Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Colonel posted:

tales of the abyss is my favorite tales game, it isn't. asch is pretty angsty i guess but the main character's entire progression after act 1 is learning to be more calm and accepting and live with his own mistakes

At which point he remains mired in self-loathing and proposes self-termination every six hours or so, to the party's consternation.

Your opinions on ToA aside, it is absolutely chockablock with angst and melodrama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

bloodychill posted:

The way people talk about Tales of Abyss, it sounds like angsty protagonist: the game.

I don't know about Abyss, but I couldn't stomach more than 45 minutes of the protagonist at the beginning of Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Oxxidation posted:

At which point he remains mired in self-loathing and proposes self-termination every six hours or so, to the party's consternation.

Your opinions on ToA aside, it is absolutely chockablock with angst and melodrama.

the entirety of act 3 of tales of the abyss is about people telling him that sacrificing himself is a hosed up, horrible idea

act 3 of tales of the abyss is about luke realizing that he's not human trash and does, in fact, deserve to live a good life with everyone else

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 28, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World flashes back to itself before you first gain control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X59i3RkutbA

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I read the l.p. of last remnant and was impressed by how unangsty the hero ends up being.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FanaticalMilk posted:

I don't know about Abyss, but I couldn't stomach more than 45 minutes of the protagonist at the beginning of Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

It's an awful game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

The characters in Xenoblade aren't angsty, unless your definition of angst is pretty different to mine. They get angry because a bunch of flying super robots attack their town and kill a load of people, but that's not the same thing

I feel like people only remember like the first 5 hours of Xenoblade and not Shulk's serious angsty depression that culminates in his refusing to kill the villain because he's learned to move past revenge and embrace the power of friendship.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the entirety of act 3 of tales of the abyss is about people telling him that sacrificing himself is a hosed up, horrible idea

act 3 of tales of the abyss is about luke realizing that he's not human trash and does, in fact, deserve to live a good life with everyone else

Most of Act 2 has that happening too, but it doesn't change the fact that he's still constantly proposing it. And that's alongside the soap-opera backstories of nearly every other character in the game. Even the cuddly mascot accidentally killed a bunch of his own people and made himself a pariah a week or so before joining the party.

Tales of the Abyss is decent but I think it gets a little too much praise because the Tales series is, on the whole, pretty frigging awful and ToA is one of the few entries that feels like a complete, thoughtful product. It's still got a bunch of stuff that's hard to like, nonetheless.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zore posted:

Everyone in II, III and IV? :psyduck:

II- Mina turning into a Bird so Nina doesn't have to, thus losing her sanity. Rand's mother sacrificing her life for the party. Sten's entire backstory is a ball of PTSD and angst. Spar being the only tree person in the world because most of them were murdered and he was a carnival attraction...

like there's a lot

We must have a completely different definition of Teenage Angst because like, other than maybe Rei in 3 I can't think of any in 3 or 4. (I don't even recall Rei that much because he's kind of entirely forgettable)

4 is more people being angry at all the awful poo poo going on than anything.

I don't recall that much about 2 other than it having a terrible translation, like tons of terrible poo poo happens to people but bad poo poo happening != teenage angst.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxxidation posted:

Most of Act 2 has that happening too, but it doesn't change the fact that he's still constantly proposing it. And that's alongside the soap-opera backstories of nearly every other character in the game. Even the cuddly mascot accidentally killed a bunch of his own people and made himself a pariah a week or so before joining the party.

Tales of the Abyss is decent but I think it gets a little too much praise because the Tales series is, on the whole, pretty frigging awful and ToA is one of the few entries that feels like a complete, thoughtful product. It's still got a bunch of stuff that's hard to like, nonetheless.

Actually most Tales games are pretty good apart from notable exceptions and Abyss is one of the better ones.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
most tales games are not tales of the tempest

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Actually most Tales games are pretty good apart from notable exceptions and Abyss is one of the better ones.

Nearly every entry has been some variety of janky, undercooked, or unfinished. Abyss and Symphonia seem to be complete, and Vesperia lucked out because its major piece of cut/dummied content was something the game was really better off without (Patty), but it takes at least a little masochism to enjoy most of the others. Maybe this only applies to the 3D entries, I never touched anything before Symphonia.

Still looking forward to Berseria though, apparently it's supposed to be the most complete entry since Vesperia.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And yet they're still good and fun games and far away from being 'friggin awful'

Also the only ones that really applies to are the end of Xillia and all of Zestiria.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of graces f has one of the most fun battle systems in any rpg ever made, how do you have to be a masochist to have fun with a game that is fun to play

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zore posted:

II- Mina turning into a Bird so Nina doesn't have to, thus losing her sanity. Rand's mother sacrificing her life for the party. Sten's entire backstory is a ball of PTSD and angst. Spar being the only tree person in the world because most of them were murdered and he was a carnival attraction...

like there's a lot
Nina isn't that bad in III, mostly because she is a princess who wins in the end while running from slavers, with Ryu and Rei. Rei does undergo puberty and gets over himself when the final boss pulls some poo poo about racial superiority. Gets a girlfriend when he gets over acting cool all the time and being oblivious to her feelings. The tragic backstory in that game was hosed up, but Teepo is the only one who has any lasting problems he couldn't shed, being the slave to the killer of his people. I guess the NPCs who are immortal, are the lasting angsty ones, most of them wanting you to kill them for their past deeds, in glorious combat.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 28, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think you really need to be a masochist to enjoy a game whose flaw is 'the ending is a bit rushed."

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Zore posted:

like there's a lot

i'll bite

where is it in iii and iv?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Colonel posted:

tales of graces f has one of the most fun battle systems in any rpg ever made, how do you have to be a masochist to have fun with a game that is fun to play

This. The story isn't great but the characters themselves are fun enough to salvage it anyways.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxxidation posted:

Nearly every entry has been some variety of janky, undercooked, or unfinished. Abyss and Symphonia seem to be complete, and Vesperia lucked out because its major piece of cut/dummied content was something the game was really better off without (Patty), but it takes at least a little masochism to enjoy most of the others. Maybe this only applies to the 3D entries, I never touched anything before Symphonia.

Still looking forward to Berseria though, apparently it's supposed to be the most complete entry since Vesperia.

Which ones have you actually played?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

i'll bite

where is it in iii and iv?

Wait. You're asking where the angst is in BoFIV? BoF "My sister was turned into a horrifying abomination of nature" IV? BoF "literally has a giant gun powered by human sacrifice" IV?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Said giant gun fucks over the environment as badly as in the movie Nausicaa, with every shot, to reinforce the authority of the Emperor.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think jrpg teens usually have pretty good reasons for being angsty

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Wait. You're asking where the angst is in BoFIV? BoF "My sister was turned into a horrifying abomination of nature" IV? BoF "literally has a giant gun powered by human sacrifice" IV?

I guess I don't even understand what angst is supposed to mean because terrible poo poo happening to people isn't angst as far as I know. I guess I'm getting confused with mopey emo characters like Squall who are just loving obnoxious for no reason, as opposed to characters like Fou Lu or Cray who are just loving pissed and for good reason.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lets hang out posted:

pretty much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I guess I don't even understand what angst is supposed to mean because terrible poo poo happening to people isn't angst as far as I know. I guess I'm getting confused with mopey emo characters like Squall who are just loving obnoxious for no reason, as opposed to characters like Fou Lu or Cray who are just loving pissed and for good reason.

Most characters who are angsty are angsty for a reason.

I mean Squall is a literal child soldier abandoned by his father, sister, mother adoptive mother and kinda-sorta adoptive father. He doesn't have memories of them but he has the mass complexes that comes from being abandoned and forgotten and he mopes because he's scared and has nobody he can turn to for help. It's obnoxious but he has an actual in-game reason for being the way he is. You can argue how well-written it is (FF8 is helluva not well written) but he's got as much reason to be depressed and unhappy as you can reasonably give a guy.

It's pretty rare for a character to be mopey for no reason. It's more that it depends on how likable they are that you'll accept when they start getting introspective or depressed.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Common usage refers to being upset about trivial poo poo, but the like literary definition or whatever is more like existential dread.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I think when you let it fester instead of dealing with it, it becomes angst, which is why it might apply to Shion or Teepo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought Shion only acted that way because the sex was amazing and now he is dead.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

lets hang out posted:

The quality of their reasons does not make angst good or interesting.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's ok for a character to have feelings on things

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And there are plenty of those to have!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

cool av

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ImpAtom posted:

they were pretty optimistic about it until they discovered the truth, and even then they take it with a certain degree of 'well we know what needs to be done'. my assumption about angst was that you meant the characters were brooding, dark, and disturbed from the events. i had not assumed you meant 'the events in those games are sometimes very dark and horrifying'

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

marshmallow creep posted:

I read the l.p. of last remnant and was impressed by how unangsty the hero ends up being.

Still the game I want to replay the most every year but can never find the time. Wish we'd get the PC release on PS4 or something.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

hubris.height posted:

they were pretty optimistic about it until they discovered the truth, and even then they take it with a certain degree of 'well we know what needs to be done'. my assumption about angst was that you meant the characters were brooding, dark, and disturbed from the events. i had not assumed you meant 'the events in those games are sometimes very dark and horrifying'

That's the perspective I was coming from too. For a game full of so much :smith: the characters keep their spirits up pretty well. Fou Lu is kind of a different story but I don't think anyone blames him.

ImpAtom posted:

Most characters who are angsty are angsty for a reason.

I mean Squall is a literal child soldier abandoned by his father, sister, mother adoptive mother and kinda-sorta adoptive father. He doesn't have memories of them but he has the mass complexes that comes from being abandoned and forgotten and he mopes because he's scared and has nobody he can turn to for help. It's obnoxious but he has an actual in-game reason for being the way he is. You can argue how well-written it is (FF8 is helluva not well written) but he's got as much reason to be depressed and unhappy as you can reasonably give a guy.

It's pretty rare for a character to be mopey for no reason. It's more that it depends on how likable they are that you'll accept when they start getting introspective or depressed.

... Whatever.

But seriously though that's fair. I honestly forgot about most of his backstory because frankly I try to avoid thinking about FF8 too much. :downs:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's the perspective I was coming from too. For a game full of so much :smith: the characters keep their spirits up pretty well. Fou Lu is kind of a different story but I don't think anyone blames him.

fou lu would make a better arguement for angst, because he's the dark god of death and he needs to eliminate all humans

i would have agreed with that sentiment wholeheartedly

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i wanted to like the last remnant but man i really cannot stand all the obfuscated mechanics. i guess saga games just arent for me

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Anyway Earthlock is out now:

This looks pretty good.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Stexils posted:

i wanted to like the last remnant but man i really cannot stand all the obfuscated mechanics. i guess saga games just arent for me

the trick is to not really care about them

its hard for me too though because i always like to 'game' the system.

my problem with last remnant was more the incomprehensible story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

hubris.height posted:

fou lu would make a better arguement for angst, because he's the dark god of death and he needs to eliminate all humans

i would have agreed with that sentiment wholeheartedly
So is Ryu being the god of death.