Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

DontAskKant posted:

Also there's a makgeolli brewing group on Facebook that the brewing school I teach at is affiliated with. Don't like to cross SA and Facebook streams but it's incredibly helpful as the people who run it (I help out) are getting their certifications in Korea for makgeolli making.

That is really cool. I'll have to look it up, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Comb Your Beard posted:

How do you spoon Gochujang out of the container without some always sticking to the spoon? Even if I use that spoon to stir a sauce, some still stays on.

1. Spoon gochujang last

2. Stir that spoon into whatever you're cooking, so as not to waste it

OR

3. wipe it on some tofu and eat the tofu.

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Is it really traditional to serve it with what looks like 2 cloves of raw garlic for a relatively small amount of meat? I love garlic but drat. Or is it pickled or something?

lol 2 cloves u fukkin pansy

poo poo ain't hangookin until you eat a whole head of raw garlic

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Comb Your Beard posted:

How do you spoon Gochujang out of the container without some always sticking to the spoon? Even if I use that spoon to stir a sauce, some still stays on.

What I do with similarly sticky sauces is to coat the business-end of the spoon with a smidge of oil first, and then the stuff should slide easily off.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This ny times article is probably a must read for this thread. It's about a Buddhist nun who they say is one of the greatest chefs in the world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/t-magazine/jeong-kwan-the-philosopher-chef.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

Scandalous Wench
Aug 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Jeong Kwan is one of my new heroes. :3: Thank you, Snowy.

Scandalous Wench fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 24, 2016

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Finally managed to locate gochugaru - and now I have a 1lb bag of it.

What should I create?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

EVG posted:

Finally managed to locate gochugaru - and now I have a 1lb bag of it.

What should I create?

Gochujang :kheldragar:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Appreciated, but I do already have a tub of gochujang.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Use it to make kimchi

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Finally set out the onggi for 2-3 months. I grew the beans, harvested the beans, dried the beans, soaked the beans, cooked the beans, smashes the beans, molded the beans, dried the beans, put the beans in a giant pot I set on fire. Now I wait some more.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Why do kimchi tubs become internally pressurized after leaving them in the fridge and not opening them for a while? Is it because the kimchi is still fermenting? Or something else?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Raphisonfire posted:

Why do kimchi tubs become internally pressurized after leaving them in the fridge and not opening them for a while? Is it because the kimchi is still fermenting? Or something else?

It's still fermenting, just slower.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
So one of my hobbies is drinking way too much. And one of the ways I deal with the cosmic repercussions of this hobby is by making, or getting someone to make soup the next day. I'm pretty good at korean food, and one of my goals for my birthday is to make some Haejangguk. I have a couple questions.

A couple of the accounts make it sound like it's something that's cooked, in its complete form, for a rather long time. Would it work if I put it in a crock pot the night before? I don't trust my wife to cook it correctly or be willing to handle animal blood.

Which leads me to my second question. Does it have to be ox blood? I live in a corner of the world really without oxen. There are plenty of cattle around, so large-bovine blood is not a problem. Also, does it have to be congealed? Clotted? I can talk to a butcher about this, I suppose.

if anyone has a go-to recipe, I'd love to have it. Otherwise I'm going to just kind of read about a hundred versions of it and kind of average it together.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Haejangguk is not a recipe, it just means any soup eaten as a hangover cure. What you're talking about is seonjiguk.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Also, cow... ox... same thing. It usually comes in giant tins that sit out with red blood jello in it. Pick the dirt and flies out of it if you want to be fancy.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Whizbang posted:

Haejangguk is not a recipe, it just means any soup eaten as a hangover cure. What you're talking about is seonjiguk.

Got it. Thanks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Has anybody made namul with collard greens before? I bought some today figuring it'd be just like with spinach, but the stems are definitely thicker than spinach and I'm wondering if that'd make blanching it properly harder. Spinach is easy enough, but the crappy grocery store near where I live doesn't stock normal loving non-baby spinach, and H-Mart is relatively far away.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Blanch them longer.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Remove the stem.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It actually turns out pretty alright if you blanch for 3.5-4 minutes; the stem gets cooked well without overdoing the leaves. I cut the bunch into fourths before dressing it, though, so the stems are separate from the leaves anyway.

I'm considering working some banchan into my bento lunches (I'm sure someone's not happy about me mixing Korean food with Japanese food but whatever). Kimchi looks good, I do need more red in my diet. I just want a nice variety of tasty stuff whenever I eat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

It actually turns out pretty alright if you blanch for 3.5-4 minutes; the stem gets cooked well without overdoing the leaves. I cut the bunch into fourths before dressing it, though, so the stems are separate from the leaves anyway.

I'm considering working some banchan into my bento lunches (I'm sure someone's not happy about me mixing Korean food with Japanese food but whatever). Kimchi looks good, I do need more red in my diet. I just want a nice variety of tasty stuff whenever I eat.

That is a good idea. I have been doing like 3 banchans, a thing of kimchi and a couple tuna onigiri for lunch a few times a week. Pretty good lunch, gently caress the haters. Anyway, Japan has rolled over Korea enough times through history that Koreans taking Japanese foods is totally normal and vice versa.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm making kimchi for the first time this week and had a quick question. The recipe used shrimp paste and I'm not sure if that means I'll have to cook the kimchi first or can eat right out of the jar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You don't have to cook it, though cooked kimchi is a great thing to try.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

A few Kimchi questions:

I bought some kimchi at an asian grocery store (I think it specializes in korean stuff). It looks like they made it in the back or something, it was just a 16 Oz. plastic tub of the stuff.

1) Kimchi lasts for a while right? They don't have a date on it so I have no idea how old it is.
2) The parts on the top were more funky than the buried stuff. Is that normal/ok? Or did I poison myself with surface-kimchi? I took a bite off the top when I bought it and I just thought they had put a lot of fish sauce in it, but it seems like the lower leaves have less of that and more of the bright, salty flavor I was expecting.

I also got some gochujang so I need to start making bibimbap again.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Eeyo posted:

A few Kimchi questions:

I bought some kimchi at an asian grocery store (I think it specializes in korean stuff). It looks like they made it in the back or something, it was just a 16 Oz. plastic tub of the stuff.

1) Kimchi lasts for a while right? They don't have a date on it so I have no idea how old it is.
2) The parts on the top were more funky than the buried stuff. Is that normal/ok? Or did I poison myself with surface-kimchi? I took a bite off the top when I bought it and I just thought they had put a lot of fish sauce in it, but it seems like the lower leaves have less of that and more of the bright, salty flavor I was expecting.

I also got some gochujang so I need to start making bibimbap again.

It will get mold if it's kept too long with too much air or if you don't use clean utensils, usually Kahm yeast. You can take that part off.

It will smell bad if it's actually gone bad. Like vomit or baby diapers. Trust your nose.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I feel like I have asked this in this thread before. but because I literally have dementia

does anyone have a good resource or book for banchan recipes?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

mindphlux posted:

I feel like I have asked this in this thread before. but because I literally have dementia

does anyone have a good resource or book for banchan recipes?

Maangchi is the best for everything!

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

bringmyfishback posted:

This for the most part. I'll look up other recipes online from time to time to see if there are other ways to do things that I may prefer but I'm a big fan.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Q:

I have a half gallon thing of baby bok choi kimchee that i've eaten half of.

Can i get a daikon radish and dice it up and throw it in there, will it kimchee-ize?

Q2: Is there any special thing you need to do to the flat sheets of fish cake that you make the fish cake side dish out of? Eomuk bokkem I think.

I got some frozen ones and it has a fishier smell/flavor that the stuff i get as a banchan at my korean restaurant.

Anyone have a particularly good eomuk bokkeum recipe?

Something like this:

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 9, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bringmyfishback posted:

I tried making her bok choy recipe and I hosed it up badly. Since I didn't have one of the ingredients (the non-gochujang one), I replaced it with red miso that had been in my freezer for a long time, and it came out sour and awful. :barf: I really regret trying that. As a result, I'm holding off on the banchan for a while, but I'll come back to it sometime. I feel like I didn't give the dish the prep it deserved, but then again, I'm not a big fan of bok choy anyway.

I've got some kimchi that needs to be used up, and I'm considering draining it and stir-frying it as a really bullshit side dish. Maybe alongside some greens and chicken broth.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pollyanna posted:

I've got some kimchi that needs to be used up, and I'm considering draining it and stir-frying it as a really bullshit side dish.

Kimchi bokkeum is a completely legitimate side dish.

I find Maangchi useful to get an initial idea, but whenever I've followed her recipes I've been disappointed. Nothing she makes that I've tried tastes like it does in Korea, it's always bland in comparison.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hey my family does ceramics and we want to make our own kimchi fermentation crock things this summer. If anyone has one, is there any special consideration besides "sealable jar" or is that about it? I've never actually seen one IRL.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Scathach posted:

Hey my family does ceramics and we want to make our own kimchi fermentation crock things this summer. If anyone has one, is there any special consideration besides "sealable jar" or is that about it? I've never actually seen one IRL.

They are porous, that's as much as I really know. In Korea we're running into a problem of people producing poo poo with non food safe ceramic glaze and using the wrong type of clay. Basically making something that looks like an onggi without the function.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are two kind I've seen for kimchi. One is just a pot with a loose fitting lid which is larger than the top of the pot. The other has a basin around the lip to put water in, then the top of the pot rests in that. Like a sauerkraut jar.

Anyway just google onggi and look for something you like.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Thanks for the info! When we finally do this I'll take some pics and add to the thread, if that's okay.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I love cooking Korean food but it makes my kitchen smell like a dumpster and all my friends and family hate me for it. Today I made spicy rice cakes and tofu (tteokbokki) and when my neighbor came over to try a slice of the tiramisu I made last night he ran away as soon as I opened the door and wanted to know if I collect dead cats. :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What are you putting in ddeokbokki that smells like dead cats? I can't think of anything that even has a strong smell in that. The tofu is weird, though it sounds like it should work.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Could be the anchovy/kelp broth I simmered for about 20 minutes or all the kimchi I diced and mixed into the sauce

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

What are you putting in ddeokbokki that smells like dead cats? I can't think of anything that even has a strong smell in that. The tofu is weird, though it sounds like it should work.

I'm a big fan of crispy tofu in tteokbokki, esp with a pack of ramen and a slice of cheese as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Is there a different name for the tiny anchovy banchan (google tells me myeolchi-bokkeum which matches what my MIL is saying) when it's the slightly larger anchovies?

• Locked thread