Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Brovine posted:

Perhaps the biggest reason not to use a 747 as a missile boat?

If no 747 is armed, then all 747s are civilian* (unarmed-but-military stuff already in service kinda blurs this I guess). If some 747s are armed, the risk of hundreds of passengers being shot down is far far higher.

Tell that to Genadi Osipovich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

TCD posted:

We armed the 737 so I'm not sure that argument means much. Also, I'm not sure how easily 1990s radar could distinguish 747 vs other 4 engine large planes.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure there's no armed 777 but tell that to the people on MH17.

well to be fair it did have a missile in it

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Naramyth posted:

:drat:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Naramyth posted:

lmao

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Naramyth posted:

A missile that came from Russia, say international prosecutors.

Russia gives the textbook response of lies and obstruction.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Air show in North Korea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vqNqB0zBgE

More cold war: a RNoAF F-104 flew for the first time in 33 years today, after 13 years of restoration, making it the only flightworthy lawn dart in Europe :toot:

Video of it taking off and flying into the god drat sunset here https://www.nrk.no/nordland/her-flyr-eskil-_the-widowmaker_-for-forste-gang-pa-33-ar-1.13152617

I only got to hear it howl :(

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Naramyth posted:

it technically only had parts of a missile in it :science:

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Sweden is planning to reintroduce conscription in 2018 as they aren't getting enough recruits for the voluntary military,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/28/sweden-bring-back-conscription-2018

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Brovine posted:

Perhaps the biggest reason not to use a 747 as a missile boat?

If no 747 is armed, then all 747s are civilian* (unarmed-but-military stuff already in service kinda blurs this I guess). If some 747s are armed, the risk of hundreds of passengers being shot down is far far higher.

That's like opposite land. The probable reason why they would consider that BAE ICBM launch platform would be to have it fly commercial routes and be hard to take out preemptively.

e: VVV The point of prompt global strike is that you don't have to have the launch assets in the area at the time of need.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 29, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think the BAE/Orbital ATK thing was a relatively recent rehash for the Prompt Global Strike initiative. So we'd be back on an 'airborne alert' system, only with conventionally-tipped air-launched TBMs. Something tells me it'd be pretty easy to spot the 747s flying in predictably ovular paths off the coast of North Korea and inside strike range for Afghanistan, Iran, and Yemen.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sperglord Actual posted:

A missile that came from Russia, say international prosecutors.

Russia gives the textbook response of lies and obstruction.

This may be a dumb question but is there actually any negative to a major nation just being full of bullshit and lies forever?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nebakenezzer posted:

This may be a dumb question but is there actually any negative to a major nation just being full of bullshit and lies forever?

How do you negotiate if your word is worthless?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

xthetenth posted:

This plus sanctions, trade restrictions, etc.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm kind of skeptical of the value of sanctions, historically they don't seem to have had much impact.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mortabis posted:

I'm kind of skeptical of the value of sanctions, historically they don't seem to have had much impact.

Hasn't their economy pretty been a dumpster fire for the last few years, especially with the drop in oil prices?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Plinkey posted:

Hasn't their economy pretty been a dumpster fire for the last few years, especially with the drop in oil prices?

Yes, their economy is in the shitter, but oil prices and their own domestic mismanagement probably account for almost all of that.

I don't really *object* to sanctions but they strike me as the free tibet bumper sticker of geopolitics.

VVV you lost me. Are you suggesting I support Trump/am parroting his Russia policy? Because neither is true.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 29, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

This post is :perfect: given the latest Trump news.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

xthetenth posted:

by threatening to cut of eastern europe's natrual gas supply

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

I mean, there have to be some, but seemingly less than you'd think. :shrug:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mortabis posted:

This got me thinking about the sanctions on Japan pre-Pearl Harbor. Which I... don't actually know very much about.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

This got me thinking about the sanctions on Japan pre-Pearl Harbor. Which I... don't actually know very much about.

the tldr is that japan was being imperialist as gently caress in east asia and broosevelt was getting tired of it so he cut off trade to japan. since the US was japans primary oil provider this inconvenienced them a lot and caused them to start looking for other sources, namely the dutch colonies in the pacific. they somehow though the us would give a poo poo if they invaded, and planned a simultaneous strike on pearl harbor the try and knock out the American fleet by exploiting their opponents inferior fighting spirit, a plan that has literally never work in all of recorded and unrecorded history.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

VVV you lost me. Are you suggesting I support Trump/am parroting his Russia policy? Because neither is true.

One of Trump's companies just got caught illegally trading with Cuba.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Godholio posted:

Hahahaha wow.

And yeah I was actually thinking of the Cuba sanctions as I wrote that. They're still shambling along after what, 60 years?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yes, but Obama significantly eased them.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

mlmp08 posted:

Yes, but Obama significantly eased them.

Sounds like Trump was ahead of the curve, there.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Sounds like Trump was ahead of the curve, there.

yeah the laffer curve

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

xthetenth posted:

Marginalize/kill your own people or test a nuclear weapon, pretend to stop doing either to get sanctions relaxed.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mortabis posted:

Hahahaha wow.

And yeah I was actually thinking of the Cuba sanctions as I wrote that. They're still shambling along after what, 60 years?

The difference here is that the embargo against Cuba was just American. That's nothing to sneeze at, but Cuba could still trade with the rest of the world.

Trade sanctions and embargoes (sp?) at the level of the UN are another thing altogether

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

The difference here is that the embargo against Cuba was just American. That's nothing to sneeze at, but Cuba could still trade with the rest of the world.

Trade sanctions and embargoes (sp?) at the level of the UN are another thing altogether

Not that America didn't try to say it'd inflict sanctions against any foreign company anywhere in the world that traded with Cuba, mind you, until the EU told them to knock it off.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I think trade embargo's would have more of an effect on governments that hold legit elections. Like if we put an embargo on the Philippines it would probably result in them realizing electing pieces of poo poo has consequences. That doesn't really work with Russia. It still hurts Russia but it wont result in the population going "gently caress this" and doing anything about the actual cause of the embargo.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

yeah the laffer curve

:vince:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reverand maynard posted:

I think trade embargo's would have more of an effect on governments that hold legit elections. Like if we put an embargo on the Philippines it would probably result in them realizing electing pieces of poo poo has consequences. That doesn't really work with Russia. It still hurts Russia but it wont result in the population going "gently caress this" and doing anything about the actual cause of the embargo.
Any competent piece of poo poo will happily take US sanctions and use the narrative against their political opponents.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Reverand maynard posted:

What would happen if a semi-important trade partner placed sanctions on us? You really think the American people would take a hard look at themselves and reevaluate things? Or would the average person flip it right back and take it as an insult? Now, what makes you think humans anywhere else would react differently? For gently caress's sake, the most destructive war in human history had its roots in this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sharing a good post from the OSHA thread of all places, where the topic of discussion was aerial refuelling.

SelenicMartian posted:

And one day the fuel spills out and all over the plane and catches on fire.
And the pilot discovers the ejection seat doesn't work and he has to remove the canopy and crawl out at several hundred knots.
And then the pilot discovers the parachute doesn't open, so he has to fall several thousand meters into the sea.
And then the pilot survives the impact - partly because he had his spleen removed a few years earlier.

https://uss-la-ca135.org/60/1960Judkins-Knott.html

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SelenicMartianr posted:

And one day the fuel spills out and all over the plane and catches on fire.
And the pilot discovers the ejection seat doesn't work and he has to remove the canopy and crawl out at several hundred knots.
And then the pilot discovers the parachute doesn't open, so he has to fall several thousand meters into the sea.
And then the pilot survives the impact - partly because he had his spleen removed a few years earlier.

https://uss-la-ca135.org/60/1960Judkins-Knott.html

This story makes me hate every program manager who described how expensive and useless rigorous testing is.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

This story makes me hate every program manager who described how expensive and useless rigorous testing is.

That's because you're not coming at it the right way. Get rid of all the ejection seats and parachutes, and remove every pilot's spleen. Think of the savings!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hogmartin posted:

That's because you're not coming at it the right way. Get rid of all the ejection seats and parachutes, and remove every pilot's spleen. Think of the savings!

It'll be fine we've never had one fail in 5 years! No one ejected during this time

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

CarForumPoster posted:

You should hate them. They are bad at their job. Now if you want to bitch about inflated cross charging in DoD for USG on USG services, I couldn't agree more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tremblay posted:

You should hate them. They are bad at their job. Now if you want to bitch about inflated cross charging in DoD for USG on USG services, I couldn't agree more.

This is true within big defense as well.