Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

Jesus, this is sooo scummy! "Other people steal so why make such a big deal?" They're basically pissing on the GPL and Creative Commons, which are legal licenses that can be upheld in court. In most cases the rights are retained by the creator but they allow distribution (a license) provided the modification of their software is under the same license. But I'm sure if you modified the Retron and redistributed it their lawyers would be knocking at your door the next day.

Epic offers their multi-million dollar game engine for free... and then they ask for a cut when you start earning income because that's how software loving works Hyperkin you goddamn hacks.

I mean the thing is they COULD have just gone for open source emulators that really would be ok to sell and package in their system the way they do. But they just choose not to, largely, it seems, because some of those aren't as good (although still perfectly fine).

It's not like some terrible burden here.

What i'd have preferred is if the RetroN team had instead continued their earlier work in building clone hardware, fixing incompatibilities and sound glitches. Rather than just giving up and running some partially illegal emulators.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Gennifer Flowers posted:

My wife loves the Retron 5.

maybe if she understood the intricacies of the creative commons license she would give up her evil ways

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ashens just posted a video of an unreleased PS2 game he found in a thrift shop. Pretty neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs7YAC8pG84

It's almost like someone decided to make Metal Slug a 3D platformer.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

wa27 posted:

Ashens just posted a video of an unreleased PS2 game he found in a thrift shop. Pretty neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs7YAC8pG84

It's almost like someone decided to make Metal Slug a 3D platformer.

Well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NFWOFZgwnk&t=429s

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

FireMrshlBill posted:

I preordered Pat Contri's Ultimate Guide to the NES Library book and it arrived today. So I will be flipping through that tonight while watching the douche bag and turd sandwich go at each other.

How is it? I pre-ordered one but it was later after the Kickstarter so I have no idea when it'll come. Quality is good? Great color on pages?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Monitor Burn posted:

There's a lot of terrible cheap "S-Video" cables on Ebay that are just unshielded composite cables with S-video plugs.

I recommend these cables. They are actually properly wired and shielded, and don't cost $$$ like monster cables: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131782319627?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'll second these. I own three of them and they rule.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Ineffiable posted:

How is it? I pre-ordered one but it was later after the Kickstarter so I have no idea when it'll come. Quality is good? Great color on pages?

It seems good so far from the little that I skimmed through it. Good quality pages, the color seems decent, not overly vibrant. It's laid out as 2 reviews per page in 2 columns. At the top they have a picture of the cart and a box with the title, year, developer and star rating. Then a description of the game below that, and then a blurb from a reviewer or two (either Pat, Ian or someone else who may have a special connection to the game) that gives a personal opinion, anecdote or other note on the game.

It's neat, definitely a coffee table book, not too in depth or anything. Though I think there is some other stuff in there besides the reviews, but I didn't get around to that yet.

I ordered mine after the kickstarter too, so you may get yours soon. It's really heavy so they shipped via media mail.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 27, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cool that's great. I know it wasn't gonna be anything more in depth than a quick overview but it's pretty much the entire nes library right? Just a great coffee table book on nes games where you can flip it open and maybe find an interesting game is all I wanted.

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

The Milkman posted:

There's the RetroFreak, which is the one I've had my eye on. Maybe for Christmas :unsmith:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-cyber-gadget-retro-freak-review
I got this one, setup is dirt easy (haven't updated the firmware though) and picture is pretty drat awesome. It detects and uses correctly even odd original hardware, like my "sega mega fire"-turbo controller.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I'd consider the Retro Freak if it weren't $200+

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Finally got around to finishing construction of The Monolith, to house my collection of Music Games (and collection of snakes). So far, I'm at a full set of PSX and PS2 games, and aiming to finish the DS and Wii next, since they have the 'best' ones. I'm two years into collecting now, and would definitely recommend aiming to collect a genre of games, rather than a system. It's fun to be able to chart the development of a genre, and see how certain trends and gameplay conventions took hold, and how every game seems to lead into the next.

As an added bonus, it's 90% Shovelware :neckbeard:

Tyma fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 28, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Kinda on topic, I built an Astro City cabinet!

It was just rather tiny.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Where did you get that? Perfect image for the screen!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Tyma posted:

Finally got around to finishing construction of The Monolith, to house my collection of Music Games (and collection of snakes). So far, I'm at a full set of PSX and PS2 games, and aiming to finish the DS and Wii next, since they have the 'best' ones. I'm two years into collecting now, and would definitely recommend aiming to collect a genre of games, rather than a system. It's fun to be able to chart the development of a genre, and see how certain trends and gameplay conventions took hold, and how every game seems to lead into the next.

Oh man, what a good idea, I should collect my favorite genre, SNES era RPGs! Oh wait... :suicide:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tyma posted:

It's okay, I'm 90% shovelware.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Anybody got a way for me to score a Core Grafx II Super CD ROM that works and doesn't cost me over $150? I've had a guy that's been pretty much ducking me since earlier this month and I'm getting really discouraged.

It shouldn't be this loving hard to play Cho Aniki on a legit system.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

beaver_cheese posted:

Where did you get that? Perfect image for the screen!

Here you go.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10389481

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Anybody got a way for me to score a Core Grafx II Super CD ROM that works and doesn't cost me over $150? I've had a guy that's been pretty much ducking me since earlier this month and I'm getting really discouraged.

It shouldn't be this loving hard to play Cho Aniki on a legit system.

PM sent.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Merkinman posted:

Well why don't NES carts still get produced? Do we need some movement to say those games are ~warmer~?

Seriously though, that's a simple point I didn't think of.

Also people aren't making NES systems anymore but a lot of people are still making famicoms.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I've started to get into the world of Game Boy Advance first-person shooters. The Ecks vs. Sever games are bizarrely competent, 007: Nightfire is a neat little Goldeneye demake, and while Dark Arena is the least technically impressive of them, it at least runs at a decent framerate.

Speaking of: is there any way to uncap the framerate in some of the laggier ones in emulators? It'd be really nice to play the EvS games at a decent framerate.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Tyma posted:

This post made me think of Pop'N Music for the Wii and how that is somehow the only music game to ever get a Liam Lynch song, far as I know. That bugs the hell out of me :argh:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Tyma posted:

Got a close up of the PS2 games? I think there's a couple I don't see...

e: Oh wait, I see they're double-layered.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 28, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That IIDX marquee is amazing, I need one for my home setup, maybe Happy Sky or Red since I cut my teeth on those.

I should open a new mortgage and go browsing on Yahoo Japan...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

In case this thread cares, I totally bought Kthulhu5000's IFU/CD-ROM and will be mining the gently caress out of the PCE-CD library in no time.

It's the final piece of the "things I actually want to play" puzzle I've been looking for, ever since these threads got me started with re-collecting.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I've started to get into the world of Game Boy Advance first-person shooters. The Ecks vs. Sever games are bizarrely competent

The Ecks vs Sever games are part of a rare breed. Licensed games that are better than their source material. It's like a bizarro version of every other licensed game. The only other one I can think of is Dino City for the SNES.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Caitlin posted:

It was just rather tiny.

thanks for the five minutes of brainfuck, until I figured it out

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

It was just rather tiny.

Sure, now you're in favor of building your own arcade cabinet. :v:

I love the fact that the model also comes with a tiny stool to put in front of it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I've started to get into the world of Game Boy Advance first-person shooters. The Ecks vs. Sever games are bizarrely competent, 007: Nightfire is a neat little Goldeneye demake, and while Dark Arena is the least technically impressive of them, it at least runs at a decent framerate.

Speaking of: is there any way to uncap the framerate in some of the laggier ones in emulators? It'd be really nice to play the EvS games at a decent framerate.

The only way I'm aware of in current emulators is to use "fast forward" modes that speed up the whole thing. And that probably would not be fun to play because then all the enemies move a lot faster.

Some older emulator versions accidentally implemented a way that would improve framerate because they didn't accurately emulate the size of RAM and speed of various components, so some games run smoother. But that requires certain quirks in the original game code and those emulator versions are less compatible with games.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Light Gun Man posted:

This post made me think of Pop'N Music for the Wii and how that is somehow the only music game to ever get a Liam Lynch song, far as I know. That bugs the hell out of me :argh:

It's probably also the only "E-rated" Wii game to feature multiple uses of the word "gently caress" :neckbeard:

Modus Pwnens posted:

Got a close up of the PS2 games? I think there's a couple I don't see...

I think I posted the list I was working with in the old thread, but I could try to dig it out.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Shameless plug, but I'm selling off my FDS plus games in SA-Mart!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792450

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Tyma posted:

It's probably also the only "E-rated" Wii game to feature multiple uses of the word "gently caress" :neckbeard:

That's pretty great. Didn't play it long enough to find that out!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

I want to get one of these and customize an Aquario of the Clockwork screenshot and marquee

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I know there's some Shield TV users in here and figured I'd post the results of my work this afternoon... USB XBox Elite support! Yay!

I love this controller and I hate the Shield controller. Anyways you need a rooted shield tv to set it up. This actually also fixes the hosed up 360 pad support too if that's a problem for you.

First install this kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/development/kernel-kernel-support-xbox-360-one-t3340300 to your respective Shield TV version
Then grab this file https://github.com/AryToNeX/Android-Custom-KeyLayouts/blob/master/Vendor_045e_Product_0289.kl and use adb to push it to /sdcard/.

Once you're in adb shell type su to gain root access and then these commands:
code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
cd /system/usr/keylayout
cp /sdcard/Vendor_045e_Product_0289.kl ./Vendor_045e_Product_02e3.kl
chmod 644 Vendor_045e_Product_02e3.kl
reboot
Now when you plug an Elite controller in it will work without issues over USB. If you have some other XBox One controller you want to use plug it in via USB into Windows, go into the driver details and obtain the product/vendor id. Swap out the 02e3 to the one on your controller in the cp command and it'll fix those.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 28, 2016

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Where's a good place to purchase a good quality PS2 slim pre-9XXX model? I don't trust ebay and it must ship internationally as I live on a lil island. Prefer NTSC-NA but others are okay.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Oh man, what a good idea, I should collect my favorite genre, SNES era RPGs! Oh wait... :suicide:

This is my brother, Except he collects RPGs from every console because he is insane and an idiot.
He is one of those people who will go reload if a character doesn't gain their max stats/HP/MP from a level up, even when it is irrelevant in the end due to the game having farm-able stat-up items.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

FillInTheBlank posted:

He is one of those people who will go reload if a character doesn't gain their max stats/HP/MP from a level up, even when it is irrelevant in the end due to the game having farm-able stat-up items.

tell ulillillia I said hello

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Hopefully the PS2 is considered "retro" enough for this thread! I looked and couldn't find any other threads related to it.

I'm looking for a recommended capture card for the PS2, either the composite or component cables; doesn't matter to me, I have both. I'm not interested in really recording video or anything, but I am interested in playing the PS2 on my PC in a window, as if it were any other program, and I'm under the impression that capture cards are the way to do that. There's a lot of options, and I can't tell what's crap because I have zero experience with this, so I figured I'd check and see if anyone had any suggestions.

I know that emulators are kinda the perfect thing for this, but I'm nothing if not nostalgic and would vastly prefer to play on the PS2 proper.

I also know that dongles like this exist which convert the PS2 straight to HDMI, but that would obviously take up the whole monitor and not allow me to use my PC on it, but that's what I'll just have to live with if I can't find a better option. Still a lot better than dragging around an old, heavy rear end TV.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Hopefully the PS2 is considered "retro" enough for this thread! I looked and couldn't find any other threads related to it.

I'm looking for a recommended capture card for the PS2, either the composite or component cables; doesn't matter to me, I have both. I'm not interested in really recording video or anything, but I am interested in playing the PS2 on my PC in a window, as if it were any other program, and I'm under the impression that capture cards are the way to do that. There's a lot of options, and I can't tell what's crap because I have zero experience with this, so I figured I'd check and see if anyone had any suggestions.

I know that emulators are kinda the perfect thing for this, but I'm nothing if not nostalgic and would vastly prefer to play on the PS2 proper.

I also know that dongles like this exist which convert the PS2 straight to HDMI, but that would obviously take up the whole monitor and not allow me to use my PC on it, but that's what I'll just have to live with if I can't find a better option. Still a lot better than dragging around an old, heavy rear end TV.

I haven't used capture cards in a long time, so they may have improved, but I remember them adding an amount of lag that would make playing non-chess games unbearable.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The one I kinda wanna get is the StarTech USB3HDCAP - which is a USB 3.0 dongle variant of Micomsoft's capture cards (in fact, you'll wanna use Micomsoft drivers instead of StarTech's, from what I've gathered), and supports 240p over component (I mean, of course it does, Micomsoft's the XRGB guys), meaning you can play PS1 games on your PS2 within a window on your PC, too.

For me, though, I'd probably want a laptop with a USB 3.0 port to use it with, since my work laptop doesn't have such a port, and my desktop (which does, though I think Windows 10 disabled the add-on card that let me add them) is in a separate room from my old consoles, and moving consoles back/forth sounds like a pain.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

RZA Encryption posted:

I haven't used capture cards in a long time, so they may have improved, but I remember them adding an amount of lag that would make playing non-chess games unbearable.

Yeah, that's what I read too; part of the reason why I was asking. I mostly play a lot of JRPGs so I guess input lag wouldn't hurt too badly, but on the occasion I play platformers or shooters too so that would be maddening.

Shadow Hog posted:

The one I kinda wanna get is the StarTech USB3HDCAP - which is a USB 3.0 dongle variant of Micomsoft's capture cards (in fact, you'll wanna use Micomsoft drivers instead of StarTech's, from what I've gathered), and supports 240p over component (I mean, of course it does, Micomsoft's the XRGB guys), meaning you can play PS1 games on your PS2 within a window on your PC, too.

:aaaaa:

Way out of my price range, oops. For that price I could just buy the component -> HDMI dongle and a separate monitor and still save money. Which, actually, probably isn't a bad idea now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

It's not really that bad, maybe four frames. Now that is enough of a lag that you probably don't want to show off a bullet hell shooter, but for recording most things for the Internet it's not going to kill you.

• Locked thread