Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Just rub it a lil bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I haven't updated iTunes in a year because I'm afraid they'll make it even more frustrating to use if not downright retarded. Looks like I made the right choice.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

triple sulk posted:

I just went to download some music on my 7 and put the back to my ear out of curiosity and heard the whine. I don't know if it's a big deal or not.

I'm still not sure if I want to try and swap up to a 7+ for the extra battery life and camera. Even if I did, stock aside, is it a pain in the rear end to switch models you paid for with IUP? I assume you just pay a difference if there is any. I still like the 6/7 size overall and every time I pick up a plus it still seems kind of obnoxious and I don't know if I'd get used to it.

The only thing I've noticed with having the 7+ is that it's not so easy to take in and out of your pocket. When I'm sitting down I have to either stand up and take it out or do this awkward lean back and pull it out that way. Other than that, I love how obnoxiously large it is, I spend so much time looking at the drat thing that I may as well have a bigger screen to do it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

89 posted:

Man, this Apple Store leather case looks and feels nice. But hot drat it's slippery. There a better case that has more grip? I'm not trying to break my screen.

Mine was super slippery when I got it, but after a week it's gotten a bit grippier. I expect given more time it'll feel better.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I've had nothing but problems with iOS 10 so far.

When I first tried to update my 6s I had to use iTunes as I wasn't getting the OTA option at all. I had various issues, apparently I haven't got the right permissions to download the os through iTunes (even after it spent 20 mins downloading it). Eventually I got it to download and it aborted the update 3 times before finally working.

I've been having battery issues since then, my phone is running down way faster than normal. I'm also getting random vibrations when locking the phone. So, I thought I'd update to 10.0.2, backup, then restore from the backup as I read this can help. However, I'm having the same issues as before: no option for OTA update and being unable to upgrade over iTunes. What gives?

I'm running Win7 and have opened iTunes with admin privileges so am not sure what else I can do.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Do people walk around with their hands constantly covered in bacon grease or something? My 6s was in the apple leather case, and I'm currently going caseless on my 7+, I wouldn't classify either as "slippery".

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I hate the iOS 10 notifications. The whole bubble thing and lack of feedback when tapping vs using 3D Touch is awful and a huge step back in usability imo

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
I sit in a pagoda, clad in a silk robe, and contemplate life. I watch hummingbirds preorder objects only to receive them after random yahoos who walk into an Apple store on their lunch break. I fart softly. This.........is Opposite World (roll credits)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rexim posted:

I sit in a pagoda, clad in a silk robe, and contemplate life. I watch hummingbirds preorder objects only to receive them after random yahoos who walk into an Apple store on their lunch break. I fart softly. This.........is Opposite World (roll credits)

:smug: preorders are for rubes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

:smug: preorders are for rubes

This applies to anything apart from concert/game tickets. Basically if you preorder for something that isn't a quantity/time-specific thing you're crazy imo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There's already a scratch on my 7 screen, presumably from falling off the couch onto the hardwood floor. :cry:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Good thing they lowered the price of apple care! (But made the screens scratch easier so they can get your x2 $25 replacement more commonly).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the intent is to not treat your $800 pocket computer like a frisbee or carry it around in a rock tumbler all day.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

I hate the iOS 10 notifications. The whole bubble thing and lack of feedback when tapping vs using 3D Touch is awful and a huge step back in usability imo

I liked being able to quickly flip it up outta the way. I'm on my 5S so now I have to physically touch the bubble-notification to push it away. Haven't had any 3D Touch experiences yet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Good thing they lowered the price of apple care! (But made the screens scratch easier so they can get your x2 $25 replacement more commonly).
What if you don't have AppleCare+?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i preorder to get into the club

i've music janitored using itunes for years on windows and it works just fine. sucks to be incompetent i guess.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

That is literally the first time I've ever heard someone say iTunes for Windows is "just fine"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

baram. posted:

i preorder to get into the club

i've music janitored using itunes for years on windows and it works just fine. sucks to be incompetent i guess.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Thinking of skipping AppleCare+ this go around after 2 generations of iPhones with no real problems outside of stuff that was found during the first year of ownership. Does anyone know if iPhones purchased with a Mastercard with extended warranty works with device payment plan phones (in my case, Verizon's, because of their really good trade in deal)?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Josh Lyman posted:

What if you don't have AppleCare+?

Then you better not scratch unless you know someone else who can fix it for $25.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LODGE NORTH posted:

That is literally the first time I've ever heard someone say iTunes for Windows is "just fine"

I have precisely zero problems with it.

But then, I use it only as a PC music player, not in any way to manage my iPhone, because lol

Actually I take that back, I did have one problem in that iTunes Home Sharing would just flake out pretty often when I wanted to access my library over my ATV. Fortunately, I can just access my iCloud Music Library instead, so I just do that now.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah this isn't 2011, iTunes works just fine. It's become akin to the whole Vista sucks jokes.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Lblitzer posted:

Yeah this isn't 2011, iTunes works just fine. It's become akin to the whole Vista sucks jokes.

No it doesn't

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Night crew iPhone thread at it again!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Bum the Sad posted:

No it doesn't

have you tried deleting and reinstalling because your current install of itunes is obviously hosed up

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

baram. posted:

have you tried deleting and reinstalling because your current install of itunes is obviously hosed up

Yeah this is the second PC and third format it's happened on.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah this is the second PC and third format it's happened on.

That's your issue, you need OS X.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
iTunes is so bad I've resorted to using the google play music app so I can upload songs in chrome on my PC instead.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does Apple even support iTunes for Windows anymore?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I use Apple Music and it suits my needs.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Noticing very poor voice performance on calls with the 7+. It's to the point where we're using our land line more because people can't understand us on our 7+'s, any suggestions or tweaks or is this a design issue? I can't see how both my wife and I would have gotten a bad phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I use Apple Music and it suits my needs.

Same, OP

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do you guys use/like visual voice mail? I never had it but am considering it since I screen all my calls like no doubt gwen stefani leave a message and I'll call you back

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Housh posted:

Do you guys use/like visual voice mail? I never had it but am considering it since I screen all my calls like no doubt gwen stefani leave a message and I'll call you back

It works fine - me, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It works fine - me, 2006

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Visual Voicemail was cool like 4 years ago when people still made phone calls and left voicemails.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
There are still a tonne of carriers over here that still don't have Visual Voicemail so it was quite a novelty when I switched carrier a few months back

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I've had 3 iPhones and just heard of it now when I got the 7....I don't know what to say. Canada carrier thing?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I'm on a iPhone 6 and just upgraded to iOS 10 and can't seem to find a way to mark emails read in the notification pane anymore. I used to be able to swipe right on each item and there would be an option for mark as read. Now I just get View and Clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Casu Marzu posted:

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I'm on a iPhone 6 and just upgraded to iOS 10 and can't seem to find a way to mark emails read in the notification pane anymore. I used to be able to swipe right on each item and there would be an option for mark as read. Now I just get View and Clear.

Believe you have to press the View button to get more actions. That's what I've been doing with text messages and reminders.