Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people don't want to pay taxes because they like having money and wish they had more of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am a foreigner, never seen Trump live, watched the debates because being interested in who becomes commander-in-chief of the world's biggest military and nuclear arsenal is kinda important, I think Hillary has a lot going against her, but please do not elect Mr. I-Have-A-Winning-Temperament to the position of president of your republic.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

WarpedLichen posted:

It really depends, a lot of the US airports are really showing their age. I don't think any US Airport is as nice as Singapore's or Hong Kong's which were probably way newer.

Austin's is pretty nice. It's also only 15 years old, so that helps.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hahahah, this is the first time I watched Trump talk for more than 5min and I finally get it. All these months I've been trying to wrap my mind around his success and trying to understand what is going on and all it took was 10min of debating him. No one thinks he is a good candidate or competent, that's not why people are voting for him.

Everyone understands he is a dipshit. Everyone who is voting for him is just an accelerationist troll trying to get a sick burn on the establishment. Wants to see it all burn, out of frustration. Well, I wish you all the luck with your American Yeltsin. You think you have it bad now? Wait till you are getting paid in toilet bowls and car tires and are finding dead hobos in your trash every other day. That's the only way how you will ever learn your lesson and at least it will stick for a generation or two. Go for Yeltsin, America. I encourage you.

e: source your quotes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Has Hillary still won the debate.

The media cn change facts given enough time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

People saying Trump acted as expected are not getting what happened. He starts the debate pretty calm. Hilary baited him. He took the bait and lost his mind. She realized that if you deflect any criticisms to be about him then he'll go on the defensive instead of attacking her. She spends most of the debate taking fake notes and looking at him with a look of concern and mild disdain until she gets to the point where she, during a debate, tells the rest of the world that she WILL be president and not to worry and it doesn't seem out of place. She waits for him to make an rear end out of himself before she hits hard on racism and misogyny.

People who watched this and saw boring Hilary standing alongside a screaming pile of poop aren't getting what happened. Everything that happened on that stage is what Hilary Clinton wanted to happen. It's one of the smartest debate performances in recent memory, and she is objectively better at debating than Obama.

Nobody was ever going to give a poo poo about Hilary's policies at this point. She's laid out her policies and people react to the drama and scandals instead. So she ignored the policies, went on stage and pretended that she already was president, and turned Trump into a joke.

Thats a pretty good analysis.

Plus when Trump said women cant be president, that was bad.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Not many bank branches are closed on Sundays anymore but the ones that are open are typically running at lower staffing and shorter hours.

Trump is short staffed and the number of employees he has must be some small digits.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I liked "Truth Trump" in this debate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUbzT25kZ6s&t=575s

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm only here for the Hillary themed Johnny Fiveaces fan art.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When people are exposed to Hilllary they like her and her numbers go up.

I hope she gets a large bounce out of these debates.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chilichimp posted:

Trump is short staffed and the number of employees he has must be some small digits.

He's bragged about how tiny his digits and short his staff are, though.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

Funny you mention that line because my wife literally said "that felt pretty prepped", and at the time I felt it was kinda lame. I thought pretty much all the "zingers" fell flat on both sides. Hillary kept it cool but 90% of that was because Trump was just unable to come back with anything and was on the defensive for most of the debate blustering about his business success and good-brain opinions/temperament/judgement. Many people have said (rightly, I think) that Hillary needed to boost Hillary and get people excited about her as a candidate, and I don't think that happened.

She was heavily prepped. A lot of times it kinda fell flat but the stamina quip was devastatingly good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FAUXTON posted:

He's bragged about how tiny his digits ... are

Because he has small hands you see

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My favorite part of the F-35 is that STVOL feature the marine version has that bungled up lots of other things for the non-STVOL is also causing us an expensive redesign on their carrier's because, lol, the drat jets melt the landing/take off surfaces. Oh! And the F35 doesn't play nice with our multi-billion dollar new carrier launchers because their fuel tanks drag on take off.

But yeah, the F-35 Program is absolutely loving hilariously bad, and we're stuck with it too because not only did we go all in, but we got our allies to go all in on it too.

The thing about the F-35 is that you can fix it pretty drat fast if you just poo poo can the STVOL variant.

I know that the Marine Corps gets all touchy about Guadalcanal, but we shouldn't be spending billions of dollars based on a 70 year old battle.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The Army Air Force was also flying from Henderson, the US Navy took far more casualties than the Marines at Guadalcanal, a Coast Guardsman was awarded a Medal of Honor at Guadalcanal and the Marines were relieved by the Army National Guard.

Therefore, gently caress the F-35B it is bad and dumb.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

After rewatching the highlights this morning, someone give the man a Zyrtec-D I mean goddamn the sniffling is out of control.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rosalind posted:

After rewatching the highlights this morning, someone give the man a Zyrtec-D I mean goddamn the sniffling is out of control.

Too much coke.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Because he has small hands you see

:thejoke:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I am still in a post-coital glow from that debate.

SirSamVimes posted:

Echoing that 4e rules.

Are bad.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cthulhumatic posted:

This won't affect Trump's base. He could set a bald eagle on fire and piss on it to put the flames out, and he'd still draw 40%.

He couldn't do that. This is where people miss it, they think he's doing any old random thing. He couldn't kill a bald eagle and get a vote his base would hate that. He could take a bald little black baby and grind it under his heel and his approval would go up. Because the "wacky" "random" bad stuff he says isn't just any old things, it's specific things that appeal to specific people that haven't had a direct voice in American politics for a while (because they shouldn't have a voice in a modern country) and have had decades of people talking around their values with codewords and stuff.

When he says he wants to take guns from black people, stop and frisk minorities and that women don't have the stamina to run a country he's not loving up, he's speaking to a huge population in america that isn't used to being spoken directly to. And it might well end up being a winning strategy if people ignore how many (terrible) people it resonates with.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I liked when he kept saying x should pay and called Japan the behemoth of car making. The man is stuck in the 80's.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He couldn't do that. This is where people miss it, they think he's doing any old random thing. He couldn't kill a bald eagle and get a vote his base would hate that. He could take a bald little black baby and grind it under his heel and his approval would go up. Because the "wacky" "random" bad stuff he says isn't just any old things, it's specific things that appeal to specific people that haven't had a direct voice in American politics for a while (because they shouldn't have a voice in a modern country) and have had decades of people talking around their values with codewords and stuff.

When he says he wants to take guns from black people, stop and frisk minorities and that women don't have the stamina to run a country he's not loving up, he's speaking to a huge population in america that isn't used to being spoken directly to. And it might well end up being a winning strategy if people ignore how many (terrible) people it resonates with.

And unless the election is an utter blowout in Clinton's favor, you can look forward to plenty more of this in 2020. The conventional wisdom for the last while has been that blatant race and culture war baiting is seriously detrimental to a candidate, but Trump has shot that naive little fancy dead.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Honest Thief posted:

I liked when he kept saying x should pay and called Japan the behemoth of car making. The man is stuck in the 80's.

He literally said the US is failing because China is awesome and we should be emulating them. His entire message is that the US is the worst country in the world and we should be more like Russia and China, and somehow that resonates with his weird nationalist base

it resonates because they're all authoritarian douchebags who should be shot into the sun

lfield
May 10, 2008
Trumps damage is already done, in one sense. He's proved that saying horrible poo poo will at least get you through the primaries, and I'm sure there's enough shameless people out there willing to emulate that even if it means not winning the general.

He's also made it nigh impossible for the left to constructively criticize Clinton, since with regards to him, her policies barely matter. She isn't a literal crazy person. Not a fan of this Trump fellow.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

lfield posted:

He's also made it nigh impossible for the left to constructively criticize Clinton, since with regards to him, her policies barely matter. She isn't a literal crazy person. Not a fan of this Trump fellow.

Ahh yes, the gamergate effect.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It was nice to confirm that the loud strongman the white nationalists think is their savior turns into a sniffling baby the moment he's challenged by someone who won't cower before him.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Skippy McPants posted:

And unless the election is an utter blowout in Clinton's favor, you can look forward to plenty more of this in 2020. The conventional wisdom for the last while has been that blatant race and culture war baiting is seriously detrimental to a candidate, but Trump has shot that naive little fancy dead.

Yeah, really for ages, but acutely since the 'tea party' became a thing the right in america has been dancing around certain opinions and only talking about them in code and implication. And at some point it turned out there is an audience for that. The demographics learned for a while that you shouldn't say bigoted things in public but they didn't learn not to be bigoted, they didn't vanish. Now the idea of "you shouldn't say it in public" is fading and speaking to that is creating a totally viable candidate.

Like every time he says something bigoted people are all "oopsy doopsy, he messed up! what a loon!" but he isn't messing up. There is a ton of Americans, millions of americans that hold horrible out dated values and he is speaking to them in a way candidates have not for a generation. And people ignore it or act like he's just craaaazy and not noticing how much speaking to that voter base wins him.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My favorite part of the F-35 is that STVOL feature the marine version has that bungled up lots of other things for the non-STVOL is also causing us an expensive redesign on their carrier's because, lol, the drat jets melt the landing/take off surfaces. Oh! And the F35 doesn't play nice with our multi-billion dollar new carrier launchers because their fuel tanks drag on take off.

But yeah, the F-35 Program is absolutely loving hilariously bad, and we're stuck with it too because not only did we go all in, but we got our allies to go all in on it too.

There's another side to it as well.

The Navy is struggling to field full carrier flight groups because the F-18, being so far beyond its original design lifetime, can barely stay airborne. poo poo is so bad we're borrowing poo poo from NASA to be able to fabricate parts that nobody makes anymore.

The Marine Corps bought up all of the semi-serviceable UK Harriers after they adopted their version of the F-35B because we're running out of spare parts ourselves here in the states and there are no production facilities still tooled to produce the core airframe components required to keep both the F-18 and the Harrier in the air.

Yeah, the F-35 is plagued by problems and feature creep, but we kind of need it or something like it to replace our already falling apart fleet of aircraft.

I can't speak much to the USAF side of the house but I do know that the F-15s are seeing fatigue and stress issues with the core of the aircraft in their fleet as well. I don't know anything about the logistical shortcomings on the F-16 side of the house.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

Hahahah, this is the first time I watched Trump talk for more than 5min and I finally get it. All these months I've been trying to wrap my mind around his success and trying to understand what is going on and all it took was 10min of debating him. No one thinks he is a good candidate or competent, that's not why people are voting for him.

Everyone understands he is a dipshit. Everyone who is voting for him is just an accelerationist troll trying to get a sick burn on the establishment. Wants to see it all burn, out of frustration. Well, I wish you all the luck with your American Yeltsin. You think you have it bad now? Wait till you are getting paid in toilet bowls and car tires and are finding dead hobos in your trash every other day. That's the only way how you will ever learn your lesson and at least it will stick for a generation or two. Go for Yeltsin, America. I encourage you.

e: source your quotes

That's only among the younger, educated demographics, who don't really vote in numbers. Older Gen Xers, boomers, especially among the uneducated just see Clinton as evil and the Democratic Party as the opposition and will vote against them by default. If your social media trends older as opposed to younger, you get a good mix of people who just blindly vote conservative and a lot of more educated boomers who are "truth is in the middle" who probably won't vote and hold a 'they were both bad' position because they don't want to denounce Trump in public and turn off their right-leaning friends. The latter probably accounts for many of the undecideds.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like every time he says something bigoted people are all "oopsy doopsy, he messed up! what a loon!" but he isn't messing up. There is a ton of Americans, millions of americans that hold horrible out dated values and he is speaking to them in a way candidates have not for a generation. And people ignore it or act like he's just craaaazy and not noticing how much speaking to that voter base wins him.

Well, until Trump tried it, the consensus was that dropping the dog-whistles and speaking unfiltered hate was political suicide. The fact that he's done it and still managed to keep anything like parity in the polls is both depressing as gently caress, and a clear signal that we can expect a to see more like him in the near future.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, until Trump tried it, the consensus was that dropping the dog-whistles and speaking unfiltered hate was political suicide. The fact that he's done it and still managed to keep anything like parity in the polls is both depressing as gently caress, and a clear signal that we can expect a to see more like him in the near future.

Even if Trump gets shithoused in the general election, the fact remains that the largest single bloc of Republican primary voters wants open race hate and general unfiltered craziness. That's baked in, and it's not like a bunch of minorities are jumping ship to the GOP now to change that.

Trump's formula can be copied by anybody that wants to win the primary until the Republican primary electorate itself turns into something else. Which, uh, is a tall order.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, until Trump tried it, the consensus was that dropping the dog-whistles and speaking unfiltered hate was political suicide.

Who's consensus? Everyone I talk to thinks racism is bad, everyone on my facebook thinks racism is bad, the tv pays lip service to the idea you should say racist things as a decorum thing even if they don't go to saying racism is bad except in the most bland definitions. But in a lot of ways that is a bubble and a lot of Americas flat out think 'racism is good" is a good opinion. full stop.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sean10mm posted:

Even if Trump gets shithoused in the general election, the fact remains that the largest single bloc of Republican primary voters wants open race hate and general unfiltered craziness. That's baked in, and it's not like a bunch of minorities are jumping ship to the GOP now to change that.

Trump's formula can be copied by anybody that wants to win the primary until the Republican primary electorate itself turns into something else. Which, uh, is a tall order.

That's assuming the GOP remains in its current form for any appreciable length of time. The crazy bloc taking over has pushed out the party establishment, directly leading to a Trump candidacy and seriously dividing the Republicans between the crazy alt-right and racists and the more old school conservatives who aren't as openly offensive. The country as a whole is shifting away from the alt-right, which means that the GOP base going insane is only sapping their power. We stand a good chance of the party either needing a complete overhaul or going the way of the Whigs.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Who's consensus? Everyone I talk to thinks racism is bad, everyone on my facebook thinks racism is bad, the tv pays lip service to the idea you should say racist things as a decorum thing even if they don't go to saying racism is bad except in the most bland definitions. But in a lot of ways that is a bubble and a lot of Americas flat out think 'racism is good" is a good opinion. full stop.

Have you just not heard of the Southern Strategy and Lee Atwater or what. It was a literal republican consensus for a long time

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

That's assuming the GOP remains in its current form for any appreciable length of time. The crazy bloc taking over has pushed out the party establishment, directly leading to a Trump candidacy and seriously dividing the Republicans between the crazy alt-right and racists and the more old school conservatives who aren't as openly offensive. The country as a whole is shifting away from the alt-right, which means that the GOP base going insane is only sapping their power. We stand a good chance of the party either needing a complete overhaul or going the way of the Whigs.

I don't see this happening as long as they can dominate smaller population groups. Someone could literally promise to murder people and still win House Seats in Ohio and Indiana as a Republican.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But in a lot of ways that is a bubble and a lot of Americas flat out think 'racism is good" is a good opinion. full stop.

My point is that even GOP hopefuls were inside that bubble. For the last generation or so they've been more reserved, sticking to inference and coded language because they thought that's what one had to do if one wanted to stoke the racially motivated base while still keeping general election hopes alive. Trump has murderdd that idea by showing that nope, you can just say it outright! Your base will loving love you, and it appears that being an outright bigot isn't enough to condemn your electoral hopes in the year 2016.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 27, 2016

Trade Chat Troll
Jan 22, 2010
I don't think blowing up Iranian patrol boats has received enough attention... This country has a long long history of going to war after having its boats blown up.

[img-crying-Maine.png]

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
We got to see a rerun of the debates and one little thing that got my wife very happy was the mention of the Miss Universe woman who Trump called "Miss Piggy" and who later went on to become a US citizen. Many of my own in laws immigrated to the US and became naturalized citizens, not to mention their own kids growing up seeing how badly their parents were treated.

It got me wondering how much longer is it going to be before Latinos make up a big enough voting bloc that Republicans can't ignore. You have a lot of people growing up surrounded by demagogues that would like nothing more to send their un documented parents away, criticizing them for speaking a language other than English, and active discrimination and harassment. So when these people actually have the power to vote, how much is it going to change things? Latinos are among the fastest growing minority groups in the US.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Panfilo posted:

We got to see a rerun of the debates and one little thing that got my wife very happy was the mention of the Miss Universe woman who Trump called "Miss Piggy" and who later went on to become a US citizen. Many of my own in laws immigrated to the US and became naturalized citizens, not to mention their own kids growing up seeing how badly their parents were treated.

It got me wondering how much longer is it going to be before Latinos make up a big enough voting bloc that Republicans can't ignore. You have a lot of people growing up surrounded by demagogues that would like nothing more to send their un documented parents away, criticizing them for speaking a language other than English, and active discrimination and harassment. So when these people actually have the power to vote, how much is it going to change things? Latinos are among the fastest growing minority groups in the US.

The answer was when they started losing Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't see this happening as long as they can dominate smaller population groups. Someone could literally promise to murder people and still win House Seats in Ohio and Indiana as a Republican.

Does it really matter when they lose power? "Religious freedom" pro-discrimination bills are being struck down or rescinded due to their unpopularity causing economic backlash, gay marriage was legalized, we're on our way to 12 years straight of a Democrat president unless Hillary gets assassinated, and the wealthy establishment of the GOP is openly supporting the opposing party as long as it means not having Trump as their leader. American society in general has been on a leftward trend and the GOP has been steadily falling behind. There may be some areas that are so red that they just don't change for ages, but overall the GOP's plan to appeal to racist right-wing fringe movements for power has backfired spectacularly.

The party has already started beating itself up over the controversial decision to nominate Trump. A loss in the general election is only going to kill them more.

• Locked thread