Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

is that a loving bottlerocket glued to the oil pan?

And I think a piece of cardboard to deflect away from the rear tire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Deeters posted:

And I think a piece of cardboard to deflect away from the rear tire

There are probably wheels or something supporting the bike under there. Then they scatter trash around and use a piece to hide the bits that make the stunt work. Movie Magic!

Edit: I just watched 6 minutes of that dumbass cartoon chase and that shot with the sparks isn't even in there

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 24, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yes, but a cruiser with a paralever front. That's important (somehow).

The twit that designed that needs to have a restraining order filed against him to keep him from ever getting within 100 yards of another French curve. And also possibly banned from owning any pens or pencils.

Probably a bit late, he's world famous (and designed that lemon squeezer that looks like a 1930s rocket ship)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isn't it the same engine in those two bikes? Maybe that's what you secretly like.

How do you feel about this:

:swoon:

This is the most visually perfect ADV I've ever seen.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

:swoon:

This is the most visually perfect ADV I've ever seen.

Did every 90s Yamaha offroad bike have that same tail?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The twit that designed that needs to have a restraining order filed against him to keep him from ever getting within 100 yards of another French curve. And also possibly banned from owning any pens or pencils.

you mean Philippe Starck?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

After browsing that wikipedia article, emphatically yes.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Yeah, not seeing anything in that wiki page or linked articles to make me believe Aprilia wasn't on crack when they hired him to design it.

A guy who designs hotels and appliances? Sounds like just what we want our new bike to look like!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I'm posting it again bc it's a really pretty design, really the platonic ideal of a city motorcycle, and also to piss you guys off.

Look at it! Even the body font is Helvetica! It's signed on the tail fairing!

Here's a conceptual version based on the Aprilia twin. Don't think they ever made this one, sadly

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I'm posting it again bc it's a really pretty design, really the platonic ideal of a city motorcycle, and also to piss you guys off.

All of these things. I wanna thrash that to work through rush-hour traffic like a loving pimp.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
all i see is klr650 frame.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Here's a conceptual version based on the Aprilia twin. Don't think they ever made this one, sadly

Those bikes are Sexy as gently caress. Sexalicious, as people here in Los Angeles say. It's telling that all the best posters like it as well. Lots of good taste and opinions.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

p. sure that's the Rotax 60 degree twin from the Mille/Tuono/etc, the Aprilia (750/1200) twin is 90 degrees.

I always like the Moto. I wouldn't have one myself, but it's definitely good looking and nowhere near as ridiculous and impractical as you'd assume a bike designed on a guy more famous for lemon squeezers and taps would be.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It looks like a pregnant swayback.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Those bikes are Sexy as gently caress. Sexalicious, as people here in Los Angeles say. It's telling that all the best posters like it as well. Lots of good taste and opinions.

What's it like being so wrong about bikes all the time?

Blown up DRZ joke.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Who's got two thumbs and bad opinions? This guy!! *awkwardly points both thumbs at you*

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
2008 KTM 690SMC clutch slipping. What's happening? :ohdear:

I did a downshift on the way home from getting tires tonight, and saw that the revs held and the engine spun up. "Oh cool that's the slipper clutch" I said, and kept riding.

Then I noticed that if I was at about 5k in a higher gear (3rd-5th), it the clutch slipped if I gave it a lot of throttle. I know what a clutch slipping is like, and this definitely was doing it all over. Would slip up to redline, then the engine would come in line. I think I can smell burning clutch when I parked.

It only has 2100mi on it, and was perfectly cared for, so is there something I need to adjust or? I hope Z3n or somebody with an smc knows whats up.

edit- the right unicorn blood oil has been used

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Clutch cable too tight?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's a hydraulic clutch. I just cannot figure out why it would be slipping with only 2000~miles on the odo. Just yesterday it was gripping great, though I did quite a few first gear power wheelies.

I'm looking at plate kits, and OEM is 380, while aftermarket are less than 100. I know that aftermarket might not last as long as oem, but it seems like oem didn't last long at all. I'd like to get something ordered up tonight, so I can replace anything before I hit the mountains on friday.

I'm so swamped with work and school this is killing me.

Bike is AWESOME, though. I'll be keeping this one for a long, long, long, time.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 27, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

It's a hydraulic clutch. I just cannot figure out why it would be slipping with only 2000~miles on the odo. Just yesterday it was gripping great, though I did quite a few first gear power wheelies.

I'm looking at plate kits, and OEM is 380, while aftermarket are less than 100. I know that aftermarket might not last as long as oem, but it seems like oem didn't last long at all. I'd like to get something ordered up tonight, so I can replace anything before I hit the mountains on friday.

I'm so swamped with work and school this is killing me.

Bike is AWESOME, though. I'll be keeping this one for a long, long, long, time.

Quoting this for when you get a new bike in six months. :allears:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Probably overfilled the clutch reservoir, it heated up and ended up engaging the clutch constantly. Pull the clutch MC cover and see how overfull it is.

Could also be the slave cylinder failing, which can cause weird symptoms. But far more likely that it was overfilled or the return hole got clogged.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

builds character posted:

Quoting this for when you get a new bike in six months. :allears:
You don't understand, mom! We have something special! We have a shared facebook and everything. That means forever!!! You never support me!

Z3n posted:

Probably overfilled the clutch reservoir, it heated up and ended up engaging the clutch constantly. Pull the clutch MC cover and see how overfull it is.

Could also be the slave cylinder failing, which can cause weird symptoms. But far more likely that it was overfilled or the return hole got clogged.

Thank god you answered. I heard someone online mention an overfull clutch reservoir, but I couldn't understand how a clutch reservior could got hot enough to do that under regular use. It's right there in the wind on the bars, after all, and my covers are special ktm metal anodized (does that do anything?). So check it, and syringe out a bit of it? Not sure how to know if it's overfull.

That certainly makes more sense than clutch plates warping or wearing after 2000miles, and I know I am flogging it harder and holding the clutch in at stop lights more than Jazzzzz probably did.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Should I worry about my rear brake wear? I ride it for miles on the days I have to split Malibu. It just helps me control the bike better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're okay with replacing the pads more often. If it's worth 20 bucks every year or so to have better control, go nuts.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

A MIRACLE posted:

Should I worry about my rear brake wear? I ride it for miles on the days I have to split Malibu. It just helps me control the bike better

Just look at the pads, replace them as needed? Swap to organic if you want longer rotor life.

Coydog posted:

You don't understand, mom! We have something special! We have a shared facebook and everything. That means forever!!! You never support me!

Thank god you answered. I heard someone online mention an overfull clutch reservoir, but I couldn't understand how a clutch reservior could got hot enough to do that under regular use. It's right there in the wind on the bars, after all, and my covers are special ktm metal anodized (does that do anything?). So check it, and syringe out a bit of it? Not sure how to know if it's overfull.

That certainly makes more sense than clutch plates warping or wearing after 2000miles, and I know I am flogging it harder and holding the clutch in at stop lights more than Jazzzzz probably did.

Yeah, just pull the cover off and see if there's no space in there. Also, the oil wasn't changed with some sort of car/friction additive having oil, was it? The problem isn't the master cylinder, it's that you've got a stainless steel line hooked up to a slave cylinder that's stuck to the side of a hot engine that connects directly to the clutch basket via a pushrod that transmits heat and doesn't exactly give it much of a place to go.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
edit: i reed gud

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 27, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Yeah, just pull the cover off and see if there's no space in there. Also, the oil wasn't changed with some sort of car/friction additive having oil, was it? The problem isn't the master cylinder, it's that you've got a stainless steel line hooked up to a slave cylinder that's stuck to the side of a hot engine that connects directly to the clutch basket via a pushrod that transmits heat and doesn't exactly give it much of a place to go.

That makes perfect sense, especially with how warm it was this afternoon, and how hot the engine was. I'll check the level tomorrow, and likely take some out either way to see if there is a difference. Will let you know. Thank you for the expertise. You may have saved me a couple hundred.

Oil is definitely ok, I have the bottle that was used, and the previous owner knew the importance of the exact recommended oil.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

builds character posted:

Quoting this for when you get a new bike in six days. :allears:

The Duc lasted all of a week.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Beach Bum posted:

The Duc lasted all of a week.

You got me there, I do value a variety of experiences. The ducati was always a temporary stopgap, though, and it's brought me more happiness in the selling than it has in the riding.

The KTM 690 SMC? That has always been the goal, and the plan. It already has a lot of meat on it's bones for me to grow into, and it's bone stock. There are many steps between here and "as fast as I can make it". Plus, I don't expect to not have a supermoto at any point in the near future, and there just isn't anything that compares to it without adding lots of extra money for very little benifit.

Plus, Jazzzz's modded 690 is :perfect:

THE CLUTCH CULPRIT. I drained some clutch fluid with a syringe (have since put it back), and the clutch still slipped. My mechanic told me that he thought the hand guards were tweaked in getting it down here. I checked, and it was depressing the clutch lever just enough.

It works perfectly and normally now that I've fixed it. Tell me- how badly did I mess up my clutch the past few rides when I was trying to "reproduce the problem" ending in it slipping a bunch?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Does it still slip after? do you notice a difference? If the answer is no, continue using your KTM as intended. Secretly budget for a clutch *someday*. Otherwise, put a clutch in it and don't worry about it anymore.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's probably fine.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
No slipping now, and I feel like it bites as hard or harder than before. Front definitely comes up easier. I guess I dodged a bullet!

At least now I know what parts to get and how to installed them, when the time comes!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ha I was thinking about "I wonder if the clutch lever is stuck on something" but you hadn't mentioned changing anything up so I disregarded.

Clutch is probably fine, dirtbike clutches take abuse real well. Ride it and have fun!

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Well I'm back in the saddle again now - I just got a second hand CRF250l that I'd like to use as a baby's first adventure bike. I'm thinking of working myself into doing gentle touring and back roads/ dirt road exploring with it. I've got a couple of stupid newbie questions that I am a bit curious about.

Firstly, I used to own a TTR250 and 100kmhr riding on it felt like i was beating the piss out of the engine to extract that performance. The CRF seems to handle flat 100kmhr well with a little in reserve on the flats but still struggles with hills and headwinds and certainly can cruise on flat highways and keep up with traffic without me feeling like i'm flogging it to death. Am i being meaningfully hard on the engine in any way if I ride it as a weekend fun bike that probably will work out to be something like 75/25 100kph/ somewhat less riding or am I being paranoid?

Secondly, I may have asked this before but I'm having trouble finding my post, but is bungee cording a 4l plastic jerry can to the tail which already seems to conveniently have anchor points as a back up in case I screw up and can't find fuel/ extend range on long sections a terrible idea?

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 28, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Trambopaline posted:

Well I'm back in the saddle again now - I just got a second hand CRF250l that I'd like to use as a baby's first adventure bike. I'm thinking of working myself into doing gentle touring and back roads/ dirt road exploring with it. I've got a couple of stupid newbie questions that I am a bit curious about.

Firstly, I used to own a TTR250 and 100kmhr riding on it felt like i was beating the piss out of the engine to extract that performance. The CRF seems to handle flat 100kmhr well with a little in reserve on the flats but still struggles with hills and headwinds and certainly can cruise on flat highways and keep up with traffic without me feeling like i'm flogging it to death. Am i being meaningfully hard on the engine in any way if I ride it as a weekend fun bike that probably will work out to be something like 75/25 100kph/ somewhat less riding or am I being paranoid?

Secondly, I may have asked this before but I'm having trouble finding my post, but is bungee cording a 4l plastic jerry can to the tail which already seems to conveniently have anchor points as a back up in case I screw up and can't find fuel/ extend range on long sections a terrible idea?

You should be fine and why not get an msr fuel bottle or a rotopax? Either will be less likely to spray fuel everywhere if you go down.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

builds character posted:

why not get a rotopax?

:homebrew:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

If my forks need new bushings do I need bike specific ones, or can I just get something that fits 43mm showa forks?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Oh boy, do I feel stupid. A couple of weeks ago my bike shut off mid-ride but started up fine after a reboot. Today it happened again but this time I took it slow actually checked everything before trying to start the drat thing. And so I noticed the key was in the OFF position.

There is a slight resistance point just before the key locks into the ON position. I must have left the key half way, balancing on the spring tension between ON and OFF. And after a few minutes of p-twin vibrations the key snaps back to the OFF position. Last time I must have turned the bike on again without realizing it was off or something. :doh:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Schroeder91 posted:

If my forks need new bushings do I need bike specific ones, or can I just get something that fits 43mm showa forks?
I assume there might be some crossover there but every place that sells bushings indexes them by what bike they fit so I dunno where you'd find "43mm Showa" ones. Also I dunno about bushings but I recommend staying away from aftermarket seals, get OEM ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

makka-setan posted:

There is a slight resistance point just before the key locks into the ON position. I must have left the key half way, balancing on the spring tension between ON and OFF. And after a few minutes of p-twin vibrations the key snaps back to the OFF position. Last time I must have turned the bike on again without realizing it was off or something. :doh:

Hey, if you're ever having clutch problems, check to make sure the lever isn't rubbing up against anything.