Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

They probably won't make another because beyond didn't do as well. If the TV show is a success maybe. Although gently caress trek movies, trek is a TV show and is generally at it's best as a TV show.

But but Star Wars!!!! Disney!!!!

-some exec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The bit where McCoy thinks he's Spock is great. The adventures of David and some mysterious person with the same name as Saavik from Wrath of Khan were a bit poo poo.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Zurui posted:

"My God, Bones...what have I done?"

"What you had to do...what you always do: turn death into a fighting chance to live."
Ugh, I hate that part. Shatner's delivery is terrible, and McCoy's line doesn't sound like him at all.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lord Hydronium posted:

Ugh, I hate that part. Shatner's delivery is terrible, and McCoy's line doesn't sound like him at all.

I don't hate that as much as McCoy's "Fascinating" response to Spock's request that they rig the photon torpedo in STVI.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Shatner's delivery is rather terrible in almost all of his dialogue in both of Nimoy's films. Nimoy just had no idea how to handle him and just let him do his thing, and it really hurt both films (both Search for Spock and Voyage Home have much deeper underlying problems, but Shatner's performances really don't help).

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think you'll find, actually, that Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home has no problems of any kind.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Timby posted:

Shatner's delivery is rather terrible in almost all of his dialogue in both of Nimoy's films. Nimoy just had no idea how to handle him and just let him do his thing, and it really hurt both films (both Search for Spock and Voyage Home have much deeper underlying problems, but Shatner's performances really don't help).

Yeah? Well a double dumbass on you!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cargohills posted:

"My father says that you have been my friend. You came back for me [...] Why would you do this?"

"Because the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many."

This right here is deeper and more powerful than anything that other franchise has ever given us.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Please Don't Complain About Supermechagodzilla In This Thread, Thanks

cenotaph posted:

Star Trek was so big in the 90s that around Christmas a Star Trek merchandise shop would appear in my local mall along with the calendar shops. They had some of the same toys that the toy store had but also more expensive stuff. I remember a wooden bat'leth hanging on the wall.
I remember having a tricorder toy and really enjoying it, but also being annoyed because it was just a prop, basically; none of the buttons I remember reading about in the Technical Manual DID anything.

Like obviously I didn't expect it to actually scan for life forms, but I hoped for more button noises and reactions.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 28, 2016

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Nessus posted:

Like obviously I didn't expect it to actually scan for life forms, but I hoped for more button noises and reactions.

I was that kid who took the batteries out of his Trek toys because I could make the right noises. "Beep boop twee weeeeyouuup."

Probably the biggest part of Trek for me in my formative years was the community. In elementary school I had built-in nerd friends because I liked Star Trek. We'd talk about how cool it was that they were making ANOTHER Star Trek show. (This one is set on a space station! How cool is that?) We'd argue technical minutiae and play the terrible Decipher Star Trek CCG (we made up special campaign rules with a 2-dimensional grid). Our Boy Scout troop was combined with another school and so our little Trek clique combined with their little Trek clique and it was awesome.

Reruns of TNG played at 4:00 on our ABC affiliate for years and years. When they started syndicating DS9 at 3:00 (1997, I think) I would run home from the bus to catch the teaser.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I always feel jealous when I read or hear stories from other people's childhoods where they had nerdy friends that shared their interests while at the same age I had a fight like a goddamn redshirt to get to and from my locker because I had the gaul to wear a TNG t shirt to class in 3rd grade

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

They probably won't make another because beyond didn't do as well. If the TV show is a success maybe. Although gently caress trek movies, trek is a TV show and is generally at it's best as a TV show.

The fact that they immediately announced "but we got that guy from those Marvel movies you stupid nerds like for the next one!" leaves me with the impression that they still don't know what to do with the franchise and will flail for as long as they think they can still milk it; they may honestly just keep going until one of them bombs completely

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tighclops posted:

The fact that they immediately announced "but we got that guy from those Marvel movies you stupid nerds like for the next one!" leaves me with the impression that they still don't know what to do with the franchise and will flail for as long as they think they can still milk it; they may honestly just keep going until one of them bombs completely

Well, that's what they did last time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

I always feel jealous when I read or hear stories from other people's childhoods where they had nerdy friends that shared their interests while at the same age I had a fight like a goddamn redshirt to get to and from my locker because I had the gaul to wear a TNG t shirt to class in 3rd grade

See, you gotta travel in a pack. You gotta have at least 3-4 of you, and at least 1 of those other kids needs to be nerdier than you. That way, if someone does try to hassle you in the hall you can just toss him to the wolves and be like "oh gently caress see you on the bus bye spencer!" as you jog to class.

Always leave a man behind.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Yeah, we were pretty savagely mocked and pushed around. So it goes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

I'm actually skeptical that they're going to make a fourth. I know that McKay and Payne have been hired to write a script, and Pine and Quinto signed new contracts that obligated them to do a fourth movie in exchange for getting a massive pay raise for Beyond, but given the troubled production of Beyond, I'm pretty convinced the only reason it was made at all was because Paramount was like, "poo poo, we've got to do something for the anniversary year." And then it under-performed due to a multitude of factors (poor marketing and possibly the most stupid release timing imaginable, primarily). I imagine another movie being greenlit will very heavily depend on how much money Beyond makes on home video, and if the Transformers series continues to be a reliable revenue generator, because the studio doesn't have much else in the way of franchises.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The whole Star Trek reboot thing really only works to make the universe work in movie format. We're never gonna get consistency or world-building there, even if the series got its act together.

Honestly, the most interesting thing about Beyond to me is that it was the middle of the Enterprise's five year mission rather than before or after. But even that didn't play a role.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't hate that as much as McCoy's "Fascinating" response to Spock's request that they rig the photon torpedo in STVI.

Star Trek: I hate Star Trek

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Btw I've decided to finally settle the debate on the best Star Trek moment. It's this:

Honorable mention goes to the time Sulu found a revolver on a deserted planet and just started firing it and laughing at how fun it was. Not being affected by space madness or anything, he was just having a great time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zurui posted:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pwnstar posted:

Honorable mention goes to the time Sulu found a revolver on a deserted planet and just started firing it and laughing at how fun it was. Not being affected by space madness or anything, he was just having a great time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zurui posted:

"Star Trek fans do not actually like Star Trek." --Supermechagodzilla, probably

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Powered Descent posted:

"Star Trek fans do not actually like Star Trek." --Supermechagodzilla, probably
I mean, if you think about the third season of TOS, and seasons 1, 2, and 7 of TNG, and season 1 of DS9, and Voyager, and Enterprise, and half the movies, that might be true for this thread. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

So is this what it was like for the TOS people right before TNG came out? "I was there for the good Star Trek, man."

I was young, but I'd had a couple years of ST fandom under my belt, read a ton of novels, had the Franz Joseph Technical Manual (1st edition hardcover :smug: ).

I was very skeptical but also excited. I didn't see us getting more than a couple years out of the new show.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Season 1 DS9 has far more good episodes than bad.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

armoredgorilla posted:

Season 1 DS9 has far more good episodes than bad.

Anyone that hates Move Along Home hates fun. :colbert:

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Pieces of Peace posted:

It's only a game!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Even the CineD Star Trek thread is immediately ruined because some goon is pushing his insane "trek cycle" theory. Even movies are good, odd movies are bad. Don't make things complicated.

I think there's a few different ways to categorize the different movies besides just "good/bad" and I never thought Search was bad enough to justify the even/odd rule anyway. I think a better distinction would be between movies that feel like extended episodes with "big screen" scifi/action elements stapled on (TMP, Final Frontier, Insurrection), Star Tek "mythology" movies that explored the setting and the characters, often bridging different eras and leaning on established continuity (the 2/3/4 trilogy, TUC, Generations), and those that split the difference (First Contact, Nemesis, JJTrek). I struggled with those catagories a bit though -- the 2/3/4 trilogy as a whole is very wrapped up in the Trek Mythos, but The One With the Whales, in particular, also closely resembles classic high concept TOS episodes. Likewise, the JJ Treks are kind of tricky to fit in this scheme because they're pretty different from their antecedents (and there's no modern Trek show to compare them to), but I think they really have been trying to have it both ways and, so far, Beyond has been the only one to really make that work (its plot is pretty standard episodic action sci-fi, but its tone and setting elements are pure mythos).

You could also probably break the movies into conceptual scifi, action adventure, and character-driven, but there's so much overlap there (especially from the TNG movies on), that I wouldnt' know where to start.

Also, there's a CD Trek thread? Why?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Probably to focus on the films. Oughta rename that form CaSMG

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best thing that SMG ever did was when he popped into BSS and tried to spew his gimmick bullshit in there and X-O probated his rear end within minutes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Duckbag posted:

Also, there's a CD Trek thread? Why?

Who knows? They're Not Our People, dear.

:colbert:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Astroman posted:

Who knows? They're Not Our People, dear.

:colbert:

I'm sure it's about how the classic trek movies are all unwatchably bad, the new trek movies are better and into darkness is by far the best, and that Nemesis is clearly the best trek movie ever made because the dune buggy scene is an extremely obvious allegory about the struggles of women's suffrage and Shinzon is perhaps the best written antagonist in the history of cinema and if you don't agree you clearly didn't watch the movie correctly and don't even know what you like.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Pieces of Peace posted:

Agreed. Alamarain, motherfuckers.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
It's been long enough that I hope we aren't still spoiler-tagging stuff from "Beyond" but... (spoilers ahead ) while I liked the first two-thirds or so, I found the end of Beyond to be a tedious chore. I didn't give one poo poo about the big revelation about Krall's "real background", and watching Kirk and him play Spider-Man superhero-type leaps from building to building was just dreadful. And the final fistfight in the ventilation system was such a letdown I was rooting for the bad guy. I mean, compare that ending to the ending of TMP, TWOK, or even IV or VI and it feels so shallow. Anyway, that's my two-month-late gripe about Beyond.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The future is going to suck if we do away with pro sports and TV shows and movies and replace them all with theatrical plays and violin concertos.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Thankfully, there will be all kinds of concertos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cXWrdHshE

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Who knew that Data and O'Brien had those kind of sick beats in them?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
SMG is the CD Nietzsche

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gonz posted:

The future is going to suck if we do away with pro sports and TV shows and movies and replace them all with theatrical plays and violin concertos.

UFC will still exist, though.

ULTIMATE FICELLO CHAMPIONSHIP will be very popular amongst space Canadians like the stalwart commander Eddington, I must say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gonz posted:

There's also playing Damjat for latinum. And stabbing people in the heart when they cheat you at Damjat