Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

drat, all these startups are pretty much con men and hucksters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

fits my needs posted:

They must worship a little statue of PT Barnum in their offices.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I had a friend on the glass team (she is still my friend but not with the Goog anymore) and even she couldn't convince us that glass would be fun to use at the current functionality. Well, that was my story.

Edit: Google glass, not crystal meth. As far as I understand, not having tried it myself, crystal meth is fantastic.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

fits my needs posted:

What else are you going to do? Work for a living like a chump?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
While "common" criminals are often lazy, the weird thing about a lot of con men and hucksters and people looking for angles sort of on the fringes of things (thinking of guys exploiting loopholes in promotional rebate offers or mail-in contests, your Michael Larsons etc.) is that a lot of them work much harder than a typical salaried employee has to. They just have sort of a gambler motivational drive or something. Start up folks are often in that category, but even when they aren't they generally work much harder than a typical salaried employee.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
In defence of the general idea of Google glasses: I have a small humanoid and have various systems, cron jobs and user requests to monitor. I also like communicating with fellow fans of grimdark plastic space barbies. I'd happily wear something like google glasses at home to free up my hands to hold the small humanoid when he needs holding but not talking to as it's his bedtime. Or walking back from the shops with hands full of bags from the shops. There are compelling needs for fairly basic interactions and display that don't require you to hold a phone.

On the voice recognition front, iOS isn't terrible, but again there's cultural expectations - if you ask Siri for details about an A road in our country, the A and the number are treated as a separate word. Additionally there's no delete or undo commands when dictating. Which is really odd considering voice recognition is still not perfect. It's way better than it was. Remember having to train things like IBM's VoiceType / ViaVoice (which will be turning 20 next year).

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Milotic posted:

In defence of the general idea of Google glasses: I have a small humanoid and have various systems, cron jobs and user requests to monitor. I also like communicating with fellow fans of grimdark plastic space barbies. I'd happily wear something like google glasses at home to free up my hands to hold the small humanoid when he needs holding but not talking to as it's his bedtime. Or walking back from the shops with hands full of bags from the shops. There are compelling needs for fairly basic interactions and display that don't require you to hold a phone.

On the voice recognition front, iOS isn't terrible, but again there's cultural expectations - if you ask Siri for details about an A road in our country, the A and the number are treated as a separate word. Additionally there's no delete or undo commands when dictating. Which is really odd considering voice recognition is still not perfect. It's way better than it was. Remember having to train things like IBM's VoiceType / ViaVoice (which will be turning 20 next year).

You have a kid and play warhammer? Why are you talking like this?
Devote attention to your neglected kid without talking about space marines, you massive dork.

Edit. For the same reason you'd were Google Glass, probably.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Milotic posted:

Your humanoid's gonna be real sad when you walk into traffic because you couldn't go 30 seconds without reading about toys.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Swedish tax agency is hitting a lot of AirBnB hosts with tax hikes since they haven't properly declared their AirBnB profits as taxable income. Exactly how they found out who's an AirBnB host has not been disclosed. (Article in Swedish only so far)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheFluff posted:

Swedish tax agency is hitting a lot of AirBnB hosts with tax hikes since they haven't properly declared their AirBnB profits as taxable income. Exactly how they found out who's an AirBnB host has not been disclosed. (Article in Swedish only so far)

I would hazard a guess that they just looked at AirBnB listings and correlated them with addresses and/or names in tax returns. :shrug:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Milotic posted:

While I hear you, a part of me kind of worries about a generation of parents so engrossed in this type of media to end up raising a generation of people detached from typical parenting experiences that their own children are severely affected. My parents weren't perfect but they also weren't perpetually distracted by the glint of the reflection of a click bait article, AMA Reddit thread, or social media update in their eyeballs.

Now its entirely possible I'll end up being my generation's :corsair: TV/video games rots your brain! Types, but as media becomes more and more integrated into our everyday lives, it does give me pause (speaking as someone who was gollygeewhiz about the idea of terminator vision)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the rise of smartphones has been so sudden and domineering that there will certainly be backlash before some kind of an equilibrium is reached. i dont have one and a number of my peers don't either, and for me at this point it's largely just to demonstrate that i don't want or need one because the idea of having access to the internet in my pocket horrifies me

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

the rise of smartphones has been so sudden and domineering that there will certainly be backlash before some kind of an equilibrium is reached. i dont have one and a number of my peers don't either, and for me at this point it's largely just to demonstrate that i don't want or need one because the idea of having access to the internet in my pocket horrifies me

Ehhh, it's handy as hell if you don't go overboard. It's really useful to be able to fact check yourself and others during an argument or, when failing to describe something, just Google up a drat picture. I'm also an art person so it's unbelievably handy to have pictures of my work on call at all times. It definitely has its uses. It's really about moderation, like all things; and let's be honest most people aren't just glued to their phones all day every day. Those people are a minority. Everybody else is like "oh hey useful tool, thank you science!"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

For hardware reasons I've been smartphoneless for the better part of three weeks. It's very frustrating; I liked being in touch with the world, reading the newspaper in line for the returns counter, that sort of thing. I have been scolding myself for my lack of inner resources, but on the other hand when I'm home I'm computing (for loose interpretations of "computing") anyway. Before my smartphone I took a book everywhere in the bottom of my purse, so it's not clear how much has changed. Note that the smartphone also *is* a book in the bottom of my purse, and I do use it as such.

And, yeah, Something Awful and Candy Crush, too. But *knowing* stuff whenever I want to is such a miracle.

e: My husband and I just went on a short vacation to Mendocino. We spent a lot of time hanging out, walking, talking to each other. But when it came time to eat out, my smartphone led us to restaurants we'd never have found: a tiny three-booth Thai restaurant in Fort Bragg, a magnificent barbecue place in the middle of nowhere that did Memphis-style brisket that was unbelievable. Go team smartphone.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 28, 2016

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Ehhh, it's handy as hell if you don't go overboard. It's really useful to be able to fact check yourself and others during an argument or, when failing to describe something, just Google up a drat picture. I'm also an art person so it's unbelievably handy to have pictures of my work on call at all times. It definitely has its uses. It's really about moderation, like all things; and let's be honest most people aren't just glued to their phones all day every day. Those people are a minority. Everybody else is like "oh hey useful tool, thank you science!"

The fact checking during conversations is actually one of the more damaging aspects in my opinion. First, that example pulls you out of the conversation. But more generally the reality that you have the entire world of information in your pocket is a constant low level distraction. Plus, more than that, you could be trading stocks and making money or finding a better job, or researching your next project or finding a better girlfriend meaning that at every moment no matter where you are or what your'e doing you could be more productive than you're likely being at that moment. That leads to anxiety in a way that didn't used to exist. If you were on the subway with a magazine in 1999 all you could do was read it or look out the window.

On the flip side smartphones are exceedingly practical. One aspect in particular is navigation. As an aside, it amazes me when people try to give directions or brag about how they know the 'best way" in 2016. It's like listening to people talk about tricks for doing long division as if the calculator doesn't exist. Smartphones have effectively solved navigation. You don't look at maps or discuss shortcuts, you plug your destination into waze and follow the purple line exactly. It's not right all the time, but it's a hell of a lot better than you think you are.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

asdf32 posted:

The fact checking during conversations is actually one of the more damaging aspects in my opinion. First, that example pulls you out of the conversation. But more generally the reality that you have the entire world of information in your pocket is a constant low level distraction. Plus, more than that, you could be trading stocks and making money or finding a better job, or researching your next project or finding a better girlfriend meaning that at every moment no matter where you are or what your'e doing you could be more productive than you're likely being at that moment. That leads to anxiety in a way that didn't used to exist. If you were on the subway with a magazine in 1999 all you could do was read it or look out the window.

On the flip side smartphones are exceedingly practical. One aspect in particular is navigation. As an aside, it amazes me when people try to give directions or brag about how they know the 'best way" in 2016. It's like listening to people talk about tricks for doing long division as if the calculator doesn't exist. Smartphones have effectively solved navigation. You don't look at maps or discuss shortcuts, you plug your destination into waze and follow the purple line exactly. It's not right all the time, but it's a hell of a lot better than you think you are.

Both of these paragraphs say so much more about you then they do the people you think you're criticizing. It's not normal to have productivity FOMO, and it's not healthy to trust technology so uncritically that you sneer at humans communicating information they've garnered from their own experience and observations. Maybe you live in a bizarrely easy driving locale, but where I live waze is often disastrously wrong and can have you breaking traffic laws or stuck making a no-light left turn across six lanes of traffic until you die of old age. People have literally died from following GPS maps too blindly, so if we're railing against technology I'll criticize that one over the menace that is "reading magazine articles on your commute, but not on paper"

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Milotic posted:

You've got a different definition of compelling than I do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

asdf32 posted:

can you use your smartphone to figure out how much 15 dollars an hour is

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Milotic posted:

Or instead of this weird answer you instead could point out hire useful an actual overlay would be when it comes to detailed work with your hands - being able to refer to recipes while cooking, overlaying schematics of your engine while performing repairs, wiring diagrams at home, complex aerospace installations, etc.

It's creepy as gently caress when you're trying to shoehorn this tech when you're interacting with other people. When you're just at home or at work, it makes a great deal more sense.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Milotic posted:

I'm genuinely worried about your child.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

asdf32 posted:

Any time I'm travelling with a *book* it's a low-level distraction. Somehow I manage to enjoy talking to people I actually want to talk to. The fact that I have the book in my purse doesn't mean I'm constantly thinking bookbookbook like I'm jonesing for heroin. (Okay. Sometimes it does.)

I think you're entangling two issues. One of them is "my job expects me to answer mail/texts 24/7", which is a feature of cellphones, not just smartphones, and which I agree is a bad thing. The other is "I might have something more entertaining to do than be present in any given situation". That one, I think, is very much subjective and individual. There are a lot of situations in which my choices are between checking out my phone and talking to strangers, and (A) I am shy and (B) talking to strangers, when female, is apt to be misunderstood. Whenever I'm sitting quietly in a room I could be knitting, or reading, or playing an instrument, or talking, and I'm not constantly minmaxing which is the best use of my time.

Being able to take pictures, or find out which local restaurants are open for lunch, or find out what's on the front page of a British newspaper, all with one small object, is *magic*.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm genuinely worried about your child.

Don't be, internet stranger, they're fine. A hands free interface for e.g. checking work email is a convenience. The same way being able to check work email on your phone is. Otherwise I would have to be sat in front of a laptop every 15 minutes. It makes monitoring based on call duties a lot easier. You don't automatically have to leap to "it will curtail all human interaction ever / make everyone a bad parent".

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Any time I'm travelling with a *book* it's a low-level distraction. Somehow I manage to enjoy talking to people I actually want to talk to. The fact that I have the book in my purse doesn't mean I'm constantly thinking bookbookbook like I'm jonesing for heroin. (Okay. Sometimes it does.)
Your smartphone and its apps are designed just like World of Warcraft or Candy Crush, giving you constant little updates and pushing those pleasure hormone levels up. Your book isnt. Thats a big difference and its why people can walk around with a book in their bag without checking it every 5 seconds and not with a smartphone.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheFluff posted:

I swear Swedish people just don't know their loving tax code. What in gods name makes them think they can commercially rent out their property (which is an asset) without paying taxes just because it happens through an intermediary? It's exactly the same as when Uber conveniently left out to their drivers that if they are actively looking for customers then what they are doing constitutes as a business and necessitates paying the employer fee (which no one without business experience even knows exists) in addition to income tax as they are not employed by Uber.

I'm going to assume that very little of this is malicious tax fraud because no one in that game would do that through a company that only pays in trackable payments.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think that it may be because in lots of Europe your company just automatically does your taxes. I know my one usually does.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Josef bugman posted:

I think that it may be because in lots of Europe your company just automatically does your taxes. I know my one usually does.

That's true but when it comes to renting property you have to handle the taxes yourself. I doubt it's ignorance.
More likely they thought the government wouldn't find out about it because there's no long term tenant registered to the property so there's nothing to automatically flag the property in the system.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

asdf32 posted:

But more generally the reality that you have the entire world of information in your pocket is a constant low level distraction. Plus, more than that, you could be trading stocks and making money or finding a better job, or researching your next project or finding a better girlfriend meaning that at every moment no matter where you are or what your'e doing you could be more productive than you're likely being at that moment. That leads to anxiety in a way that didn't used to exist.

Holy poo poo, how loving broken are you?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

WampaLord posted:

Holy poo poo, how loving broken are you?

You think this is a personal experience rather than a trend? It's not remotely cutting edge to point out that smartphones impact our ability to relax or "get away" or distract us from the immediate.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i see "i can look up facts during a discussion!" and "i never get lost, i have a map!" and "i can find good restaurants nearby!" as, in my opinion, damaging to the real life existence of being a human and navigating your environment in space and time. like, i don't need to be objectively correct in a conversation, so long as we can work out a consensus agreement (social skills). and getting lost helps you to not get lost again, and to learn about your environment (spatial skills). finding a gem of a restaurant is a happy discovery, the experience is somewhat cheapened if you're just looking up the best restaurants nearby and going where everyone else goes

these are all my opinions of course, but i really kind of feel bad for people who are just lead by the nose through life on behalf of their phone. especially people who are busy checking virtual conversations while neglecting the physical conversations in the current time and place they inhabit. that and like the goon mentioned above, these apps actively compete for your attention like a needy child which is not a good thing. i anticipate some sort of backlash here within the next decade and we'll see a bunch of stupid thinkpieces about disconnecting as a lifestyle trend

and truthfully, i have enough problems with internet addiction when i work my computer job or do my computer relaxation hobbies. when i'm away from a computer i want to be away from computers. i really do not want the internet in my pocket

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

boner confessor posted:

these are all my opinions of course, but i really kind of feel bad for people who are just lead by the nose through life on behalf of their phone. especially people who are busy checking virtual conversations while neglecting the physical conversations in the current time and place they inhabit. that and like the goon mentioned above, these apps actively compete for your attention like a needy child which is not a good thing. i anticipate some sort of backlash here within the next decade and we'll see a bunch of stupid thinkpieces about disconnecting as a lifestyle trend

and truthfully, i have enough problems with internet addiction when i work my computer job or do my computer relaxation hobbies. when i'm away from a computer i want to be away from computers. i really do not want the internet in my pocket

Socrates was terrified that increased literacy would destroy storytelling, since we didn't have to remember what we could write down. Conrad Gessner wrote a book about the harmful effects of the information overload in the early 16th century. If you look hard enough, you'll find an article somewhere that ascribe every one of your fears to books, radio and television. Every time we invent new information technology, the exact same concerns show up.

We're all learning to live with this stuff. It's new and weird and uncomfortable at times. But it's also unbelievably useful. We are a better species because it exists. Find a balance for yourself, reconcile with your own technology, but please don't concern troll humanity about it. We'll integrate it and move on, just like we did with books, radio and television.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

asdf32 posted:

I rode the subway in 1999. Most people kept to themselves. A lot of people did homework or office work with pen and paper if they felt like they needed to be productive. If they didn't, they listened to a walkman or discman with headphones, or read a book or magazine, or talked with their friends. It didn't look very different than it does now, except about half the people with books or music are looking at screens instead.

The anxiety to be productive is much, much older than smartphones. Just because you weren't an adult before they existed doesn't mean adults didn't go through the same things. I think you're conflating a fear of technology with the anxiety of growing up.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Milotic posted:

You don't automatically have to leap to "it will curtail all human interaction ever / make everyone a bad parent".

That's not why I'm worried about your child.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

asdf32 posted:

You think this is a personal experience rather than a trend? It's not remotely cutting edge to point out that smartphones impact our ability to relax or "get away" or distract us from the immediate.

Yes, it is personal experience. The vast majority of people can relax just fine while owning a smartphone. They are not constantly min-maxing their lives because they have access to the internet.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah i get just pointing at a precedence of complaints about new developments, but on the other hand smart phones have achieved a massive amount of market penetration in a very short amount of time. people are already feeling anxious about parting with a device they, statistically, did not own seven years ago. no other mass market communication tool, for example television, gained such a dominant role in people's lives in such a short time

as technology advances the pace of change rapidly increases to a point that people's lives experience multiple dramatic changes in lifestyle and tool use within one lifetime, something which simply did not happen in the past excepting major cataclysms like plague or the collapse of civilizations. like, in 1500, the world was pretty much the same when you died as when you were born. a person who is 40 today typically went from zero internet to internet on demand in their pocket within their lifetime.

i agree with posters itt that moderation is the key, but i believe that the equilibrium of personal internet and device use is at a level lower than what we currently experience, because as a society we're still riding a crest of novelty and early optimism. i mean, we're just now developing social rules to teach children how to be safe online, because it was unlikely even fifteen years ago that people would expect a child to have an active presence on the internet

here's a great article by andrew sullivan about how he was practically driven insane by his addiction to internet communication and information

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/09/andrew-sullivan-technology-almost-killed-me.html

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I rode the subway in 1999. Most people kept to themselves. A lot of people did homework or office work with pen and paper if they felt like they needed to be productive. If they didn't, they listened to a walkman or discman with headphones, or read a book or magazine, or talked with their friends. It didn't look very different than it does now, except about half the people with books or music are looking at screens instead.

i dont think people are worried about ways to not interact with strangers. when i go out to drink with my friends, not only do they regularly dip into phone world for a while but you can look at any group of friends and see the same behavior. my cousin's young child will hide mom and dad's phones because they look at them too much. the novelty has to wear off at some point

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 28, 2016

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
While I agree that many of the fears are overblown, there is some evidence of an increasing dependence on smartphones. We rely on them all the time, even at the expense of normal social interaction.
We check conversations online even when talking face to face, and spend whole shows recording events that we end up missing because we look at our phones. Hell, our time in the toilet has increased now thanks to smartphones.

I posted this while pooping.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
this post is not intended as an insult or a jab or anything, and i do not expect or anticipate any replies

but think about turning off your phone and ignoring it for 24 hours. does that thought cause you any anxiety? what about two days? can you do that? can you go a whole weekend without your phone?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

this post is not intended as an insult or a jab or anything, and i do not expect or anticipate any replies

but think about turning off your phone and ignoring it for 24 hours. does that thought cause you any anxiety? what about two days? can you do that? can you go a whole weekend without your phone?

I'll admit, I'm not typical in the slightest, but I'd be perfectly fine with this. I hardly ever get texts or calls. There have been several weekends I've left my phone in my pants pocket from Friday when I get home until Sunday night.

My pants being on the floor, not on my body, in this scenario.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 28, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'd have both family members and friends start worrying that I'm dead within 24 hours. I know because this has literally happened before.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What about people spending proportionally less time watching TV as a result of watching it on their smartphone?

Theres also the advantage of having entertainment during painfully boring or tedious moments - crammed in an airplane, waiting your turn in the DMV, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Panfilo posted:

Theres also the advantage of having entertainment during painfully boring or tedious moments - crammed in an airplane, waiting your turn in the DMV, etc.

i'd argue that learning patience and to derive entertainment from your surroundings is far more valuable than being able to turn your attention towards a distraction. sometimes life is painful or even just boring. again this is just my opinion and if someone finds joy in having their favorite shows or whatever then that's their life, it's just a difference of degrees from having a book, music player, ebook, handheld video game, etc.

although i would say that streaming video on demand is worse because then you're tossing money at a data plan where they count on hitting you with overage fees - this is why phone data provision is such a lucrative market right now. my phone plan costs $5 a month :smug:

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 28, 2016