Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zo posted:

What are you even taking about :psyduck:

Being 75k in high-interest debt probably isn't the best time to be in the exciting world of second house ownership regardless of how much principal you can extract from it in 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Being 75k in high-interest debt probably isn't the best time to be in the exciting world of second house ownership regardless of how much principal you can extract from it in 30 years

When you make over 200k a year and have loooots of other ways to cut down on spending, it probably is. Selling would be a very short sighted move that gives you an easy way out now but hurts you in the long run.

...so i guess they'll be selling the townhouse and not changing their lifestyle in any way.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
They're probably underwater on the rental property

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

:vince: :perfect:

Catching up in this thread, found this new greatest post.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

They're probably underwater on the rental property

Maybe, maybe not. The people I know who own rentals boast about how rent covers the mortgage, so maybe they are just underpricing the rental.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
The vast majority of houses have positive equity so that was just a throwaway poo poo post really.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Don't rent out the house you own, rent out someone else's house.
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/54wt27/a_friend_put_my_apartment_on_air_bnb_while_i_was/

quote:

A "friend" put my apartment on Air BnB while I was traveling (self.legaladvice)
submitted 6 hours ago by Lady_Gamer
I live in Rhode Island.
I own an apartment and I also travel a lot for various reasons. I have a friend who is a little down on her luck or whatever so I let her stay in my apartment at various points in the past year when I travel. I have been gone for the entire month of September until this past weekend
I returned recently and my friend's ex-business partner (who my friend screwed over - but that's not for this conversation) informed me that my friend had been Air BnBing my apartment and taking all of the money that has been earned. I went on Air BnB and found her profile and there were 23 reviews which leads me to believe she has done this at LEAST 23 times!!
Additionally, the ex-business partner informed me that she had taken my boyfriend's car down to Washington DC (obviously without us knowing) and back during this month of September.
I haven't talked to my "friend" yet about any of this and she does not know that I know.
What, if anything, can I do?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I think you're looking for the GWM thread

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Teeter posted:

Does he have more bird toes on his right bird leg than his left? I don't know the proper terms for them or amount that (s)he should even have, I'm not a bird doctor.

He (Green Aracari's are dimorphic, the she's have brown heads) has equal bird toes on each of his drumsticks.

canyoneer posted:

Haha.
Mortgage on townhouse: $1,800. Rent income from townhouse: $1,595.

"I'm losing a minimum of $205 a month renting this thing out.
If only there was some way I could not own it anymore.
Wouldn't it be nice if someone would pay me a sum of money AND I don't have to own it anymore?"

This means they're basically paying just principle on their loan, making it effectively 0% barring annual maintenance, assuming that is PITI. This is the least of their worries. I would rent a house out at a $200/month "loss" if they were good tenants. They're paying 30% interest on a credit card, yet $200 in a low risk non-liquid savings account is the gotcha?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

He (Green Aracari's are dimorphic, the she's have brown heads) has equal bird toes on each of his drumsticks.

This means they're basically paying just principle on their loan, making it effectively 0% barring annual maintenance, assuming that is PITI. This is the least of their worries. I would rent a house out at a $200/month "loss" if they were good tenants. They're paying 30% interest on a credit card, yet $200 in a low risk non-liquid savings account is the gotcha?

But they're losing much more than just $200.

My husband and I rent out the house I bought before we were married. In addition to the mortgage I pay on it, we also have to budget for small repairs (AC tune-up, new stove, etc) and long term up keep (new roof, etc.). Also, rental income all has to be claimed as income, not just the profit made after mortgage. Renting out property is not really as profitable as people like to make it out to be....

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SquirrelFace posted:

My husband and I rent out the house I bought before we were married. In addition to the mortgage I pay on it, we also have to budget for small repairs (AC tune-up, new stove, etc) and long term up keep (new roof, etc.). Also, rental income all has to be claimed as income, not just the profit made after mortgage. Renting out property is not really as profitable as people like to make it out to be....

I agree they are net negative more than $200 in cash, however even in their 28% bracket they should be deducting a good portion of their income right back out. It's not simple, but if you're accruing the costs (vs. cash) you can deduct out the roof as an item with a fixed usable life. Also if your rental isn't in an LLC you are BWM. It's a risk, but generally property values appreciate even with the deferred and immediate maintenance.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tips-on-rental-real-estate-income-deductions-and-recordkeeping

IRS posted:

If you receive rental income from the rental of a dwelling unit, there are certain rental expenses you may deduct on your tax return. These expenses may include mortgage interest, property tax, operating expenses, depreciation, and repairs.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Teeter posted:

Does he have more bird toes on his right bird leg than his left? I don't know the proper terms for them or amount that (s)he should even have, I'm not a bird doctor.

No, he has four on each foot. A couple of them are hidden by the perspective, but all four are definitely there.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

They invented a dating website for you all :

http://creditscoredating.com/

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

SquirrelFace posted:

No lol the taxable portion of rental income is exactly the profit after the mortgage interest and expenses, but "profit" is not the same thing as "cash flow"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

revmoo posted:

?? I don't know anyone who has had to deal with strings of poo poo cars with multiple thousand-dollar repairs, no.

Stupid Entitled rear end in a top hat Goon has never met any poor people, still pretty sure he knows how they should live their lives though.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

This mornings site meeting it turns out the people who are renting the car parks outside of the building we are working on are getting annoyed as they don't have access due to the vans that are parked there. Of course to make my design work some of the car parks are being removed and bollards are being put in place to prevent parking. The people renting the car parks are going to be flipping out with rage. Of course we have no idea who they're paying the money to as it's not the building or land owner. They are renting car parks from someone who doesn't own them. I'm waiting to see if their cars end up getting towed prior to the bollard installation commencing.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

No lol the taxable portion of rental income is exactly the profit after the mortgage interest and expenses, but "profit" is not the same thing as "cash flow"

Cashflow is king when it comes to property. Negative cashflow will always gently caress you around. I have plenty of clients who are "losing" money on their buildings while building up a pile of cash. Although in New Zealand we have little or no capital gains tax so it's about converting income into tax free capital gains.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 29, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Devian666 posted:

This mornings site meeting it turns out the people who are renting the car parks outside of the building we are working on are getting annoyed as they don't have access due to the vans that are parked there. Of course to make my design work some of the car parks are being removed and bollards are being put in place to prevent parking. The people renting the car parks are going to be flipping out with rage. Of course we have no idea who they're paying the money to as it's not the building or land owner. They are renting car parks from someone who doesn't own them. I'm waiting to see if their cars end up getting towed prior to the bollard installation commencing.

Please keep us posted.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Lol at the overspending guy:

quote:

Lots of suggestions on cutting Food down. We don't eat out a ton but we can certainly get it to 0. Most of the money goes to Groceries and Gas.

quote:

Definitely plan to stop eating out. I just started YNAB this month and we've been pretty good with tracking our expenses...it looks like we spent ~$700 eating out this month.

edit: lol just noticed my name change courtesy of the gibbis thread. GWM!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

TLG James posted:

It's a very odd place to go if you're not into scuba diving. It's pretty much their only attraction outside of getting drunk...

and grey-area offshore online gambling!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Guys, I just learned that someone I know fell for the meat van scam... as the meat supplier!

My sister's father-in-law is a real piece of work, and owned a huge and beautiful cattle farm until he decided he hated his nursing job and quit to become a long-haul trucker of all things. Also cheated on his wife, managed to reconcile, then lied about long-haul trucking to live with his (different) mistress. He apparently falls for all sorts of get-rich-quick schemes.

Anyway, some guys told him they were with some restaurant that supplied to steakhouses including Ruth's Chris and wanted to work out a deal. So he loaded up a trailer full of his steaks and dropped it off, no collateral, no cash, nothing.

They found it a few days later, melting in the sun in some parking lot somewhere.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Tax wise, you are also forced to depreciate the rental property at a fairly substantial rate so the tax impact of a rental property looks very different than simply adding up "profit after the mortgage interest and expenses".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Are there any tax implications or could I get into trouble for taking a 401k loan and using it to buy bitcoin?

My work allows you to take a loan against your 401k. Most of the money is from my employer, but I've had it long enough to make it legally mine. The stock market has only done a couple percent this year and bitcoin has exploded again. I've done a lot of research in the bitcoin subreddit and it looks like bitcoin can weather a crash better than the stock market (which looks to be in a bubble). I want something more real than stocks and just don't want to have to pay any extra taxes. I know if I pull it out early I have to pay taxes, but what about the loan to get some seed money for bitcoin? The profit from bitcoin will most likely cover the loan very quickly.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The profit from bitcoin will most likely cover the loan very quickly.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

What a coincidence- we got a reminder of the Golden Wonderhanger Awards this week.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Mom wants me to cosign a $170k loan. Good idea?

I need advice regarding my mom's finances. She's looking to consolidate her debt, 54k remaining mortgage, 47k credit card and 46k home equity, into a new 170k mortgage, 15 year fixed 3% APR. She needs a cosigner since she's a waitress and has a low income (most of her cash tips go unreported). Her pitch to me is that her house is worth at least 250k, which she has from my parents divorce, and if she dies, she's 60, I can just sell it to pay off the loan.

My question is how much will this hurt me when trying to get new loans for myself? I currently own my own condo, but I'm getting married next year and plan on moving to a bigger house within a year or two after that. The loan officer told her that if I can prove the loan payments all come from her account for at least 12 months that when I go to buy a new house this cosigned loan for her wouldn't count against me. Is that true? Has anyone ever heard of that? My SO and I have talked about moving to houses that cost around 400k. But he has 130k in student loans that he's currently paying on the income based plan since he works at a school and makes 44k.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wait how is "most" of the money from the employer? Are there employers that contribute more than a match? Where are these employers, how do I line up to get this guy's job when he gets fired for installing bitcoin miners on everyone's computer?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Stupid Entitled rear end in a top hat Goon has never met any poor people, still pretty sure he knows how they should live their lives though.

This is really hilarious if you know me and where I started at.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

revmoo posted:

This is really hilarious if you know me and where I started at.

Here comes the bootstrapping spiel!!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Can we have a gun or wedding derail instead?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Save us, derail toucan!

(I know he's a green aracari. I love you, Mindo)

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Wedding: if you spend more than $250 on a backyard bbq then lol good job wasting money on an ultimately meaningless single event. Also, if you spend less than $15,000 then you're a sad miser who wouldn't even spend a little money to create an unforgettable memory on your special day.

I think that covers it?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

quote:

Are there any tax implications or could I get into trouble for taking a 401k loan and using it to buy bitcoin?

My work allows you to take a loan against your 401k. Most of the money is from my employer, but I've had it long enough to make it legally mine. The stock market has only done a couple percent this year and bitcoin has exploded again. I've done a lot of research in the bitcoin subreddit and it looks like bitcoin can weather a crash better than the stock market (which looks to be in a bubble). I want something more real than stocks and just don't want to have to pay any extra taxes. I know if I pull it out early I have to pay taxes, but what about the loan to get some seed money for bitcoin? The profit from bitcoin will most likely cover the loan very quickly.

The stock market "looks like a bubble" and only made a few percent this year, but Bitcoin, which has "exploded again" is much more likely to weather a crash.

Yes, this is the future of stable investing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think my favorite part is that he did "research" in the bitcoin subreddit, which is like researching cars at a used car dealership

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

I want something more real than stocks

quote:

bitcoin

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was my favorite part. Maybe he should buy gold coins.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zo posted:

Someone post the pelican, quick.

DarkHorse posted:

Save us, derail toucan!

(I know he's a green aracari. I love you, Mindo)

I believe we've covered what he is. :colbert:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

I live in NYC with a roommate (my portion of the rent is $925/month) and I make $60k a year (that's without my annual bonus - which, this year, was $11k). I currently have no savings and my credit card is maxed out at $2,300. Each paycheck (after taxes, 401k, benefits) is $1600 (bi-weekly) and I currently i have -$790 (yeah, that's negative) in my checking account. Each month I pay $250 in student loans and another $250 ish in utilities (electric, cell phone, cable).

Anyone have any type of advice to get me out of the red and not having to live paycheck to paycheck with a negative account each time? Any budgeting tips and tricks would be supremely helpful, I don't know where to begin and it's just getting worse. I spend about $1,400 a month on eating out and bars, but most of that is mandatory for work, so not much I can cut down there. I realize I need to seriously curb my non-work going out (just got back from Miami with some friends, spent more money than I had). Seems like the biggest thing I need to do is start tracking where the money is going and then eliminating any unnecessary expenses).

Thank you in advance!

quote:

Lost 10k in borrowed money and it is coming due. Best way to get it back?

I have been trading currencies for around 3 months and was getting good results (maybe beginners luck who knows). I decided to go the next step and borrowed $10,000 from the bank so I could put on bigger trades and hopefully get bigger profits.

After a week I made $4,000 in one day (in a few hours) in a great trade. After that I thought I was invincible and kept getting bolder and bolder with my trades. Needless to say today I lost it all, including the $10,000 which I borrowed from the bank. In one day. Gone.

I'm 28 and have no real assets. I feel like my gut has been wrenched from inside out and I also had to break the news to my girlfriend whose birthday is just around the corner. Pretty huge gently caress up, one of the biggest in my entire life. Any advice on how to proceed with my life would be very welcome. I believe that I know what I'm doing and can make the money back if given enough time. What is the most responsible way to get the initial money I need to get back in and make enough to pay off my loan?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I spend about $1,400 a month on eating out and bars, but most of that is mandatory for work, so not much I can cut down there.

:psyduck:

While I can believe that he might have to meet clients for lunch or after hours or something like that, surely he could just order less and/or cheaper things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Bad with Work: a job that requires mandatory eating out and bar tabs but doesn't let you claim any of it as employee expenses.

Though more likely he is not very good at distinguishing "need" from "want".

• Locked thread