Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ClayEnos/status/780820320777363456

:allears: Snyder

https://twitter.com/JoeManganiello/status/780867085001854976

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Invalid Validation posted:

I with the guy who enjoys the Marvel movies. In fact I enjoy a lot of different movies, I know that's loving crazy.

The dude said that every comic book movie prior to 2008 wasn't as entertaining as Marvel's worst stuff.

Edit: this came off as harsh so I changed it but come on. Nearly everyone in this thread likes Marvel movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 28, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Blade was a decade before Iron Man

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

I like Marvel movies I think they get a lot of unnecessary poo poo, the safe and formulaic ones were the earlier ones but the last batch has tried (and mostly succeeded) to be more visually interesting and entertaining, I like Guardian and Ant-Man and CW a lot and am looking forward to Dr. Strange.

The "more entertaining than pre-MCU superhero movies and most action movies" thing is just crap though, and frankly the very reason Marvel gets so much backlash in here. Like they are fun, light movies that are enjoyable but constantly hearing about how they revolutionized the superhero genre and how "DC/Sony/Fox need to follow Marvel's example" is just tiresome, especially given the list M's J and Capone posted.

The thing Marvel did that worked out was they allowed characters to be used in other movies. The universe thing is kind of a big deal because for most superhero films, you'd just have the hero, and a villain, and characters related to that. It'd be a one and done thing. And that always bugged people. They couldn't see more of a good villain because once that story is over, that's it. Where's comics keep them alive so they could be used again or used in a different way.

So like, imagine if Doc Ock lived and then showed up to battle uh....what else does Sony have, Ghost Rider? Yeah, he battles Ghost Rider. That'd be neat.

I can't really explain why, but I get a kick out of seeing Spider-Man shoot the poo poo with Tony Stark. It's something that would've been a fun "WHAT IF" pre Marvel, but now it's a thing and it's neat.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

The thing Marvel did that worked out was they allowed characters to be used in other movies. The universe thing is kind of a big deal because for most superhero films, you'd just have the hero, and a villain, and characters related to that. It'd be a one and done thing. And that always bugged people. They couldn't see more of a good villain because once that story is over, that's it. Where's comics keep them alive so they could be used again or used in a different way.

So like, imagine if Doc Ock lived and then showed up to battle uh....what else does Sony have, Ghost Rider? Yeah, he battles Ghost Rider. That'd be neat.

I can't really explain why, but I get a kick out of seeing Spider-Man shoot the poo poo with Tony Stark. It's something that would've been a fun "WHAT IF" pre Marvel, but now it's a thing and it's neat.

Yeah, again, I'm not saying it's not cool and Marvel doesn't deserve credit, they totally do. And other studios are following that example which is why we had multiple Batman scenes in SS and several studios are trying to do shared universes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

K. Waste posted:

Dr. Strange got me thinking, has anyone ever read any of Alejandro Jodorowsky's comics? 'Cause they look dope.

I've read quite a few. They are super dope.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Punkin Spunkin posted:

No but I just read Fight Club 2 and it was the most perfectly stupid thing
They should turn that into a comic book movie

What would Fight Club 2 even be about? I can't imagine a movie that would be less suitable for a sequel, other than maybe Romeo and Juliet.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

CelticPredator posted:

One of the problems I have with comics is they do this so often, and it isn't something I like enough to enjoy it as the norm rather than just once in a while. The way the MCU seems to be following the comics' example at this point is a little disappointing.

At least I don't have to watch Agents of Shield. I read the Guardians of the Galaxy comics, and the plots seemed incomplete. Then later I found out I'm supposed to read all these other comics ant different superheroes I didn't care about, and that just wasn't going to happen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What would Fight Club 2 even be about? I can't imagine a movie that would be less suitable for a sequel, other than maybe Romeo and Juliet.

I have an idea for Romeo & Juliet 2 but it's basically Renaissance Beetlejuice.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No Vanko, no sale.

To me Iron Man 2 is summed up by the fact that after the big battle, I was mainly concerned about whether nor not the cockatoo is okay.

I hope he's okay.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Dr. Strange got me thinking, has anyone ever read any of Alejandro Jodorowsky's comics? 'Cause they look dope.

L'Incal is one of the best comics ever made.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

The MSJ posted:

I have an idea for Romeo & Juliet 2 but it's basically Renaissance Beetlejuice.

I'm not sure I'd call Hamlet 2 great or anything, but I enjoyed it.

Rock me sexy Jesus

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

it's pretty easy to argue that Jodorowsky's comics are better than his movies.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, there's The Fifth Element...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

If Zack Snyder reaches his potential, he will one day make The Holy Mountain of superhero films.

A pop sci-fi movie version of The Incal already exists, it's called the Fifth Element and it's better than just about any superhero movie.

edit: drat, sniped

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The Metabarons won't ever be filmed. Shame though.

"So this guy got his balls crushed and hey wait where you going?"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The dude said that every comic book movie prior to 2008 wasn't as entertaining as Marvel's worst stuff.

Edit: this came off as harsh so I changed it but come on. Nearly everyone in this thread likes Marvel movies.

The Rocketeer, which is the template every Marvel movie is based on, is better than every Marvel movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Darko posted:

The Rocketeer, which is the template every Marvel movie is based on, is better than every Marvel movie.

While I disagree with this (and I like The Rocketeer!), the main theme pretty much is "Captain America".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzNhQefDvH0

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Am I forgetting something, or is it odd to call out the villains as where Marvel does this, considering they've done it with just one: Loki? Because it seems like they mostly do the opposite, just throwing the villains away rather than having them cross over. The other recurring villain I can think of is Crossbones, but he stayed in the Captain America line, which is just a recurring villain in a sequel, which happens all the time (Lex Luthor, Scarecrow, etc.).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Am I forgetting something, or is it odd to call out the villains as where Marvel does this, considering they've done it with just one: Loki? Because it seems like they mostly do the opposite, just throwing the villains away rather than having them cross over. The other recurring villain I can think of is Crossbones, but he stayed in the Captain America line, which is just a recurring villain in a sequel, which happens all the time (Lex Luthor, Scarecrow, etc.).

He also was only a super villain for like, five seconds and was otherwise just Normal Dude McBurnt Face in Winter Soldier who most people likely wouldn't even remember becoming Crossbones.

Scarecrow is a good example because we see him in some iteration of his outfit every movie.

and yeah Marvel is poo poo at doing villains so far. Loki is literally the only one that's got any kind of legs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Thanos may or may not have legs, he's always sitting on that chair.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Honest Thief posted:

The Metabarons won't ever be filmed. Shame though.

"So this guy got his balls crushed and hey wait where you going?"

Immortals got filmed and had nut-crushing!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Immortals got filmed and had nut-crushing!
I honestly can't recall anything from that movie, think I slept through it. It's hard to film Bilal's stuff since he's an amazing visual artist but his story suuuuuuuuuuuuucks rear end.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

greatn posted:

Thanos may or may not have legs, he's always sitting on that chair.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I liked Jeff Bridges but I'm not sure there's a lot more they could've done with him. Would like to see Hammer again but he's more of a comedy figure than a villain.

Tim Roth was good until the transformation. I guess I like the human villains more than the weird ones. I liked EisenLex a lot more than Zod which i know is probably less common.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Now that I know Taika Waititi is directing the new Thor it's probably going to be the best Marvel movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Vintersorg posted:

Now that I know Taika Waititi is directing the new Thor it's probably going to be the best Marvel movie.

Until Black Panther, at least.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Burkion posted:

He also was only a super villain for like, five seconds and was otherwise just Normal Dude McBurnt Face in Winter Soldier who most people likely wouldn't even remember becoming Crossbones.

Scarecrow is a good example because we see him in some iteration of his outfit every movie.

and yeah Marvel is poo poo at doing villains so far. Loki is literally the only one that's got any kind of legs.

I always hated that they killed Obadiah Staine. I would have loved Jeff Bridges as a recurring corporate douchebag they can never quite pin to the wall as he floats does "consulting" puppet-mastery work at different companies every few months even if they're able to stop alien invasions and stuff. Plus it would make it way easier to flesh out the various Iron Man characters if they didn't have to create an entirely new rival/mentory/whatever backstory in IM2 and 3.

The Netflix side has been great with how they've handled Kingpin though. But again even they blew it with Clancy Brown.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 28, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Soggy Cereal posted:

Marvel movies are Good. Even the "weaker" movies are more entertaining than pre-MCU superhero movies, and most action movies in general. Even the "colorless" ones have more color than most other action movies.
All three Captain Americas, Iron Man 1 and 3, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ant Man are all fantastic and very unique, and I would even rather watch the others than most movies in any genre.

I don't understand the complaints that they're just mediocre or blandly good or assembly line. What would spruce them up, short of just making fewer of them?
Sorry in advance for being long and rambly.

For the underlined: Can you list the start of what you consider the pre-MCU? You also saying that they're better than most action movies in general makes me think that you've ... not watched many?
for the bold: I don't honestly believe there's an oversaturation issue.

I don't want to lambast the MCU, because while I have grown to not enjoy them I can totally recognize them for being entertaining for many people - I don't think anyone's a bad person for liking or enjoying them. I think at any level beyond the standard occasional surface spectacle, they're immensely boring and routine and simple. I also think that they're not visually interesting barring a few scenes throughout the series. There's not a whole lot of quality story-telling through that medium.

There's also a woeful lack of interesting antagonists to these movies. They're terribly utilized. Underutilized characterization is perhaps the greatest sin of these movies in general. Shallowness.

I would say that (most of) the movies are lacking in substance. The stakes are 'tepid' given the setup scenarios for both characters and the world at large - and that's not to say that an alien invasion of central NYC is not earth-shaking, but the movie's reaction to them are dramatically undramatic. I don't need anyone to die and I don't need disastrous grimdark endings to make them interesting, but I'd like to see some element of consequence to create meaningful journeys for the characters. Leave the people in prison at the end of Civil War. Break them out in the new movie. Let the characters struggle with repercussion.

Who in the Marvel Universe is affected by any of the secret nazi plots or actions or invasions or activities or red robot flying men? Where's the living world reactions to what the superheroes are doing? Civil War made a wet fart's attempt to do that, I guess. And character-wise, Winter Soldier had Cap's interactions with his old lady-friend be kinda bittersweet.

It really feels like the Marvel movies are non-sequential comic books that are written so you can pick any random one up and read it, get its story, then pick another one up at random and get its own complete story. The characters are all tabula rasa'd each movie. Fine if they're one and done characters, but these are characters that have been showing up for years now.

I mean, there are certainly some good qualities to them. I love the scene at the beginning of Winter Soldier when Cap is loping from one end of the boat to the other just nonchalantly dropping the terrorists. That really was a great way to emphasize his differences. I liked most things related to Rocket/Groot. Fury's car chase was neat in Winter Soldier. Ant-Man had some interesting visuals with sizes, but aside from the lasers in the briefcase fight, what stood out from a movie like Honey I Shrunk The Kids? There a a bunch of other scenes that I would say are mostly pretty neat throughout the MCU, but I don't really want to list them out.

Electromax posted:

I liked EisenLex a lot more than Zod which i know is probably less common.
Zod was cool as a presence, but he's a standard character - nothing standout. He had great motivations, though. I liked him.

Lex was a lot more unusual. That blend of mania and power and frailty was pretty cool.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 28, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Honest Thief posted:

I honestly can't recall anything from that movie, think I slept through it. It's hard to film Bilal's stuff since he's an amazing visual artist but his story suuuuuuuuuuuuucks rear end.

Give it a rewatch and get blazed as hell beforehand. It's a Tarsem movie, so it's beautiful but the plot is no great shakes. :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly anyone who tries to say that ANY of the Marvel movies are top tier best of the best action movie genre work

Just

loving sit down and watch a heroic bloodshed movie some time. The Killer, A Better Tomorrow, Hard Boiled

Those are the obvious ones! A Better Tomorrow had a kickass Korean remake you could track down if you want something from after the 80s.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Burkion posted:

Honestly anyone who tries to say that ANY of the Marvel movies are top tier best of the best action movie genre work

Just

loving sit down and watch a heroic bloodshed movie some time. The Killer, A Better Tomorrow, Hard Boiled

Those are the obvious ones! A Better Tomorrow had a kickass Korean remake you could track down if you want something from after the 80s.

Facts. None of the MCU flicks even have the best action when compared to just other comic book movies. Like Blade 1 still basically destroys any comic book movie ever made as far as action flicks go. Compared to Netflix Marvel most of the action in the MCU flicks is really bad too. Winter Soldier is good though.

I understand the tightrope of trying to keep the movies PG-13 and how that limits certain things but the action in the MCU flicks doesn't grab me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I honestly found most of the fight sequences in Civil War to be barely watchable especially the very beginning. The Airport fight was good and the fight at the end were fine but the beginning is loving awful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

Facts. None of the MCU flicks even have the best action when compared to just other comic book movies. Like Blade 1 still basically destroys any comic book movie ever made as far as action flicks go.
And a big part of that is Snipes' performance. I wish other MCU heroes could live up to his example as far as physical action is concerned.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I honestly found most of the fight sequences in Civil War to be barely watchable especially the very beginning. The Airport fight was good and the fight at the end were fine but the beginning is loving awful.

Yeah there was a weird slip in the quality of the action directing between Winter Soldier and Civil War, it wasn't film-ruining for me but it was noticeable enough that I almost thought they changed up the editor or the cinematographer but, nope, exact same team.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I mean, I guess they could try to adapt the comic. It was pretty stupid and meta though. It's basically like, TYLER'S BACK AND HE'S A MEMETIC GENETIC VIRUS AND MAYBE ALSO THE CONCEPT OF EVIL ITSELF ALSO HI I'M CHUCK PALAHNIUK AND I EXIST IN THIS, SO DOES THE MOVIE ACTUALLY
it ends with Tyler Durden blowing Chuck Palahniuk's brains out though, so that's satisfying

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Burkion posted:

There's a better heroic bloodshed movie this year, even (if you count stateside release). Killzone 2. Probably my favorite film of the year tbh.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I mean, I guess they could try to adapt the comic. It was pretty stupid and meta though. It's basically like, TYLER'S BACK AND HE'S A MEMETIC GENETIC VIRUS AND MAYBE ALSO THE CONCEPT OF EVIL ITSELF ALSO HI I'M CHUCK PALAHNIUK AND I EXIST IN THIS, SO DOES THE MOVIE ACTUALLY
it ends with Tyler Durden blowing Chuck Palahniuk's brains out though, so that's satisfying

Wowzers.

Maybe Chuck just wanted some sweet residuals?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a better heroic bloodshed movie this year, even (if you count stateside release). Killzone 2. Probably my favorite film of the year tbh.

Of course Stateside heroic bloodshed counts.

Otherwise we'd have to throw out Face/Off and that would be a travesty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I appreciate that sentiment Burk (Face/Off is superb) but I what I meant was: Killzone 2 is technically a 2015 movie that wasn't brought to the states until this year.

Also if you haven't seen it, watch Killzone 2. A return to classic HK cinema and a real triumph.

• Locked thread