Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

oh boy theres nothing like trying to bring up undocumented asics with flaky as poo poo interfaces

POTENTIAL ERRATA: will draw arbitrarily large amounts of current on digital I/O if they come up with the supply; I/O have to be held low while supply comes up and cant be used for XX time after power on

aka if you try to bring them up with CS/nRST high lol @ u

this is why reset supervisors exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

i wouldn't wish my current boss on my worst enemy

#justgreencardthings

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what's wrong with msp430

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Silver Alicorn posted:

what's wrong with msp430

$1 Cortex-M0 microcontrollers exist, you should be using those for low-volume (i.e. less than 100,000 units) or hobby projects, because GCC is probably better than whatever compiler you'd otherwise end up using.

If you have an extremely limited power budget then it might be worthwhile, but even then you should check out the EnergyMicro (:rip:) SiLabs EFM32 series. They are quite expensive though.

So the answer is, if you're doing something very low power and in huge quantities then I guess it makes sense to use MSP430. Otherwise, there are better alternatives.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

msp430s are outclassed in every way by other parts

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bloody posted:

msp430s are outclassed in every way by other parts

*points to my dilz

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

$1 Cortex-M0 microcontrollers exist, you should be using those for low-volume (i.e. less than 100,000 units) or hobby projects, because GCC is probably better than whatever compiler you'd otherwise end up using.

also you can use clang

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
eh. I guess you could also say it's less popular so it's harder to find example code for

I do like TI's documentation tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's an arduino fork for the msp430 called "energia"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Setting up a Cortex-M dev environment is way more of a pain in the dick than it needs to be, that's the only downside.

Upside is you have a 32-bit (flat address space! :toot:) CPU core that has industrial-strength FOSS compilers targeting it.

and who cares there's Arduino clones of everything these days.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.olimex.com/

this place is like a candy store if you're a hobbyist embdev nerd

ARM MCUs? full-on 32-bit and 64-bit ARM application processors with eMMC and NAND FLASH?

If U Want It? It's 4 Sale OK

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
what about these: http://ambiqmicro.com/low-power-microcontroller

they use some weird undervolting thing

is the limesdr worth buying? 0-6GHz sdr but lol @ implementing anything complex, that poo poo's real hard

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

https://www.olimex.com/

this place is like a candy store if you're a hobbyist embdev nerd

ARM MCUs? full-on 32-bit and 64-bit ARM application processors with eMMC and NAND FLASH?

If U Want It? It's 4 Sale OK

ty mr dog this is v needs suiting

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

is the limesdr worth buying? 0-6GHz sdr but lol @ implementing anything complex, that poo poo's real hard

i saw a person use one of those in the ham bands to set up a gsm base station once, it was pretty cool

the biggest problem with sdr is that things like gnuradio exist and can be made to do almost anything but are absolutely terrible to get started on, get installed, etc and the alternative is special-purpose applications (the various *BTS stacks, for instance) that presuppose a lot of information about your intended goals and are also absolutely terrible to get started on

so if you want to do the something somebody else is doing, it's easier; if you want to do something new you need to get through the install process of gnuradio and learn yourself some digital signal processing and clock recovery and figure out how to get symbols out and de-whiten them etc etc

balint seeber's talks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pltmBkQSy7w for instance) are pretty good at giving you things you need to learn for the latter

the other problem with sdr is that the wider the bandwidth you care about the more computation power you need to throw at it and the higher bandwidth i/o you need; for context, you could decode 802.11b at its lowest data rate on the early usrps but you needed to reprogram the fpga to do a bunch of the work

that said ive heard good things about the lime

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gnuradio blows rear end though to be fair I was pushing 20 Mhz of baseband through it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
gnuradio also provides a livecd image, though, which is handy for just loving around with it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i hosed around with clash some more today. seems cool but also not great for low-level bit janitoring

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also got chisel3 stuff built and set up in linux on windows but there's literally zero documentation for it so i have no idea how to do anything with it so i dunno if its any good for anything or not.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

is jffs2 a horrible decision that will haunt me forever? it seems alright but I haven't actually looked through the source yet

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

In ad is there a way to manually assign a computer to a specific site through policy instead of IP mappings? I think the answer is no, but I'm trying to get sites set up so we can support RODCs and the people who run the servers are asking weird questions and trying to avoid doing any work

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

In ad is there a way to manually assign a computer to a specific site through policy instead of IP mappings? I think the answer is no, but I'm trying to get sites set up so we can support RODCs and the people who run the servers are asking weird questions and trying to avoid doing any work

I only have one site, op

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I think u are lost

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

on second thought the available jffs2 code is all for Linux and I don't know if wrapping/rewriting hundreds of system calls and dynamic memory allocation is a path to a happy life

otoh YAFFS looks pretty good but a commercial license is $10k which is probably 3x the price at which we say "hmm let's think about this"

there's an active github project that looks like exactly what I want with a permissive license but who knows what rare bugs could be lurking within that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

do that last one, they're all going to have exciting rare bugs anyways

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

do that last one, they're all going to have exciting rare bugs anyways

yeah, probably going to go with: https://github.com/pellepl/spiffs

also this is cool: https://github.com/x3ro/coffee-fs except it has the hilarious limitation that any 0x00 bytes at the end of the file get dropped when you close it and open it again

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Fuuuuuuck look at this

I was reading a thing about a hacker conference badge design which uses a shitload of discrete LEDs for a display and well just look at this

"I don’t like autorouted PCBs, so I was in for quite a rough time trying to solve the routing manually having only 2 layers on the board at my disposal. The LED matrix is so dense that there was virtually no room on the LED layer, so most of the tracks on the component layer had to be routed as if it was a single layer PCB. To make matters worse, the LED layer is routed as a matrix, with a bunch of horizontal and vertical tracks, otherwise a good reason to use a 4-layer PCB. To stay inside the budget, everything had to be placed on 2 layers, and that’s why the final result seems so confusing at the populated area between the batteries"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hey yospos ees

so i was talking to an acquaintance who's some kind of hardware engineer for something or other and he was insisting that you need to keep magnets away from SSDs because the NAND cells can be flipped by a strong magnetic field

was he just mansplaining and shooting his mouth off? or is this actually a thing?

(the context of the conversation was, like, the kinds of magnets you'd have in a house, not putting your laptop in a tokamak field coil or something)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

so i was talking to an acquaintance who's some kind of hardware engineer for something or other and he was insisting that you need to keep magnets away from SSDs because the NAND cells can be flipped by a strong magnetic field

short answer: no, you will not flip a bit of NAND state with a constant magnetic field

longer pedantic caveat: if you were wagglin' a magnet over it, you could conceivably get enough magnetic flux to induce a current in something and cause UNPREDICTABLE behavior, but i still wouldn't expect that to manifest as a single bit flip, you'd probably fry something proper like

give him a USB stick, a rare earth magnet, and ask him to flip a single bit. even better a flash card, the kind RPi's were eating when linux couldn't handle a cheap flash backing. you could probably get one of those to fail with a magnet

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

longer pedantic caveat: if you were wagglin' a magnet over it, you could conceivably get enough magnetic flux to induce a current in something and cause UNPREDICTABLE behavior, but i still wouldn't expect that to manifest as a single bit flip, you'd probably fry something proper like

i got the sense after a while that he was trying to say this, but there's a huge difference between "this thing is sensitive to induced currents in its circuity" (no poo poo) and "this thing is sensitive to putting a magnet on it" imo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

last night I picked up a tektronix 5115 storage scope with a 4 channel input, this crazy articulated cart for it (also from tektronix), a HeathKit ig-1275 function generator, a frickin million page manual and associated accessories for $40.

the best part is the scope has this head mount thing that lets you sear your retinas with pure oscilloscope vaporwave, by mounting it to the scope screen and pressing your face into it

bad part is all the probes are shot so I have to get some more before I can really test it, but it turns on!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
are you sure its not a camera mount lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm sure of that, I can post pics tonight

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

flash chips are already susceptible to bit flips so they have error correcting codes, sometimes built in to hardware. http://www.cyclicdesign.com/index.php/parity-bytes/3-nandflash/24-hamming-rs-bch-ldpc-the-alphabet-soup-of-nand-ecc

yippee cahier fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 21, 2016

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Interesting paper I found and skimmed yesterday about the first ***on earth*** cosmic-ray-induced bit flips detected, in the Cray-1.

http://www.academia.edu/8348817/First_Record_of_Single-Event_Upset_on_Ground_Cray1_Computer_at_Los_Alamos_in_1976

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Oh yeah, I think cosmic rays aren't that uncommon. I know a guy who spent most of his time in graduate school measuring really weak optical signals using a pretty nice silicon camera. It took hours of measurement and integrating out noise to be able to see his signal, and he said that sometimes he could see blips in his spectra, ostensibly from cosmic rays.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I saw Chris Hadfield talk and he said that on the ISS one "space thing" is being in your cocoon trying to fall asleep and every now and again your closed eyes see a flash.

You're exposed to more radiation than on earth, which passes through you harmlessly but every now and again one goes through your optic nerve which your brain interprets as a "flash", like lightning.

The first astronauts experienced this to but didn't say a word at the time, until they eventually kind of asked one another and realized it was happening to all of them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats badass and cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

last night I picked up a tektronix 5115 storage scope with a 4 channel input, this crazy articulated cart for it (also from tektronix), a HeathKit ig-1275 function generator, a frickin million page manual and associated accessories for $40.

the best part is the scope has this head mount thing that lets you sear your retinas with pure oscilloscope vaporwave, by mounting it to the scope screen and pressing your face into it

bad part is all the probes are shot so I have to get some more before I can really test it, but it turns on!

Here she is in all her oldschool bakelite glory. Its got a 4-channel amp on it, as well as a differential amp and a time/base amp

I have no idea what that stuff does

Here is the cart articulatin away

Also it has this hood that is apparently anti-glare, and really works, it blocks 100% of the light, allowing you to perfectly absorb the vaporwave

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

what's the write endurance like on tsmc 40nm embedded flash?

e: they guarantee at least 10K

Spatial fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Spatial posted:

what's the write endurance like on tsmc 40nm embedded flash?

Hopefully at least as much as the spec on the data sheet?

MLC or SLC?

• Locked thread