Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm almost positive Franklin shows up more often than any actual non-white supporting characters. Maybe Marta or Ice, but they both disappeared once their initial arcs were over.

Do we count all three (four?) actresses who played Marta? She was like Arrested Development's Ziyal. There it at least made sense because the character was a soap opera actress. I think that was the intended meta-joke, but I can't confirm that they did that on purpose.

Edit: mentioning Ziyal is my flimsy way to keep things on-topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Railing Kill posted:

Do we count all three (four?) actresses who played Marta? She was like Arrested Development's Ziyal. There it at least made sense because the character was a soap opera actress. I think that was the intended meta-joke, but I can't confirm that they did that on purpose.

Edit: mentioning Ziyal is my flimsy way to keep things on-topic.

Did they think that under the Cardie makeup no one would notice? It's pretty jarring. I know sometimes actors just aren't available, but I'd rather they just write around it than bring in different actors.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Baronjutter posted:

Did they think that under the Cardie makeup no one would notice? It's pretty jarring. I know sometimes actors just aren't available, but I'd rather they just write around it than bring in different actors.

Honestly, I didn't notice when it originally aired. It was years between her appearances. Syndication made for a very different TV environment.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Star Trek Voyager somehow manages to be one of the whitest shows ever when half of its cast isn't even white. It does however have a white guy pretending to be an Indian and going on embarrassing vision quests and some poo poo, so I think that's pretty fuckin' white

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
At least ITT Mexicans are white. :shrug:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Now I'm just wondering how well Arrested Development quotes would go with Trek.

Lore: Heyyyyyyy brother.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nerdman42 posted:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Star Trek Voyager somehow manages to be one of the whitest shows ever when half of its cast isn't even white. It does however have a white guy pretending to be an Indian and going on embarrassing vision quests and some poo poo, so I think that's pretty fuckin' white

Being 1% cherokee is whiter that 0%.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Voyager isn't white because of its cast, it's white because it's the most boring, bland, wallpaper paste version of Star Trek. It even took a character who should have been interesting (Chakotay) and turned him into a 1950's Indian stereotype, complete with made-up words (a cuchi moya!) and generic "vision quests". If they'd slipped in a headdress and "peace pipes", he'd have been the most comprehensive stereotype in a franchise full of them. That's why Voyager's white as hell.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Gammatron 64 posted:

Robert Beltran is 1st generation Mexican-American.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Some Photoshop hero needs to change the banner to read, "crew love Picard."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Lights of Zetar" thoughts: Way too many mentions of "the girl," but a neat concept, a couple cool animations and effects, and holy poo poo did Mira's actress nail her body language then the aliens were speaking! No blinking, no eyebrow twitches, nothing!

Edit: Also got a serious Metroid vibe from some of the music.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 27, 2016

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Don't talk poo poo about friends

Man, i'm watching DS9 and Voyager for the first time, in the broadcast order, and it's amazing how big the difference in quality is between them, even more from season 4 of DS9 and beyond. Parturition and The Visitor aired on the same day :psyduck:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 27, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

armoredgorilla posted:

Robert Beltran is 1st generation Mexican-American.

Well, I didn't know that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Somebody over in the milhist thread managed to explain naval rankings to me.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Seriously? But in the first book, they don't describe Aubery as a Captian - they use the term Master and Commander.

Trin Tragula posted:

He would have been entitled by tradition to be called "Captain", but his actual rank was "Master and Commander", which has now been shortened to just "Commander"; the rank above it is "Captain", sometimes styled as "post-captain" to avoid confusion, but you'd never call someone a "post-captain" unless you needed clarification or you were trying to insult them.

edit: there's also something called a "lieutenant commanding" or similar (no prizes for guessing what they're called today), which is someone with the rank of Lieutenant who's in charge of a ship and therefore also gets "Captain" as a courtesy; the famous Captain Bligh of the Bounty was by rank a lieutenant, by position a lieutenant in command, and only by tradition a captain

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That will always be my favorite aborted storyline from any tv show.

At least Chuck Tingle comes by it honestly

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

Data Graham posted:

At least Chuck Tingle comes by it honestly

Pounded In the Butt By My Own Starship, the NCC-1769 Pounded In the Butt By My Own Starship

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nebakenezzer posted:

Somebody over in the milhist thread managed to explain naval rankings to me.

Anyone who is in command of a ship can be called Captain.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Frionnel posted:

Don't talk poo poo about friends

Man, i'm watching DS9 and Voyager for the first time, in the broadcast order, and it's amazing how big the difference in quality is between them, even more from season 4 of DS9 and beyond. Parturition and The Visitor aired on the same day :psyduck:

Not like you weren't warned friend. It only gets better/worse, respectively.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder what it'd be like being a Star Trek fan in the 90s, when the franchise was at it's peak.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WickedHate posted:

I wonder what it'd be like being a Star Trek fan in the 90s, when the franchise was at it's peak.

As a kid it was fantastic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Watching Star Trek every week with my dad and sisters was awesome.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

nerdman42 posted:

\
I don’t want no part of yo’ tired rear end country club, ya freak bitch!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

It'd be easier for everyone if they changed the rank name to something else and made it a positional title.

I vote Captanant.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

WickedHate posted:

It was fantastic. The only thing missing was an easy way to watch TOS.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

sunday at work posted:

It was fantastic. The only thing missing was an easy way to watch TOS.

My dad used to tape every TOS and TNG rerun, so I had this covered.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I started watching TNG around season 3 and it rocked. I seriously miss the terrible local commercials for it too.

We didn't get UPN growing up but CBS would show Voyager at 12 midnight on Sunday right after MASH which was cool as crap. They'd play other UPN shows in that block too.

My brother and I would stay up late (on a Sunday was a big deal because of school the next day obviously) and the second we'd here the MASH credit music we'd get pumped.

VVV it actually got me watching MASH and yeah it owned

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 28, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah MASH is a really great show.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

It'd be easier for everyone if they changed the rank name to something else and made it a positional title.

I vote Captanant.
I say commander, then rename the current commander sub-commander. Then make ensigns centurions and give them giant helmets and everything gets awesome.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Forget Arrested Development and edit the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme into this scene instead. No quotes required.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't decide whether Riker or Worf is the Gob. Obviously Data is Buster and Picard and Crusher are George and Lucille.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

George Sr - Picard
Lucille - Crusher
Gob - Riker
Michael - Geordi
Lindsay - Troi
Buster - Data
Tobias - Worf
George Michael - Wesley
Maebe - Guinan

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Switch Lucille and George Sr.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I don't care for Wesley.
______________\

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Yep, this is true in just about any navy, even the US navy currently. Like you can be a Commander in rank, but the the Captain of a sub or something.

Basically there's a rank structure which goes Lt, Lt Commander, Commander, Captain, Commodore, Admiral.

But there's a title of Captain given to the leader of the ship.

So all ship's commanding officers are Captains, but not of them are Captains in rank. And not all Captains in rank are the commander of a ship, as that's a rank equivalent to Colonel and you can be a paper pusher in HQ and be a Captain without a ship.

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

who is oscar in all of this?

...Q?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Klungar posted:

George Sr - Picard
Lucille - Crusher