Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I wouldn't say Majora's Mask is a particularly good game, but I would say you should play it for the atmosphere. It's weird and esoteric and dark in a very unique way, especially for Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Ghost Trick was okay but maybe I wasn't feelin' Shu Takumi at the time so I was like "uh huh ok." Like it wasn't bad and it was objectively good, but it didn't really do anything for me.

if the ending doesn't make you cry I don't wanna be friends

Guy Goodbody posted:

What was hated about it?

many people reacted very poorly to the fact that there are only 4 dungeons

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

What was hated about it?

It was a new Zelda game. Every single one since OOT (with I guess the exception of LBW now) has been received as "the worst game in the series". Its Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess is the worst.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nephzinho posted:

It was a new Zelda game. Every single one since OOT (with I guess the exception of LBW now) has been received as "the worst game in the series". Its Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess is the worst.

I thought the GBC / GBA Zeldas were generally well received?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's completely unconventional and was originally marketed as a sequel to OoT so people were expecting something like that but MM had to redoing things, figuring out outlandish secrets and all this other stuff people didn't really want to spend time doing.

A more truer Legend of Zelda sequel than Ocarina of Time.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Majora's Mask 3D and Wind Waker HD are my two favorite Zelda games. Majora's Mask starts off really stressful and off putting, but actually it's great.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Plus the shorthand description by word of mouth (most people didn't have internet back then) was that you were kid Link the whole time and had to collect masks. It straight up sounded more like a kiddie game than it really was, so that was a huge turn off (I knew other people who felt that way and I did myself until years later). It came off as a side game more than the next Zelda.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Looper posted:

many people reacted very poorly to the fact that there are only 4 dungeons

And none of them are particularly good

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

FireMrshlBill posted:

Plus the shorthand description by word of mouth (most people didn't have internet back then) was that you were kid Link the whole time and had to collect masks. It straight up sounded more like a kiddie game than it really was, so that was a huge turn off (I knew other people who felt that way and I did myself until years later). It came off as a side game more than the next Zelda.

That's pretty much how I remember it. Plus, it was the successor to OoT, which was a real hard act to follow.

The general weirdness of it was a turnoff, but what ultimately kept me from playing it was it required that RAM addon or whatever, and I had just spent the last few years getting burned hard by Sega and their Genesis addon bullshit, so there was no way I was wasting another Christmas present on one weird game.

I played it finally on N3DS and the mountain of hype didn't do it any favors. Not a fan. I like the creepypasta "BEN DROWNED" thing more than the game itself.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i feel like the world of termina would have been great if it didn't just straight up re-use assets and characters from the previous game

like it would have been cool if it was it's own self-contained universe and had no relation to the world of hyrule

kind of like how link's awakening did it

General Morden fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 26, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what no Termina being a warped mirror version of hyrule is one of the best parts

like yeah it obviously let's them reuse assets and that's part of the reason they did it, but they made it into a strength for the game

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I can't help but feel as though you're missing the point of Majora's Mask with the reuse of assets, taking something familiar and doing something completely different with them. Would anyone really want Ocarina of Time 2, especially since when what was effectively Ocarina of Time 2 came out which was Twilight Princess people bitched about how derivative it was? But then again my two favorite 3D Zeldas are the two that's seemingly most disliked (Majora's Mask and Wind Waker) so maybe I've just got awful taste compared to the general Zelda fanbase.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I can't help but feel as though you're missing the point of Majora's Mask with the reuse of assets, taking something familiar and doing something completely different with them. Would anyone really want Ocarina of Time 2, especially since when what was effectively Ocarina of Time 2 came out which was Twilight Princess people bitched about how derivative it was? But then again my two favorite 3D Zeldas are the two that's seemingly most disliked (Majora's Mask and Wind Waker) so maybe I've just got awful taste compared to the general Zelda fanbase.

Nah, those are the best Zeldas, I can confirm. Wind Waker is my personal favorite.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My problem with MM isn't really the time limit, more that everything resets except dungeons finished and masks, makes everything feel pretty pointless, which might have been what they going for but it didn't induce me to want to play it. Also getting into a dungeon or quest or anything then realising that you weren't going to have enough time to finish it before you'd have to reset sucked.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

General Morden posted:

i feel like the world of termina would have been great if it didn't just straight up re-use assets and characters from the previous game

like it would have been cool if it was it's own self-contained universe and had no relation to the world of hyrule

kind of like how link's awakening did it

MM having a thematic justification for reusing assets is one of the cooler things about it

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
frank west really could've used that ocarina

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'd murder every lawyer for another Ghost Trick.

But you'd only get to play it for four minutes if you did that :ohdear:.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

My problem with MM isn't really the time limit, more that everything resets except dungeons finished and masks, makes everything feel pretty pointless, which might have been what they going for but it didn't induce me to want to play it. Also getting into a dungeon or quest or anything then realising that you weren't going to have enough time to finish it before you'd have to reset sucked.

The thing is, the quests in Majora's Mask are things that tend to resolve themselves if the residents of Termina just had more time. You even see that in the ending montage, people can and do deal with their own problems but during the three day cycle they're so paralyzed with fear and a weird kind of optimistic disbelief of the moon crashing into them that Link has to resolve those issues for them.

It's an interesting way of showing that while Link saved the world, life will go on and the various characters all have little stories and arcs of their own that get resolved.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Nah, those are the best Zeldas, I can confirm. Wind Waker is my personal favorite.

Wind Waker is insanely good and I want a 3ds version even if it needs a graphical downgrade to work. It would be super nostalgic too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If you don't love - not like, love - Majora's Mask, you're brain-broke. My condolences for your apparently insurmountable neurosis that prevent you from enjoying a brilliant, charming game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

If you don't love - not like, love - Majora's Mask, you're brain-broke. My condolences for your apparently insurmountable neurosis that prevent you from enjoying a brilliant, charming game.

majoras mask is good but this post is bad

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's a good post, actually.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I appreciate DrWhat's enthusiasm for things.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The post would be better if it didn't reuse assets from so many other posts

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Super No Vacancy posted:

The post would be better if it didn't reuse assets from so many other posts

It was actually a cost saving measure from the first post, and I have to admit that it was entertaining to see the same word assets in different roles and locations throughout the post.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
That post hasn't aged well at all

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What about Ocarina of Time, is that one any good?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

all the zelda games are good, except the DS ones which are just ok

please do not try and "own" me by bringing up the cdi games

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really enjoyed the 3DS port but never played the original.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's considered to be one of the best games of all time so yeah. The 3DS version is much better and the best way to play it these days.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cake Attack posted:

all the zelda games are good, except the DS ones which are just ok

please do not try and "own" me by bringing up the cdi games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

That looks loving awesome

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also Majora's Mask is one of my favorite games but it's totally fair that stuff like the time management would ruin it for some people

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm not a fan of the time management gimmick and the 24 hour cycles are just brutal.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chronojam posted:

I'm not a fan of the time management gimmick and the 24 hour cycles are just brutal.

You have like 6 hours to do everything you need to do in a cycle though

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Story
Plot Synopsis
Link enters a cave unarmed to collect the pieces of the Triforce. He travels through four dungeons with four caves in each, while being attacked by Iron Balls, Keese, and at the end of each dungeon, Aquamentus. After reaching the end of the fourth dungeon, Link reassembles the Triforce.[4]

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

Also Majora's Mask is one of my favorite games but it's totally fair that stuff like the time management would ruin it for some people

Time management really stresses me out, like I've never been able to finish a Pikmin game. But I never had any problem at all with Majora's Mask.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I'm thinking about buying Gotta Protectors, but I can't find many reviews of it. Anyone have opinions on how good it is?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PSA: River City Tokyo Rumble is available on Amazon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Detective No. 27 posted:

PSA: River City Tokyo Rumble is available on Amazon now.

How is that game? I've been debating it.