Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
View Results

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TRUMP: I would love to respond. First of all, I got to watch in preparing for this some of your debates against Barack Obama. You treated him with terrible disrespect. And I watched the way you talk now about how lovely everything is and how wonderful you are. It doesn't work that way. You were after him, you were trying to -- you even sent out or your campaign sent out pictures of him in a certain garb, very famous pictures. I don't think you can deny that.

But just last week, your campaign manager said it was true. So when you tried to act holier than thou, it really doesn't work. It really doesn't.

Now, as far as the lawsuit, yes, when I was very young, I went into my father's company, had a real estate company in Brooklyn and Queens, and we, along with many, many other companies throughout the country -- it was a federal lawsuit -- were sued. We settled the suit with zero -- with no admission of guilt. It was very easy to do.

I notice you bring that up a lot. And, you know, I also notice the very nasty commercials that you do on me in so many different ways, which I don't do on you. Maybe I'm trying to save the money.

But, frankly, I look -- I look at that, and I say, isn't that amazing? Because I settled that lawsuit with no admission of guilt, but that was a lawsuit brought against many real estate firms, and it's just one of those things.

I'll go one step further. In Palm Beach, Florida, tough community, a brilliant community, a wealthy community, probably the wealthiest community there is in the world, I opened a club, and really got great credit for it. No discrimination against African- Americans, against Muslims, against anybody. And it's a tremendously successful club. And I'm so glad I did it. And I have been given great credit for what I did. And I'm very, very proud of it. And that's the way I feel. That is the true way I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chokes McGee posted:

Reminder that the second debate is a town hall.

Voters are going to get to ask them questions directly.

Yup.

Trump's only questions are going to come from Sean Hannity, who continually adopts a more ridiculous series of disguises.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
horse_ebooks would have been more coherent that what trump said tonight

Woden
May 6, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

Rob Lowe surprisingly demonstrated on Colbert's Late Show why undecided voters are idiots

Brother Entropy posted:

w

what happened

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Haven't gotten around to watching the debates yet, prolly gonna watch tomorrow afternoon with a friend. Looks like the general consensus is p much what I'd expect, give trump a mic and he'll give you wandering paragraphs of poorly thought out ideas. I'm more curious on the hill side of things, did she mostly just play it safe and let trump self destruct or did she say anything that would get leftists who aren't really into neoliberalism interested in her platform? Any active outreach to the would be bernie voters?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I really hope trump just refuses to do the rest of the debates now

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

https://twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/780618238753378304?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

that's all i got atm :shrug:

gotta wait for the yt to update, it was a live show

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Haven't gotten around to watching the debates yet, prolly gonna watch tomorrow afternoon with a friend. Looks like the general consensus is p much what I'd expect, give trump a mic and he'll give you wandering paragraphs of poorly thought out ideas. I'm more curious on the hill side of things, did she mostly just play it safe and let trump self destruct or did she say anything that would get leftists who aren't really into neoliberalism interested in her platform? Any active outreach to the would be bernie voters?

She talked about raising taxes on the wealthy and addressing student debt, basically the stuff that is already in her stump speech. She played it safe with policy responses but she didn't have to do much else, her opponent at times bragged about not paying any taxes at all, stiffing people that worked for him because they "didn't do a good job" and so on.

At this point most Bernie Sanders voters are already voting Hillary Clinton, I wouldn't expect much outreach. Sanders himself supports Clinton and anyone that thinks Clinton would be less responsive to pressure from the left than Trump is delusional.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The Ninth Layer posted:

She talked about raising taxes on the wealthy and addressing student debt, basically the stuff that is already in her stump speech. She played it safe with policy responses but she didn't have to do much else, her opponent at times bragged about not paying any taxes at all, stiffing people that worked for him because they "didn't do a good job" and so on.

At this point most Bernie Sanders voters are already voting Hillary Clinton, I wouldn't expect much outreach. Sanders himself supports Clinton and anyone that thinks Clinton would be less responsive to pressure from the left than Trump is delusional.

Oh well I guess I'll see for myself tomorrow, you're right though she really doesn't have to do much other than not be trump at this point.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

https://twitter.com/ABC7Jory/status/780650468317892609

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Davros1 posted:

Trump's only questions are going to come from Sean Hannity, who continually adopts a more ridiculous series of disguises.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Oh well I guess I'll see for myself tomorrow, you're right though she really doesn't have to do much other than not be trump at this point.

It's worth watching, a good performance from her and in a lot of ways an unbelievably bad performance from Trump.

If you're hoping for some discussion on leftist policies, we'll probably get some on the second debate which is the town hall format. I'd imagine there will be at least one question from a former Bernie Sanders supporter asking what lessons Clinton took from that campaign.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I want someone to ask a question like "what is your favorite Liam Neeson movie" just to hear Trump's rambling reaction. Clinton could probably take the safe route and go with Taken, or even Batman Begins.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I can't remember, do they vet the audience questions on those town hall debates?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how did it go since i doubt any uk news sources will say trump won reliably

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Reminder that the second debate is a town hall.

Voters are going to get to ask them questions directly.

Yup.

Don't the questions get pre-screened and selected by the organizers, though?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I want someone to ask a question like "what is your favorite Liam Neeson movie" just to hear Trump's rambling reaction. Clinton could probably take the safe route and go with Taken, or even Batman Begins.

Clinton would say "Schindler's List" to shore up the Florida vote.:haw:

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

Don't the questions get pre-screened and selected by the organizers, though?

I don't even think they let the person ask the questions. The moderator asks and just adds this "question is from mike hunts from palm beach Florida..." If they allowed live questions from people it would be the worst of the worst yelling about Benghazi

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jose posted:

Trump was a mess

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Jose posted:

If you like Trump you might be able to convince yourself it was a draw, but Boosted was calling out for Jeb before it was halfway done.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm still amazed that the email thing came up and then was put to sleep like a minute later. Up until now it's been the Power Word that ends all other discussions.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Keg posted:

A jpeg of words for you:

I didn't see the thing because it was at 3am, but was everything Trump said weird and disjointed like this? Because lol

This is Trump we're talking about

Has anything he's ever said NOT been disjointed?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

did anyone win at bingo?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

did anyone win at bingo?

i think so

dunno tho, I was watching the debate!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm still amazed that the email thing came up and then was put to sleep like a minute later. Up until now it's been the Power Word that ends all other discussions.

He is banging on about it post debate though. Release the emails is the new release the birth certificate and isn't going to go away for some time. He'll still be saying it years after they have all been made public and suggesting that they are forged if the birth certificate is anything to go by.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Baloogan posted:

i think so

dunno tho, I was watching the debate!

im too drunk, we're gonna have to check tomorrow or have people repost because gently caress~

so much happened this debate

so mcuh

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Basically, Clinton's campaign is coming out of this going "how can we capitalize on what happened here" while Trump's campaign is asking "how much damage was done and what can we do to reverse it, if possible" unless they're morons. Trump didn't lose any true believers but it's safe to say that any kind of progress he was making on people outside his base was halted or damaged. They didn't even need to be watching, there will be clips of Trump saying weird and outlandish things for a while. Clinton meanwhile did a decent job, which was expected. She's been in the hot seat before for these kinds of situations, she has a talent for one-on-one, and it's clear she came well-prepared. Because of Trump's messy presentation, she ended up not having to travel outside her wheelhouse except on a couple occasions. She could have done better but I imagine a almost all of her preparation was being prepared for which version of Trump was going to show up and being able to handle it. Not a lot of room for being able to deep-dive on a topic, especially when anything off the beaten path never came up anyway.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lastgirl posted:

im too drunk, we're gonna have to check tomorrow or have people repost because gently caress~

so much happened this debate

so mcuh

i remember seeing at least like one bingo card posted that won. i assume a handful might have

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
by doing worse, trump is playing the long con

why bother going out to vote for hillary if she is guaranteed to win

then she loses like brexit

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Even after he loses there will probably be people insisting he is actually a master manipulator playing the public like a fiddle, that he wanted to lose all along for *insert dumb reason or outright conspiracy theory*.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Peztopiary posted:

I don't believe Trump knows what 'America's long-standing policy on first use' is and I wish Hillary had called him on it.

His response was word salad.

Yeah when Holt asked this and Trump started his response I sat up and said "Oh gosh he doesn't know" :haw:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It's astonishing that they didn't beat that into him the first time he hosed up talking about the nuclear triad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Moon Atari posted:

Even after he loses there will probably be people insisting he is actually a master manipulator playing the public like a fiddle, that he wanted to lose all along for *insert dumb reason or outright conspiracy theory*.

is he making more money scamming the campaign than he's spending on flights to new york?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jose posted:

is he making more money scamming the campaign than he's spending on flights to new york?

He actually makes the secret service pay for those flights, so he makes a profit from doing that.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hillary did a very good job answering the question, apologizing and admitting that she did a dumb thing makes her look human. Compare to "no admission of guilt" Trump...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

my bony fealty posted:

Hillary did a very good job answering the question, apologizing and admitting that she did a dumb thing makes her look human. Compare to "no admission of guilt" Trump...
She somehow managed to not sound like a lawyer in the same debate where Trump proudly said maybe the number one thing everyone hates about civil law versus big companies. And he said it like three times I think?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Do you even look at millenial polls? She's losing a lot to Gary Johnson (lol) and Jill Stein. Taking Bernie supporters for granted was a giant mistake.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
No, because those people are the Democratic deplorables. They were never going to come around. Most of them won't vote, and no matter how hard they stamp their feet they'll never matter.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

How the hell did Trump manage to go through a cyber question and talk about his son, but not Hillary's e-mails? How did Trump go through the whole night without bringing up deplorables? pee pee doo doo Trump is a bad candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I know Trump got slaughtered last night because my google News feed this morning has barely a peep about it

• Locked thread