Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Echoing that 4e rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Eiba posted:

Well...

In other words, a lovely internet poll turned this blurb from "Clinton clear debate winner" to "Who won? Depends who you ask..."

Turns out asking the internet at large gets you a really stupid answer!

r/the_donald were actively rushing the internet polls, so this is actually just uncharacteristically bad reporting from the BBC.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

r/the_donald were actively rushing the internet polls, so this is actually just uncharacteristically bad reporting from the BBC.
Oh, yeah. I know. If you go into the thread where they were organizing it they mention the CNBC poll specifically.

I was pointing out that the alt-right internet trolls successfully manipulated at least this one small part of the narrative.

It's poo poo.

At least the debate reaction has been so clear otherwise that it will (hopefully) not make a real difference in the longrun. The BBC already has an analysis article out explaining that it was largely a Clinton win (when I looked before the only indication of the "winner" was the "depends on who you ask" post I quoted).

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

E. Nesbit posted:

4e is awesome and was only walked back because 75% of roleplayers are unimaginative garbage dipshits like you, who suck and should be destroyed. Seriously, you think 5e was actually playtested or even thought of as anything more than a cheap cashout? Get hosed.

<crossposted from TG>

This is a good post and I like you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

E. Nesbit posted:

4e is awesome and was only walked back because 75% of roleplayers are unimaginative garbage dipshits like you, who suck and should be destroyed. Seriously, you think 5e was actually playtested or even thought of as anything more than a cheap cashout? Get hosed.

<crossposted from TG>

*shakes old person cane* bring back 3e, ya WoW-loving ninnies!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Vegetable posted:

If Hillary did that they'd call her unpresidential

Yeah but that involves physically looking at the guy next to her and, well:

https://twitter.com/SuperSpacedad/status/780598420620713985

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I'm suddenly missing the House Un-American Activities Commission about now. With how much Trump thinks America is a poo poo hole, they'd have a goddamn field day.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I was on an airplane for the last 16 hrs how did it go?!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Avian Pneumonia posted:

If your plane had nosedived into the tarmac it would have been an appropriate metaphor for Trump's demeanour and performance

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Avian Pneumonia posted:

trump spent four minutes talking about how his 10-year-old son could 'cyber' the terrorists and defeat them

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DOMDOM posted:

gently caress the goon hivemind. This is the same groupthink that beat me into submission over dungeons and dragons 4.0 being good when in fact it was a pile of dogshit that has since been completely walked back. If I wanted to mindlessly follow groupthink I'd go to reddit.

Debate felt even to me. More trump talking trump off the cuff, though restrained compared to previous appearances. And clinton reciting whatever soundbites her handlers had her memorize.

Neither is fit for presidency, and theres not even a valid 3rd party candidate to throw your vote away on.

What a time to be alive.

You'd probably be happier at Reddit where groupthink is discouraged by selectively highlighting numerically popular voices then.

Clinton did a legit good job being sharp and nice and smiling and Trump literally couldn't have told more lies while looking and sounding like a bellows. Debates aren't really where you detail policy specifics.

You're a dumb person.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Trump didn't have any disastrous blowups, he rambled frequently and was incoherent at times. In other words: Trump basically was Trump. Hillary, as expected, gave coherent answers, but was generally uninspiring and came off as heavily scripted. Overall the whole thing was pretty underwhelming and my wife and I went to bed with 15-20 minutes to go. Hillary probably "won", but I'd be surprised if we saw major swings in the polls come out of this.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

LogisticEarth posted:

Trump didn't have any disastrous blowups, he rambled frequently and was incoherent at times. In other words: Trump basically was Trump. Hillary, as expected, gave coherent answers, but was generally uninspiring and came off as heavily scripted. Overall the whole thing was pretty underwhelming and my wife and I went to bed with 15-20 minutes to go. Hillary probably "won", but I'd be surprised if we saw major swings in the polls come out of this.

Heavily scripted? I felt like Hillary did a great job of responding specifically to what Trump said. Especially the "I... think my opponent just criticised me for preparing for the debate?"

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Let's talk about the important stuff: if you think 3ed and 5ed are good RPG systems, you are a terrible roleplayer and nobody will ever reminisce about anything imaginative that happened during your games.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
People saying Trump acted as expected are not getting what happened. He starts the debate pretty calm. Hilary baited him. He took the bait and lost his mind. She realized that if you deflect any criticisms to be about him then he'll go on the defensive instead of attacking her. She spends most of the debate taking fake notes and looking at him with a look of concern and mild disdain until she gets to the point where she, during a debate, tells the rest of the world that she WILL be president and not to worry and it doesn't seem out of place. She waits for him to make an rear end out of himself before she hits hard on racism and misogyny.

People who watched this and saw boring Hilary standing alongside a screaming pile of poop aren't getting what happened. Everything that happened on that stage is what Hilary Clinton wanted to happen. It's one of the smartest debate performances in recent memory, and she is objectively better at debating than Obama.

Nobody was ever going to give a poo poo about Hilary's policies at this point. She's laid out her policies and people react to the drama and scandals instead. So she ignored the policies, went on stage and pretended that she already was president, and turned Trump into a joke.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

SirSamVimes posted:

Heavily scripted? I felt like Hillary did a great job of responding specifically to what Trump said. Especially the "I... think my opponent just criticised me for preparing for the debate?"

Funny you mention that line because my wife literally said "that felt pretty prepped", and at the time I felt it was kinda lame. I thought pretty much all the "zingers" fell flat on both sides. Hillary kept it cool but 90% of that was because Trump was just unable to come back with anything and was on the defensive for most of the debate blustering about his business success and good-brain opinions/temperament/judgement. Many people have said (rightly, I think) that Hillary needed to boost Hillary and get people excited about her as a candidate, and I don't think that happened.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Those were incredibly obviously pre-prepared lines, and a good try for 5 years ago?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

who cares if they're pre-prepared lines? We're grading them on their ability to be president, not their ability to freestyle.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Trump saying that he is smart by not paying his taxes is not being picked up on enough, and as a singular sound bite should be enough to disqualify him as a candidate in this election.

In a sane country.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

Endorph posted:

who cares if they're pre-prepared lines? We're grading them on their ability to be president, not their ability to freestyle.

you and i have very different ideals as to who should be president

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Rakosi posted:

Trump saying that he is smart by not paying his taxes is not being picked up on enough, and as a singular sound bite should be enough to disqualify him as a candidate in this election.

In a sane country.

Could you get the right behind you by mentioning that tax evasion is stealing from the military?

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

Rakosi posted:

In a sane country.

yeah but he's stealing taxes from a lovely corrupt government. Not his new and better government. (realpost :smug: )

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Billmac posted:

you and i have very different ideals as to who should be president
yeah john cena would be a good president

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Gort posted:

Could you get the right behind you by mentioning that tax evasion is stealing from the military?

The right doesn't give a poo poo about giving money to the military unless it's OTHER people's money, like them dirty liberals who have too much and blow it all on fancy college degrees. Trump is "one of us" and "we" don't need to spend our precious money on weapons. Weapons money should come from those welfare queens and inner-city coffee shop liberal professor types, not honest folk who have enough bills to pay and mouths to feed.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Billmac posted:

yeah but he's stealing taxes from a lovely corrupt government. Not his new and better government. (realpost :smug: )

Yeah, he kinda mumbled that "it wasn't going to make a difference anyway".

Hillary's stuff was canned but honestly trump is what you get when you get off the cuff, no prep stuff. Trump wasted his best stuff on side-jibes during Shillary's time and when it was his turn to talk he sounded like a mix of Alex Jones and Gordon Gecko.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If memory serves me correctly, the big tough man you're all saying probably sounded presidential so it'll be a wash and so on, complained that his opponent is purchasing advertising (largely consisting of his own words) which is negatively discussing his candidacy and - if I may quote - "That's not nice, I don't deserve that."

This, you call strength??

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

I'm guessing no, because "support our troops" usually comes with an implied "unless it affects my taxes." Worth a shot though.

Billmac posted:

Yeah this. And taxation is only a moral responsibility insofar as it pays for the military and the criminal justice system, which I'm sure is a pittance compared to the percentage of my taxes that go to welfare queens, buying overpriced birthday cakes for DMV employees, and Obamacare.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Ragnar34 posted:

Yeah this. And taxation is only a moral responsibility insofar as it pays for the military and the criminal justice system, which I'm sure is a pittance compared to the percentage of my taxes that go to welfare queens, buying overpriced birthday cakes for DMV employees, and Obamacare.

So you think each citizen should only pay as much tax as they think they should?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Timeless Appeal posted:

People saying Trump acted as expected are not getting what happened. He starts the debate pretty calm. Hilary baited him. He took the bait and lost his mind. She realized that if you deflect any criticisms to be about him then he'll go on the defensive instead of attacking her. She spends most of the debate taking fake notes and looking at him with a look of concern and mild disdain until she gets to the point where she, during a debate, tells the rest of the world that she WILL be president and not to worry and it doesn't seem out of place. She waits for him to make an rear end out of himself before she hits hard on racism and misogyny.

People who watched this and saw boring Hilary standing alongside a screaming pile of poop aren't getting what happened. Everything that happened on that stage is what Hilary Clinton wanted to happen. It's one of the smartest debate performances in recent memory, and she is objectively better at debating than Obama.

Nobody was ever going to give a poo poo about Hilary's policies at this point. She's laid out her policies and people react to the drama and scandals instead. So she ignored the policies, went on stage and pretended that she already was president, and turned Trump into a joke.
I don't know man, seems like a draw :foxnews:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah right off the bat she pointed out the 14 million dollar startup and later stated that he probably isn't as rich as he claims. Those were 100% intended to bait him.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zeeman posted:

I've been seeing some Trump supporters desperately claiming that Holt didn't ask her difficult questions, but the cybersecurity question was such an obvious setup about the emails that he completely hosed up. He seemed legitimately thrown off when she said she made a mistake earlier, like it's unfathomable for someone to admit they were wrong.

She said "I take responsibility for that" only after she found out she would receive zero punishment for breaking the law which is a pretty weirf snd bullshit thing to say

Essentially her strategy was just to blankly deny anything with zero explanation and annoy her opponent. Her debate was pretty much the opposite of fact or issue focused which is why it worked. Unfortunately this isn't really a good sign either...

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 27, 2016

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

I don't think Trump, or anyone in his camp, can complain about Hilary Clinton not facing justice if Trump himself dodges the taxes that pay for the judicial process in America. And he thinks that behavior is smart.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Thid debate really sets up hillary for the next one too. Trump is going to read all about how he lost this one and be left with only two losing options going forward.

One do what he did last night and also lose the next one.

Two, amp it up like in the primaries in witch case he will cement his base, but fail to grow support and lose the election.

The only real successful correction he can make to bring broader support in later debates is to become a person who can seem intelligent about governing that is not triggered by the name "Rosie O'Donnel".

Unfortunately for him being president is less important than losing a feud to an irrelevant comic from like 15 years ago, when she said he wasn't rich.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

GarudaPrime posted:

Thid debate really sets up hillary for the next one too. Trump is going to read all about how he lost this one and be left with only two losing options going forward.

Two, amp it up like in the primaries in witch case he will cement his base, but fail to grow support and lose the election.

The only real successful correction he can make to bring broader support in later debates is to become a person who can seem intelligent about governing that is not triggered by the name "Rosie O'Donnel".

Unfortunately for him being president is less important than losing a feud to an irrelevant comic from like 15 years ago, when she said he wasn't rich.

Remember that debate 2 is a town hall so trump screaming at people in the crowd is not going to be a good look

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's only something that someone who actually prepared for a debate with what kind of person their opponent is in mind could have done.

Remember when they said that they were having trouble finding someone as awful as trump to be her practice opponent? Well, they found a good debate partner in a longtime aide of hers who like her, has a broad understanding of how debates work and keen observation of trump's behavior:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clintons-shrewd-longtime-aide-playing-donald-trump/story?id=42326023

That should have been a red flag to the trump campaign that Hillary was serious about not being caught off guard by trump's routine of bloviating and bullshitting with scurrilous insults as he did in the primaries.

Instead trump and his staff apparently thought they could just get away with business as usual because the trick of 'letting trump be trump' has worked until now. But it worked the way that beginner's luck does. It doesn't work on a seasoned opponent who say what happened in the primaries and the campaign trail.

So basically trump is going to have to cram about 4 decades worth of political savvy and debate skills into the next several weeks if he wants to even stand a remote chance.

GarudaPrime posted:

Knowing what trump is like, this is the start of the usual downward spiral that always happens when he feels like he's lost control - instead of trying to figure out why he lost he's going to blame everyone but himself, and then at most try some cockamamie halfassed tricks that his handpicked staff of yes-men suggest.

This debate was a crushing defeat; the next ones are likely to be even worse for him.

He's already cancelled his rally after the debate to hunker down in his bunker war room at trump tower and try to figure this out, but he's way way way behind the curve already.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 27, 2016

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Mange Mite posted:

She said "I take responsibility for that" only after she found out she would receive zero punishment for breaking the law which is a pretty weirf snd bullshit thing to say

Essentially her strategy was just to blankly deny anything with zero explanation and annoy her opponent. Her debate was pretty much the opposite of fact or issue focused which is why it worked. Unfortunately this isn't really a good sign either...

What the gently caress even is this. I don't even understand how some of you are drawing these conclusions.

This won't affect Trump's base. He could set a bald eagle on fire and piss on it to put the flames out, and he'd still draw 40%. This should, however, affect voters that may not like Clinton but also don't want to elect a slobbering idiot to the presidency. As third party support erodes as the election nears, Trump's stammering maw will remain etched in their minds.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I missed the debate so I looked up a highlight reel and all I saw was an overgrown baby throwing a tantrum while being eviscerated by a woman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo6ygpZYERc

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Cthulhumatic posted:

What the gently caress even is this. I don't even understand how some of you are drawing these conclusions.

It's Mange Mite. He isn't so much "drawing conclusions" as opposed to just posting nonsense.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LogisticEarth posted:

Are you, like Trump, criticizing Hillary for preparing for the debate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rakosi posted:

So you think each citizen should only pay as much tax as they think they should?
You said this like three hours ago, but: gently caress no, I'm just trying to work out the mentality we're dealing with here. "I'll do everything I can to avoid paying my taxes because the government is just going to waste it all on welfare queens, who only spend their food stamps on neck tattoos and unnecessary babies every month." That's why we've got people whining about their taxes every year, right? No? Maybe? I don't know anything anymore after the past few months.

• Locked thread