Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I hope it comes to PC, but I don't really have my hopes up. They should port Demon Souls too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maleh-Vor posted:

I hope it comes to PC, but I don't really have my hopes up. They should port Demon Souls too.

Considering the amount of sales that Sony could get by publishing both on Steam is kind of crazy that they will never do that. Even if they think that people will pirate the games (bad excuse) they're missing thousands of potential sales.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sony's japan studio also had a big part in developing both bb and des. i've heard bb's dlc was pretty much all them though i don't know where that came from

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

From should poach the sony guy who did the dlc weapons

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

only way bloodborne or demon's souls are coming to pc is if sony find themselves in a position where they have to. they want you to buy their box tho and people are doing just that so they have no incentive to allow from to put it out on a separate platform

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
good thing sony only releases one good game for their boxes or othervise id actually be motivated to buy it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The only reason bloodborne exists is because sony wants you to buy a ps4 for it

it will never come to pc

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Internet Kraken posted:

The loving sword doesn't even work against other giants.

This disappointed me as well. It's a wasted storytelling opportunity too, what if it was really good against another type of enemy, implying that enemy was somehow related to Yhorm or the giants?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
There is a PS3 streaming service on PC. It's not inconceivable that it will one day have Demon Souls or maybe even Bloodborne.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm on PS4. Can someone hokey me up with the medicant staff from the man serpent summoner? Need that sunlight shield.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

code:
Tycho's ship has been destroyed. The
crater where it annihilated itself on
Lh'owon's inner moon is still glowing.
There were no survivors. With a focused
message laser I burned his epitaph into the
surface near the crash site, in letters
three hundred meters high: "git gud scrub"

This is my headcannon now.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bloodborne is one of the very few games worth buying a console for

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Can someone clarify scaling and infusions for me?

I'm doing a kind of Melee Pyromancer and I'm at 30 Int/30 Fth right now and I want to start focusing more on melee combat. If I'm using something like Dragonslayer's Axe (I know it's not great, I just think it looks ~cool~) do I just want Faith (for lightning damage) and some Strength (for regular scaling)? Also, if I infuse it, how does that change the scaling? Does the Lightning damage disappear if I infuse it Raw? If I infuse it Lightning do I get extra lightning damage? Does the lightning damage go away if I cast something like Carthus Flame Arc on it?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I'm doing a kind of Melee Pyromancer and I'm at 30 Int/30 Fth right now and I want to start focusing more on melee combat. If I'm using something like Dragonslayer's Axe (I know it's not great, I just think it looks ~cool~) do I just want Faith (for lightning damage) and some Strength (for regular scaling)? Also, if I infuse it, how does that change the scaling? Does the Lightning damage disappear if I infuse it Raw? If I infuse it Lightning do I get extra lightning damage? Does the lightning damage go away if I cast something like Carthus Flame Arc on it?

there's two types of elemental infusions. one completely removes whatever ability scaling the weapon previously had and adds a half-assed amount of elemental damage. the other kind of elemental infusion tanks whatever scaling the weapon originally had (but doesn't completely remove it) and replaces it with some quarter-assed amount of elemental damage.

typically it makes the most sense to put an elemental enchantment on a weapon that already does elemental damage so that you're getting as much of the elemental damage out of the pairing as possible (hence people putting lighnting on the dragonslayer axe). also, weapons that do 2 damage types are already at a disadvantage relative to single damage type weapons, because both damage types will get resisted separately by whatever you're hitting, rather than just the one reduction on a single damage type weapon. for that reason, it's also not generally advisable to enchant a 2 damage type weapon with a third separate damage type, because now all 3 damage types get resisted separately and your actual damage output goes to poo poo.

that's just in general though; you really have to look at the DS3 wiki and comb through the weapons you might want to use, because some weapons have weird scaling results where making a non-obvious infusion actually makes the weapon better (for example, a Sharp infusion on some strength weapons actually deals more damage than the Heavy infusion, even with comparable stat distributions). the issue is that the devs decided to hand-code the infusion scaling outcomes per weapon, so it's not as simple to predict as DS2 how an infusion will work for every given weapon.

anyway, if you're going to be a caster with only the minimal STR/DEX to wield your weapons, then your best bet is Astora Straight Sword with a Raw infusion (hence the infamous RAW rear end). Raw completely removes the weapon's innate scaling but gives a decent bump to the weapon's flat damage, and as a caster you aren't likely to get much, if any, benefit out of your weapon's innate scaling, so the Raw enchantment is a net gain. the rear end is just a weapon that has lovely scaling innately, so you aren't losing almost anything with the Raw infusion; it's also a 1H straight sword so it can literally carry you through the entire game if you want it to.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Freaking Crumbum posted:

it's not as simple to predict as DS2 how an infusion will work for every given weapon.

They did the same thing in DS2, they were just somewhat more consistent about it to the point you had to wonder why they bothered.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Dragonslayer's Axe is actually great, and doesn't benefit much from heavy stat investment. It doesn't scale with Faith at all (unless you infuse it with lightning, but see below), and won't benefit much from a modest bump to your strength.

Infusion changes scaling depending on what sort of infusion you choose, so you'll need to make that question more specific.

Raw infusion will not remove or reduce the lightning damage of the Dragonslayer's Axe. Raw is probably the best option for your build, as it will increase the physical damage to an amount similar to what you'd get with heavy stat investment while allowing you to allocate those levels to your casting stats or HP.

Lightning will modestly increase the lightning damage (210 -> 233 at +10) and add some faith scaling that will further increase the lightning damage, but severely cuts the physical damage (210 -> 99) and reduces the scaling as well. You will do less damage if you infuse it with lightning.

The lightning damage won't go away if you use Carthus Flame Arc, but mixed damage types don't work well due to having to go through additional defenses. Lightning blade is what you want to buff it with.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
For Dragonslayer's Axe raw, heavy and refined are all good infusions depending on your build. Im of the opinion that faith is very good with high STR too so its a decent weapon for a str/faith build. Even if you dont have faith for lightining blade its pretty good with just lightning resin.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Wolnir's not a giant, he's just a dude and that's probably his skull that the cup is made of. The whole fight is some spiritual limbo where he's clinging to the light as the abyss gnaws away, he's not an actual giant skeleton (unfortunately.)

The whole Yhorm descended from a conqueror thing (along with the cinematic) suggests that he was gonna be one of the DS2 sphincter face giants but for reasons they walked that back. I wonder if that has to do with the Profaned Capital being an unfinished nothing but.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I like the suggestion that the Dark Souls 2 giants are just hollowed, and that's why their face is the way it is and they turn into trees. It's a bit like the Darksign but because Giants don't have Humanity naturally hollowing manifests differently or something. This game does have hollows suggested to be turning into trees or tree-like objects in the High Wall area.

Yhorm never hollowed so his face is normal. Wolnir's skull being the cup is a bit weird in my head because a great conqueror makes skulls into cups he does not have his skull made into a cup, but him also being the biggest character ever doesn't fit either.

Also if you consider the fact that it's entirely possible Dark Souls II is actually a pocket dimension created by Nashandra then perhaps in the real world Jeigh won and conquered Drangleic, which leads into Yhorm being his descendant. But that's a very out there theory even for the whole time and space are strange thing the games have normally so it's unlikely.

Then again my current theory is that this game was caused by Ludleth actually straight up re-writing history when the flame went out to give more time for the flame to be ignited.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also if you consider the fact that it's entirely possible Dark Souls II is actually a pocket dimension created by Nashandra

Huh? Is there anything to back this?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Elman posted:

Huh? Is there anything to back this?

The opening scene and maybe that one covenant where you end up fighting the Abyss Angel thing, the second one just because it suggests there's something very off about the world. You jump into a giant swirling Abyss portal to arrive in things betwixt which is a mass of trees and land in a shadowy void, in fact it kind of looks visually similar to how you arrive in Wolnir's boss-fight, you approach something and it turns into a mass of shadowy disgusting slime. It's a pretty out there suggestion but it's not entirely impossible, and it would certainly explain a bunch about the more weird transitions beyond just you losing memories of travel. Nashandra didn't actually visit every part of Drangleic personally so it's put together how she thinks it should be, and as a Child of the Abyss her concepts of space aren't quite right.

You can spot the Darklurker and the Dark Chasm of Old from somewhere in Drangleic Castle, which is probably just an error in game design but also might be pointing out that everything is in the Abyss. The Dark Chasm of Old is just not shaped by Nashandra and instead as it was when Manus was whole.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 28, 2016

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's a pretty out there suggestion but it's not entirely impossible
cmon, if you're already completely free wheeling at least make up something more exciting than "t'was all but a dream/hallucination/parallel universe"

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

I don't think it's hugely out there to suggest that Drangleic might be separated from the world of Lordran and Lothric by more than just physical space. You have to travel through a great big vortex to get there, and when you do it's a very dreamlike place in tone, content and non-continuous world structure. And even within the game you explicitly travel into dream spaces.

Faux Mulder fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 28, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It is separated by the greatest most impassable boundary of all: Not Canon.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Are you implying Nashander is Dio Brando?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord_Magmar posted:

You can spot the Darklurker and the Dark Chasm of Old from somewhere in Drangleic Castle, which is probably just an error in game design but also might be pointing out that everything is in the Abyss. The Dark Chasm of Old is just not shaped by Nashandra and instead as it was when Manus was whole.

Really? Where?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Really? Where?

I might not be remembering it correctly but it's in the Chasm in Drangleic Castle. Which either means I'm wrong and it's actually seen in the Dark Chasm of Old or it's in the cave that leads to the covenant. Either way it's probably a poorly placed wall more than some deep lore meaning.

I haven't seen it myself I've just seen other people's pictures of it. As I returned my copy of DS2 so as to get 3 before I knew about it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is there a reason to stay at SL120 besides metalording? Is SL120 just for pvp and nothing else?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

lite_sleepr posted:

Is there a reason to stay at SL120 besides metalording? Is SL120 just for pvp and nothing else?

No and yes respectively.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I see.

Why don't I get summoned as a bluecop? Darkmoon or Sentinels. Nothing.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I feel like the meta should be higher in ds3 because it throws around souls like candy. I hit 120 on my first character without grinding at all. By the time you're on NG+ or ++, there's nothing left to spend your souls on and you're drowning in them. Specifically it should be higher to allow everyone to pay the fashion tax to 30 or so

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

I see.

Lack of candidates and the matchmaking for blues is broken for most people

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lite_sleepr posted:

I see.

No one wears the covenant item at 120

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Do I need to start way earlier?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lite_sleepr posted:

Do I need to start way earlier?

10-20 seems to be the sweetspot yeah

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

do you need to do darkmoon cov to get all rings?

this is like that goddamn hidden weapon spell that you could only get via the bellringing covenant. brutality

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I don't know why I want it, I just do. I really like the loud mouth-breathing waifu Yorshka.

She's a large woman dragon hybrid who sits in a chair her whole life, and doesn't do anything about it. She even asks if you're a creature of the air because she doesn't know anything :(

Hey, if you're supposed to do Darkmoon stuff between levels 10 - 20, how are you supposed to make it all the way to Annor Londo at that level to join the covenant? Blue Sentinels get the same concords, so can you turn in concords earned as a blue sentinel instead?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 29, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This is why I don't platinum stuff ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bloodborne was a relatively easy Platinum as you don't mind save-scumming for all three endings. Or playing through it three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Bloodborne was a relatively easy Platinum as you don't mind save-scumming for all three endings. Or playing through it three times.
The chalice dungeon related trophies are the real time sinks.