Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008
So I'm getting back into costume related stuff by doing things I have either forgotten or never did before.

I'm looking to do a 40k basic Enginseer that I can eventually build up into a Magos.

I already have the robe and hood (I didn't sew it up, just bought a 'pagan ritual robe' to save on time.)

I'm looking to hem it in the traditional cog-teeth pattern like in this image, but with a teeth pattern that will actually mesh and be easier to sew.

The problem comes about with the material I've chosen to hem the cogs with. I wanted an industrial semi-mass manufactured look and to add weight so I picked out some signmaker's/upholstery vinyl scraps.

I suspect I'm going to have to sew them on but I'd like to hide the sewing so I'm open to better options. The robe is cotton so no superglue please :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Whitz posted:

A month late to the party but if you need any advice on Junkrat I'm happy to help. Debuted mine last month at Gamescom and was really happy with how it came out.

Holy crap this is amazing. I think I even posted some pictures of you in the OW chill thread.

I still haven't gone after anything because college is still kicking my rear end, so I still don't have any specific questions. I'm more curious to know where did you start from?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

nogthree posted:

So I'm getting back into costume related stuff by doing things I have either forgotten or never did before.

I'm looking to do a 40k basic Enginseer that I can eventually build up into a Magos.

I already have the robe and hood (I didn't sew it up, just bought a 'pagan ritual robe' to save on time.)

I'm looking to hem it in the traditional cog-teeth pattern like in this image, but with a teeth pattern that will actually mesh and be easier to sew.

The problem comes about with the material I've chosen to hem the cogs with. I wanted an industrial semi-mass manufactured look and to add weight so I picked out some signmaker's/upholstery vinyl scraps.

I suspect I'm going to have to sew them on but I'd like to hide the sewing so I'm open to better options. The robe is cotton so no superglue please :)

You could use a flexible fabric glue. If you did have to sew it I would suggest still using a spray glue to keep it all in place.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hello cosplay thread, currently at the end of my rope with how to fix this problem I'm having with a visor. Trouble is that the straps really don't work at current placement and the overall visor is too big. (Decided to just use links since I don't want to break tables with a long, fat post.)

http://imgur.com/a/zjeM2
http://imgur.com/a/869SJ
http://imgur.com/a/7lB3f

It pretty much just slips down my face, trouble is the straps come to the neck and there's nothing to support it there. Was thinking about an airsoft neck protector to wear underneath to add as a buffer. Is there any kind of foam or material that would be best suited for alleviating the problem?

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

MinibarMatchman posted:

hello cosplay thread, currently at the end of my rope with how to fix this problem I'm having with a visor. Trouble is that the straps really don't work at current placement and the overall visor is too big. (Decided to just use links since I don't want to break tables with a long, fat post.)

http://imgur.com/a/zjeM2
http://imgur.com/a/869SJ
http://imgur.com/a/7lB3f

It pretty much just slips down my face, trouble is the straps come to the neck and there's nothing to support it there. Was thinking about an airsoft neck protector to wear underneath to add as a buffer. Is there any kind of foam or material that would be best suited for alleviating the problem?

What a bizarre coincidence, my girlfriend is doing a genderbent Soldier 76, and she literally received her visor today, from the same maker, and is experiencing the same problem. I think the airsoft neck protector is a good idea - visually too, to fill the gap of bare neck between the visor and the jacket. That said, her solution is even simpler: create an extra strap going over the top of the head, and put a wig on top of that so nobody can see it. Assuming you're wearing a wig, it seems like the most effective way to secure the visor.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Patattack posted:

What a bizarre coincidence, my girlfriend is doing a genderbent Soldier 76, and she literally received her visor today, from the same maker, and is experiencing the same problem. I think the airsoft neck protector is a good idea - visually too, to fill the gap of bare neck between the visor and the jacket. That said, her solution is even simpler: create an extra strap going over the top of the head, and put a wig on top of that so nobody can see it. Assuming you're wearing a wig, it seems like the most effective way to secure the visor.

Yeah, I already have a wig/cap for the white hair. I only have a little time left for NYCCC in about two weeks so I'm wondering how well the neck cover will work out. If you don't mind me asking, what's the ideal way to go through with an extra strap near the top? I'm mystified when it comes to even simple modifications.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Since everyone is posting Overwatch stuff... I'm doing a Sombra inspired costume!

I posted earlier in the thread about experimenting with sculpting/casting to make some prosthetic ears. I actually took it up a notch and put some money down on some real mold-making/casting supplies and made this. It was super fun!

Only thing I dislike is how jacked up the eyeholes are. Oh well. It was a good first-time effort!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Looks neat.
I had no idea that there was anything for Sombra yet.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Looks neat.
I had no idea that there was anything for Sombra yet.

There isn't really, lol. Just that skull released during the ARG (what the mask is based off) and a newspaper clipping in-game that shows a knee-length hooded cloak. So that's what I'm doing, and adding various hacker-inspired elements.

I'm sure this will look nothing like the actual character, but that's ok because it's fun to make something without strict guidelines!

Whitz
Dec 17, 2012

HardDisk posted:

I'm more curious to know where did you start from?

Hmm like what part I started with? I wanted to learn/practice 3d modelling some more so made a 3d model of the gun first. I use 3d models for almost all my patterns anyway and I know it was going to be the most complicated part.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I'm making a Riddler cane and I defaulted to wood because I'm new to this whole thing and that's what popped into my head first. I used wood glue to attach the question mark to the rod, but it's too heavy and won't stay attached. Any suggestions on better ways to attach it? Or should I just redo it and make it out of craft foam of some kind http://imgur.com/a/h8qDm

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, I already have a wig/cap for the white hair. I only have a little time left for NYCCC in about two weeks so I'm wondering how well the neck cover will work out. If you don't mind me asking, what's the ideal way to go through with an extra strap near the top? I'm mystified when it comes to even simple modifications.

If it's under a wig, and you're not too keen on sewing or fabrication, you can use zip ties.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oneof27 posted:

If it's under a wig, and you're not too keen on sewing or fabrication, you can use zip ties.

I really have no idea how zipties are going to work with this mask, honestly---there's nowhere for them to go. The issue is that it's slipping off the front of my face.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Can you take a picture of it on your face? And are you wearing a wig ?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Scruffy the janitor posted:

I'm making a Riddler cane and I defaulted to wood because I'm new to this whole thing and that's what popped into my head first. I used wood glue to attach the question mark to the rod, but it's too heavy and won't stay attached. Any suggestions on better ways to attach it? Or should I just redo it and make it out of craft foam of some kind http://imgur.com/a/h8qDm

Either affix a PVC connector or drill a hole into the haft and attach a dowel of the same diameter to the head. Insert dowel and glue the top where it connects.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

You could take a threaded metal cap of some sort, drill a hole in the middle and drill a screw up into the bottom of the question mark, then you could either get a threaded dowel of the proper diameter, or just take a normal dowel that is larger than the threads and MAKE threads on the wood (do this first, before attaching the top). Then you can even disassemble it if you want.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Skandranon posted:

You could take a threaded metal cap of some sort, drill a hole in the middle and drill a screw up into the bottom of the question mark, then you could either get a threaded dowel of the proper diameter, or just take a normal dowel that is larger than the threads and MAKE threads on the wood (do this first, before attaching the top). Then you can even disassemble it if you want.

If it's wood, using a short threaded dowel that fits into a T-nut would let you pop the question mark in and off easily. Just drill the appropriate sized hole into the cane or extension, pop on the T-nut, then do the same for the other side, but with the threaded dowel. Secure everything with cement and you're done.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I really have no idea how zipties are going to work with this mask, honestly---there's nowhere for them to go. The issue is that it's slipping off the front of my face.

Hot glue a piece of elastic strap to either side just where your ears are, that goes up over the crown of your head like a headband. Then put the wig on over the top of that.

Inzombiac posted:

Either affix a PVC connector or drill a hole into the haft and attach a dowel of the same diameter to the head. Insert dowel and glue the top where it connects.

The latter will be the most effective means of attaching the thing. Use a pillar drill/drill press if you can (try your local hacker/makerspace) to make sure it's straight.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 28, 2016

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

You could take a small, thin wood disk and drill a 2 inch screw through the center (pointing "down"). Then, on either side of that screw, two smaller screws going "up" into the question mark topper. Then in the wood rod, drill a pilot hole in the center, and screw in the question mark topper

So it would kind of look like this

code:
[?????]
_|___|_
   |
   |
 [rod]
Not quite as elegant as the other suggestions though

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I had a feeling I was forgetting something simple. Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully it goes well!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Hot glue a piece of elastic strap to either side just where your ears are, that goes up over the crown of your head like a headband. Then put the wig on over the top of that.

Funhilde posted:

Can you take a picture of it on your face? And are you wearing a wig ?

It currently fits like this:

http://imgur.com/a/ZX0TW

I actually discovered that by redoing the straps on the back it can be made extremely tight--but it's still about 80% stable and is a little loose on the top right. It can stay there for a time but it digs into my head bad; it left an indentation there when my gf tightened it more.

Basically now that it can be tightened more I'm thinking the final steps might be to actually hotglue a buffer along the small forehead area, possibly with some neoprene foam to cushion my head from getting dug into as this thing crushes me. I don't need it to be perfect, just enough to last 5 or 6 hours for NYCC next week--I can make better modifications after that. Not sure if the neoprene is a good choice for this kind of thing, will be making the decision probably this weekend unless there's something else you guys would suggest.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

MinibarMatchman posted:

It currently fits like this:

http://imgur.com/a/ZX0TW

I actually discovered that by redoing the straps on the back it can be made extremely tight--but it's still about 80% stable and is a little loose on the top right. It can stay there for a time but it digs into my head bad; it left an indentation there when my gf tightened it more.

Basically now that it can be tightened more I'm thinking the final steps might be to actually hotglue a buffer along the small forehead area, possibly with some neoprene foam to cushion my head from getting dug into as this thing crushes me. I don't need it to be perfect, just enough to last 5 or 6 hours for NYCC next week--I can make better modifications after that. Not sure if the neoprene is a good choice for this kind of thing, will be making the decision probably this weekend unless there's something else you guys would suggest.

Is the foam in that area slipping down too? Is there already foam? Tyre is a specific foam you can get that is made for hat bands but isn't easy to find but foam used for repairing car seat upholstery would work pretty well too I imagine.
Maybe you need something that will kind of stick to your head. They make elastic with a small line of silicone that is mostly used for strapless dresses.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Funhilde posted:

Is the foam in that area slipping down too? Is there already foam? Tyre is a specific foam you can get that is made for hat bands but isn't easy to find but foam used for repairing car seat upholstery would work pretty well too I imagine.
Maybe you need something that will kind of stick to your head. They make elastic with a small line of silicone that is mostly used for strapless dresses.

There's no foam in the mask save for where the mouth area is, to cushion the nose/mouth. The rest is just hard PVC plastics so there's no cushioning or material in the visor or top area.

I might just go with the "attach soft foam along the mask" route this weekend and it could likely work well but the silicone elastic route might require less cutting apart of the neoprene. All I find for the former on Amazon are elastic bands for hair though maybe there are better options at the crafts stores around here.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

This is the kind of stuff being discussed, I think:

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Backed-inch-Gripper-Elastic/dp/B013LEXJLS/ref=pd_bxgy_201_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A4SBH08AS4R4EFQ5YV9B

You might also be able to find it in craft stores under the Dritz brand name:

https://www.createforless.com/Non-S...8KlhRoCiZPw_wcB

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

MinibarMatchman posted:

There's no foam in the mask save for where the mouth area is, to cushion the nose/mouth. The rest is just hard PVC plastics so there's no cushioning or material in the visor or top area.

I might just go with the "attach soft foam along the mask" route this weekend and it could likely work well but the silicone elastic route might require less cutting apart of the neoprene. All I find for the former on Amazon are elastic bands for hair though maybe there are better options at the crafts stores around here.

Here is the foam I was talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Hat-Size-Reducer-Disposable-Sweatband/dp/B00B7QIJUO/ref=pd_sim_229_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=999B0S2VGAKYXD3ARMZ0

Make it look more like this.

http://imgur.com/a/PvvaD

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Oh poo poo, this is exactly what I should get. That one isn't prime eligible but I found a similar foam adhesive tape for "hat size reduction" and the like.

I'll try out that and the silicone back thing, too. Thanks for all the suggestions, will report on the results in a few days!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I made that staff I mentioned a bit ago.
https://twitter.com/Relicmouth/status/781970789159448576?s=09

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

How did you end up doing the bend?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Skandranon posted:

How did you end up doing the bend?

I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures of the process but I didn't have a ton of time.

The haft is 5.5' of 3/4" of PVC and the bend is a PVC 90-degree connector and then 4 45-degree connectors that bend in the opposite direction.
Then they are duct taped in place, covered in brown paper bags and taped in a helix pattern with masking tape.
The wood is just some round basket reeds. Very cheap and pretty easy to work with. Cut them into 3' sections with some variation because uniformity would look pretty bad.
The reeds are then bound in place with some twine. The shape comes from the fact that the reeds came in a spool with a diameter close to what I wanted already. I did have to coerce them a bit.
I then spray-painted the whole mess with some brown spray paint I already owned.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone have a resource for a simple pattern for a leather hood? I'm trying to make one to fit with a plague doctor mask I'm making, so the open area where your face would normally be needs to be decently closed off. If the hood could extend down to around the shoulder area, that'd be fine, but it's not a huge deal.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/c10udy/status/782418136129638400

My finished mask that I added lights to! And my hacker armband that I used my old phone for.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so, mask update: I managed to attach a slip of foam padding meant for oversized hats on the top part of the mask, buffered a little by some sticky poster-velcro things. My gf tightened up the straps in back too so it fits just about perfectly without slipping now.
The visor light battery is legit terrible and there's no way to switch it on/off after putting this thing on so I probably won't be able to activate it at NYCC which is a bummer but whatever, makes for a good picture at least.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Glad it's working better.

I'm styling a wig today but I think I should have gotten a different style but I'm going to make it work. Character is Miss Yvonne from PeeWee's Playhouse
Before:

In progress

Also making a Mini PeeWee costume. Little details aren't perfect but I'm pretty pleased so far.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I finally got around to buying two 1mX1mX1cm EVA foam floor mats, and hopefully that's way more than I'll ever need. Let's see how that goes. :ohdear:

So I settled on making a Junkrat, and my plan is to keep you guys posted because I'll can certainly use tips and assurance, if that's cool with you.

One question, how long did you first full cosplay took you? There will be a con near me in two months, and while Junkrat doesn't look particularly hard, I'm not sure if I will be able to complete it in time.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

HardDiskD posted:

I finally got around to buying two 1mX1mX1cm EVA foam floor mats, and hopefully that's way more than I'll ever need. Let's see how that goes. :ohdear:

So I settled on making a Junkrat, and my plan is to keep you guys posted because I'll can certainly use tips and assurance, if that's cool with you.

One question, how long did you first full cosplay took you? There will be a con near me in two months, and while Junkrat doesn't look particularly hard, I'm not sure if I will be able to complete it in time.

We built our Big Daddy in maybe a hair over 2 months but I had no life hahahaha. If you're willing to put in a shitload of time I'd say you can do it. I'm now angling to finish Yara Greyjoy in 6 weeks, which will also include a Halloween costume and a wedding that I'm a groomsmaid in. I am also a crazy person.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
My Halloween list:

Miss Yvonne (me)
captain Carl (my husband)
Little PeeWee (my toddler)
Totoro (project with Gamera)
Black cat (finished)
Renaissance princess
Mtv music awards Prince
CO Avalanche Ice Girl
Sock Monkey (baby niece)
Blue pixelated khaki pants (a cards against humanity reference)
Adult Child Beauty Pageant contestant

I only really get to work while my kid is sleeping and I'm a work at home mom. It's going to be a hell of a month.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Whitz posted:

Hmm like what part I started with? I wanted to learn/practice 3d modelling some more so made a 3d model of the gun first. I use 3d models for almost all my patterns anyway and I know it was going to be the most complicated part.

I'm trying to trace the grenade laucher from Blizzard's reference kit, but the gun isn't exactly orthogonal to the camera they used and it's throwing me off. Can you post an orthogonal side and front view? It would help me a lot.

Edit: Nevermind, found a model!

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 10, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey guys. I'm new to costume stuff... but with Halloween, I thought I was clever ordering the new Hasbro Rogue One Stormtrooper Helmet. I bought it preorder and it arrives tomorrow... It only came out on 9/30.

The issue is I am seeing reviews that it is an AWESOME helmet but does not fit large heads. I am wondering/hoping if there is some stuff I can do to mod the inside...

I haven't gotten it yet, so I'm hoping some of these complaints have as much to do about SHAPE of head as they do SIZE...

Anyway, color me bummed. Advice is welcome. I want to make it work.

[edit]

http://news.toyark.com/2016/10/03/star-wars-black-series-stormtrooper-electronic-voice-changer-helmet-gallery-223819

Here's a butt-ton of photos of it. Including interior.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cross-posting

Inzombiac posted:

Officiating my sister's wedding today.

Running on fumes, no sleep and hungry as gently caress. Gonna be fun!

Got a lot of compliments and exasperated looks from old people. My sister ended up with a somewhat druid look as well so everything tied together well.
Not pictured: Dick cape, leather wrapped fur boot covers and a belly full of free drinks and smoked salmon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Looks fantastic! If your sister doesn't mind, can you share a photo of the wedding party? I know it's a little off-topic to the thread, but I'd love to see how your costume looks in its intended setting. :shobon: