go Plus to make pokebiking easier. (I have a phone mount)
But I'm also not convinced I'll still be playing with the same fervor whenever they're back in stock.

Is there anything like a DRM preventing people from just selling their used devices once they tire of pidgey farming?

Nah, you can just unpair it. There's actually instructions for it in the little sheet that comes with it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

So, after my work's new office being a total poke-desert for over a month (which I confirmed with the pogo desktop map), it seems I'm getting some spawns I can actually hit from my desk now. I guess maybe they do add spawn locations eventually if there's increased activity in the area? I was resigned to not ever seeing anything I could catch without taking a hike around the surrounding areas.

e: yeah apparently lots of new spawn points are being sighted, yay: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/54mo39/new_spawnpoints_added/

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 26, 2016

Nowa
Mar 20, 2006

...a gulliver of dreams.
Unless the desktop tracker is flipping the gently caress out, Niantic pretty much doubled the number of poke-spawn points today.

Frequency of seeing garbage pokemon hasn't changed but there's twice the chances! My nearby list is ALMOST full now.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I finally got a Snorlax!

:geno:
Is.. this thing even worth spending stardust on

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 26, 2016

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Poulpe posted:

I finally got a Snorlax!

Candy is gonna be your limiting factor here anyways but depending on the ivs, no not really.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Nowa posted:

Unless the desktop tracker is flipping the gently caress out, Niantic pretty much doubled the number of poke-spawn points today.

Frequency of seeing garbage pokemon hasn't changed but there's twice the chances! My nearby list is ALMOST full now.

Wow, yeah, I just turned on my phone and there was something in the parking lot reachable from my store, I've never seen anything there before. Now if only I was in range of a Pokestop too. And there are only 3 in my nearby list, but since it doesn't seem to show duplicates of the same Pokemon on the list, I'm not surprised.

Too bad I'm on iOS10 right now, I'd love to have a joystick on there so I could sit on the Pokestop across the street.

I'll have to see what it's like at home now - there are 4 spawns that I can reach from my house (depending on where the GPS drifts), it would be nice to have 6-8.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Oh nice, there's two spawn points at my house now and the nearby water spot has double as well.

Runner of Roads
Sep 10, 2003
Guys my daughter is playing on an iPad mini and suddenly when she tries to access the pokedex it brings up the tips/help sequence with the gym leader "this is a pokestop" tutorial instead. I've deleted and reinstalled the game to no avail. I have no loving idea what to do. Maybe try logging into her account from a different device? Anyone seen this before?

Adding new spawn points have appeared by my house as well. Sweet!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Poulpe posted:

I finally got a Snorlax!

Not to mention the 5 au you'd need to buddy walk. Don't worry sport, you'll find another one!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I haven't noticed any new spawn points in Amsterdam, maybe they haven't changed it everywhere? Or perhaps it already changed a few days ago here and I didn't notice, because I wasn't checking spawn points until recently.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

There's been a fairly regular Geodude spawn once every few hours outside my balcony, but that started like a week ago for me.

Although I did happen to notice even more spawns at work today, and it's already a pretty hot spot in terms of spawn rate.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Bean posted:

You've got two pokemon, one has a significantly higher CP but his IVs are okay and one has a lower CP but perfect IVs. Who do you put the effort in to?

I haven't leveled or powered up a pokemon yet, I know dick about it.

If it still needs to evolve, then you're in danger of getting a poo poo moveset. If not and it has good moves, go for perfect IVs.

The last bit you're concerned about of CP levels is up to you personally. Say they both had the best moveset. It's up to you how much you want to pump stardust. If that's the only Pokemon you care about right now, go for it. If you have like 6 other really good Pokemon you're already spending stardust on, you might want to reconsider. I've given up on some near-perfect IV Pokemon before because they're just so goddamn low and it's already something I have like a Vaporeon so it's not worth it to me to build a 600cp Vaporeon all the way up to the 2200cp levels if I already have two of them with Hydro Pump and only like 1-3 IV percent lower than the 600cp one.

Poulpe posted:

I finally got a Snorlax!

A perfect example of what I would not spend stardust on. Even if you like its moveset. This would be on the border if it was easy to get candy for, but walk 100km later as a buddy and this one will still only be at like 500cp.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

What was that page that was linked a few pages back that showed optimal movesets for defense and attacking for all the Pokémon? All the ones I can find just break down the top tier mons, and not little guys like hypno and stuff. :(

This site?
http://www.pogomoves.com/rankings/gym-offense.php
http://www.pogomoves.com/rankings/gym-defense.php

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

On the way home from work today, the yellow light started flashing when I was about 2 minutes from home. I thought I was out of Pokeballs, but I must have picked up a couple at the Pokestops in town, because I caught it with my last ball.

Blanche says his IVs suck, but I'm just glad to finally catch one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TVs Ian posted:

On the way home from work today, the yellow light started flashing when I was about 2 minutes from home. I thought I was out of Pokeballs, but I must have picked up a couple at the Pokestops in town, because I caught it with my last ball.

Blanche says his IVs suck, but I'm just glad to finally catch one.

dont bother. The amount of candy you'd need just from catching more would mean you'd get a better one easily

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Yes! Thank you!

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Nowa posted:

They've also changed all the nests around, nest migration 3 was today. All the public parks around you probably have different pokemon.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
This game's resource usage has gotten out of hand for me in recent days as well. I was training up a gym from 8 to 9 today and as it went on my phone's performance steadily grew worse and worse. By the time I was a mere 2000 prestige away, it was so chunky that it was just unplayable; battle would just hang for a second or two at a time and I couldn't dodge poo poo. I restarted the phone, force-quit background apps, turned brightness as far down as I could manage and it was just no use - the "system is cooling down" alert came on so I just quit and walked away.

Granted, my Samsung GC Prime isn't top-notch hardware but I never had this problem before except when it was nearly 100 degrees outside weeks and weeks ago.

But hey! I hatched a pretty dang good Charmander out of a 2k today so it wasn't all bad! It was literally the first one I've seen since my starter.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Eyochigan posted:

There's a rumour going around that gyarados got dragon breath back.

Well I just evolved two and they both got Bite and Twister, as usual :argh:

I have like five or six Gyarados with that moveset now. But they are still useful because they easily get high CP, so I can shove them into level 9 gyms with 2000+ CP mons and not have them kicked out immediately. It seems like many people do that because those gyms are full of Gyarados.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
I had a weird gym bug. My raticate versus a jolteon, I had like 80% hp, and then it thundered, I totally dodged it but I took full damage, and then a half second later took another tick of full thunder damage, instantly knocking me out but it wouldn't switch raticate out, and I could not attack with raticate. And then I had to do a poo poo ton of overdamage with my golbat.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Visual Sneeze posted:

This game's resource usage has gotten out of hand for me in recent days as well. I was training up a gym from 8 to 9 today and as it went on my phone's performance steadily grew worse and worse. By the time I was a mere 2000 prestige away, it was so chunky that it was just unplayable; battle would just hang for a second or two at a time and I couldn't dodge poo poo. I restarted the phone, force-quit background apps, turned brightness as far down as I could manage and it was just no use - the "system is cooling down" alert came on so I just quit and walked away.

Granted, my Samsung GC Prime isn't top-notch hardware but I never had this problem before except when it was nearly 100 degrees outside weeks and weeks ago.

But hey! I hatched a pretty dang good Charmander out of a 2k today so it wasn't all bad! It was literally the first one I've seen since my starter.

yeah mine's not nearly as bad but about 20% of the times I click on a gym the loving thing crashes. I haven't been sniped because of it yet but only a matter of time since it happens after level it up a lot

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Poulpe posted:

I finally got a Snorlax!

It could be worse.

:shepicide:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Confirming so far about the new update:

-Worse distance tracking. I know it's not exact because of the way it used to work and that it didn't count distance while I was walking and in catching mode, but today I got about 2.5 km counted out of the 10.5 km I ran.
-Faster battery drain. Thought it was because my phone was sucking while traveling this weekend but back on my normal routine it was draining faster too.
-Gym battle move queuing. While not that bad to learn to stop tapping so furiously, it's very annoying using Pokemon with single slow moves like my Lapras with Ice Shard or Victreebel's Razor Leaf and being unforgiving on an accidental tap making it so I can't dodge enemy attacks.

+They fixed the low attack IV bug for Pokemon in earlier numbers in the Pokedex. Got a Bulbasaur with 15 attack and a Charmander with 12 attack both caught in the wild today.
+Pokemon diversity. Starting to see more things appear on the radar, including Drowzees here in California even though I still haven't caught one.

Personal things unrelated are that level 29 is getting pretty bad for me for the high failure/escape rates. Hitting Greats and Excellents guarantee nothing even on Pokemon with lower than 200 cp. It's costing so many balls that even holding onto 50 some normal Pokeballs is pretty low if I have to average around 6 balls per Pokemon I run into. At least I'm on the final stretch of the last level that I should really care about getting to.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
There's a new spawn point right on my house (only Pidgeys and Rattatas, but still) and I hatched an Aerodactyl this morning. So I'm happy. :3:

Though I do hope they fix the distance/battery issues soon, because those are fairly key to enjoyment of the game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Eikre posted:

What are you even talking about? I'm not letting stardust get anywhere close to my prestige trainers. My inventory of undervalued dick-stabbers is perfectly curated spectrum of Butterfree and Tangela, and I'm not gonna gently caress it all up by turning any of them into lovely gym defender.

Stardust is for the protein shakes I'm drinking when I kick down the doors to a Valor gym and start shoving Snorlax up their tight little buttholes. It has nothing to do with the "quest for the perfect pokemon;" I just know exactly how many mothers get hosed when I'm burning down a tower, and I know exactly how far down the counter-attacker's throats my Dragonite can get his cock after I leave him to defend the ruins. Both values are highly adequate and will not be improving except in the case of truly exceptional potential.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The Scyther nest down the street from me were replaced with Magnemites, Dratinis seem to spawn more near the creel by my house, and a Snorlax spawned a block down from my house this morning. Good poo poo, outside the game loving crashing all the time now.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

This game is loving garbage, I was going to hit up a squirtle nest / mega poke park (Alexandra Palace) after work and it's just been changed to venonats and bullshit. Niantic! :argh:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

GPS tracking seems to be so much better with the Go, I am hatching hella eggs while at work when before I'd get barely any progress

I love this little thing even if my device (Droid Turbo 2) doesn't work very well with it

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've been having a lot of luck with gym defending lately. The trick seems to be to find high-level gyms that are off the beaten path a bit, and making sure you're not the lowest rung on the ladder. I'm #6 on a Lv9 blue gym and I've been sitting there since Saturday.

There is another gym at a nearby pub which is usually a Lv9/10 but the lowest CP defender is usually 2000, and my highest is only 1800. So even if I do manage to add someone, they'll get knocked off within a couple days due to someone coming along and weakening the gym a bit.

Also, every time I find a low-level gym on my team, it usually gets converted within a day. So I'll try to wait until I'm ready to collect before I put up a defender on those. Sometimes I get lucky and get another day out of it, but I don't count on it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
My work is a zoo today. Across our site there are 12 Pokemon spawned. Most of it is common trash but hey, more opportunity for rare stuff to pop up. Seems like there are a few specific new spawn points too.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
A park in my town (which just happens to be named after the racist who founded it) used to be a Pikachu nest. Now it's a nest for Jynx. Man, those coincidences.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really, really wish this whole "new and more pokemon/spawns" thing would actually get out around here. The nearby thing here has had a few less than normal the last few days I bothered to check it. And it's still the same things all over the city. If the egg tracking is even worse, this might be the time where I just stop opening the thing at all until gen 2. I'm only level 15, but I'm starting to get Pidgeys that just run instantly, and eggs are the only thing worth doing in the game anymore, since the xp is garbage with nothing new to find ever. 20-ish total wild Pokemon (not counting what I had to register from evolving, and including some very rare) over the course of all the changes all these months is kinda poo poo when everyone else can complete the thing from their home town.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Louisgod posted:

My work is a zoo today. Across our site there are 12 Pokemon spawned. Most of it is common trash but hey, more opportunity for rare stuff to pop up. Seems like there are a few specific new spawn points too.

My office is the same. Lots of spawns. It's been mostly the same spawns since the nests rotated but I'm now seeing a lot more Tauros and Slowpoke.

I just catch everything at this point since XP is XP and it's good practice for throwing those excellent curveballs, and over time that bonus XP adds up. I have a reliable Pokestop farm nearby so I'm not too worried about running out of balls, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since the update the gps tracking has been almost unplayably poo poo. Sometimes it randomly refuses to detect the GPS, and if I'm in a car the tracking will routinely freeze and then teleport to my current location a couple of minutes later. My phone is lovely but it's within the specs for the game and I never had these problems before. Maybe God is telling me it's time to stop playing this lovely game for children

• Locked thread