Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Since I didn't get the expensive one, I'm actually kind of thinking of not expensing this one and getting them to buy me one next year in case there's an awesome revamp.

Though tbh I'm not sure what else I'd want in a watch other than the annual cpu/ram upgrade. Probably battery all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, the next big thing will probably multi-day battery life. I'd say always-on display, but thinking about it seems like having your wrist always lit up would be obnoxious even with lowered brightness.

Maybe a camera for (lovely) facetime calls because, c'mon, we gotta go full Dick Tracy.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I don't think the watch will be on a 1 year refresh, seems likely that it will be 18mo/2yr

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Frankly, I'm not upgrading until they add Pencil support.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

Yeah, the next big thing will probably multi-day battery life. I'd say always-on display, but thinking about it seems like having your wrist always lit up would be obnoxious even with lowered brightness.

Maybe a camera for (lovely) facetime calls because, c'mon, we gotta go full Dick Tracy.

always on display is not as nice as it sounds. I had a pebble, I would be talking to people and whatever message I get shows up on the watch. Nice thing about the Apple Watch is that it only shows when I am looking at it. Personally I think that's fine. Any time I glance at it the screen immediately lights up anyway.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

rage-saq posted:

I don't think the watch will be on a 1 year refresh, seems likely that it will be 18mo/2yr
Probably. You can see that iPad iterations have been slowing down, with this year just being a smaller Pro.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Yeah, the one year thing was a slip -- definitely meant the "next" iteration. This one is really nice but it just "feels" like a stopgap where they're cramming in features without the battery to support it. Sleep monitoring incoming? Enjoy frantically charging your watch at work between getting up from your desk.

Don't get me wrong, really excited to get my AWS2 -- waterproofing and GPS will be awesome for kayaking and jogging, and my car doesn't have a fancy bluetooth stereo so it'll be nice to be able to switch tracks without reaching down and swatting my phone hoping I don't get a ticket for distracted driving.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Martytoof posted:

and my car doesn't have a fancy bluetooth stereo so it'll be nice to be able to switch tracks without reaching down and swatting my phone hoping I don't get a ticket for distracted driving.

Uh, I would advise against that. At least to me, doing anything on the watch is just about as distracting as doing stuff on the phone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zwille posted:

Uh, I would advise against that. At least to me, doing anything on the watch is just about as distracting as doing stuff on the phone.

I didn't mean swiping at my watch with a hand, but if I try to yell "Hey Siri play XYZ" at my phone, which is sitting next to my shifter and obscured by the vibration of being in contact with a moving car as well as trying to recognize my voice over loud music -- that's much less likely to succeed than me raising my watch to my face and telling her to play something else.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Ahhhh. Glad to hear that. :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zwille posted:

Ahhhh. Glad to hear that. :)

Yeah, using the watch to switch tracks by hand is arguably worse than using my phone (which I can do one handed) since I'd have to take my hands off the wheel entirely :suicide:

... so not arguably worse at all. Much worse.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Rorus Raz posted:

Probably. You can see that iPad iterations have been slowing down, with this year just being a smaller Pro.

The big iPad hasn't been out a year yet. They could still refresh it in November, and I think they will.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wow, the iPhones 7 actually beat the iPad Pro 12.9 in Geekbench multi-core. I expected single-core, but that's impressive.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It also beat the highest-end Mac Pro for single-core performance. There have been rumors about the Mac switching to their own A-Series type chip. The iPhone 7 scores seem to indicate that change may happen sooner rather than later.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tatumje posted:

It also beat the highest-end Mac Pro for single-core performance. There have been rumors about the Mac switching to their own A-Series type chip. The iPhone 7 scores seem to indicate that change may happen sooner rather than later.
This looks to be true, but the 12-core Mac Pro is (obviously) designed pretty specifically for cases where more cores are more useful than faster cores. The quad-core model (clocked a full 1 GHz faster) still beats the A11, and it's a several-year old CPU (lol good job Apple).

Not to say it's impossible Apple would switch to ARM systems for their computers, but I think it's pretty unlikely for anything other than the MacBook for a number of reasons.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I know it's a misleading figure. I just thought we were at least five years away from the inevitable transition from Intel. I think it may be a lot sooner. If they really blow it out of the park with a larger CPU, they could start the transition within a year.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Biodome posted:

The big iPad hasn't been out a year yet. They could still refresh it in November, and I think they will.
I could see it happening, if only to change the home button and add the new taptic engine.

And remove the 3.5mm jack :getin:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Rorus Raz posted:

I think I prefer the Pebble's UI as a whole to the Apple Watch, and of course sleeping tracking is way more feasible on the Pebble. After a week on the Watch I'm already giving up on sleep tracking when just plopping just watch on its charging every night is easier than having to remember to charge in the morning/afternoon. I'll miss the silent alarm though.

What do you mean? AW doesn't have a silent vibration timer/alarm?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

What do you mean? AW doesn't have a silent vibration timer/alarm?
If you put the watch on silent mode, the alarm just does a haptic and makes no noise. I really like it because it's effective at waking me up, and I don't have to wake up my roomate who works nights and is usually asleep when I'm getting up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The alarm still makes noise in silent mode if the watch is on it's charger in nightstand mode.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Which is why I specifically was referring to missing the alarm when I sleep with the watch on.

Haptic alarm when the watch is off wouldn't even make sense

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Rorus Raz posted:

I could see it happening, if only to change the home button and add the new taptic engine.

And remove the 3.5mm jack :getin:

I'm thinking they'll add the true tone display thing from the little one and improve the cameras but that's a discussion for a different thread.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Picked up a Series 1 today... I really should've looked and checked that the stainless steel link band was Four Hundred and Forty Nine loving Dollars beforehand. I guess Milanese loop will do, although I am more satisfied with the default sport band than I thought I'd be.

Actually, are there any suitable third party metal link bands worth buying that aren't hyper price inflated?

The watch is pretty cool. I honestly only wanted it to unlock the full functionality of iOS' Health app, but a small part of my CS tech nerd sensibility just wanted something new to play with.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

enojy posted:

Picked up a Series 1 today... I really should've looked and checked that the stainless steel link band was Four Hundred and Forty Nine loving Dollars beforehand. I guess Milanese loop will do, although I am more satisfied with the default sport band than I thought I'd be.

Actually, are there any suitable third party metal link bands worth buying that aren't hyper price inflated?

The watch is pretty cool. I honestly only wanted it to unlock the full functionality of iOS' Health app, but a small part of my CS tech nerd sensibility just wanted something new to play with.
Someone earlier posted that Best Buy was clearing out the first gen stainless watch w/link band for $250 or something? There's a crapload of link bands that are in the $50-100 range or even way less I think, including knockoffs.

Hell if I know which are good since I don't think Amazon reviews on a lot of that stuff is trustworthy, there tends to be a lot of "I received this product for free in exchange for a fair review" BS, or listings are all weird cause different products get swapped in and out within the same product listing. I think MacRumors forums and presumably Reddit have a bunch of :spergin: people that would probably be better leads on that stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've posted it before, but there's plenty of knockoffs on Amazon, though I'll say the one I got is pretty horrible and pinchy but I don't know if that's a link bracelet thing or just the cheap Chinese knockoff I got.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

enojy posted:

I've ordered this exact one and had it for 6 months and its just as good as the real one my brother has, they are indistinguishable. iirc this one is based on the "4th gen" clone design out of china https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C8NG2VW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've heard this one is based on the slightly updated "5th gen" clone design and its got an 18 month warranty, so I'd probably go this way if I did it again https://www.amazon.com/OULUOQI-Stainless-Bracelet-Butterfly-Closure/dp/B01CHYHI88/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1471398639&sr=8-5

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Moko seems to be the closest thing to a name brand among knockoffs.

I've got their $6 sport bands and my mom wears a few of their $15 Milanese loops. Both are good enough that I can't imagine paying Apple prices

They've got link bracelets that the Internet loves, but they just ran a big sale on Amazon and stock is cleaned out.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Tapping the screen doesn't always wake it and it pisses me off. Plus doesn't your just randomly turn on when you use your wrist?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

rear end Catchcum posted:

Tapping the screen doesn't always wake it and it pisses me off. Plus doesn't your just randomly turn on when you use your wrist?

Tap more firmly or just use the side button, I guess.

I get a few false-wakes with "raise," but whatever. I still finish the day with 50% battery.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rage-saq posted:

I've ordered this exact one and had it for 6 months and its just as good as the real one my brother has, they are indistinguishable. iirc this one is based on the "4th gen" clone design out of china https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C8NG2VW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've heard this one is based on the slightly updated "5th gen" clone design and its got an 18 month warranty, so I'd probably go this way if I did it again https://www.amazon.com/OULUOQI-Stainless-Bracelet-Butterfly-Closure/dp/B01CHYHI88/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1471398639&sr=8-5

Awesome, thanks! I've spent the last hour scouring Amazon and eBay, and it's honestly kind of scary -- I generally ignore the tons of 5-star reviews and only look out for 1-star reviews, most of which are along the lines of "IT BROKE IN 5 MINUTES" and of course, that'd be awful in any scenario.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have been considering buying an Apple Watch, but not really sure if it's right for me? I have just an iPad Pro and a Android phone. Apple seems to exclusively market the watch for people who work out, but no one on this site works out, so what are you doing with your watches?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
You need an iPhone for it to function.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

You need an iPhone for it to function.

It literally won't work in anyway shape or form without an iphone?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I said come in! posted:

It literally won't work in anyway shape or form without an iphone?

It'll power on, but won't tell the time. So yeah, basically no. It's really a companion device for an iPhone, since that's also how it syncs, updates, notifies you, etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dewgy posted:

It'll power on, but won't tell the time. So yeah, basically no. It's really a companion device for an iPhone, since that's also how it syncs, updates, notifies you, etc.

Okay i'll look for a android alternative. Moto's watch seems to be really good.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Does anyone own the black stainless? Is it good?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Silver stainless is much better imo. Official tier list:

S:
Silver stainless

A:
Silver aluminum
White ceramic

B:
Black aluminum

C:
Black stainless

D:
Gold aluminum

F:
Rose gold aluminum
Gold
Rose gold

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 29, 2016

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Gold is god tier tbqh

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How's the black stainless compare to black aluminum? I like chrome but I always end up scratching every chrome thing within a 3 meter radius of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Black isn't traditionally popular for watches because coatings generally suck and wear ends up showing through as contrasting gray.

Apples DLC coating seems really good on the SB and the anodizing is really thick on the space gray, so who cares about traditional concerns?

I really like how the black screen blends in with the darker colored bodies.

• Locked thread