Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My old chaplain HATES when people say Aquinas was super heavy. He's convinced it's some kind of anti-Catholic rumor that stuck.
what does he have against fat philosophers? that says more about him than it does about good old thomas A who (I hope) was comfortable with himself whatever he looked like

god also came for the hamplanets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Man Whore posted:

Ohio unfortunately. There is a joke somewhere about the only southern baptists in the thread being from what is considered to be two of the shittiest states.
do you think you'd want to do...whatever Evangelicals do when they go to church...with Cythreal over the internet? He's been having a lot of problems finding a church with people his own age in it, who aren't a hellscape of rightwingers

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Pictured: Thomas Aquinas, thin as a rail

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

System Metternich posted:

Pictured: Thomas Aquinas, thin as a rail

The Protestant propaganda is coming from inside the thread :tinfoil:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Tias posted:

Just chiming in to say that drinking yourself to sleep is very unhealthy, and definitely not a good way to get anything but a false connection to the divine.

Getting clean and sober is what got me to feel and understand God in the first place, and if you think faith is wonderful drunk, try it without the juice :)

Hence why I said I was lucky if I could do it! I definitely don't drink more than once a week.

Though I certainly do appreciate the concern.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My old chaplain HATES when people say Aquinas was super heavy. He's convinced it's some kind of anti-Catholic rumor that stuck.

He had to cut a semi circle out of his desk so he could sit at it. Aquinas was super goony.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
he and luther are eating cheetos and discussing theology (and the proper robe / professor cap choices for gentlemen of gravity) in a better place, now

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Worthleast posted:

He had to cut a semi circle out of his desk so he could sit at it. Aquinas was super goony.

You should have seen his face when I mentioned the Aquinas Table. :lol:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

you're not a real christian unless you speak fluent galilean aramaic

http://www.thenazareneway.com/lords_prayer.htm

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

System Metternich posted:

I don't know about Luther not being venerated, I definitely know about some movements within the Lutheran Church of Germany where he is the next best thing to a saint, complete with St Martin's Day being changed into Martin-Luther-Day in some parts. This reached its peak in the 19th century, but is in some places still very much alive (just a couple of days ago I read in an article about that very topic how American Lutherans come to Eisleben to kiss Luther's baptismal font)

In my experience Lutherans do not treat Luther like a saint, or "close" to a saint. I'm not an expert on saint-stuff but he is not associated with any of the checkmarks I know of, such as: he wasn't a martyr, he didn't do any miracles, he isn't considered particularly moral or pious. The closest thing to supernatural I've ever heard about him is the story that he was struck by lightning and survived; Luther himself took this to be significant, but when I was young this was never presented to me as divine intervention or as something that marked him as special, rather it was just treated as an anecdote about his life story and his development as a person.

I've been sitting here for like ten minutes trying to think about how Lutherans actually do consider Luther's relation to anything divine, and I haven't had any trains of thought that went anywhere I was happy with. Another thing that is bugging me a little bit is that I'm curious if (part of) the premise of your comparison is based on saming Lutheran thought with more Catholic/Orthodox thought. Perhaps I will think of something later, or someone else can help me out here. (also I bet my one religion professor would be super proud of me using the critical-theory verb "same" here)

Finally, I'm pretty sure that nobody is changing St. Martin's Day into "Martin Luther Day". The moment I read this in your post, I guessed that St. Martin's day was in October or November, and I was right. Why did I guess this? Because that's around when Reformation Day is, of course. In the churches I grew up in, it was celebrated on a Sunday during late October or early November, but Wikipedia claims that some churches have done it on St. Martin's Day. However I don't think I have ever heard of it being officially related to or replacing anything with regard to St. Martin. I mostly remember it just being the one Sunday a year when maybe the confirmands would put on a little play about Luther, or the sermon would have some bits about the Reformation worked into it. And I'm stretching my memory, but I think sometimes the vestments are red on this day, instead of the typical Pentecost-season green.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

In my experience Lutherans do not treat Luther like a saint, or "close" to a saint. I'm not an expert on saint-stuff but he is not associated with any of the checkmarks I know of, such as: he wasn't a martyr, he didn't do any miracles, he isn't considered particularly moral or pious. The closest thing to supernatural I've ever heard about him is the story that he was struck by lightning and survived; Luther himself took this to be significant, but when I was young this was never presented to me as divine intervention or as something that marked him as special, rather it was just treated as an anecdote about his life story and his development as a person.

I've been sitting here for like ten minutes trying to think about how Lutherans actually do consider Luther's relation to anything divine, and I haven't had any trains of thought that went anywhere I was happy with. Another thing that is bugging me a little bit is that I'm curious if (part of) the premise of your comparison is based on saming Lutheran thought with more Catholic/Orthodox thought. Perhaps I will think of something later, or someone else can help me out here. (also I bet my one religion professor would be super proud of me using the critical-theory verb "same" here)

Finally, I'm pretty sure that nobody is changing St. Martin's Day into "Martin Luther Day". The moment I read this in your post, I guessed that St. Martin's day was in October or November, and I was right. Why did I guess this? Because that's around when Reformation Day is, of course. In the churches I grew up in, it was celebrated on a Sunday during late October or early November, but Wikipedia claims that some churches have done it on St. Martin's Day. However I don't think I have ever heard of it being officially related to or replacing anything with regard to St. Martin. I mostly remember it just being the one Sunday a year when maybe the confirmands would put on a little play about Luther, or the sermon would have some bits about the Reformation worked into it. And I'm stretching my memory, but I think sometimes the vestments are red on this day, instead of the typical Pentecost-season green.

Luther literally threw his ink bottle at the devil, every child in Germany knows this :v: you can look at the ink spot left on the wall in the Wartburg Castle if you want

re: Martin Luther Day, I looked it up: in some regions of northern Germany the old customs and traditions of St Martin's Day were shortened or replaced wholesale by carol singing in which the songs praise Luther as a "friend of light and pious man" (Lichtfreund und Glaubensmann) who "tore down the crown from the Pope's head". In some cases traditional songs of St Martin were simply changed a bit into Martin Luther songs instead.

I'm not talking about the official position of the various Lutheran Churches, mind. What I mean instead is the Luther memory as it developed mainly in the 19th century and is still alive in some corners of the Lutheran Church in Germany - as I can't speak for the rest of the world, of course. This attitude towards Luther ranged from hero worship to almost outright veneration, complete with supernatural legends like the one with the ink bottle. The Castle church of Wittenberg contains some 19th century paintings which put Luther in an implied genealogical relation to the House of Hohenzollern, for example.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
All of this talk on Aquinus' alleged corpulence made me curious, and I discovered a passage where Chesterton compares him to Count Fosco, were that character turned suddenly to saintliness! :eek:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CountFosco posted:

All of this talk on Aquinus' alleged corpulence made me curious, and I discovered a passage where Chesterton compares him to Count Fosco, were that character turned suddenly to saintliness! :eek:
Was Aquinas a reformed creeper on women? I thought that was Augustine.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
augustine and his girlfriend lived a loving relationship together, he was not a creep

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

pray for me everyone, i applied for a really really good job at a lutheran church

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

pray for me everyone, i applied for a really really good job at a lutheran church
on it

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Was Aquinas a reformed creeper on women? I thought that was Augustine.

I'm pretty sure his family paid a sex worker to gently caress him so he wouldn't join the Dominicans, and either beat the poo poo out of her or converted her into being not a sex worker depending on who you ask

So... maybe?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ok so we can all agree martin luther is in heaven

does martin luther do intercessory prayer?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Deep in the Protestant Headquarters, the Head Protestant sits on a plastic stool, wearing ugly polyester vestments. Cringing Lackey approaches.

Cringing Lackey: Your Reformedness, I have bad news. The Catholics are growing ever stronger. How will we ever convince people to stop doing good works, as is the cornerstone of our belief system.
Head Protestant: Don't worry, I have a plan that will strike a the heart of the Papists. I'll tell people that the famous Roman Catholic Thomas Aquinas, who as everyone knows we Protestants hate and fear for his orthodox theology, was all fat and gross.
CL: But Your Supreme Anti-Liturgicalness, it is well known that Aquinas was super buff and swole.
HP: It is true that he was super buff and swole, and also ripped, but we'll tell people he was a fat nerd. Because, and I really can't stress this enough, all Protestants hate Aquinas for some reason.
CL: Brilliant your Iconoclasticness. I'll put the plan into action right away.
HP: Good. Now leave me. I must put a condom on my penis before I have sex with my wife.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:five:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr Enderby posted:

Deep in the Protestant Headquarters, the Head Protestant sits on a plastic stool, wearing ugly polyester vestments. Cringing Lackey approaches.

Cringing Lackey: Your Reformedness, I have bad news. The Catholics are growing ever stronger. How will we ever convince people to stop doing good works, as is the cornerstone of our belief system.
Head Protestant: Don't worry, I have a plan that will strike a the heart of the Papists. I'll tell people that the famous Roman Catholic Thomas Aquinas, who as everyone knows we Protestants hate and fear for his orthodox theology, was all fat and gross.
CL: But Your Supreme Anti-Liturgicalness, it is well known that Aquinas was super buff and swole.
HP: It is true that he was super buff and swole, and also ripped, but we'll tell people he was a fat nerd. Because, and I really can't stress this enough, all Protestants hate Aquinas for some reason.
HP: Good. Now leave me. I must put a condom on my penis before I have sex with my wife.

Someone needs to draw a Catholic Chick tract about this.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

does martin luther do intercessory prayer?

no, but every time someone shitposts at a Papist, Martin Luther raises his beer stein and nods his chins approvingly

in Lutheran theology all Christians living and dead are saints and praying for the Christian Church as a whole, it is ok to contemplate and imitate their lives to strengthen our faith but they are not intercessors

e:

Martin Luther posted:

"When I die, I want to be a ghost...So I can continue to pester the bishops, priests and godless monks until that they have more trouble with a dead Luther than they could have had before with a thousand living ones."

oh, buddy, your ghost has certainly stirred up a lot of poo poo that's true

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 28, 2016

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

no, but every time someone shitposts at a Papist, Martin Luther raises his beer stein and nods his chins approvingly

in Lutheran theology all Christians living and dead are saints and praying for the Christian Church as a whole, it is ok to contemplate and imitate their lives to strengthen our faith but they are not intercessors

so perpetua is perpetually praying

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
someone needs to show Martin Luther how to set up a Ghost Twitter account

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Mr Enderby posted:

HEY GAL posted:

do you think you'd want to do...whatever Evangelicals do when they go to church...with Cythreal over the internet? He's been having a lot of problems finding a church with people his own age in it, who aren't a hellscape of rightwingers
How would that work? is there some kind of preacher streaming site that streams sermons and we can just talk about cool baptist things? I would do it but I have to admit that I don't know the first thing about Jesus other than half remembered bible school stuff.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 28, 2016

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Mr Enderby posted:

Very Monty Python! (Good Monty Python)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

rap music posted:

you're not a real christian unless you speak fluent galilean aramaic

http://www.thenazareneway.com/lords_prayer.htm

quote:

Our Father-Mother Who art above and within: Hallowed be Thy Name in twofold Trinity.

...twofold Trinity? Either this is the weirdest variation on Patripassionism ever, in which case someone needs to point out that 'Trinity' involves 'three', or there's six Persons in the dual Godhead? (Or are there five, with one Spirit breathed by... one or more of the other four?)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man Whore posted:

How would that work? is there some kind of preacher streaming site that streams sermons and we can just talk about cool baptist things? I would do it but I have to admit that I don't know the first thing about Jesus other than half remembered bible school stuff.

you know i think some congregations are on skype, and some streaming service (not twitch, unless padre mains mercy i suppose). like back when i e-mailed robert shore-goss like "oh no i like dudes and i wanted to be a catholic priest what do i do" he sent me a link to archives of sermons from his congregation (then metropolitan community church) and a link to where streamed weekly services.

i'm sure they have something like that for even more evangelical forms of christianity (mcc was started by a pentecostal and while robert shore-goss, former jesuit, had a more catholic inspired service a lot of congregants apparently have issues with more liturgical worship styles)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
robert shore-goss also said he'd be willing to "apprentice" me so to speak, doing whatever it is you do to make someone a priest and teaching me the ropes of being a minister

then a week later i saw him post on lady gaga's facebook that he'd do the same for her, and it kind of lost the impact a bit tbh

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Pellisworth posted:

someone needs to show Martin Luther how to set up a Ghost Twitter account

oh lol should i do this

e: too late

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 28, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

oh lol should i do this

I mean I don't use Twitter but it would be a pretty good gimmick, you just gotta paraphrase Lutheran Insulter quotes into 140 characters :v:

e: For maximum authenticity make sure to use echo parentheses to identify (((globalists))) and (((Papists)))

RIP Martin Luther Twitter account, banned for tweeting at the Pope calling him a "fart-rear end" and the antichrist

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 28, 2016

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

zonohedron posted:

...twofold Trinity? Either this is the weirdest variation on Patripassionism ever, in which case someone needs to point out that 'Trinity' involves 'three', or there's six Persons in the dual Godhead? (Or are there five, with one Spirit breathed by... one or more of the other four?)

Yeah I remember reading an article about these guys. It's fair to say scholarship isn't their strong suit.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Mr Enderby posted:

:swoon:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Yeah I remember reading an article about these guys. It's fair to say scholarship isn't their strong suit.

When the fantasy religion in the Curse of Chalion is more consistent and well-written than someone's Gnostic fantasies... :ughh:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

zonohedron posted:

don't ask me ask jesus he's the one that said it

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

zonohedron posted:

Maybe the two fold trinity means the trinity above and the trinity below, or within. After all we are made in His image so perhaps this trinity is in heaven as it is in us.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Christianity Thread II: To the Trinity and beyond.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Omnidimensional googleplex trinitrinity.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

all i know is i have the most trinities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

rap music posted:

all i know is i have the most trinities

What if I have a copy of Blade 3: Trinity, does that mean I have 9 trinities?

• Locked thread