Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Name: Nille (ニーユ)
Class: Warlock
Portrait: 4B, ice blue skin, light purple hair, black eyes
Voice: Domineering

The latest in a long line of sorcerers passing a title from master to successor in the style of the Dread Pirate Roberts, Nille is much more vocal than any of her predecessors, willing and ready to prove to the world that magic conquers all.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AweStriker posted:

Voice: uh... what are the options?

There's a big list of them on the test post here: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=145538

The first 20 are male, the second 20 are female (although you can choose male voices for female portraits, and vice versa). There's a link on that page with sound samples, but you'd have to keep count to match them up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Okay, you know how I said I was covering all the DLC Ragnar Homsar wasn't covering in depth? Yeah I forgot how bad Treasures Untold really got. I'm really not sure if I can go through it since it has a lot of problems. The damage outputs of the bosses are completely overtuned, and it's nearly impossible to come up with a strategy to deal with every boss. Because it's a boss rush and you have to go through 7 fights at once! I mean I'll try my best to show it off, but worst case scenario, I'll just put up a bunch of write ups and essentially tell you all good luck, because this DLC is nothing but a bunch of dice rolls.

Unfortunately that extends to The Original Sin as well. Worst case scenario... I dunno.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Name: Vaughn
Portrait: 1B. Skin: second row, first (ash grey.) Hair 1st: [246, 141, 180.] Hair 2nd: [170, 140, 151.] Eyes unlinked. Left eye, top: [239, 229, 227.] Left eye, bottom: [170, 140, 151.] Right eye, top: [199, 98, 69.] Right eye, bottom: [227, 137, 80.]
Voice: Somber

Vaughn's life, in its entirety, has been nothing but being late; ever since his parents and the medics were just minutes too late to save his left eye from succumbing to an infection when he was less than a year old. Schooling opportunities, appointments with friends, or career opportunities that would determine his future, would all come so close to being within his grasp but he'd miss them by just seconds and watch them slip out of his hands. Eventually, everyone he had known from his childhood had passed him by to go on to greater things, and he was left, alone and without direction, in his small home town; but as though the heavens were laughing at him, soon after, his mother suffered from a stroke... and had he found her in that state just one minute earlier, she might not have died. Weeks later, despairing and lacking a purpose, he suddenly disappeared, having set off alone to Yggdrasil in one last-ditch effort; either he would finally make something of his life, or he would be too late to do anything, and at least finally find a place to die.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Name: Anya
Class: Fencer
Portrait: 1B.
Skin: first row, fifth
Hair Highlight: 214, 73, 73
Hair Shade: 151, 21, 23
Eyes, top: 46, 192, 239
Eyes, bottom: 198, 242, 228
Voice: 29 (Composed)

The second child of a moderately well-to-do tradesman, Anya was not quite spoiled, but had a bit more leeway with her parents than her older brother had at her age. As is wont to happen in situations like these, this led to a life of boredom punctuated by various thrill-seeking (and often illegal) activities. After one particularly destructive incident, her parents had little choice but to send her off to a military school in the hopes of instilling discipline.

Surprisingly, it worked, and Anya returned home as a young adult, formally trained and disciplined to a T. In the meantime, however, she found that she wasn't much of the darling of the family, what with two younger siblings now running about. Leaving home to find meaning to her life, she heads to Aeolis to challenge Yggdrasil. Seems there might be a bit of that old thrill-seeker left...

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 29, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

What do the Masurao 1A 1B look like in combat, because they look conveniently androgynous in generation.

Out of curiosity.

(Actually would it be much trouble to show off all the basic combat images?)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 24, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What do the Masurao 1A 1B look like in combat, because they look conveniently androgynous in generation.

Out of curiosity.

(Actually would it be much trouble to show off all the basic combat images?)

It would, because the basic combat images are all just transparent outlines.

EO5 draws non-character creation character images by first drawing the outline texture--it then layers the following things below it in this order (from back to front, all behind outline):

* lit skin
* shadow skin
* lit hair
* shadow hair

The eyes (and blushes for female characters) all piggyback on other layers. They're all stored as white blobs internally, and the game just applies a color overlay to them.

To sum it up: I could probably do it, but it'd take a lot of time for probably not that much benefit.

Also, since I put it at the bottom of the character creation post for whatever reason and some people might've missed it: remember that you can submit multiple characters (1 class per submitter, so a max of 10 characters if you do each class), with the caveat that if one of them is picked, the rest are all disqualified.

e: Pictures speak louder than words.

Rea fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 24, 2016

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Name: Teyla (テイラー)
Class: Reaper
Portrait: 4A
Skin Tone: 3rd, first row
Hair light: 146, 76, 60
Hair dark: 86, 50, 52
Eyes: Red
Voice: 21

Orphaned as a child, she and her brother grew up together on the streets of the Earthrun capital. While her brother trained to be a dragoon in the militia to support them, she learned the ways of miasma from reapers traveling through the city. Remembering strange dreams of being a princess sailing the waves, she aspires to climb Yggdrasil to claim a wish for her and her brother to have fortune to live on and to hopefully find a meaning behind those dreams. Bubbly, eccentric, and snarky, she comes up with weird plans and has a tendency to get into trouble. She has a bad habit of being a bit overly self-sacrificial, and sometimes gets caught up in weird fantasies.

Name: Jill (ジル)
Class: Cestus
Portrait: 2A
Skin Tone: 4th, first row
Hair light: 214, 42, 60
Hair dark: 132, 0, 42
Eyes: Green
Voice: 22

The daughter of a well-off family, from a young age she was trained in the way of the dragoon.... Though she hated the stuffiness of military school, and instead chose to wander the lands and improve on her martial arts. She dropped out and spent most of her teenage years meditating under waterfalls and punching trees. Capable of punching down an entire forest on her own, she looks to scale yggdrasil and find the treasure on top, having heard legends that the person who reaches the peak will become the world's strongest. She looks to complete her art with the world's strongest punch. Stubborn, cocky, and likes punching things. She has a knack for mechanical things.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 2, 2016

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Name: Amelie (アメリー)
Class: Cestus
Portrait: Generic Earthrun female
Skin Tone: 4th, bottom row
Hair light: 1st, top row
Hair dark: 4th, bottom row
Eyes: 2nd, bottom row
Voice: 8 (cowardly)

Life is hard when you're Amelie. All she ever wanted was to go into medicine and become a chiropractor; indeed, she had a real aptitude for it, demonstrating exceptional grasp of the theory. If she'd ever been able to go into practice, she surely would have done well for herself and left many people much happier and healthier. However, Amelie has... a little problem with controlling her strength. It was never confirmed whether she broke somebody's spine in her practicals, but... Well, at any rate, Amelie's trying to make the best of things. With her chiropractic knowledge and exceptional strength, becoming a Cestus and exploring Yggdrasil seemed like a natural fit. Too bad she's not a fan of combat...

Name: Kaede (カエデ)
Class: Hound
Portrait: 1A
Skin Tone: 2nd, first row
Hair light: 4th, top row
Hair dark: 4th, top row
Eyes: Unlinked; one eye grey, other eye bright aqua preset
Voice: 39 (taciturn)

It's not as hard as you might think to make your way in the world when you're blind from birth - even in the sight-heavy role of a bow hunter. Of course, being a Therian helps; those big ears aren't just for show! What helps even more, Kaede has found, is forging a magic link between yourself and your loyal hunting pets, so that you can literally use their eyes. It's a little strange sometimes, she'll admit, but there are plenty of advantages. The loving gaze of her wolfhound is better than any mirror for making sure her camouflage is in order (or, when she ventures out of the forest, making sure she doesn't look like a disaster), her falcon's aerial perspective is incredibly useful for getting the lay of the land and helping Kaede line up her shot, and... okay, she'll admit it. It's great fun to mess with people who don't think you can see them. A girl's gotta get her laughs somewhere.

Name: Momoka (モモカ)
Class: Masurao
Voice: 29 (composed)

Blah blah ancient and noble warrior clan, yada yada deadly rivals, yakety yak revenge for the family honor, blibbity blah proving her worth in the Yggdrasil. Look, let's get one thing straight here - Momoka does not care about any of that poo poo. She just really loving loves swords. All she wants to do is have a lot of swords and use a lot of swords and do the awesomest possible things she can do, with swords.

GeminiSun fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 24, 2016

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Name: Jude
Class: Necromancer
Skin Tone: 4th, top row
Hair: White/default colors
Eyes: Grey
Voice: 19 (Apathetic)

Jude recently graduated from Sidonian Magic Academy's Necromancy school, and the thing with Sidonian Magic Academy is - it's goddamned expensive. Oh, there are scholarships and bursaries, sure, but only Warlocks really ever receive them, since the kingdom doesn't want to encourage the whole 'probably using the life energies of your dead loved ones to make explosions' business. But since young and edgy Jude decided being a Warlock was too mainstream for him, today's Jude has to deal with a student debt amounting to hundreds of thousands of Entals. (This is why you don't make life choices while going through a phase. He'd note it down for the future, if he still thinks he has one.)

Now Jude's quite good at the necromancy thing, in fact, he's one of the top students in his (admittedly pretty small) class, but there's just not a lot of demand for people who can explode ghosts into poison clouds, compared to conjurers of flame and lightning. Sadly regret and disillusionment don't pay the bills, so now he works as a waiter at Melina's bar. It's pretty reliant on tips, but turns out the patrons quite dig the scarred look, so he's been making do. At least that's some silver lining to all of the organ selling. (God, he seriously should've become a Warlock.)

While working at the bar, though, he saw an influx of 'adventurers' coming to the city to explore the giant tree dungeon, and those who made it out alive came back with all sorts of treasures in their hands... and buying equipments that cost more than his yearly school fee... which gave Jude an idea. Surely some adventuring group out there could make use of his talents in combat. Melina's a good boss, but with his current income he'd still need three lifetimes, at least, before being able to pay his debt off. And hey, fighting monsters would be a nice way to release all of his pent-up frustrations. He knows the dangers, but if he ends up getting mauled by a giant squirrel or something, well... that's another way out, too.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 28, 2016

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Fetus. Seriously. Don't kill yourself doing this. If the DLC is bullshit, just do a writeup of what to expect. Because seriously, I think those DLCs were intended to have a specific Classic-Mode party, not the Story-Mode party.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kemix posted:

Fetus. Seriously. Don't kill yourself doing this. If the DLC is bullshit, just do a writeup of what to expect. Because seriously, I think those DLCs were intended to have a specific Classic-Mode party, not the Story-Mode party.

I appreciate your concerns, but here's my rebuttal to your last point.

:shepicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Even the DLC can't handle Knight right now.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Ronin are damage dealers that focus on physical damage, with some options for composite damage. In theory, they distinguish themselves from other damage dealers like Landsknechts by outputting higher damage in exchange for being more easily killed. In practice, in EO2U, they're a sub-par damage dealer class that has serious issues that vary based on what point you are at in the game--TP issues early on, and damage issues in the late and postgame. It's incredibly difficult for me to recommend a Ronin as anything other than a generic placeholder class in case you have an empty slot in a postgame party, since there's other ways you can use that party slot more efficiently, especially if you're doing an NG+ run from a Story save and have Fafnir access.

Stats:

Level 1
HP: 27
TP: 18
STR: 10
TEC: 6
VIT: 6
AGI: 9
LUC: 4

Level 50
HP: 193
TP: 179
STR: 37
TEC: 23
VIT: 24
AGI: 35
LUC: 19

Level 99
HP: 456
TP: 340
STR: 70
TEC: 45
VIT: 46
AGI: 66
LUC: 38

Innate weapon choices: Sword, Katana

Innate equipment choices: Light armor, Clothes

Ronin have the best STR in the game (albeit by a measly 1 point at 99 compared to Landsknechts), and the second highest AGI, and bad everything else. They have the third lowest HP of any class and the worst TP, meaning that they both can't take very many hits and will run out of TP really quickly at all points in the game, but especially the early game. Their TEC and VIT are both really low, meaning they take pretty considerably higher damage compared to other classes. They also have the second-lowest LUC in the game, meaning that not only are their skills that can inflict disables incredibly unreliable, they're also really easily disabled.

Katana Mastery
Requirements: None

Required to learn katana skills. Passively increases damage dealt with katanas.

Upper Stance
Requirements: Katana Mastery level 1

Needed to use Upper Stance skills. While the Upper Stance state is active, the user gains a passive bonus to their physical damage. From levels 10 to 20, Upper Stance has a chance to automatically activate at the start of a battle, which will increase its duration by one turn.

The stance that I prefer and pretty much always go for. If you're gonna use a Ronin, might as well go all-in on the offense to get the most out of them.

Clear Stance

Needed to use Clear Stance skills. While the Clear Stance state is active, the user gains a passive bonus to their physical defense. From levels 10 to 20, Clear Stance has a chance to automatically activate at the start of a battle, which will increase its duration by one turn.

Clear Stance really doesn't appeal to me, mostly because you lose out on quite a bit of damage compared to Upper Stance, and a 15/20% defense bonus isn't going to save your Ronin from anything. Note that it also only applies to physical damage, which is such an irrelevant thing in the postgame since most dangerous skills are either elemental or almighty.

Drawing Stance

Needed to use Drawing Stance skills. While the Drawing Stance state is active, the user gains a passive bonus to their evasion and accuracy. From levels 10 to 20, Drawing Stance has a chance to automatically activate at the start of a battle, which will increase its duration by one turn.

Evasion/accuracy might seem like bizarre bonuses, but they're actually fairly decent on Ronin, mostly because katanas have very slightly lower-than-average base accuracy, and evasion'll save a Ronin from killing blows more often than a physical defense bonus will. Whether you want to opt for this over Upper Stance's damage bonus is entirely on you.

Upward Slash/Charging Thrust/Sheath Strike
Requirements: Upper/Clear/Drawing Stance level 1
Body parts used: Arms
Required equipment: Katana

Deals melee STR-based cut/stab/bash damage to one enemy. Activates the Upper/Clear/Drawing Stance state after use. Has no speed modifier and no accuracy modifier at all levels.

While boring, these skills are absolutely crucial for Ronin, since they actually let them use stances and skills. Leveling them up past 1 is a bad idea early on, but once you hit the late and postgame, you want to squeeze out as much damage from your Ronin as possible, at which point it's probably time to start leveling them up.

Horse Slash
Requirements: Upper Stance level 3

Requires the Upper Stance state to use. Deals melee STR-based cut damage to one enemy. Has a 90% speed modifier and no accuracy modifier at all levels.

Horse Slash seems pretty boring on the surface, and that's because it is. However, ironically, it's also, in some ways, better than the "ultimate" Upper Stance skill, Swallow Strike. While it deals slightly less damage than Swallow Strike, it also isn't a multi-hit skill with an accuracy penalty, and therefore less prone to missing. It also costs considerably less TP than Swallow Strike--18 at level 20 compared to Swallow Strike's 28 at the same level.

Honestly, if I were to redo the LP from scratch, I'd just focus solely on Horse Slash on Asriel for most of the game. Swallow Strike's only worth it, in my opinion, for Peerless Combo, which we'll see later.

Flame Grater
Requirements: Horse Slash level 3

Requires the Upper Stance state to use. Deals melee STR-based cut+fire damage to one row of enemies. Has a 90% speed modifier and no accuracy modifier at all levels.

If you're going max damage Ronin, this is your best option for having them help out with clearing mobs. You still need the Upper Stance state to use it, which can be annoying in random en counters, but it's decent enough damage and cut+fire means it'll usually avoid running into less-than-ideal resistances.

Swallow Strike
Requirements: Upper Stance level 5

Requires the Upper Stance state to use. Deals multiple instances of melee STR-based cut damage to one enemy. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

In theory, the best standard damage skill for Ronin. In practice...bleh. The accuracy penalty is a pretty big strike against it, especially since katanas are more inaccurate on average. The damage isn't even that spectacular once you realize that the accuracy penalty means one or more hits can whiff. Compare Horse Slash's 410% at level 20 to Swallow Strike's 450% with a level 20 Upper Stance--492% vs. 540%. Whether potentially whiffing on attacks and costing considerably more TP is worth it is your decision.

If you're going for the Peerless build, though, you'll have to level up Swallow Strike anyway, so...

Arm Strike
Requirements: Clear Stance level 3

Requires the Clear Stance state to use. Deals melee STR-based stab damage to one enemy. Attempts to bind the target's arms. Has a 90% speed modifier and no accuracy modifier at all levels.

A really mediocre stab attack. The only notable part is that its base arm bind chance is actually decently high, but good luck making use of it with Ronins having god-awful LUC.

Lighting Stab
Requirements: Arm Strike level 3

Requires the Clear Stance state to use. Deals melee STR-based stab+volt damage to one enemy, with line-piercing effect. Has a 90% speed modifier and no accuracy modifier at all levels.

Considerably less useful than Flame Grater. Line-piercing isn't that fantastic of an effect compared to row-target, and it deals less damage because of the lack of Upper Stance.

Moon Shadow
Requirements: Clear Stance level 5

Requires the Clear Stance state to use. Deals melee STR-based stab damage to one enemy. Has a 300% speed modifier and +30 base accuracy at all levels.

Fairly strange as far as gimmick skills go. High speed and very accurate? I guess the accuracy increase helps Ronin on average, but the speed seems strange. I suppose it's better than using Swallow Strike if you're in the Peerless Stance state.

Beheading Cut
Requirements: Drawing Stance level 3

Requires the Drawing Stance state to use. Deals melee STR-based cut damage to one enemy. Attempts to instantly kill the target. Has no speed modifier and no accuracy modifier at all levels.

An even stranger skill than Moon Shadow. It's one of the few non-Grimoire player sources of instant death, I guess?

Frigid Slash
Requirements: Beheading Cut level 3

Requires the Drawing Stance state to use. Deals ranged STR-based cut+ice damage to all enemies. Has no speed modifier and no accuracy modifier at all levels.

Ranged damage on a katana skill? Again, really REALLY strange, but it lets you put your Ronin in the back, I guess.

Ground Strike
Requirements: Drawing Stance level 5

Requires the Drawing Stance state to use. Deals ranged STR-based bash damage to one enemy. Has a 30% speed modifier and no accuracy modifier at all levels.

Surprisingly, the highest base damage of any of the Ronin skills. It's also ranged like Frigid Slash, letting you put your Ronin in the back row. The only real downside to it is the speed modifier, but Ronin can be fairly slow anyway.

Peerless Stance
Requirements: Swallow Strike level 1, Moon Shadow level 1, Ground Strike level 1

Requires the Upper Stance, Clear Stance, or Drawing Stance state to use. Activates the Peerless State stance, which lasts for 4 turns. Enables the use of all katana skills. Provides a bonus to physical attack, physical defense, speed, accuracy, and evasion. The game says that Peerless Stance is "powered up" according to the levels of the other Stances, but nothing in the skill data provides info on how this works. It's possible the game might apply each Stance's bonuses alongside Peerless Stance's, but this is merely a guess. Has a 200% speed modifier at all levels.

The ultimate stance, and what you're definitely going to be building towards if you're taking a Ronin to the late/postgame. It's an absolute necessity if you want the ultimate Ronin skill, and even if you're not, it still buffs your Ronin a ton.

Peerless Combo
Requirements: Peerless Stance level 3

Requires the Peerless Stance state to use. Activates Swallow Strike, Moon Shadow, and Ground Strike all at once. Applies a multiplier-based reduction to each skill's damage. If Immovable is not active, Peerless Stance is ended after Peerless Combo's use. Has a 20% speed modifier at all levels.

The ultimate Ronin skill...and if you don't have Immovable, it'll end your stance immediately. That's a really bad way to start. It doesn't even stack up all that well to other skills that can deal high damage but potentially have low uptime, such as Ecstasy or Compressed Formulas--with level 20 for everything involved, and assuming a level 20 Peerless Stance plus a level 20 Upper Stance (and assuming that nothing misses), you get:

461% + 450% + 471% = 1382%

(Note that that doesn't account for buffs or debuffs.)

While that may seem decent, remember that unless you want to constantly re-apply stances, Peerless Combo effectively has a 5 turn cooldown.

Remember, too, that this skill costs a LOT to max out. In terms of skill points, you'll need:

• Level 10 of at least Upper Stance, and at least level 5 for the other two stances
  • Level 10 for Swallow Strike, Moon Shadow, and Ground Strike
  • Level 10 for Peerless Stance
  • Level 10 for Peerless Combo

Even if I be generous and assume 5 points for the non-Upper Stance stances, you still need 50 skill points to make Peerless Combo even usable. And this is just for level 10! If you want it to actually approach something reasonable, you'll need Grimoires too. And again, at the minimum, you will need level 10 Grimoires for:

• Swallow Strike
  • Moon Shadow
  • Ground Strike
  • Peerless Combo

That's four Grimoire slots, and remember that you can have a maximum of six on a character. You have two slots left over, and you're almost certainly going to want to use one for Peerless Stance. If you use the last one for Upper Stance, you've effectively used up all of your Grimoire slots on just making one skill even vaguely competitive.

Post-Initiative
Requirements: Katana Mastery level 5
Body parts used: Legs

Raises damage dealt and non-base evasion until the end of the next turn. Has a 200% speed modifier at all levels.

lovely charge skill. The only notable thing about it is that its high speed modifier and "until end of next turn" bit mean you get the evasion on the turn you cast it, too. Note how I said "notable," not "good" or "worth using."

Perfect Chaser
Requirements: Katana Mastery level 5
Body parts used: Legs

Preps Perfect Chaser at the start of the turn. When an enemy is hit with a normal attack, the user will follow up with another attack. The chance of each chase happening goes down with each successive chase. Does not check for accuracy--will always hit.

Terrible Chaser skill. Theoretically has some use if you spec a party around stacking Double Attack Landsknechts around it, but why would you do that that makes no sense aaaaaaaaaa

Pre-Initiative
Requirements: Phys ATK Up level 8

Increases damage and non-base accuracy when attacking an enemy that hasn't taken their turn yet.

In theory, a decent passive that has an advantage over Phys ATK Up. In practice, potentially worthless since katanas impose speed penalties and multiple "good" Ronin skills have negative speed mods (80% for Swallow Strike, 30% for Ground Strike, 20% for Peerless Combo). Could be useful for Moon Shadow, but at that point, you already have +30 base accuracy.

Immovable
Force Boost

Pauses the duration of any active Stance. Reduces the TP cost of katana skills by 50%. Peerless Combo will not end Peerless Stance while Immovable is active.

Hoooooo boy, do I have words about Immovable. Immovable is the WORST Force Boost in the game, and is an incredibly big part of why Ronin are really unattractive compared to other damage classes.

The big strike against it is the fact that it DOESN'T GIVE A DAMAGE BONUS. Literally every other damage class gets a damage boost from their Force Boost, which let you turn up the heat for a bit and usually help immensely with burst strats, which are very much preferable in EO2U due to how bad quite a few of the bosses are.

Pausing the duration of an active Stance is nice, since it actually lets the Ronin function like a normal class for a few turns longer before they have to go back to wasting a turn setting up a stance again.

TP cost reduction is nice early on but worthless in the late and postgame since you have actual replenishable stocks of Amritas by that point.

Issen
Force Break

Deals ranged STR-based cut damage to all enemies. Damage scales linearly from 400% to 1200% based on user level. Attempts to instantly kill all enemies, with a 100% base success rate. The success rate is increased to 999% against enemies under 20% HP.

Issen is garbage damage compared to other Force Breaks. The only thing that makes it notable is the instant death.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
This is your regular reminder that early EO5 character submissions are still open. For reference, we currently have the following submissions for each class:

Fencer: Aniodia's Anya (1B)
Dragoon: BlackPersona's Nolan (3B), Grashbar's Sheila (2A)
Cestus: Level Seven's Duke (3B), Tyty's Jill (2A), GeminiSun's Amelie (Earthrun F)
Reaper: Dr. Fetus's Raven (1A), Tyty's Teyla (4A)
Warlock: AweStriker's Nille (4B)
Necromancer: blizzardvizard's Jude (1A)
Hound: Kemix's Ritz (1B), GeminiSun's Kaede (1A)
Masurao: GeminiSun's Momoka (1A)
Shaman: NONE
Herbalist: NONE

(alcharagia's Warlock is not listed because, being one of the co-authors of the LP, she is disqualified. Her entry was merely meant to stir up creativity.)

Want to get in on submitting your own character if you haven't yet? The EO5 intro update is over here, and character creation info is here. Remember to provide a voice for your character (I forgot to put that in the creation info), which can be sampled in the intro update. Remember, also, that you're free to submit as many classes as you want, with the caveat that only one character from you can win.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ronin were actually pretty decent in EOU. Their only problems there was that stances counted as buffs, not states, so they could be dispelled pretty easily.

Horse Slash is definitely the way to go in the early game. Trying to go for Peerless Combo (which is pretty much the only way they can keep up in the post-game) that early will make them useless. I wouldn't say Ronin are unviable in this game (I've seen people take down the DLC superboss with one, and that was without using cheese strats.) but yeah, if you're concerned with optimization, there are better options. They're not bad, they're just outclassed by everythig else. Kinda like the Bushi from EO4. With that said, I wouldn't be so quick to discount Issen. It is one of the few physical AOE Force Breaks in the game. Sub-par for single target damage, sure. But it has its uses.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 26, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bonus: Treasures Untold Part 1

Okay, let's get this started. :sigh:

Ah, yeh're takin' the one specifically for yeh, then...? What? Ain't that what it said? Guild only. See? Whaddaya mean, it didn't say that? Look here. Says that if anyone besides yeh took it, it'd end in some... big... mess... Haw haw haw! Guess it doesn't say that. I must'a dozed off while I was writin' the posting! Well, no harm done, since yeh lot picked it up anyhow! Haw haw haw! So here's the deal. This one came straight from the Palace, specifically for yeh lot to take. Yeh know the 25th floor yeh reached? They some kinda weird device in some kinda room near the end of the floor. What kinda device? Well, that's the thing. Nobody knows. And they wanna send someone who they know can handle it. Haw haw haw! Big payout for takin' more dangerous quests... bein' an explorer must be pretty rough! Anyhow, the contraption in question is 'round this area.

I think yeh oughta be fine, no matter what happens. G'luck!

Before we head out, let's take a look at the party.

I've farmed up Dragonbanes and Gold Belts for the party, as I want to increase everyone's stats as much as possible. Make sure to bring a lot of supplies for this quest, as it will be very resource intensive.

In the corner of this room, you find multiple box-shaped objects, placed as if to surround someone.

Could this be the device that the people from the Grand Duchy discovered?
Hmm... Yeah, just looking at this thing, I have no idea what it's supposed to do. It just looks like... boxes. That doesn't seem all that dangerous...

As determined by the terms of your request, you step forward to begin your investigation.

At your approach, a sudden high-pitched sound echoes from somewhere, and the boxes begin making bizarre noises! As if to complicate things further, you notice letters scrolling across the glass before you!

Amazing...! But I can't read these letters.
Looks related to the script High Lagaard uses, but it's older. A lot older...
I can probably manage to read--tch, dammit, it's going by too fast!

The flow of letters stops at once, as if taking Bertrand's grumbling as suggestion.

Huh!? I-Is this thing listening to what we're saying?
My, how polite! Thank you very much.
...Um, Sir Bertrand. Can you read what's written there?
Uh. Give me a sec. I'm not positive, but I think it's something like... battle... test... pro-gram?
Seems like it's asking us if we want some kind of combat exam.

May as well.

When you confirm the curious inquiry, the surrounding boxes start up a low hum that sounds almost like growling!

...I-I'm getting a bad feeling about this...
Aah!?

Anyone know what's going on here!?
No idea! That thing's coming at us, though--we don't have time for a discussion!

Well, there's a familiar looking face.

Each party member has their own thing to say about this fight when it's their turn.

Right, so Fenrir...

Fenrir
Level: 90
HP: 14000
STR: 70
TEC: 65
VIT: 64
AGI: 70
LUC: 51
Exp: 180000
Attack Type: Cut
Skills:
  • Horrific Roar: Uses the Head. Attempts to inflict fear on the entire party, with a 60% base chance. Has a 60% speed modifier.
  • Cold Fangs: Uses the Head. Deals 270% ranged TEC-based Ice damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 0% 100%
Disable resistances:
25% 100% 25% 50% 25% 25% 25%
0% 0% 10%
0% 25% 25%
Description: The leader of the pack, with snow-white fur and bloodthirsty fangs... The ultimate hunter.

Fenrir was the boss of the 1st Stratum in EO1 and EOU. He was a Sabre-toothed Tiger in the first game, despite being described as king of the wolves. The remake changed him to look more like a wolf. He was a very tough enemy to fight and take down, and was probably the main factor in turning a majority of the playerbase to the darkness and evils of Immunize. (Assuming the Ragelope wasn't already responsible for that.)

The remake was not so kind to him. Fenrir pretty much got degraded to a tutorial boss. In both EO1 and EOU, Fenrir had a pack of Skolls waiting outside the fight, that would join in once you start battling Fenrir. There was no way to deal with that in EO1. But EOU introduced a few items, the Flash Bombs, which stunned FOEs outside the fight to prevent them from joining in on battles, and Sonic Bombs, which disrupted charge moves. A character had to be dedicated to throwing Flash Bombs to prevent the Skolls from joining in. Fenrir could also charge up to use Howl, a move that would summon a Forest Wolf, which was not affected by Flash Bombs. You had to use a Sonic Bomb to prevent Fenrir from doing that. Unfortunately, Fenrir wasn't nearly as tough as his EO1 counterpart, and both Flash and Sonic Bombs were rarely used outside that fight.

If you were lucky, Fenrir had a chance of dropping the Wolf Grimoire, which came with the ability Wolf Pack. It boosted the entire party's damage output by 40% for one turn.

In this game, Fenrir is mostly the same as in EOU, but he lacks the ability to summon wolves here. And speaking of wolves...

Skoll
Level: 90
HP: 6500
STR: 60
TEC: 60
VIT: 52
AGI: 63
LUC: 48
Exp: 10000
Skills:
  • Silver Fang: Uses the Head. Deals 300% ranged TEC-based Ice damage to one party member. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Binding Howl: Uses the Head. Deals 40% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to each party member. Attempts to stun hit targets, with a 15% base chance. Has a 200% speed modifier and 160 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 50% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 100% 50% 50% 50% 50%
0% 0% 50%
50% 50% 50%
Description: Fenrir's packmate and companion, with an azure-hued coat. Do not be cornered by this duo!

Unlike in EOU, Fenrir starts out the fight with his lackeys. They're not particularly threatening, but Binding Howl is very annoying to be hit by. Unless you're trying to fill out your codex, ignore them and go straight for Fenrir. Killing him will end the fight. Though if you kill off a Skoll, they're gone for good, as Fenrir has no way of resummoning them.

The only real threatening part of this fight are the ice attacks from both Fenrir and the Skolls. Ice Wall helps mitigate that.

Gonna try to lock down Fenrir, though I don't expect it to work.

And standard setup stuff.

Binding Howl doesn't hit hard, but the stun is really annoying if it kicks in. Which it didn't here, thankfully.

Eh. Would've been nice if the paralysis landed, but it's not a dealbreaker if it doesn't.

Fenrir's only attack is Cold Fangs. He does have Horrific Roar, but honestly, he's not much of a threat.

He does have a decent chunk of HP, and this party isn't the best at offense.

Though Knight himself is pretty much the best in that department.

Even if a Wave won't deal much damage when there are multiple targets, it's a good way to get Delayed Chase to hit everything at once.

And Fenrir is now a sitting duck. Though it's a little late for that.

A quick and easy fight.

With the fight concluded, you notice that you are standing in the same place as you were before the battle. The monster you just defeated is nowhere to be seen, and there is nothing around you aside from the curious boxes.

That... wasn't a dream, right?
Nah. Hurts too much to be a dream. Nnh...
Still, I've got no idea what all that was about...
Hey. The smell hasn't changed. I didn't smell a monster or any grass at all.
Huh? Really?
I had not even considered the smell...
But if there weren't any smells...
...What's that even supposed to mean, Chloe?
Dunno.
All I know is that I only smelled you four. No monsters. That's all.

What could Chloe mean about the lack of other smells...? Glancing at each other in confusion, you notice that the letters on the glass seem to have changed slightly. It now displays: “Continuing battle program. Before you have a moment to process the danger in that sentence, you hear the boxes start up their low growling!

Oh come on! Aren't we done yet!?
Whoa!?

You're kidding me! Seriously, what is this!? Is that box calling out these monsters!?
Knight, let's hurry up and put these guys down!

Okay, so here's the actual gimmick of this DLC quest. You're put into a boss rush with several of the major bosses from EOU, the Seven Kings. There are 7 separate fights to go through, and you don't get any breaks in between, and their stats are scaled up for a level 99 party. And honestly, this has got to be one of the laziest DLC quests in the game. For the most part, all their AI routines are the same as they were in EOU, though some of them are adjusted slightly to account for the fact that enemies cannot be summoned in battle.

The problem with this? It's pretty clear that the devs didn't test this much, because the damage output on the bosses are completely overtuned. One wrong move is pretty much an instant game over. And while that's true for most of the bosses in this game, keep in mind that they follow attack patterns down to the letter, so through trial and error, you could at least find a good way to take them down. This is not the case with EOU's bosses, which just had the bosses attack randomly, but follow specific behaviors. And in EOU, their damage outputs were far lower than the bosses' damage outputs in EO2U, as that would make the fights complete dice rolls. Which this entire DLC is. Use Front Guard when the boss decided to cast a party wide Ice attack instead? Too bad, you lose!

Oh, and your party has to survive 7 fights, all of which are gonna need entirely different strategies to deal with. And for some reason, this piece of DLC was one of the ones that wasn't free when it first came out in the US. Even the Original Sin got that treatment. Anyways, let's take a look at our opponents.

Cernunnos
Level: 91
HP: 20000
STR: 94
TEC: 58
VIT: 70
AGI: 45
LUC: 47
Exp: 200000
Attack Type: Bash
Skills:
  • Silent Stare: Uses the Head. Attempts to bind the heads of each party member, with an 80% base chance. Has a 160% speed modifier.
  • Cross Counter: Uses the Arms. Nullifies all physical damage to Cernunnos for one turn, and counters physical damage with 200% melee STR-based damage to the source. Has a 600% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Horn Rush: Uses the Head. Deals 300% melee STR-based damage to one party member. Has a 200% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Combo Smash: Uses the Arms. Deals 200% melee STR-based damage to one party member, with splash damage. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Hurricane Punch: Uses the Arms. Deals 220% melee STR-based damage to each party member. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 40% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 50% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 25% 0% 25% 25% 25%
0% 0% 10%
50% 25% 0%
Description: The king of beasts, with a human body and the head of a terrible monster.

Cernunnos was the boss of the 2nd Stratum in EO1 and EOU. He was a pretty heavy hitter, but what made him especially more deadly was the ability to summon Healing Rollers (Known as Curollers in EO1.) Those little guys would heal Cernunnos and place a defense buff on everyone (physical in EO1, elemental in EOU), making it hard to take them out. Cernunnos also had access to a single target instant death attack in EO1, which he would start using once both of his Curollers were dead. It had a fairly low hit rate, and was one of his least threatening skills, as most of his other attacks could hit more than one person.

In the remake, the instant death skill was changed to be a party wide head bind. Cernunnos used his counter skill randomly in EO1, but in EOU, he uses it every 5 turns instead.

Cernunnos had a chance of dropping the Bull Grimoire, which came with the ability Forest Guardian. It reduced all the damage the party takes by 35% for the current turn.

In this game, Cernunnos no longer has the ability to summon Healing Rollers. Instead, he starts the fight with them. Silent Stare is always used on the first turn. But a change this game made to his AI (aside from getting rid of his ability to summon Healing Rollers) was that he uses Cross Counter every 4 turns instead of every 5 turns now. That's about it. He attacks randomly aside from that.

Healing Roller
Level: 91
HP: 6000
STR: 59
TEC: 65
VIT: 65
AGI: 48
LUC: 58
Exp: 15000
Skills:
  • Cure: Uses the Head. Heals Cernunnos for 2000% healing power (around 2600 HP). Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Holy Veil: Uses the Head. Increases all enemies' elemental defense by 50% for 4 turns. Has no speed modifier.
Damage resistances:
75% 75% 75% 100% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 50% 100% 50% 50%
10% 10% 50%
50% 50% 50%
Description: Summoned by Cernunnos, these creatures pose no threat alone, but there is strength in numbers.

You know how I said you could ignore the Skolls in the fight with Fenrir if you wanted to? Yeah this is not the case here. If you don't take them down first, they will slow down the fight and undo all the damage you do to Cernunnos. They're the biggest priority in this fight. They're also much more beefy than they were in EO1 and EOU since they can't be resummoned in this version of the fight.

Oh, and no. You're not healed up between fights. The state your party was in at the end of a fight will be the state they will be in at the start of the next fight.

I'll use Barrier to block Silent Stare.

And just setting up with everyone else. I wanna ensure that one of the Healing Rollers is locked down for a good while, so I'll have Flavio Paralyze one.

Okay, that's one nuisance I won't have to worry about for a while.

After this point, I really can't predict what Cernunnos will do next. Though his attacks are all physical, so I'll just have Bertrand spam Front Guard.

Oh just my luck. The other Healing Roller used Holy Veil. :argh:

My first priority? Get rid of those rollers!

Cernunnos' main form of offense is punching us in the face. Spamming Front Guard helps deal with that, but even his AOE moves hits the back row pretty hard.

At the very least, I can purge off Holy Veil on my intended targets, which are the Healing Rollers for now.

With both Healing Rollers Paralyzed, I could just ignore them and go straight for Cernunnos. But that depends on the Paralysis lasting for the entire fight, and I don't think I can take him down that fast.

Even with Front Guard, Cernunnos hits hard.

Though Ailing Slash + Vampire is a nice full heal to the front row.

That pose means that Cernunnos is using Cross Counter. As long as you don't hit him with a physical attack, you have nothing to worry about.

Finally got rid of one of them.

Yeah, don't bother with Cernunnos until you've gotten rid of both Healing Rollers. They healed for much less in EO1 and EOU. (100 in EO1, 180ish in EOU.) Really the main reason to kill them in those games was because of their defensive buffs, not the heal.

Hopefully I can take out that Healing Roller while dealing significant damage to Cernunnos.

Bah, both of those Healing Rollers just had to be in the back row. :argh:

Gonna use Blade Recoil on Cernunnos. I'm aware that he will use Cross Counter on this turn. However...

Cross Counter doesn't have priority. Now I can just focus down Cernunnos.

I'd love to finish off Cernunnos now, but he's really low on HP at this point, and I want Knight to have full Force for the next fight. So I'm just gonna stall out the fight for a bit.

...Okay, maybe that wasn't a good idea.

But it's nothing I can't recover from.

Oh screw you too, Cernunnos.

Okay this does not look good here, umm...

The good news is that this is a Cross Counter turn, so Cernunnos will not be punching my party in the face.

And after getting my party back up and running, I finally take him down.

That fight really took a toll on my party. I ended up burining a ton of supplies way earlier than I intended.

Oh, and none of the bosses or flunkies drop any items in this boss rush, so don't worry about that.

The stained glass surface before you still displays the same words: “Continuing battle program.”

Still continuing...

Oh boy. Fortunately, this is the last fight in this boss rush that has adds.

Queen Ant
Level: 92
HP: 17000
STR: 85
TEC: 68
VIT: 68
AGI: 52
LUC: 53
Exp: 220000
Skills:
  • Crunch: Uses the Head. Deals 300% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Queen's Verdict: Uses the Arms. Deals 3-4 instances of 180% melee STR-based Bash damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Duster: Uses the Legs. Reduces each party member's non-base accuracy by 500 for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict blind on each party member, with a 60% base chance. Has a 160% speed modifier.
  • Ruler's Eye: Uses the Head. Attempts to inflict panic on one party member, with a 900% base chance. Has a 900% speed modifier.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 50% 125% 100%
Disable resistances:
25% 50% 25% 25% 50% 25% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 0% 75%
Description: She commands a host of giant ants, constructing vast nests which obstruct adventurers.

Queen Ant (known as Royalant in EO1) was the 1st boss of the 3rd Stratum. You encountered her on the 12th floor, where her colony of ants was obstructing a mapping mission. In the original game, she actually had a weakness to Volt, which was changed to Ice in the remake. When you fought with Royalant, Blood Ants (known as Deathants in EO1) would spawn in the room and attempt to join the fight. There was nothing you could do about that. The Deathants would place an agility debuff on everyone, making Royalant hard to hit when combined with Duster, which had a decent chance of inflicting Blind and lowered everyone's accuracy. She could also heal herself for 275 HP. She would only use this if someone in your party used a skill on the last turn, her HP was below 50%, and if she was the last one left alive in the battle.

In the remake, her self heal was replaced with a skill that inflicted Panic on a single target instead. She uses it on the first turn, and on every 5th turn. Her boss room was reworked to have a puzzle in it. Queen Ant would lay some eggs around the room, which would spawn Blood Ants and Servitor Ants after a few turns. You could destroy those eggs, and if you solved the puzzle, get a preemptive attack on Queen Ant before she had a chance to lay anymore.

Queen Ant had a chance to drop the Queen Grimoire, which came with the ability Queen's Mark. It decreased everyone's priority for the current turn, resulting in everyone to move last. Yes, it's as useless as it sounds.

She hasn't really changed at all in this game aside from stats. She hits pretty hard and loves to lower your party's accuracy. Which is much easier to deal with in this game, since you can purge that with Unihorns. It was a lot harder to deal with in EOU, especially if you were playing Story mode, since the Story party there had no way to dispel debuffs.

Blood Ant
HP: 6000
STR: 80
TEC: 63
VIT: 60
AGI: 50
LUC: 52
Exp: 20000
Skills:
  • Attack Unit: Uses the Legs. Increases one row's physical attack by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 150% speed modifier.
Damage resistances:
100% 75% 100% 50% 150% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 50% 50% 50% 50%
10% 10% 50%
0% 0% 0%
Description: These giant members of the colony will protect their queen, no matter the cost...

In EO1, Deathants decreased your party's agility. In EOU, they increase one row's physical attack power instead.

Binds won't work on them in this game, but they're not really a threat. In fact, feel free to ignore them. Though you can take them out pretty easily if you want to. The attack buff is probably something to be concerned about, though you can purge it off with Ad Nihilo or Metopons pretty easily.

Servitor Ant
HP: 7000
STR: 65
TEC: 63
VIT: 75
AGI: 50
Exp: 24000
Skills:
  • Defense Unit: Uses the Legs. Increases one row's physical defense by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 150% speed modifier.
Damage resistances:
100% 75% 100% 50% 150% 100%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
10% 10% 10%
50% 50% 50%
Description: These giant members of the colony are known to line up in formation, and repel assailants.

The Servitor Ants are pretty much the opposite of Blood Ants. Instead of increasing a row's attack power, they increase their physical defense instead. You can't lock them down with ailments, only binds will work. Take them out if you want, though they can prolong the fight.

Since Queen Ant always opens up the fight with Ruler's Eye, I'm gonna have Chloe put a stop to that.

Gonna try to lock down Queen Ant if I can.

Unfortunately, Barrier spamming is what Chloe tends to be limited to in the post-game. It really is overpowered, but necessary due to how many bosses love to make use of ailments here.

Looks like the Paralysis was a no go.

Oh well.

I still have Knight.

May as well clear out the ants if I cant.

And there's some decent damage.

Finishing up the combo, yadda yadda yadda.

Without an ailment, Chloe really can't do too much.

And now Queen Ant is completely helpless.

Everyone is starting to run low on TP, so I'm gonna have Arianna use her Force Break. Yes, I'm aware this is only the 3rd fight. But I really don't see many places where I would get much use out of her Force Boost.

Wiped out a few ants during Knight's rampage.

Oh geez, talk about lucky. And more damage and Knight would have started out the next fight with an empty Force Boost.

No respect.

Queen Ant isn't all that tough. She's just annoying. However, the next fight is where things get dicey.

The stained glass surface before you still displays the same words: “Continuing battle program.”

Sheesh, still more!?

Corotrangul
Level: 94
HP: 33000
STR: 95
TEC: 80
VIT: 62
AGI: 57
Exp: 240000
Skills:
  • Ice Breath: Uses the Head. Deals 300% ranged TEC-based Ice damage to each party member. Has a 50% speed modifier and 180 base accuracy.
  • Flood: Uses the Arms. Deals 400% ranged TEC-based Ice damage to 3-5 random targets. Can hit the same target once at most. Attempts to inflict sleep on hit targets, with a 40% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Tackle: Uses the Legs. Deals melee 170% STR-based Bash damage to one target, with line-piercing effect. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Coiling Tail: Uses the Legs. Attempts to bind every body part of one party member, with an 80% base chance. Has a 150% speed modifier.
  • Freeze Aura: Uses the head. Increases Corotrangul's physical/elemental attack by 50% for 6 turns. Has no speed modifier.
  • Aqua Veil: Uses the Head. Decreases Corotrangul's Fire resistance by -140% for 6 turns. Has a 150% speed modifier.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 0% 75%
Disable resistances:
0% 50% 0% 25% 0% 50% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 0%
Description: A guardian beast of the forest folk, its name means "one from the sea" in a forgotten tongue.

Corotrangul (known as Cotrangl in EO1) was the 2nd boss of the 3rd Stratum in EO1 and EOU. Yeah it had 2 Stratum bosses, kind of like how the 5th Stratum in this game had Juggernaut and Overlord as bosses. Anyways, as your party was going deeper into the Labyrinth, they ran into a girl named Kupala. She lived in the Labyrinth, and didn't want anyone getting into the 4th Stratum. As the adventurers was about to enter it, she summoned Corotrangul to drive them away. It didn't work.

Cotrangl didn't have any special gimmicks in EO1. All he really did was hit your party really really hard. He had 2 difference Ice attacks, one of which could put you to sleep, and was capable of disabling the party. He could also get rid of his weakness to fire attacks, and debuff your party's attack power.

In the remake, not much has changed. Corotrangul's ability to lower the party's offenses was replaced with the ability to increase his own offenses for a few turns. Corotrangul always uses Ice Breath on the first turn, and uses Freeze Aura on every 5th turn. When his HP got low enough, he starts making use of Coiling Tail, Flood, and Aqua Veil. If Corotrangul did not have the Aqua Veil buff for any reason, he would just reapply whenever he could. Sometimes he casted his skills in this sequence: Freeze Aura → Aqua Veil → Flood → Ice Breath. Though that wasn't always the case.

Corotrangul had a chance to drop the Sea Grimoire, which came with the ability Abyssal Prayer. It lowered the TP cost for all allies by 10 for the current turn. Not particularly useful.

Corotrangul is where this DLC really starts getting terrible. Both Ice Breath and Flood hit really hard, so you think spamming Ice Wall would be the best way to go about this fight. Well, it is. The problem is that Corotrangul also has access to Coiling Tail and Tackle. And if Coiling tail lands an arm bind on your Ice Wall user, or Tackle kills them, pray that Corotrangul doesn't use Ice Breath or Flood on the next turn, as that means you'll be seeing the game over screen shortly. This is kind of where the strategy of these boss fights start to boil down to “get lucky” and it sucks.

I'll have Bertrand block Ice Breath.

Oh by the way, take a closer look at Corotrangul's ailment resistances. Everything Flavio can inflict? Yeah, he can't inflict any of his ailments on Corotrangul. And it's only those ailments he's immune to! :argh: So Flavio's relegated to ranged attacker for this fight.

Unfortunately, the fact that Flavio can't inflict anything on Corotrangul means that Ailing Slash hits for middling damage.

There's Ice Breath in action.

Now I'm gonna try for a head bind to see if I can give myself some breathing room. Chloe has about a 47% chance of pulling this off.

I have no idea what Corotrangul is gonna do next, so I'm guess he's either going for a buff, or using a physical attack. Corotrangul can't use Flood yet with how his AI works.

Oh, that was lucky!

...Even more so. Okay, so Corotrangul actually tried to use Ice Breath here. Which would have wiped out my party since I had Bertrand use Front Guard. This is what I mean by the fights coming down to luck. One wrong move like that, and it's all over. I happened to be very lucky that I had Chloe land the head bind when she did.

At any rate, it's time for Knight to start wrecking faces.

Now that Corotrangul is head bound, I'm just gonna spend the rest of Chloe's turns using Ailing Slash.

Ooh, nice. 9% of Corotrangul's HP right there.

And with help from Arianna, Knight took off over 25% of his max HP right there.

Oh and here's a really annoying change EO2U made to Corotrangul's AI. Every time he gets hit with a fire attack, he uses Aqua Veil if he doesn't have the buff up. And this does not use up his turn, like in EOU.

While I was going to have Chloe just use Ailing Slash again, I really have no idea what Corotrangul is going to do, so I'm gonna play it safe and use Barrier. Just in case it decides to use Coiling Tail on Bertrand, because that is essentially an instant game over if that happens.

This was also when I decided that Corotrangul using a physical was not as deadly as him freezing my party to death.

And for Knight to even deal any more damage, I'm gonna purge off that buff.

Oh hey, Corotrangul has started to make use of Flood. How swell.

Corotrangul's HP is starting to get low, and an Accelerate combo would finish him off, which is not what I want. I really want Knight to start off the next fight with a full Force Gauge.

Not much left to the fight.

Unlike in EOU, Corotrangul uses Freeze Aura every 6 turns instead of every 5 turns. It also got changed to be an end of turn action.

After a few more turns of smacking the manta ray around, Corotrangul finally goes down.

if you had trouble with that fight, trust me when I say that you are not going to like the next one.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 26, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bonus: Treasures Untold Part 2

Ugh, fine! C'mon, bring it!

Iwaoropenelep
Level: 97
HP: 31000
STR: 97
TEC: 90
VIT: 68
AGI: 80
LUC: 62
Exp: 260000
Skills:
  • Thunderwing: Uses the Arms. Deals 500% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to each party member. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 50% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 65 base accuracy.
  • Pinion Spear: Uses the Arms. Deals 6-8 instances of 190% melee STR-based Stab damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has an 80% speed modifier and 65 base accuracy.
  • Deathbringer: Uses the Head. Deals 200% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member, with splash damage. Attempts to inflict petrification on hit targets, with a 40% base chance. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Grip: Uses the Legs. Deals 280% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member. Attempts to bind the target's arms, with a 50% base chance. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Wind Breath: Uses the Arms. Deals 120% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to each party member. Attempts to stun hit targets, with a 50% base chance. Has a 200% speed modifier and 200 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 50% 125% 50%
Disable resistances:
25% 0% 0% 0% 25% 0% 25%
0% 0% 10%
50% 0% 25%
Description: A guardian bird of the forest folk, its name means "one who cracks boulders".

gently caress THIS BOSS! The first few times I attempted this DLC, he put an end to most of those runs because it was nearly impossible to anticipate what was coming next. Anyways, Iwaoropenelep (known as Iwaopeln in EO1) was the boss of the 4th Stratum. Once the party got into the 4th Stratum, a race of people known as the Forest Folk, were discovered, and they were obstructing all explorers from going any further for reasons unknown. Because of that, the guild who was making the most headway into exploring the Labyrinth was assigned a mission. The mission? Annihilate the Forest Folk. The town of Etria's economy was extremely dependent on explorers going through the Labyrinth, and these Forest Folk were getting in the way of that. So the guild essentially performed genocide in the name of tourism. Well that was the stated reason behind their mission. In reality, the person who assigned the mission was trying to get the guild killed by the Forest Folk. This did not go according to plan. The party killed all the Forest Folk who got in their way until they got to the 20th floor. There, Kupala (who had been trying to convince them to back off throughout the 4th Stratum) and the last of the Forest Folk decided to make one last stand. Kupala summoned Iwaoropenlep to deal with the guild once and for all. Okay, the details of this got changed in EOU's Story mode, but explaining that mess would take much longer than the explanation I gave here.

Iwaopeln was a special boss. In fact, he wasn't just a boss fight, he was an endurance test. If you tried to kill Iwaopeln, he would just respawn instantly. There were a total of 14 FOEs you had to kill all at once on the 20th floor. Leaving the Labyrinth at any point caused them all to respawn. Only by annihilating the last of the Forest Folk, could Iwaopeln be slain for good. In the remake, this was changed to a puzzle room and a stealth segment. You had to sneak up Iwaoropenelep before he noticed you, as that would cause every Forest Folk FOE to get aggressive and attempt to join in on the fight.

In EO1, Iwaopeln hits pretty hard and had a bunch of ailments at his disposal. He also had the ability to increase his AGI, making him faster and harder to hit. In the remake, the ability to make himself faster was replaced with an Almighty attack that had a chance to stun everyone. Thunderwing was a fairly accurate attack in EO1, but it got an accuracy nerf in EOU, and part of the fight revolves around that. Iwaoropenelep always uses Thunderwing on the first turn, but when he used it afterward was random. It had a cooldown of 1 turn, but Iwaoropenelep could choose to use it 2 turns later. But as the fight went on, Iwaoropenelep was more likely to use it every other turn. He was a fairly tough fight in that game.

He had a chance to drop the Sky Grimoire, which came with the ability Phoenix Wings. It gave the entire party priority for the current turn.

Now in this game, Iwaoropenelep is pure bullshit. The damage he can deal through his attacks is just too high. You have to worry about both Thunderwing and his physicals. If you make a wrong prediction and have your Protector use the wrong mitigation move, you lose. If your Volt Wall user happens to get disabled through an ailment, hope you don't mind redoing this entire boss rush all over again if Iwaoropenelep decides to use Thunderwing on the next turn! Yeah, I'm sorry, but I really don't have much to say about this guy other than, hope you don't get screwed over.

The only thing predictable about Iwaoropenelep is that he uses Thunderwing on the first turn, and a different move after that. After that, I'm on my own.

I can't Paralyze him, but I can still Blind him, so that should make things a bit easier.

And things just got a bit easier.

Not happening.

Tired of the Transform theme yet?

Too bad, there are a few more fights to go. I didn't realize it at the time, but using a level 1 Ice Wave would have dealt much more damage than using a level 20 Fire or Thunder Wave. Oh well.

I know a physical move will come out on this turn. But on the next one, Iwaoropenelep could either use Thunderwing or another physical. Guessing wrong will be a major setback/instant game over. What a great boss fight.

Yikes. Not having Ice Wave at a high level is really biting me in the butt here.

Delayed Chase and Link Order don't do much when hitting resistances either.

Fortunately, Ailing Slash is a more reliable form of damage in my case. Unfortunately, the Blind wore off.

And now Flavio has nothing better to do aside from dealing damage.

This is really pathetic compared to Knight's normal damage output.

If Iwaoropenelep hasn't used Thunderwing for 2 turns in a row, it's generally a safe bet to use Volt Wall on the next turn. Keyword: Generally.

I really don't like taking risks when they don't have a lot of reward, so I'm setting up a safety net here.

Thunderwing is negated.

Iwaoropenelep's physicals have a decent chance of inflicting ailments, and I don't feel like playing dangerously, so I'm using Barrier here.

Pinion Spear ended up killing a few of my party members, but Dauntless Order saved them, thankfully.

Instead of using Fire or Thunder Wave, I'm using Meteor Smash instead, because I really don't have any better options.

I really have no choice but to have Bertrand use Volt Wall on this turn, even if Thunderwing will come out on the next turn or something. It's just a risk I can't take.

Okay, that's some really nice damage.

Oh, Wind Breath came out instead. There's nothing I can do about that, aside from using Sentinel Guard. But considering the damage from Wind Breath isn't much, and that using Sentinel Guard would leave me wide open on the next turn, using it would be a very stupid move.

Eventually Iwaoropenelep goes down.

I really wish I could say that fight is the worst this DLC has to offer. It isn't.

...I'm starting to get tired. And bored.

Manticore
Level: 95
HP: 24000
STR: 95
TEC: 72
VIT: 65
AGI: 55
LUC: 64
Exp: 280000
Skills:
  • Demon's Croon: Uses the Head. Attempts to inflict sleep and fear on each party member, with a 35% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Dark Claw: Uses the Arms. Deals 140% melee STR-based Cut damage to each party member. Attempts to inflict blind and curse on hit targets, with a 25% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Poison Tail: Uses the Legs. Deals 90% melee STR-based Stab damage to each party member. Attempts to inflict poison on hit targets, with a 50% chance and 100 base Poison damage (around 230 adjusted for level). Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Petra Voice: Uses the Head. Attempts to inflict petrification and panic on each party member, with a 30% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 50% 50% 50%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
Description: A grotesque creation, known equally for its vast intelligence and its deadly poisons.

Were you hoping to get through this boss rush by making heavy use of ailments? Too bad, Manticore is here to tell you to go gently caress yourself, because it's immune to everything! And for the record, this was absolutely not the case in EOU. It had a 30% resistance to everything aside from Stuns, which he had a 20% resistance to.

Manticore (Manticor in EO1) was an optional boss that resided in the 4th Stratum. In EO1, you have to search a specific spot on the 18th floor to unlock a passage to his domain earlier in the Stratum. In EOU, you had to complete a couple of quests to get the opportunity to fight him instead. He didn't really change much between EO1 and EOU. In both EO1 and EOU, Manticore had a passive that had a chance to halve all incoming damage. Although this was not communicated to the player in EO1 because who knows. EOU had Manticore visibly shield himself with his wings if it activated.

He had a chance to drop the Poison Grimoire, which came with the ability Yggdra Vaccine. It blocked the effects of all ailments headed toward the party's way on the current turn. But it had no effects on binds, instant death, or stuns.

In this game, Manticore no longer has the damage block passive. Instead, the devs just made him immune to all ailments. I'll be honest, I would have preferred the damage block passive over that instead.

My main strategy for this fight is for Chloe to spam Barrier. Because that's all she can really do at this point. Ailing Slash can't do much without an ailment. All of Manticore's attacks have an ailment attached to them.

I'm actually a little hesitant to use Transform here, since Knight's elementals won't do too much to Manticore.

I went through with it anyway, because I don't have that many options for dealing damage.

Ech.

Fortunately, Manticore himself doesn't do much outside of his ailments. His attacks don't hit that hard.

I'm setting up a bit of a buffer with Prevent Order, in case Chloe needs to do anything else.

Such as using Ailing Slash.

Now that's more like it!

And then I decided to use Chloe's Force Break because everyone is really low on HP, and I don't want Knight to get incapacitated by ailments after his Accelerate ramapge.

Ouch. Yeah, if your elementals won't do much to a boss, use Meteor Smash instead. That's more than 20% of Manticore's HP right there.

After a few more turns of beating up Manticore, he finally goes down.

Manticore can either be a minor nuisance, or a complete nightmare to deal with depending on your party setup. Barrier really makes him a lot less threatening, but if you didn't have that, he becomes a lot more scary. Especially since he can't be locked down in any way. Actually if you don't have any way to prevent ailments, you're hosed, plain and simple.

But we have come this far, have we not? Let us face its challenges until the very end!

Alraune
Level: 99
HP: 47000
STR: 97
TEC: 95
VIT: 70
AGI: 59
LUC: 75
Exp: 300000
Skills:
  • Flame Sigh: Uses the Arms. Deals 600% melee TEC-based Fire damage to one party member, with splash damage. Has no speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
  • Frost Smile: Uses the Head. Deals 420% ranged TEC-based Ice damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Attempts to stun hit targets, with a 40% base chance. Has a 130% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
  • Lightning: Uses the Head. Deals 320% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to each party member. Attempts to bind hit targets' heads, with a 25% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
  • Tendril Thrash: Uses the Legs. Deals 4-5 instances of 150% melee STR-based Bash damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Vampiric Kiss: Uses the Head. Deals 200% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member. Heals Alraune for 400% of the damage dealt. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Ancient Pollen: Uses the Head. Attempts to inflict blind, paralysis, panic, sleep, curse, fear, and petrification on each party member, with a 20% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Spider Lily: Uses the Head. Attempts to instantly kill one party member, with a 60% base chance. Has a 130% speed modifier.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 0% 0%
Disable resistances:
0% 50% 25% 25% 0% 25% 0%
0% 0% 10%
0% 25% 50%
Description: Likely a mutation of forest folk and native flora, they can ensnare the mind into oblivion.

Alraune didn't really change much from the transition from EO1 to EOU, aside from some of the target types on her attacks being changed. She was an optional boss that resided in the 2nd Stratum. To get to her, you had to take a quest, which would cause her to spawn in a specific room.

She had a chance of dropping the Tree Grimoire, which came with the ability Offering Robe. Which prevented the user from dying by any means on the current turn. It even blocks the effects of Instant Death.

I'll cut to the chase. Her AI in EOU is as follows:

• Can use Tendril Thrash at any time.
  • Ancient Pollen is always used every 6th turn.
  • Only has access to the above moves and Flame Sigh from 100% to 76%.
  • From 75% to 51%, she gains access to Frost Smile.
  • From 50% to 26%, she gains access to Lightning.
  • From 26% to 0%, she uses all of her skills randomly.

And she behaves in the exact same way in EO2U. Unfortunately, like with Iwaoropenelep, Alraune is basically a dice roll. Guess wrong and use the wrong mitigation skill, and you'll be looking at the game over screen in no time, because her damage got ramped up to unreasonable levels in EO2U. I'm sorry, but there really isn't much I can tell you how to deal with this boss aside from what I've already told you.

Unfortunately, I forgot just how Alraune's AI worked in EOU when I was going through this fight, so I ended up giving her a free opening by trying to block a move she can't even use yet! :cripes:

The main reason I made use of the Paralysis food instead of the Blind food was because Paralysis is the only ailment Alraune can be hit by. And she was the other main roadblock in my attempts at this DLC. I really don't feel like losing on the home stretch.

This fight is so incredibly luck based that I'm setting up a safety net first instead of using Attack Order. That's how bad Alraune is.

Bah. With that high a LUC stat and her 25% resistance to Paralysis, I'm not surprised it didn't land.

Oh, this is going to be ugly.

I'm off to a great start!

Thankfully, unlike with Iwaoropenelep and Manticore, Knight can output some heavy damage here.

As much as I would love to boost Knight's damage, reviving Chloe takes priority here.

HOLY COW YES! That will make this fight so much easier to deal with.

Not much damage now, but that's mainly because Knight doesn't have Attack Order on him.

It is time for pain. :getin:

Oh, that's much better.

I'm turning on Flavio's Force Boost now to get some extra damage out of him.

Eh, well every little bit helps.

I can't believe Alraune is still Paralyzed. Oh well, not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

Aw, the Paralysis wore off. Not that it matters, because this is the 6th turn, meaning that she'll use Ancient Powder, which I can block with Barrier.

I'm not gonna use Akashic Nova just yet, because Alraune still has a bunch of HP left.

I'll use up Flavio's Force Break though, since Illusion Step is much less useful than Transform.

Let the carnage begin.

Over like 9600 damage. Beautiful.

And an extra 3800 on top of that!

Denied.

I don't want anyone incapacitated by any ailments, so I'm using Barrier.

As insurance, I'll use a Shield Protected Sentinel Guard and use Perfect Defense on the next turn.

I want Knight to Transform immediately after using Force Reset, so I'll have Flavio and Arianna toss an Axcela his way.

Uh oh. Alraune decided to use Lightning here.

Bah. A minor setback. Though yeah, keep in mind both Sentinel Guard and Shield Protect were reducing how much damage Lightning did to the party. If I didn't mitigate that at all, game over. Period.

Alraune isn't super low on HP, but she is below 50%. So you know what I'm gonna do?

GO BIG OR GO HOME! :black101:

Burning Perfect Defense now means that I won't have any guaranteed way to deal with Alraune's attacks if Knight's Accelerate rampage fails to kill her.

This is it! GOGOGOGOGO!

HERE WE GO!

AHAHHAHA YEEEEESSSSS! EAT IT YOU POORLY DESIGNED PIECE OF poo poo DLC!

Hoo boy! I cannot believe I actually made it through that! And that's it for Treasures Untold.

Uhh... let's see. Battle test complete. Shutting down the program...?
Shutting down?
N-No idea what the heck that means... but 'complete' means that we're done, right!? It's over, right!?

You remain cautious for a while longer... but it seems nothing more is happening.

*sigh* That was quite nerve-wracking.
We were taken to all manner of places, and fought all sorts of monsters... but how did such a thing happen?
Don't know.
But what I do know... is that this is very dangerous.

The choice you pick here has a slight effect on the ending of the quest. Don't worry, it's just flavor text. For now, let's go with the less satisfying option.

We should report that in detail.
Indeed. We should encourage extra caution when investigating this, or even simply approaching it.
Will that really be enough?
...It is dangerous, so we can try to scare 'em off. Tell them not to go in unless they want to fight for their lives, that kinda thing.
I gotta say, though, Chloe. Worried over people you haven't even met? Maybe you really are getting more considerate.
Yeah, really. Used to be she wouldn't even think of something like that. I'm not complaining, of course.
Do you believe so? I thought that Dame Chloe has always been quite kind.

I could use some dinner.
Mm, I'm hungry too. We should hurry back to town and get something to eat. Lots of food.
Aaand she's back to normal.
Hmhmhm... Well then, let's quickly finish our report and go enjoy a meal together, yes?

You nod at her suggestion, and start back toward town.

And let's see what happens when we choose the fun option.

Then let's destroy it.
Huh!? D-Destroy it!? But this was just an investigation request!
But if we just leave it here, it'll be dangerous.
True, it would be dangerous if someone were to touch it without being prepared for such vicious trials...
You know, if this thing calls monsters up, it's going to be a problem for the Grand Duchy's investigation team, too.
Hm... I guess I see your points, and why it might be good to destroy it... but still--
Hoomph!

Sounds of stuff breaking.

While Flavio is fretting to himself, Chloe ambles up to a box, and abruptly slams her weapon down, breaking it!

G-Gah! Whoa, Chloe!? We weren't done discussing yet!
But Knight was the one that said to destroy it first.
Well, I mean... that's true, but...
Then again... if you've already broken a part of it, I guess it's too late for second-guessing...
Pretty much. Well, c'mon. Let's hurry up and break the rest apart.
Very well!

Your minds made up, you set about destroying the curious network of boxes...

...There. I believe we've destroyed all of them.
Phew. Took a lot out of me!
Now it'll be safe.
Is it really okay for us to just... you know, break all this stuff?
They didn't tell us not to destroy it.
What are you, five!?
It'll be all right, Sir Flavio. It wasn't intended as a spiteful act, so I'm certain they will understand.
Mm. It'll be okay if we're honest.
Well, that's about all we can do, then. Should we head back to report in?

You have fulfilled your duty! All that remains is to report your success to the bar.

Cass' dialogue here differs depending on the choice you made. If you didn't destroy the boxes:

Hey, yeh lot still in one piece? Hmm? Boxes that made monsters attack yeh outta nowhere, and took yeh to random places...? Sounds like a real doozy. Guess it really was meant for yeh lot. Good thing m'little slip-up didn't get anyone killed! Haw haw haw! Welp, that's that. I'll just tell the Grand Duchy to be careful about investigatin' any more. Huh? No, I get it, I know yeh're not kiddin'... awright, I get it, it's real scary! I'll make sure I tell 'em. Anyhow, good work! Here's yer reward. Take it home!

If you did destroy them:

Hey, yeh lot still in one piece? Hmm? Boxes that made monsters attack yeh outta nowhere, and took yeh to random places...? Sounds like a real doozy. And yeh... Wait, yeh did what now? ...Maybe my ears ain't workin' properly. Just... say that one more time. ...Yeh... yeh crushed it. Yeh crushed the very box yeh were supposed to be investigatin'. ...Pff... Haw haw haw haw!!! I can't believe this! Yeh know what “investigate" means, don't yeh? Yeh were just supposed to examine the box! The decision was s'posed to be for the higher-ups only! Haw haw haw! A-haw, haw heh... phew, okay, I think I've had my share of laughs for a year! Yeh lot are... interestin', yeh know that? Hmm? Neh, don't worry about it. If yeh say it's dangerous, then it's probably even more danger to normal explorers. I'll go butter up the Grand Duchy. When yeh tried to activate it, it up and broke on yeh. So sad, can't be helped, yadda yadda. Here, take the reward, and be proud yeh did a job well done! And... Haw haw haw! Be proud of givin' me a drat hilarious story!

Not worth it. Formaldehydes aren't even as great in this game as they are in the other EO games. Mainly because the conditional drops in this game are fairly reasonable to get, for the most part.

Though I guess you could use this quest to grind up a party retired from level 99.

Alright, let's see what's left.

...No. gently caress this. I'm done.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 26, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh no you're not :unsmigghh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Do it. :colbert:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

There's a [62], [86], and [257] where I think a few images are supposed to go in those 2 parts.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Are you, though? Are you really? :getin:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Booky posted:

There's a [62], [86], and [257] where I think a few images are supposed to go in those 2 parts.

Are you, though? Are you really? :getin:

Oh, whoops. Those were leftover tags for images I decided not to use. Got rid of them, thanks.

You're all out for blood, huh? You're gonna have to wait. I'm not posting it (or the rest of the Story updates) until Ragnar is done with his LP. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that the attempt that will be posted here will be a successful one.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dr. Fetus posted:

YOU CAN'T RUN FROM IT FOREVER FETUS!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord, how deep does this DLC go?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

Good lord, how deep does this DLC go?

The last DLC is an amplified version of the postgame superboss. Basically, take a boss with a neat idea but loving atrocious implementation, and amplify all of the bad parts while reducing the good ideas.

Also the floor it takes place on has both fog rooms and FOEs THAT MOVE RANDOMLY WHAT THE gently caress ATLUS

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And don't worry. The FOEs and the boss are both much worse than they sound. :shepicide:

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Name: Dak
Class: Herbalist
Portrait: Herbalist 3A
Skin Tone: Row 1, Column 5
Hair: Row 1, Column 3
Eyes: Row 1, Column 2
Voice: Meek

Generally cheerful and bright, Dak is nonetheless a skilled healer who knows the value a talented doctor can bring to an adventuring party. While his patients would swear he was trying to kill them at the time, all of his remedies have turned out to ease the pain and suffering of those who have sought him out. Despite his skill, he still lacks the necessary funds to properly treat his sister, Dis, who has lived her entire life bedridden. He has chosen to take up the sword (or his herbs, as it more often is) to collect the necessary ingredients for his sister's convalescence. Polite, friendly, and cowardly, Dak has faced his fears and is determined to do what is necessary to help his sister.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Name: Wanna
Class: Herbalist
Portrait: 4B
Voice: Airhead

Once a renowned professional in the medicinal department, Wanna lost her medical license because her crippling addiction to herbs got in the way of her job. After that, she lived out on the streets for a good while, feeding her herb addiction in the meantime, while annoying the townsfolk severely with her stream of consciousness ramblings. She was viewed as a waste of space and a complete nuisance by the townspeople, and so they made a suggestion to her that she should explore the Labyrinth, where she would hopefully die or just be gone for a good long while, never bothering them again. She agreed, not really understanding what she was agreeing to, because she was high as gently caress at the time. She doesn't mind sharing her herbs with others. In fact, she's a little too generous with them, to the point of giving others overdoses. Though she tends to get snippy with people who demand for more after that. She also wishes that those stupid monsters would let her smoke her herbs in peace.

Name: Gabbo
Class: Shaman
Voice: Invigorating

A poet at heart, or so he claims to be. To everyone's annoyance, he has no idea when to stop talking. The worst part is he never speaks like a normal person would, always talking in poems, riddles, iambic pentameter, limericks, and excessive use of rhymes. Though he loathes puns. Gabbo set out for the Labyrinth to get more inspiration for the written arts. He thinks he's blind, but in reality he just needs a haircut.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 67: Multi-Arm Clubbing?! (Lumen vs. Hecatoncheires)

...Wait, what happened while we were sleeping?
The universe ended. It was just Realga, Stardust and I in a big, red void.
Oooookay. And why is the universe intact right now?
I fixed it by time travelling everything.
Ooooooooookay, Sophie, let's get going to breakfast! C'mon, move it!
Ooh, I hope Regina has monster pancakes again!
...Why did you tell her that? Did you tell her about the...others?
I dunno, it's fun to talk about. And no.
Good. ...I doubt she would've believed you if you said you saw a...Ronin, I guess, with bunny ears and someone less than half our height, anyway.

Zack's along for the ride because I needed a source of bash damage for Hecatoncheires's conditional.

...Yes, I forgot that Ranger, during Transform, has a skill that deals bash damage. Don't judge me.

SYSTEM: However, its very being overflows with choking malice and raw, primal violence! This is the true monster that has existed for countless ages, and devoured guards and adventurers alike... Hecatoncheires! Though you may be overcome with fear, there can be no retreat from this monstrosity! Your duty is to exterminate the fearsome titan before you. Leap into action, and confront this abomination!
I can barely see that thing and I already know that I don't like it.

Yeeeeeeeeep, I really don't like it.
Eating around all of those nails is gonna be annoying.

I hope my effects don't blind us in the fog...

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Hecatoncheires :siren:

Hecatoncheires
HP: 77000, STR: 92, TEC: 60, VIT: 70, AGI: 36, LUC: 61
Skills:
  • Hellish Wail: Uses the head. Reduces each party member's maximum HP by 50% for 6 turns. Attempts to inflict curse on each party member, with a 60% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
  • Colossal Meteor: Uses the arms. Deals 400% melee STR-based bash damage to each party member. Has a 60% speed modifier and 10 base accuracy.
  • Hundred Strikes: Uses the arms. Deals 180% melee STR-based bash damge to 3-5 random targets. Can hit the same target once at most. Attempts to bind hit targets' legs, with a 100% base chance. Lowers hit targets' non-base evasion by 500 for 4 turns. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Grinding Mace: Uses the arms. Deals 150% melee STR-based Bash damage to the front row. Reduces hit targets' physical defense by 50% for 4 turns. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Binding Spike: Uses the arms. Deals 300% melee STR-based bash damage to the back row. Attempts to bind hit targets' heads, with a 50% base chance. Has a 200% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Giant Skin. 100% chance. Sells for 23000 en. 1 needed to make Giant's Gown (+66 DEF, +30 HP).
    "Patchwork skin of the thousand-handed giant. It's obvious this isn't its original skin."
  • Conditional: Broken Stake (Kill with bash damage). 100% chance. Sells for 30000 en. 1 needed to make Wolfram Nail (+231 ATK, +40 HP, +4 VIT).
    "One of the countless stakes in the monster. The deeper-driven ones are less given to rot."
Damage resistances:
125% 125% 125% 150% 150% 150%
Disable resistances:
25% 75% 25% 50% 0% 0% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 25%

A construct whose many hands each hold a weapon. It unleashes a tireless barrage...

Hecatoncheires is a heavily patternized boss that deals incredibly heavy physical damage. I could really just say that and you'd probably be able to see where this fight's going. Fighting him really comes down to knowing who in your party's going to be hit by whatever's coming up, especially Binding Spike since that can really easily one-shot your back row.

His pattern goes something like this:

• Phase 1 (Start of fight):
    • Turn 1: Hellish Wail
    • Turn 2: Grinding Mace
    • Turn 3: Attack
  • Phase 2 (End of phase 1 to 70% HP):
    • Turn 1: Colossal Meteor
    • Turn 3: Attack
    • Loops until next phase
  • Phase 3 (70% HP):
    • Turn 3: Binding Spike
  • Phase 4 (End of phase 3 to 40% HP):
    • Turn 3: Binding Spike
    • Loops until next phase
  • Phase 5 (40% HP):
    • Turn 2: Binding Spike
    • Turn 3: Hundred Strikes
  • Phase 6 (End of phase 5 to death):
    • Turn 2: Binding Spike
    • Turn 3: Hundred Strikes
    • Loops until death

Fairly simple to get your head around, I think.

Zack starts building up Heavy Smash damage.

Ranger uses Transform immediately so he can just start unloading on Hecatoncheires. I really don't want this fight to go on for very long, since this party can NOT survive a prolonged slugfest with Hecatoncheires. Binding Spike would pretty much one-shot everyone in the back.

Compression, same as it ever was.

Milly does her job of making the fight take less time.

Stopping Hellish Wail is my number 1 priority since that poo poo's impossible to fight with and I don't have Barrier right now.

Ick, it tastes like a fleshy quilt.
You don't seem like you've been enjoying eating the monsters recently.
They've been getting less and less tasty ever since we got here...

Perfect.

Binding Hecatoncheires's head amplifies Ranger's and Stardust's damage, which is nice.

Why am I using this piece of crap, again?!
Because those drunks at the bar shouted something about bashing the nails in, and Ranger took them at their word. Idiot.

Elemental murder is fun.

Next up on Sophie's itinerary: stop the actually dangerous skills.

A rousing success.

Eeeeew.

Holy gods, that's nearly 20% of Heca's HP.

I'm hesitant to use Madness Curse on Heca, since his normal attacks still hurt, and could easily kill Stardust or Milly. Evil Eye's less reliable on the actual turn of infliction, but on subsequent turns, I can guarantee that Heca won't do anything.

Mmmm... Heca didn't have his action taken away. Hopefully the fact that this is only a normal attack turn means we'll be okay...

Ow.
That's all you have to say after being smacked sideways with a giant mace? "Ow?"
I mean, I'm not dead, what else would I say?

The effect of a level 20 Volt Prelude, incidentally.

Even with his low resistances, Heca's still a massive HP sponge.

I could level up Suicide Word on Sophie if I really wanted to get more out of fear, but honestly, I mostly care about taking enemy turns away, Suicide Word deals less damage relative to total HP pools than it did in EOU, and I really want more points in the binding Curses.

This is how postgame boss fights tend to go, if you haven't noticed by this point. Incapacitate the enemy with disables, and unload big nuke damage with Force Boosts, and hope you win before both of those end.

At least we're almost done. I'm getting decently lucky with how long the binds are sticking.

Aw crap. On the Binding Spike turn, too.

I have everyone but Zack and Milly defend--Zack uses Heavy Smash, while Milly uses Crusade. I really hope that's enough to knock off that last bit of HP.

We'll be back soon, anyway...
Kill that thing...now...
Time to dream of tastier food...

Heh, nothing to it.
Why are they dead?
I'll tell you later. Let's get these three over to Realga for now...

SYSTEM: You have fought against an unimaginable threat, and come out victorious! The souls of all those who fell victim to the monster can finally rest in peace, as well... You search through the monster's body thoroughly, and find a fine katana, completely unrusted! You have just found “Hyuga"...one of the finest blades in existence! Congratulations! You have eliminated the monster, and obtained the best katana known in this world! Visit the bar when you have the time, and report to Cass of your results!
Wait...huh?

Why is this here? What could that thing have done with a katana?
Maybe it just liked collecting things.

Ey, Lumen... So, did yeh kill that monster?
I mean, I'd hope so.
Heh, I see. Well, can't say I'm surprised. It's yeh lot, after all. After yeh left, that old Minister came by, all grovelin' and miserable, sayin' that he sent yeh to yer deaths... So I told him! Yeh lot ain't some kids that'd lose to some chump monster. He oughta just wait and believe in yeh! Seriously, yeh're practically everybody's sweethearts now. Yeh even won over that uptight old coot! Well, that's all fine and dandy, but don't yeh go worryin' us when yeh don't have to! Haw haw haw haw! ...Well, enough of this ramblin' from me. Here, just take this. It's yer reward! See yeh next time!

Selling off Heca's drops.

Wolfram Nail (+231 ATK, +40 HP, +4 VIT) is made from 1 Broken Stake. +40 HP is decent, especially when you consider it'll translate to +120 HP during Desperation.

Giant's Gown (+66 DEF, +30 HP) is unlocked by selling 1 Giant Skin.

At this point, I went and killed Salamander to get what I need for The ancient blade.

SYSTEM: The sharpener doesn't seem interested in your questions--he just wants what he requested of you. Patience wearing thin, you sigh heavily, but hand over the sword and the requested Flame Marrow.
Here you go.
Yes. Yes... I should be able to with these...

Eh, wha?
Here! Look! Look at this! Doesn't this sword look amazing!?
SYSTEM: The sharpener is acting like a gleeful child in a candy store. Dubiously, you take a look at the sword... You cannot believe your eyes! Once dulled and useless, the sword is now gleaming--even shining with power!
Oooooooh!
Shiny.
Hmm... How much do you think this would fetch at market?
Not enough to offset the bad things that would happen if we lost it.
Hmhmhmhm... Yeah. Yeah, that was definitely a good sharpening job.
SYSTEM: With that, the sharpener tosses the sword... Its point pierces the stone ground, and it stands upright! It is as sharp as it appears... You give the sharpener a slight glare. His careless throw could have hit one of your party... However, he doesn't seem to care.
Hmm? You're still here? Go. I'm done. We don't have any more business. You should go home.
SYSTEM: You wonder what happened to his joyful demeanor, but realize in resignation that you would get nowhere by asking.
What the hell is this dude...thing...bird's problem?
SYSTEM: You take the sword with you, and decide to go back to the bar to report.

Ey, yer job's over? Seems like yeh made it back in one piece.
Yep. Now we've got a freshly-sharpened mystic sword...which is dangerously poking out of our backpack.
I'm not at fault if someone gets hurt by that thing.
Whoah! What's with that sword? *sigh* I ain't a weapons buff or anythin', but I know a drat fine sword when I see one... Lord, if I was to sell that thing... Whoof. I could friggin' retire.
Tell me about it...
Haw haw haw! I kid, I kid! I love cash, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't swipe someone else's stuff! Honestly though, that is some fine sword yeh got! Yeh sure it's okay to go wavin' that in public? Haw haw haw!

Hmm? Whassamatter, guy, yeh need something?
No, I wish to speak with members of Lumen, if I may. Please... There's no way around it. That sword came from the forbidden woods.
...Yeah, and?
The truth is, I am here on behalf of the princess. May I take that sword from you? That sword is from within Yggdrasil... and more importantly, it's from the forbidden woods. The princess has suggested that by studying information from old literature, we might be able to uncover new secrets.
Seems reasonable to me.
Rest assured, we will return it once our research is complete. For the sake of our study...would you give it to us?
Sure, why not? I can't use this thing, anyway.
Members of Lumen... I realize the request was sudden. I thank you for your cooperation. I will bring this to the princess, and have her study it. I greatly appreciate your generosity and understanding. Please excuse me...

Well, the princess won't do anythin' bad with it. Yeh just need to relax until the sword comes back, eh? I mean, long as yeh aren't itchin' to jump back into the forest! Haw haw haw! Here. It ain't exactly worth as much as what yeh just gave away, but this is yer reward. Take it!

Fetus is handling the bottom 3 DLCs (thank god). In light of that, let's take on the top two. These are both related to Ginnungagap bosses that got scrapped in favor of Basilisk and Arachne--I explained this way back in the Demi-Fafnir update.

Winter's Harbinger:

Yeh're takin' that one, eh...? If I'm bein' honest, I got no idea who posted it.
Great start.
Before I knew it, I had a letter in one hand and a reward in the other. The letter was full of some kinda rantin' bout decrees, an' stars...but since I got a reward, I figured I'd post it.
Winged One?
Winged One. I'd even wager it might've been Canaan.
About the quest. Seems this guy's home is bein' invaded by some kinda new monster. From what this letter says, the monster, uh, “has turned a land of petals into a frigid and unforgiving wasteland..." ...Yeh have any idea what that's supposed to mean? Well, I got no idea what yeh're walkin' into, but since yeh accepted it, I s'pose I'll just say to be careful. The letter points to a spot close to the stairs on the 18th floor. Someone's gonna meet yeh there, so ask 'em for the details. Alright, g'luck!

Thunder Queen's Legacy:

Oh, yeh're takin' that one! Ah, I really appreciate it. The last bunch I sent out got completely thrashed! Oops! Uh...pretend yeh didn't hear that, awright...? Yes? ...Right! Hear what? See...a completely unfamiliar monster's shown up in the Labyrinth, and everyone's talkin' about it. So the guard corps went to check it out, but yeh can probably imagine how that went. They barely made it back.
I kinda wonder what the point of the guards are if they constantly end up dead...
So they put it up as a quest for adventurers...but the same thing's been happenin' again and again. ...And now yeh got it! So go take care of it! No complainin'! That thing was spotted on the 7th floor, in a pretty big room... Alright, g'luck! ...And be careful, yeh lot!

That'll do for now. Next time: Frost King and Thunder Queen.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
(This will be posted after every EO2U update until the LP is finished.)

This is your regular reminder that early EO5 character submissions are still open. For reference, we currently have the following submissions for each class:

Cestus: Level Seven's Duke (3B), Tyty's Jill (2A), GeminiSun's Amelie (Earthrun F)
Warlock: AweStriker's Nille (4B)
Hound: Kemix's Ritz (1B), GeminiSun's Kaede (1A)
Shaman: Dr. Fetus's Gabbo (1A)
Herbalist: Dr. Fetus's Wanna (4B)

(alcharagia's Warlock is not listed because, being one of the co-authors of the LP, she is disqualified. Her entry was merely meant to stir up creativity.)

Want to get in on submitting your own character if you haven't yet? The EO5 intro update is over here, and character creation info is here. Remember to provide a voice for your character (I forgot to put that in the creation info), which can be sampled in the intro update. Remember, also, that you're free to submit as many classes as you want, with the caveat that only one character from you can win.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If you're wondering why the room had to be fogged up first, trying to fight Hecatoncheires without doing so just results in him batting you away and dealing 100 damage to your team.

Also he was in the opening movie. Despite the fact that it's completely impossible for the Fafnir knight to fight with him (strictly speaking, story-wise), because he flew off to Armoroad. :v:

mischievousart
Apr 24, 2016
Name: Gram
Class: Hound
Portait: 4B
Skintone: 6th, top row
Hair: 5th, bottom row
Eyes: 3rd, bottom row
Voice: 25 (Lively)

Gram's always wanted to go on a grand adventure, but life seems to keep getting in her way. First, her parents needed help on the farm, then she was looking after her siblings and cousins, then there were children of her own, then GRANDchildren...

Now that everyone's finally grown up and there's other, younger people to put in charge, she's finally taking the chance to follow her dream. Who needs a boring quiet retirement when you can have adventure? No stinking monsters or silly youngsters who want her to slow down are going to get in her way, you hear me? NONE.

mischievousart fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 29, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Frankly I'm not even sure if I should mention this, but reading all these character suggestions makes me wonder about how they'd fit into the setting of the world. I see a lot of profiles that talk about growing up in "the city" or whatever, and I just have to wonder how they got there. I mean, the city of Aeolis isn't a central metropolis or anything, it's a relatively small town that's currently undergoing a huge gold rush style boom now that exploration is legal. Basically none of the characters you meet were born there: they're all immigrants from all over the continent. Each race other than Earthrun also comes from a very specific culture, and it's implied that there's not normally all that much cross-pollination between the races. Like, Therians are from a Spartan culture where each child is trained to use a weapon from a young age, and to hunt for their own survival. Lunarians simply want to unlock the secrets of the universe, which maybe other people think is dabbling in things man was not meant to know. Brownies live in harmony with nature, but are also known for being especially materialistic and greedy. These three different cultures are basically at the center of why people want to explore Yggdrasil: for glory, knowledge, or treasure.

Not that anyone should feel obligated to stick close to that when making a character. Those are just the stereotypes, and even the game takes pleasure in subverting them. But the interactions of the four races is sort of a big thematic point of the game. Not everyone gets along with everyone else at first, and this melting pot they find themselves in is a bit of a novelty. It's just... an interesting time for an explorer to find themselves in. I say this not to limit your creativity, but maybe to give you a launching point. That's the hope anyway.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 29, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I... I realize they probably were being totally sincere about it, but having some random NPC run up to you and go "hey okay give me the thing no time to explain bye" really makes me suspect foul play.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Name: Kaelin (カエリン)
Portrait: 3A
Skin: first row, first
Hair Highlight: 102, 111, 178
Hair Shade: 101, 48, 99
Eyes, top: 120, 165, 167
Eyes, bottom: 81, 107, 92
Voice: 03 (Confident)

Have you ever met someone who's incredibly smug, for seemingly no reason? Not just smug, but so smug, you just want to punch them in the face? The kind of person who just oozes smugness from every pore, even if they're not trying? That's Kaelin. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, he had everything he's ever needed handed to him, the family servants only feeding more and more into his superiority complex. Even when he went into training as a warlock, it was all but a folly to him, nothing more than a minor dalliance to while away the time. The fact that he actually had the talent to back up his braggadocio took a couple of his classmates by surprise, but it was all fun and games for Kaelin.

When the city of Aeolis opened its gates to the multitudes of explorers' guilds, Kaelin had spun a yarn about how he was going to be the first to the top, and how it was enough of a foregone conclusion that no one else should dare try. Only once his bluff was called did he realize the enormity of his task, and even then, the self-confident Lunarian walked with a swagger in his step the likes of which couldn't be matched (or so he thought). Now if he could just avoid the rest of these commoners on his way to the top, he'd be all set.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Name: Aurora
Portrait: 4A
Skin: First row, third
Hair: First row, fourth
Eyes: First row, fifth
Voice: 29

You know the typical JRPG villain, who has decided the world is too far gone and must be destroyed? That's Aurora. In her meddling in the cosmic nature of the universe, she came to the conclusion (she insists it was a prophecy) that she should destroy all that is. She also knows she isn't up to the task (yet), so she seeks to better herself in the trials of the labyrinth to attain the ultimate power of destruction. Hates alchemists for stealing the name Eschaton for their lame and ineffective formula.

A bizarre person at the best of times. Aurora is weirdly easy to get along with once you get past the whole "destroying everything" bit, and is supremely confident in her "prophecy" and in her power being able to overcome anything. Actually quite helpful and sensitive to her companions. Shrugs it off when said companions may try to convince her not to destroy all of creation. Likes fruit, especially tropical fruit. Hates cheese and all things pink.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 68: A Petaloid by Any Other Name

Hah...
Hm? Is something wrong, Luca?
No, it's just... I'm exhausted by this point. How many times have I been in exploration parties, and how many times have I been in parties for larger monsters?
More than anyone else.
Hrm?
Yes, I counted.
Look at it this way: there's only a little bit left, right? After we see what's at the end of the Labyrinth, we're all free to do whatever!
I guess that is consoling, yeah. I'm worried there's something bad at the top of the Labyrinth, though...

Remember how I said Frost King and Thunder Queen would be next after the last update? I lied, I felt like getting 29F out of the way. 29F can be annoying to traverse--not as bad as 28F, mind you, but still enough to get on your nerves. 30F's a cakewalk compared to either 28F or 29F, thankfully, but that's neither here nor there.

You'll notice that I already have some of the map filled in. This is because I suffered a game over to a really dangerous random encounter and accidentally forgot to not save my map data. ~whoops~

Are those...flower buds?

Did, uh... Did that flower patch just gasp?

I get the strangest feeling that we're being ambushed.

I'm surprised you predicted that, to be honest.
We've been at this for almost a year, nothing much surprises me anymore.

Hazardous Petals are stealth FOEs. They hide in one tile, and engage you if you walk within a 1-tile radius of where they're hiding. That's what the pink tiles on my map are for.

Ooh, it's been a while since I had some good greenery.
Does that...thing...truly count as a vegetable?

Hazardous Petal
HP: 28177, STR: 82, TEC: 71, VIT: 71, AGI: 51, LUC: 73
Skills:
  • Sleep Pollen: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict sleep and each type of bind on every party member, with a 40% bae chance. Has no speed modifier.
  • Dancing Petals: Uses the arms. Deals 100% melee STR-based cut damage to each party member. Has a 90% speed modifier and 80 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Hazardous Bulb. 80% chance. 1 needed to make Petal Staff (+191 ATK, +80 HP, 30% base chance for normal attacks to inflict sleep)
    "A bulb that extrudes vines in search of prey, Even when cut, it may still sprout again."
  • Conditional: Lavish Flower (Kill while cursed). 100% chance. Sells for 9400 en. 1 needed to make Amrita II (Restores 100 TP to one target).
    "A flower of unsettling beauty, dead from its own curse. Its sweet nectar soothes the mind."
Damage resistances:
125% 100% 100% 125% 100% 100%
Disable resitances:
50% 50% 25% 25% 0% 25% 25%
10% 10% 10%
50% 25% 25%

A bewitching flower whose petals are often used in hexes.

The return of a series mainstay. Often maligned, and not without reason, Petaloids (or Hazardous Petals in EO2U, which is a direct, literal translation of their Japanese name) are all about two things: putting your party to sleep, and then murdering them while they're asleep. Except now EO2U throws two wrenches into that: the sleep now can now also inflict every type of bind, meaning you can be screwed even if you have sleep resistance, and 82 STR means that Dancing Petals can easily kill you even if your party isn't asleep.

Unfortunately, the Petaloid conditional drop makes Amrita IIs. If you don't feel like repeating one of the DLC quests over and over on Picnic, that's your only way of making Amrita IIs.

The easy solution to Sleep Pollen, as with every other disable in the postgame, is Barrier.

I'd rather almost-completely incapacitate the Hazardous Petal for now instead of just binding it. Gives me a turn or two more to work with.

By this point I'm sure you can guess what Ursa, Stardust, and Rheine did for their actions.

Opening up with Barrier and Madness Curse is a pretty safe option against Petaloids, since either Barrier'll stop Sleep Pollen (which outspeeds Sophie), or Madness Curse'll go before Dancing Petals due to how fast Sophie is.

That Speed Up Grimoire was seriously one of the best things I ever did for Sophie.

Colette'll switch to Ailing Slash until the panic wears off and/or it's replaced by curse.

Head binds'll let Colette continue to spam Ailing Slash after the panic gets replaced, and they'll also amplify Stardust's damage.

And Rheine'll just piggyback off of Inferno Formula until the flower is dead.

Not too bad, just shy of 10% of the Petaloid's HP.

Even better.

I'd rather inflict arm bind with the last turn of Creeping Curse than Corrupt Curse.

Alright, let's try using a low-level Corrupt Curse against a 25% resistance.

Shoot me.

God please I hope this doesn't take long, those binds aren't going to stick for much longer.

Cuh-raaaaaap.

Gimme a sec, I'm running out of things to bite at...

Rrrch.

MOTHERFUCKING FINALLY

Annihilated.
Was turning it into ash really necessary?
Yes.

Aside from Corrupt Curse taking 6 turns, that went about as well as you could ask for from a Petaloid fight.

I didn't want to lose that good attempt, so I went back to town.

Petal Staff (+191 ATK, +80 HP, 30% base chance to inflict sleep on normal attacks) is made from 1 Hazardous Bulb.

Amrita II (Restores 100 TP) is made from 1 Lavish Flower. For the record, no, I'm not going to be farming for these things by getting the conditionals. See my note about cheesing a DLC quest on Picnic up above.

Okay, so this is a conundrum. I can't progress further in the room without running into a Petaloid. What the hell do I do here?

Well, remember how Icy Bulbs reduced the Cursed Pumpkins' vision range to just one tile instead of a big radius? They do the same for Petaloids.

The teleporter marked with a 2 takes you to this small room that literally just has an Icy Bulb and a teleporter back.

Moth Lord
HP: 2968, STR: 79, TEC: 62, VIT: 59, AGI: 52, LUC: 63
Skills:
  • Madness Dust: Uses the arms. Attempts to inflict panic and paralysis on every party member, with a 40% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
  • Slice and Dice: Uses the arms. Deals 3-5 instances of 130% melee STR-based cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has an 80% speed modifier and 20 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Red Quill. 70% chance. Sells for 2450 en. 1 needed to make Avarice Bow (+174 ATK). 10 needed to make Moth Shield (+60 DEF). 2 Red Quills and 7 Lizard Crowns needed to make King's Spear (+187 ATK). 2 Pure White Horns and 3 Red Quills needed to make Rune Tunic (+60 DEF). 3 Pure White Horns and 5 Red Quills needed to make Angel Cry (+173 ATK). 2 Red Iron Shards and 7 Red Quills needed to make Tyrfing (+181 ATK).
    "Thin, nebula-patterned wings of a Moth Lord. some people admire its vibrant coloring."
  • Ingredient: Sap Belly. 1 given. 1 needed to make Pumpkin Pie (Western Food 6; restores 15% of damage dealt as TP). 1 needed to make BBQ Lizard (Chinese Food 6; +80% instant death resistance). 1 needed to make Eastern Nishime (Japanese Food 6; forces all FOE and boss fights [with exceptions] to be preemptive attacks).
Damage resistances:
100% 125% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
100% 50% 0% 0% 50% 50% 50%
50% 50% 50%
100% 100% 50%

The lord of the moths, many associate its vivid coloring with death.

Thought Great Moths were bad enough? Say hi to their straight-upgrade cousins. They really aren't any different aside from having beefier stats and their ailment skill now inflicts paralysis as well.

I think not.

I cannot overstate how useful, borderline mandatory even, Barrier is in the postgame.

A single Moth Lord is easily dealt with, but they can become serious nightmares with other monsters.

So, yeah, that's the gimmick of 29F. Petaloids and fog rooms.

Fun.

Behind this door lies...

Fog.

And a teleporter.

The teleporter goes to this barren room that just has an Asterius spawn point and a treasure chest.

The chest doesn't even have anything good in it.

Oh, also, I'm effectively boxed in by that Asterius. Good thing I have an Ariadne Thread.

Is there any reason we couldn't have just stepped around that teleporter?
Unspoken laws of the natural world.

That door there leads to a teleporter, which goes to here.

An effective dead end that just has stairs back down to 28F.

Oh gently caress, not that thing.

Trihorn
HP: 1677, STR: 75, TEC: 56, VIT: 56, AGI: 43, LUC: 54
Skills:
  • Evil Cry: Cannot be disabled. Only used when the Trihorn is in the back row. Increases all enemies' physical attack by 50% for 4 turns. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Triple Death: Cannot be disabled. Deals 140% melee STR-based stab damage to one target, with line-piercing effect. Attempts to instantly kill hit targets, with a 30% base chance. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Pure White Horn. 45% chance. Sells for 1530 en. 1 needed to make Battle Boots (+33 DEF, +10 HP, +2 STR). 10 needed to make White Rhino (+179 ATK). 20 needed to make Soma Prime (Restores 160 HP to party). 30 needed to make Angelic Cap (Medic ultimate non-body armor; +52 DEF, +20 TP, +2 TEC). 2 Pure White Horns and 3 Red Quills needed to make Rune Tunic (+60 DEF). 3 Pure White Horns and 5 Red Quills needed to make Angel Cry (+173 ATK).
    "Bone-white fragment of a Trihorn. Used for equipment and medicine alike."
  • Conditional: Cursed Horn (Kill while cursed). 80% chance. Sells for 2890 en. 1 needed to make Vigor Belt (+80 HP).
    "Pristine white horn, wrought with curses. Though ominous, it's filled with life energy."
Damage resistances:
100% 50% 100% 50% 150% 50%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 100% 50% 50% 100% 100%
50% 50% 50%
0% 0% 0%

A mutant subspecies of rhino with three horns. It is in a constant state of rage...

gently caress these stupid goddamn rhinos. gently caress anything with instant death access, really, but these rhinos are even worse because they hit even vaguely squishy characters hard enough to kill them without it anyway, and beefier characters tend to have lower LUC, so they're more susceptible to the instant death.

Also gently caress the fact that they're immune to all bind types. That can be a pretty rude awakening if you, say, have a Dark Hunter without a Hexer, like I did on my first playthrough.

Triple gently caress the ridiculous requirements on the stuff that the Pure White Horn unlocks, too. Want Soma Primes or the second-best bit of armor you can get for a Medic? Have fun risking dying to instant death a bunch!

Also that conditional means you have to put a non-debilitating ailment on the Trihorn, which is dangerous as hell.

At least it being in the back row means I get a breather on the first turn. If a Trihorn's in the back row, its first action will always be to use Evil Cry.

Well, almost all of the time. I've been unhappily surprised by a Trihorn using Triple Death as its first action in the back row once, but I've never had it happen again.

A reminder that there's several good reasons why Stardust has been my most used character throughout the LP--even if you remember that almost every party in this LP was decided by voting, I still pushed for her a bunch in party descriptions.

Don't let that battle fool you, any encounter with a Trihorn has the potential to go sour very quickly.

This room is pre-fogged already. It's actually safe to kill the Icy Bulb if you want.

Carbuncle
HP: 770, STR: 52, TEC: 60, VIT: 45, AGI: 51, LUC: 48
Skills:
  • Scorching Light: Used when below 100% HP. Deals 250% ranged TEC-based fire damage to all party members. Kills the Carbuncle after use. Has a 150% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Lizard Crown. 35% chance. Sells for 1480 en. 1 needed to make Great Helm (+46 DEF, can be equipped by Beasts). 3 needed to make Royal Axe (+186 ATK). 10 needed to make Ancient Scepter (+138 ATK, +5 TEC, +6 VIT). 2 Red Quills and 7 Lizard Crowns needed to make King's Spear (+187 ATK).
    "Crown-shaped horn of a giant lizard. Hard and metallic, it works well for weapons."
  • Conditional: Dull Crown (Kill while blinded). 50% chance. Sells for 1980 en. 1 needed to make Misanga of Trust (Beast ultimate non-body armor; +100 HP, +5 VIT).
    "The light has faded from this crown upon blinding. However, its power is magnified."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 125% 0% 0% 0%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 100% 50% 50% 50%
50% 50% 50%
100% 100% 100%

This flame-spewing monster looks like it's wearing a crown. Blind it, and the crown dims.

Carbuncles are designed explicitly to counter Alchemists spamming all-target Formulas, as well as be incredibly dangerous assistants to monsters that hurt other enemies, which is a very small group that includes the monkey over there and a monster we'll see on 30F.

Also, those drop rates suck and grinding for a Dull Crown can be hair-pulling.

Case in point.

Their HP's low enough that even a no-ailment Ailing Slash can one-shot them, at least.

Bah. I'll get the Dull Crown later.

Marvelous, multiple teleporters.
Which one should we use?
I've got a good feeling about 8.

Apparently my good feelings aren't worth much...

JESUS loving CHRIST

At the very least, this floor seems less irritating than the previous one.
How do you figure that?
You...didn't hear Realga shouting about how annoyed the last floor made her?
She did it a bunch, I'm kinda confused how you didn't hear it.

I revoke my previous comment.

Welp, time to fog up the room.

WHY ME

Uh, how did we end up here?
Mmmmmmaybe the teleporter we marked with a rock?

...There was an Icy Bulb in the room when I came in, which I killed to map out the room. OOPS.

One day later, and that mistake is rectified.

The teleporter I am looking at is the way forward--the ones on the other sides will just send you backwards.

We're nearing the end.

All things considered, that wasn't actually that bad.
I don't think I can look at flowers quite the same way after this...
Eh, at least they're better than the pumpkins.
The...pumpkins?
Don't ask.

Here we are. A month and a little more than a week short of a year from when I started the LP, we've reached the final floor of the Labyrinth.

How about we head back to town and take on some quests before I get an important chest on 29F?

My my, news does travel quickly. But, yes, we have indeed reached the 30th floor.
To think, it's been there since long before I was born... I just can't imagine what the Labyrinth's peak would be like. But I know enough to guess. The top is really dangerous, isn't it?
Probably not that much more dangerous than what we've done so far.
Well...if I'm fussing too much, just say so...but just remember this. You're all like family to me... No matter what happens, no matter where you go, this'll always be a home for you. Alright?

I hear you've almost reached the end of the forest above the castle! That's incredible! Climbing to the top of Yggdrasil should be a really impressive feat...but it's strange... You just come and go like it's the easiest thing in the world to you... It makes me feel like it really is no big deal for you to go back and forth from here to the Labyrinth like that... But I know that's not true. Not at all.
Eh. Maybe half a deal? ...Is that even a real phrase?
You climb all the way up Yggdrasil, and risk your life against deadly monsters, but somehow you always come back safe... I can't do much, but I'll do my best to make things easier for you up there! So, please...don't ever lose. I want you to come back safe, no matter what!

Correct.
I've been asking Grandpa to try opening up relations with them. They're not like us at all, but if we want to keep exploring the Labyrinth, it'd be best if we were diplomatic about it, right? Plus, I'm sure their knowledge of the Labyrinth will be of great use to High Lagaard. Their diet must be completely different from ours, too. A completely different view on food... This is all so exciting!

No more than usual.
Oh! By the way, we had a visitor yesterday all the way from Etria!
Ooh! Were they part of the guild that destroyed its Yggdrasil?!
...Why would you be excited to meet that guild?
It was really something to meet them... They weren't intimidating or anything, but... Somethin' about the way they carried themselves...ah, heck, how do I say this? It was different from us folks.
Eeeeeee! I knew it!
In all seriousness, Sophie, I doubt they were that guild.
I've been minding this bar a long time, but I've never seen anyone like that. Yeh wanna know why someone like that showed up here? Well, it was...'cause of yeh lot. Apparently they heard about yeh during their travels. Haw haw! Looks like this bar's signature guild is getting famous! I wish yeh'd been here to meet 'em!

Here they are: the final two non-DLC quests. And boy, are both of them doozies.

A dance with death:

Oh, that one? That's a request just for yeh lot. Remember the requester that gave yeh the Scholar piece? This one's from her, again, yeh see. She wants to ask yeh for somethin' to do with a rare monster. She's still hangin' around in this bar, so go ask her about the specifics, eh?

Right after we take on the next quest.

Crimson vengeance:

Ah, yeh came at the right time! Yeh remember the last quest? Yeh brought back that amazing sword... But it's disappeared!
Um, that really shiny one? The one that tore a hole in our backpack and was sharp enough to go through the floor?
How in the world does something like that disappear?
Well, I had some business at the Duke's Palace, yeh see. So I asked if they'd found out anythin' about that sword. But they said they didn't even have any record of takin' the drat thing from yeh! Didn't make sense for there t'be no record of a visit from the princess's personal attendant, so I asked the Minister. But it was the first he'd heard about any of it. Ended up leavin' as clueless as I'd went in.
...Excuse me while I go bash my head on a wall. I should've known that guard was suspicious...
But the Minister did say that if yeh go to the Explorers Guild, yeh can register it as a lost item. Sorry, but could yeh try goin' to the Explorers Guild so yeh can report it as a lost article?
I must confess, I am slightly worried that someone...unsavory might've gotten ahold of that sword.
It would not be the first time we've been deceived by a thief disguised as a guard...

Let's actually get some info on A dance with death before we go to the Guild:

Oh... H-Hello. Lumen, do you remember me? I'm the one that asked you to show me your Codex in exchange for, um, my Scholar piece.
Yeah, I remember you! We had fun talking about eating monsters.
Perhaps you did, but I doubt the "eating" part was mutual.
I wanted to see a lot of monsters at once last time, but this time, I want to see a specific monster. Do you know of a rare monster known as the Dinogator?
Can't say that we do.
I have only seen it in old documents, so I was wondering if perhaps Lumen might know of it...? So, if you find the time, could you please try to find Dinogator for me? Once you register Dinogator to the Codex, please come talk to me again. And...um...p-please...be careful.

Dinogator is a...special enemy. We might see it when I'm exploring 30F normally, we might not.

Adventurers in matching gear:

Phew, that really hits the spot...
Hi, hat guy's guild!
Lumen, are you drinkin' too!? You know, we ran into another big one...!
Y'know that Bloody Soldier thing?
Friggin' goes after...everything in sight! Friend, foe, don't even matter to 'im!
I mean, that'd be fine. Monsters killin' monsters 's okay by me. But then it cut down this Carbuncle next to it, right?
Y-yes?
It killed the bunny! Not us! Tha's good! But the Carbuncle started glowin' funny...
And boom! Blew us right up! Tha's bad.
We got hit with a real big one there! It was...*hic* Awful! Terrible! Completely crappy!
Hahaha, but we have fun livin' on the edge! And th' beer tastes even better 'cause of it!
Cheers t' crappy adventures!
Drink!
...Honestly, when this is all over, I'll actually kind of miss these drunkards. A little.

...Uh.
Is the store starting a new branch in the Explorers Guild?
Er, I'm not opening the--I mean, it's not that I'm running the shop from here, it's just--o-oh... I'm sorry!
Deep breaths, Abigail. What happened?
Y-Yes, right... Phew, hahh...phew...hahh... I think... I'm okay now... Thank you, everyone. Eheheh. Uhm... I came to drop off some weapons and gear that we promised to repair, and the guildmaster was on her way out... Something seemed different about the guildmaster... I asked where she was going, and she said she was going to the woods... Sh-She told me not to tell anyone, but I'm not sure what would be the best thing to do...
Hm... Ah. Was she carrying anything odd?
She... didn't have anything weird, but she did have a rare sword with her. It was even glowing.
I suspected that. She's one of the few people that could convincingly impersonate a guard...
I've been helping my dad, so I've seen a lot of types of weapons and other equipment... But I've never seen a sword like that before. It really stood out! I remember it clearly. And...oh, right! She said that she's going to the Red Forest, where the Red King sleeps, to put an end to things.
That...doesn't sound good.
I'm not sure...where that is... Um... I feel weird asking, since I don't know what's going on, but could you find the guildmaster? For some reason, I just feel...scared. I don't think anything like this has ever happened before...
We will take care of matters, do not worry. Everything will be fine.
Th-Thank you very much! I'll be minding the guild here, so please make sure she's safe!

For the record, yes, Abigail takes over the Explorers Guild while you have Crimson vengeance active, and she even has a full set of voices for everything you can do at the Guild.

Oh, right, I forgot to check on Dubois after Shadow of the castle.

There is no need for you to risk your lives against a foe as dreadful as the Hekatonkheires! You have done so much for us. If we were to lose you, I don't know if I could bear such a loss...!

...Hekatonkheires? Whoever translated this bit of dialogue evidently didn't check and make sure it was consistent.

We...defea--
Luca, shh! I wanna have some fun. Ahem... A little late there, sadly...
Late...? What do you mean by that...? C-Could it be that the figures before me are the ghosts of Lumen!? Am I... Am I hallucinating...!?
We've come back from the grave to haauunt yooouuu~
Oh, how could this be!? Lumen has fallen victim to that monster, and it is... it is all my fault! What have I done...? I-I must take responsibility! I have no choice but to fall upon my own sword--hm?
W-wait! Please, pay attention to our forms! Do we look like ghosts?!
Wait...but you still have legs...and you appear to cast a shadow...? ...I-I am bamboozled! If you have successfully defeated the monster, then why did you not simply say so...?
Aheh, um... Sorry, got a little carried away there...
*sigh*... You gave me quite the scare, there... But I am glad that you were able to return safe and sound...truly, I am very grateful for that. Ah, but I shouldn't dampen the mood like this. The beast is slain, and the heroes returned! Now raise your heads high! Yes, that is what the Duchy of High Lagaard wishes to see! Oho ho ho ho!

Well, that just happened.

Dubois's normal dialogue:

So, explorers. What do you think? Is it not a wonderful country?
High Lagaard? It's a little frigid for my tastes, but I can see why someone would like it.
This land was built on toil, fellowship, and the spirit of adventure... Yes, I could ask for no better land to serve. I am thankful indeed that your travels guided you here, to our humble land... Our meeting was quite the good fortune for me. It's a fine thing to live long.

And to close out the update, here's the last important treasure from 29F. We actually have all of the standard recipe books now, but we're missing three special ones, which we'll get after we finish Crimson vengeance.

I cooked some things now that I got more ingredients and have all of the books.

Caterpillar Casserole does two things: on Expert, it lets you go back to just before the start of a battle in which your party is annihilated, and on Normal, it gives you one more retry before you run out and are forced back to the title. It does nothing on Picnic.

This thing comes far too late in the game for it to be of any conceivable use.

Orange-Sauce Kaiju Steak increases each party member's STR, TEC, VIT, AGI, and LUC by 5. This is an absolutely fantastic food and it's pretty much what everyone takes for any bosses from 29F on.

Bamboo Sarmale restores 5% of any damage a character deals as HP. Pass.

Shumai increases the party's petrification resistance by 80%. There is not a single fight where this is useful or preferable over another food, honestly, especially not this late in the game.

BBQ Lizard increases the party's instant death resistance by 80%. Same problem as Shumai: too situational, and far too late in the game.

That should do it for now. Next time: I either take on the Frost King and Thunder Queen, or go do Crimson vengeance.

Either way, we're coming up on the end, people. After the DLC bosses and Crimson vengeance, there's just 30F and the postgame superboss left.

Rea fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 2, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
(This will be posted after every EO2U update until the LP is finished.)

Warlock: AweStriker's Nille (4B), Aniodia's Kaelin (3A), theshim's Aurora (4A)
Hound: Kemix's Ritz (1B), GeminiSun's Kaede (1A), mischievousart's Gram (4B)
Shaman: Dr. Fetus's Gabbo (1A)
Herbalist: Dr. Fetus's Wanna (4B), FriskyBoat's Dak (3A), mischeviousart's Caleb (3A)

Also, here's some very sound advice regarding EO5's world and how it might affect characters from Clarste:

Clarste posted:

Frankly I'm not even sure if I should mention this, but reading all these character suggestions makes me wonder about how they'd fit into the setting of the world. I see a lot of profiles that talk about growing up in "the city" or whatever, and I just have to wonder how they got there. I mean, the city of Aeolis isn't a central metropolis or anything, it's a relatively small town that's currently undergoing a huge gold rush style boom now that exploration is legal. Basically none of the characters you meet were born there: they're all immigrants from all over the continent. Each race other than Earthrun also comes from a very specific culture, and it's implied that there's not normally all that much cross-pollination between the races. Like, Therians are from a Spartan culture where each child is trained to use a weapon from a young age, and to hunt for their own survival. Lunarians simply want to unlock the secrets of the universe, which maybe other people think is dabbling in things man was not meant to know. Brownies live in harmony with nature, but are also known for being especially materialistic and greedy. These three different cultures are basically at the center of why people want to explore Yggdrasil: for glory, knowledge, or treasure.

Not that anyone should feel obligated to stick close to that when making a character. Those are just the stereotypes, and even the game takes pleasure in subverting them. But the interactions of the four races is sort of a big thematic point of the game. Not everyone gets along with everyone else at first, and this melting pot they find themselves in is a bit of a novelty. It's just... an interesting time for an explorer to find themselves in. I say this not to limit your creativity, but maybe to give you a launching point. That's the hope anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd make an EO5 submission, but I want to go into the English release blind.

Or fairly blind. I might take a peek at the LP board just to see what the first floors are like.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

JESUS loving CHRIST

WHY ME

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I have only seen it in old documents, so I was wondering if perhaps [Guild Name] might know of it...? So, if you find the time, could you please try to find Dinogator for me? Once you register Dinogator to the Codex, please come talk to me again. And...um...p-please...be careful.

Missed a find/replace during the Dinogator quest text.

• Locked thread