Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Shangri-Law School posted:

I think Hillary's heart and plans are in the right place, but pushing her to go further is not a bad idea at all. Though that might not work if it seems like you're writing her off regardless. I really hope Kaep doesn't go down the "blow it all up" path. It's pretty much the opposite of how his protest is working.

I think Kaep is too far down the rabbit hole to blow it all up. It has people talking, which is a great thing. What worries me is it seems like it is creating more of a racial divide than anything else. That could be the narrative that the media and social media are pushing, but I dunno...it almost seems like it is making the divide between black people and white people even larger. These repeated cop killings sure don't help that though...

Also, I don't watch NCIS but I am almost done with "The Killing" on Netflix and it has taught me Seattle is a miserable place where it rains 28 hours a day and literally everyone smokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MrSargent posted:

You realize she is running for President and has to be very diplomatic with her statements right? This isn't a new thing for any candidate. If you actually researched her stances on issues that deal with racial inequality, why did you ask what her positions were instead of providing your criticism of those policies? What are some things that you think should be a part of a candidate's platform as it pertains to racial inequality?

Historically candidates don't start conservative and then veer radical once elected.

It's actually usually the opposite.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

weird Asian candy posted:

I think Kaep is too far down the rabbit hole to blow it all up. It has people talking, which is a great thing. What worries me is it seems like it is creating more of a racial divide than anything else. That could be the narrative that the media and social media are pushing, but I dunno...it almost seems like it is making the divide between black people and white people even larger. These repeated cop killings sure don't help that though...

Also, I don't watch NCIS but I am almost done with "The Killing" on Netflix and it has taught me Seattle is a miserable place where it rains 28 hours a day and literally everyone smokes.

There has always been that divide, we just got really good at ignoring it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Killing is really bad and you should check out The Fall instead if you want a brooding crime show that doesn't have a red herring every episode.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You are probably right...the light being shined on it is just brighter now ya think? It just seems like everyday there is something else that crops up and it suuuuuuuuucks

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Americans are very eager for that divide to disappear and often are willfully ignorant of evidence that it still exists. We elected a black president 8 years ago, passed the civil rights bill 50 yrs ago, ended slavery 150 years ago...how could racism still be alive?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Thats kind of the loving problem.

Other than disarming police officers like the British, I don't see how this case ends any differently. Taking away all of the cops guns would require first taking away most of the population's guns, because we can't have effective police if they are literally only bringing batons and tasers to actual gun fights.

This case separates itself from other unarmed shootings of black men because it would appear in this instance... this man wanted to cops to shoot him. There's just no other explanation for him pulling his hands up and assuming a shooting stance with an officer staring at him down the sights of a loaded pistol.

Non-compliance is one thing. Cops shouldn't be shooting people because they are non-compliant and the cop is nervous, like the poor dude in Oklahoma. These cases are dissimilar in a major way, and that seems to be the intent of the victim. One of them was frustrated and other was suicidal.

Still though, the major point remains, escalation of force; and whether the cop should have had his pistol drawn in the first place.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 28, 2016

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chichevache posted:

The Killing is really bad and you should check out The Fall instead if you want a brooding crime show that doesn't have a red herring every episode.

Whaddup The Fall friend? :hfive:

We did watch it, and loved it. Watched Bloodline too and loved it. We were looking for another murder mystery show so we checked out The Killing. The red head drives me insane, but we have so much time invested we have to finish it.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Historically candidates don't start conservative and then veer radical once elected.

Usually, but you have Obama and marriage equality, or LBJ and civil rights (deliberate on his part).

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not to mention that said divide has been a lot more amplified with social media

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

Other than disarming police officers like the British, I don't see how this case ends any differently. Taking away all of the cops guns would require first taking away most of the population's guns, because we can't have effective police if they are literally only bringing batons and tasers to actual gun fights.

This case separates itself from other unarmed shootings of black men because it would appear in this instance... this man wanted to cops to shoot him. There's just no other explanation for him pulling his hands up and assuming a shooting stance with an officer staring at him down the sight line of a loaded pistol.

Eh motive doesn't really matter unless he was actively trying to kill them, they still shouldn't have shot him. Though this one may be less racism and more our cops are trigger happy. Though race could have effected how afraid of him they were.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Whaddup The Fall friend? :hfive:

We did watch it, and loved it. Watched Bloodline too and loved it. We were looking for another murder mystery show so we checked out The Killing. The red head drives me insane, but we have so much time invested we have to finish it.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me. By the time I realized how much I hated the Killing I was so invested I just kept watching to finish it. The Fall was awesome and I'm glad you're already on it. Bloodlines was really good too.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh motive doesn't really matter unless he was actively trying to kill them, they still shouldn't have shot him. Though this one may be less racism and more our cops are trigger happy. Though race could have effected how afraid of him they were.

There's not a doubt in my mind about the truth of this statement.

"He looks like a real bad dude. He's probably on something."

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me. By the time I realized how much I hated the Killing I was so invested I just kept watching to finish it. The Fall was awesome and I'm glad you're already on it. Bloodlines was really good too.

The Fall is soooooo good! October 29th it is out on Netflix right? S3?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Fall is soooooo good! October 29th it is out on Netflix right? S3?

I had heard! Super excited! Gillian Anderson absolutely kills it in that show.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I like The Fall

It is cool and good and it has Scully

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I agree in general, but this issue is a part of a lot of public conversation right now and I don't see it going away with social media exposing the ongoing problems. That makes it more likely (not certain of course) that it will be given more attention by the POTUS. Can anyone actually tell me what they would want to see in terms of policy changes from the candidates and explain why it isn't insane to think Hillary and Donald are alike when it comes to the issue of racial inequality?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chilichimp posted:

This case separates itself from other unarmed shootings of black men because it would appear in this instance... this man wanted to cops to shoot him. There's just no other explanation for him pulling his hands up and assuming a shooting stance with an officer staring at him down the sights of a loaded pistol.

Non-compliance is one thing. Cops shouldn't be shooting people because they are non-compliant and the cop is nervous, like the poor dude in Oklahoma. These cases are dissimilar in a major way, and that seems to be the intent of the victim. One of them was frustrated and other was suicidal.

Still though, the major point remains, escalation of force; and whether the cop should have had his pistol drawn in the first place.

He's mentally ill, I don't think it's accurate to say he wants something based on his behavior since he's mentally ill

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MrSargent posted:

I agree in general, but this issue is a part of a lot of public conversation right now and I don't see it going away with social media exposing the ongoing problems. That makes it more likely (not certain of course) that it will be given more attention by the POTUS. Can anyone actually tell me what they would want to see in terms of policy changes from the candidates and explain why it isn't insane to think Hillary and Donald are alike when it comes to the issue of racial inequality?

At the very least Hillary Clinton understands that Stop and Frisk is a worthless police tactic that does nothing for public safety and fosters distrust among police and Black Americans.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

v2vian man posted:

He's mentally ill, I don't think it's accurate to say he wants something based on his behavior since he's mentally ill

Mentally ill might just mean depressed, which again plays into the suicide theory.

Either way, they probably shouldn't have drawn on him, as it's an unnecessary escalation.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he wants to slash prices. 40% off cars that are practically brand new. mentally ill eddie

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Donald Trump wants to round up and deport every illegal immigrant in the united states. Hilary Clinton is not likely to do anything about their presence here, nor is she likely to attempt to reform immigration policy. I'd prefer she handle the second bit, but at least she's not threatening to round up and deport people who've lived here since they were babies and know no home but America, because "they are criminals who broke the law."

Donald Trump will likely pursue discriminatory immigration policy to preclude Muslims from entering the United States. Hilary Clinton will probably not do this.

Donald Trump is from the camp that thinks BLM is horseshit and that Black People should feel proud to be poo poo on by whites, get jobs, and stay the gently caress quiet. Hilary Clinton has at least acknowledged the movement. Whether she intends to do anything about unfair treatment of blacks by the police is something altogether different, but at least she won't be furthering rhetoric to downplay or destroy the movement.

Then there is the basic argument of... which party is more likely to further racial equality, presidential candidates aside?

As far as I can tell, the only really scathing indictment of Hilary re:Black Americans is her promotion of mandatory minimums in the 90's which she now admits was a mistake.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 28, 2016

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
gently caress. My heart is just killing me over this.

Dudes loving mentally ill and clueless about any of this and he's dead. No reset. No tomorrow. And some piece of poo poo questions if he was a true terror? gently caress.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
People talk about officers putting their lives on the line every day but that's starting to ring hollow when every fart and sneeze ends up with citizens full of bullet holes.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Like poo poo what justification is there for shooting at that social worker in Florida laying on his back with his hands in the air screaming about how the dude next to him is just a mentally deficient guy with a toy truck

Like gently caress what's the loving justification

What is it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Like poo poo what justification is there for shooting at that social worker in Florida laying on his back with his hands in the air screaming about how the dude next to him is just a mentally deficient guy with a toy truck

What is it

He wasn't close enough to hear him saying please don't shoot the other guy, he doesn't have a gun and is playing with a toy truck. Then he got scared of the truck, and shot at the other guy but hit him, because they are professionals.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Like poo poo what justification is there for shooting at that social worker in Florida laying on his back with his hands in the air screaming about how the dude next to him is just a mentally deficient guy with a truck

What is it

that's the example that always gets me.

the most baffling part was that the officer claimed to be shooting to kill the guy wielding said toy truck whilst making truck noises.

...and he'll likely never recover.

CNN posted:

While Rios was not shot, his injuries go much deeper, his family said.
"The next day, he was so upset, he was so devastated, he went right back to where Mr. Kinsey was shot," said attorney Matthew Dietz, who represents the family.
"Where there was blood on the street and he started pounding the ground, and crying and shouting."
Rios was transferred to a psychiatric home after he returned to the scene of the shooting, according to Dietz.
Dietz said since Rios cannot talk and only says a few words, he has no outlet to address what happened that day.
"His injuries are long lasting because he does not have a method to deal with them," the attorney said.
"If this police department had adequate training, this would not have happened," Dietz said. "... They should have known we may have a person with autism."
The family said Rios needs therapy, but instead is in a psychiatric hospital.
"They are trying to blame it on him, like he was suicidal or was trying to hurt Charles," his sister Miriam Rios said at a news conference Friday. But Rios considered Kinsey a father figure, and has asked about him regularly.
Kinsey was treated and released Thursday, days after the incident.
"He's still traumatized, he's having night terrors," Rios' sister said. "He's not sleeping, he's not eating. He's not the same anymore."
Since the shooting, his sister said, he's still wearing the same blood-splattered clothes he had on that day.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 28, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

People talk about officers putting their lives on the line every day but that's starting to ring hollow when every fart and sneeze ends up with citizens full of bullet holes.

This...

To be fair, it started to ring hollow for me when I found out that lawn maintenance workers have a higher risk of death than police officers.

Spoeank posted:

What is it

When questioned by the victim as to why he was shot by the officer, the officer's reply was, "I don't know."

hth

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 28, 2016

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Spoeank posted:

Cool thanks.

Well he's not wrong...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

Well he's not wrong...

You are both wrong. It's a fine show. It takes TV tech trolling to new heights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

CSI: Cyber? TURN LEFT, HOLLYWOOD!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

NCIS somehow gets closer than just about every other show...which is very, very sad.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kirios posted:

NCIS somehow gets closer than just about every other show...which is very, very sad.

Which is why Mr. Robot is so very refreshing.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Y'know...I've got a couple of sysadmins I work with that swear by that show. I really should just sit down and watch it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

What is it

There is no justification.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Chichevache posted:

There is no justification.

"Black people make me nervous, and I can't* say why."

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

You are probably right...the light being shined on it is just brighter now ya think? It just seems like everyday there is something else that crops up and it suuuuuuuuucks

For white people, sure, but none of this is really new for the black community. There's an inherent trust in police decision making and benefit of the doubt given to their actions that has allowed systemic racism to fester unchecked since pretty much forever. It needs to be challenged and that's really only happening now because the means to record and share the deadly interactions black people have with police makes it harder and harder to dismiss.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hey that picture of that guy that was just murdered by the police came from video shot by a witness. The cops selected that frame despite other witnesses saying he wasn't holding anything and his hands were often up. Big surprise the full video hasn't been released! Don't trust the loving cops.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 28, 2016

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Don't trust the loving cops.

I never do. NWA for life.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

a month ago some coworker told me a bunch of cops were outside checking out my car. a officer fed me some bullshit that my car matched a description of car they were looking for.

Like normally i trust cops, but there was something super weird and off-putting about the whole thing.

I made sure as gently caress to check my car for anything, even while the officers were standing outside, I know the stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hot Diggity! posted:

Hey that picture of that guy that was just murdered by the police came from video shot by a witness. The cops selected that frame despite other witnesses saying he wasn't holding anything and his hands were often up. Big surprise the full video hasn't been released! Don't trust the loving cops.

Figures.

• Locked thread