Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The fact that the Bioshock remake gets really loving crashy right at the end. loving hell.

E: The fact that there are games released that crash at all is a black mark against the entire loving games industry, in my opinion. Better than locking the system up but still, games should not be considered releasable if they can just fuckin' die. I give some physics-based things a pass because, you know, they're impossible to test in full, but for something as limited in scope as Bioshock that should not be a possibility.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

muscles like this? posted:

I've been playing the rerelease of RE4 and its kind of annoying how the game has the guy who will sell you anything, except ammo. Obviously it wouldn't be the ideal way to do it but it would be nice for those times when you're completely out or want specific ammo.

When you upgrade your ammo capacity he gives you a full magazine, but yeah it's an annoyance.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The trick to saving ammo in RE4 is shooting chumps in the knees then kicking them in the face.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You should do that anyway, the suplex is fuckin' cool as hell and you get i-frames while you do any of those attacks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Playing Wonderful 101, and it's a really great game even if I'm constantly getting bronze ranks or consolations on everything part chapter 1 (which even having watched an LP was still a total blast to play through), but one pretty lame thing is how sometimes it feels obtuse. Not the basic gameplay, that's great, but doing something like the minigame sections feels unfair to get graded on when most other games would have a "okay, this is how to do X in the tutorial before we get real".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also in some of the more set up shop areas you can see that the guy has ammo sitting around.

Came across something legitimately terrible in the RE4 re-release yesterday, the part where you climb up a clock tower and have to activate the mechanism inside, once you do get it running the bridge swings from one side of the tower to another. They used a video for this and for some reason they didn't/couldn't re-encode it for the new release so it's a blurry low bitrate mess.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Also in some of the more set up shop areas you can see that the guy has ammo sitting around.

Came across something legitimately terrible in the RE4 re-release yesterday, the part where you climb up a clock tower and have to activate the mechanism inside, once you do get it running the bridge swings from one side of the tower to another. They used a video for this and for some reason they didn't/couldn't re-encode it for the new release so it's a blurry low bitrate mess.

Ah I loving hate those.

Often if they even manage to recode a higher quality video they'll still have it run at 30fps which is also jarring as gently caress.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Witcher 3 is in many ways a well made game, but something I've found very annoying crops up when you're travelling in a boat. Namely, you can't stand up and defend yourself or your boat until it comes to a complete stop. So if something grabs your boat and starts tearing it apart (and every buried treasure or smugglers cash has a host of sirens or drowners around it to do just that) you will lose a piece of your ship before Geralt will stand up and draw his sword.

Being on a boat also locks you into a slow walk. The boats aren't long, but it's still annoying to be unable to jog from one end of the boat to another when you're constantly getting in and out of the boat to do things.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Lotish posted:

Witcher 3 is in many ways a well made game, but something I've found very annoying crops up when you're travelling in a boat. Namely, you can't stand up and defend yourself or your boat until it comes to a complete stop. So if something grabs your boat and starts tearing it apart (and every buried treasure or smugglers cash has a host of sirens or drowners around it to do just that) you will lose a piece of your ship before Geralt will stand up and draw his sword.

If a monster clings to your boat you can one shot them with the crossbow while controlling the ship.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The water is what drags Witcher 3 down in general.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pingiivi posted:

If a monster clings to your boat you can one shot them with the crossbow while controlling the ship.

goddammit.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Lotish posted:

goddammit.

It feels like this is common, because a lot of people I know who played the game hated boats as well.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
During the last few chapters with the super long boat rides, I spent the entire time clicking off the crossbow out of boredom.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Pingiivi posted:

I like Witcher 3 quite a bit but I think the devs ran out of ideas when it came to navigating water. At least it's not hard when your crossbow can oneshot everything even if they're way beyond your level.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
When I first put Witcher 3 on and saw that they had pretty deep seas I was so afraid they were going to do giant underwater monsters and poo poo. I'm relieved they didn't but also disappointed.

The thing getting to me mostly about it is trying to open things underwater, it's so fiddly to get the right distance without Geralt rubbing his entire being against them

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Underwater activities suck in literally every game they've ever been in.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
All video games should just put a big carnivorous fish in the water and say "This is why you can't do anything there, now gently caress off" and stop bothering with underwater places. Mostly because I've been traumatized by that in older games and now expect it to always happen.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I fell into one of Vivec's canals and got attacked by a slaughterfish. I had no idea how to get out and was just frantically flailing around while getting chomped to death. It haunts me to this day.

Before I put Skyrim down for the first time I decided to install a bunch of random mods from the workshop and see how long the game lasted before crashing (like 5 or 10 minutes). I have no idea if I ever uninstalled them and no real way to know what is improving my game and what I grabbed for a lark now. I'm running upwards of 70 mods and I've had maybe 8-10 crashes in 3 hours of play time. The game is actually fun though.

From a google it looks like Bethesda has only mastered the art of separate save profiles with Fallout 4? I'm honestly amazed they finally implemented it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
loving chibi anything. I want to enjoy this game, but I can't pretend that this hypersexualized two year-old looking character is anything but a hypersexualized two year-old.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

credburn posted:

loving chibi anything. I want to enjoy this game, but I can't pretend that this hypersexualized two year-old looking character is anything but a hypersexualized two year-old.
Well stop loving them then :downsrim:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Even ignoring the exaggeration, that's, uh, not what chibi means. At all.

E: But seriously, there are plenty of games that don't do that, even Japanese ones. Just stop playing Star Ocean 4/Hyperdimension Neptunia/whatever

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 12:07 on Sep 27, 2016

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah dude. Bubble Bobble is chibi. Kirby is chibi. Wind Waker is chibi. Gross pedo poo poo resides firmly at the moe end of the hyper-stylized anime spectrum.

Well at least RE4 had the excuse that it was an older game's re-release. Deus Ex: Human Revolution had that on every platform, on launch. You'd be having nice in-engine shenanigans happening, and then a pre-rendered cutscene would start and all you could think about was Hank Hill and JPEGs.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Travelling in or on water seems to always be bad unless the game is built around it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Leal posted:

All video games should just put a big carnivorous fish in the water and say "This is why you can't do anything there, now gently caress off" and stop bothering with underwater places. Mostly because I've been traumatized by that in older games and now expect it to always happen.

I loved that Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door did this, by having you get attacked by a robot piranha whenever you fell in. In every body of water. Even the ones it didn't make sense for, like swimming pools.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Oh -- I apologize for my ignorance. I didn't realize chibi had a broader definition. I love Bubble Bobble. I'll throw down over Bubble Bobble.

Anyway, what bothers me isn't just the creepy pedo chibi. It bothers me when they're supposed to be adults or maybe just older children but with their fat heads and huge eyes and fat arms and fat legs and squat bodies they look like babies. And then they're given stiletto heels and a two-piece leather outfit and it goes from being obnoxious to very uncomfortable.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cleretic posted:

I loved that Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door did this, by having you get attacked by a robot piranha whenever you fell in. In every body of water. Even the ones it didn't make sense for, like swimming pools.

Psychonauts, where your family carries an ancient gypsy curse to always die in water and disembodied aquatic hands reach out at you whenever you get close to a body of water.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Guy Mann posted:

Psychonauts, where your family carries an ancient gypsy curse to always die in water and disembodied aquatic hands reach out at you whenever you get close to a body of water.

Even fake water, like crayon-drawn pictures of water :allears:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I bought The Witcher like a year after it was first released and tried it several times but I could never get into it. I tried it again recently and I'm further now than I've ever been but thinking about it critically I can think of several things I don't like about it.

First, the menu system is a pain in the rear end. I have my computer hooked up to a TV. I've been using a TV as my computer monitor for almost 10 years now. My vision is fine, I don't wear glasses and I don't need glasses, but it is really hard to read the text in the menu when I'm like 15 feet from the TV which shouldn't be too far away to read anything on a TV. If the font was like 1-2 sizes larger it would probably be fine. The same thing happens in Elder Scrolls 3 and it makes it unplayable on a TV. Also activating or reading objects seems to move the cursor to a default position which is annoying because if I have several things to activate I need to keep lifting the mouse or it will fall off the table because I need to keep moving it down from the middle of the screen.

The second thing is the quest log. There are like 10 tabs in the middle of the quest log that sort the log by all quests, completed quests, and quests by chapter. That's fine except I need to hover the cursor over the options because from 15 feet away all the icons look the same. Sometimes quest tracking points me to empty buildings and time passes so slowly that I need to run to a fireplace to meditate and advance the clock. Certain events happen at specific times and without a guide there's no way to know when certain things will happen because standing in one place for like 45 minutes waiting for time to pass seems boring to me. There are quests that involve bar fighting and dice poker and the quest log doesn't point me towards new opponents.

The inventory is too small. I get the feeling from all the potions and things I can make that witchers are supposed to be deliberate and prepared for situations but I'm used to carrying a bunch of junk in my inventory so I can do multiple quests at once before returning to base or whatever. Also there are alchemical ingredients worth a lot more money than leaves and flowers which clog a completely different part of the inventory that I would rather sell than use to make White Gull or whatever, but the potion crafting menu doesn't distinguish these items and I have to switch things out manually which is a pain in my rear end because of the font size.

Travel times are too long, and loading screens aren't the issue. The places I can go where quests are active are just too large to navigate in a timely manner. There is no fast travel that I can see and Geralt's run speed is too slow. It seems like I can run a bit faster if I wield my silver sword in the fast style but I can't do that in town during the daytime.

There are several statistics tied to weapon damage or combat effectiveness but I don't understand many if any of them. Damage on one hand is shown as a negative percentage modifier on some weapons but then on skills it shows as a positive number which might indicate some sort of base damage rather than a percentage. Different weapon styles do different types of damage, this I understand but it doesn't show how these damage types affect enemies. I can understand the word "bleed" for instance, but it doesn't indicate if this is a debuff or if it is a permanent effect. Combat itself is annoying in a lot of cases, especially when hostile mobs are surrounded by non-hostile NPCs. I don't use the pause function generally because as far as I can tell the combat is not turn based, it's timing based on the speed I click the mouse so I don't see how pausing would be effective, however I mistakenly click on NPCs next to hostile mobs and then the NPCs attack me.

The autosave function is difficult to understand and I think it uses a new save slot every time, so every 2 hours or so I go to save my game and the save screen has like 10 files on it when I'd prefer 3 or 4 maximum. I delete the oldest ones periodically but they reappear as the game autosaves in a counterintuitive fashion.

I understand CDProjektRed was a pretty small developer at the time and The Witcher was probably their most ambitious game at the time, and even though some parts of the game's story are really cheesy, I can forgive some of these things. For all I know they fixed some of these issues in the subsequent games. I feel like I should at least give the game a chance and get to the ending. I guess CDPR had a very small QA team or didn't utilize focus groups or something.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The first Witcher is absolutely dreadful and I have no idea why people remember it so fondly.

Or how CDP managed to improve so much for the second game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

poptart_fairy posted:

The first Witcher is absolutely dreadful and I have no idea why people remember it so fondly.

See, I remember really enjoying Witcher 1. But everyone I talk to slams it...and I seriously can't remember why. I have no idea why I remember it so well but no one else does - I feel that if I went to play it again after all these years, I'd probably go "Oh...yeah okay I see what they mean, this is terrible."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I loving loved the game at the time as well but looking back I'm struggling to remember why. It's awful.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The original Witcher is one of those games that has to "click" before you like it, and it clicks for different people at different times, one of those times being "never."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like Witcher 1's combat more than 2 and 3's to be honest.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Witcher 1 was a big PC release at the tail end of the mid-00s dry spell before almost every major game got a simultaneous release on consoles and PC, that got it a lot of goodwill. Also we had just reached the point where WRPGs were starting to come back in a big way so it was like the only recent fully 3D thing not by Bioware or Bethesda out there.

It's kind of like how Torchlight got a lot of praise because it was the one ARPG to come out in forever, but now that we have like half a dozen good ones it's a dull slog by comparison.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evilreaver posted:

Even fake water, like crayon-drawn pictures of water :allears:

IIRC, the curse was just the "always die by water" bit, and the hand is a manifestation of the protagonist's resulting fear of water through his psychic powers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Witcher 1 was a big PC release at the tail end of the mid-00s dry spell before almost every major game got a simultaneous release on consoles and PC, that got it a lot of goodwill. Also we had just reached the point where WRPGs were starting to come back in a big way so it was like the only recent fully 3D thing not by Bioware or Bethesda out there.

It's kind of like how Torchlight got a lot of praise because it was the one ARPG to come out in forever, but now that we have like half a dozen good ones it's a dull slog by comparison.

Yeah, a lot of it has to do with the context of its release. Another thing that helped was that CD Project released a huge enhanced edition patch with a shitload of new animations, character models, quests, bug fixes, and quality of life improvements entirely for free, which was pretty unheard of for the time (and still is).

It was fairly unique in that it had actual long-term consequences for various decisions with branching story paths, especially since those didn't just boil down to a bioware-style "good/evil" dichotomy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

It was all we had during the Great RPG Drought.

I still remember it fondly, which is why I'm never replaying it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MiddleOne posted:

Colonel, I've got Emma Emmerich here, we've managed to avoid drowning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MiddleOne posted:

I love all of Dino Crisis 2 except that part. That part is miserable.