Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

averox posted:

It certainly shows how petty the community of this game is at large. People are loving mad that they can't get a hat for this game.

My favorite part was people complaining that they didn't have safehouse customization when the party hats started. You know, what the whole "housewarming" thing is ostensibly about (unless I've misread things horribly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
People on the internet are stupid; Payday community no exception. News at never, because we all knew that.

I think it's sort of an inevitability. no matter how good a studio you are, no matter how much goodwill you think a studio should have earned from their fans, raving shitlords will immediately ruin it. I mean, it was obvious to me (and most of us here, I think) that this was a contest where everyone was meant to win - everyone was gonna get a hat. But abloo-bloo-bloo Steam forums sure couldn't notice it.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Is there a reliable way to get sociopath panic to work? I haven't tried flamethrower yet but ARs and LMGs don't seem to do the trick.

Like I haven't even seen what it looks like yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it's bugged (console).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
From my usual source:

We're getting a John Wick 2 pack of weapons. OVK have started using codenames for weapon files, so we don't know what they are.

swims posted:

Is there a reliable way to get sociopath panic to work? I haven't tried flamethrower yet but ARs and LMGs don't seem to do the trick.

Like I haven't even seen what it looks like yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it's bugged (console).

It's not been reported in the console steam forum yet.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Psion posted:

People on the internet are stupid; Payday community no exception. News at never, because we all knew that.

I think it's sort of an inevitability. no matter how good a studio you are, no matter how much goodwill you think a studio should have earned from their fans, raving shitlords will immediately ruin it. I mean, it was obvious to me (and most of us here, I think) that this was a contest where everyone was meant to win - everyone was gonna get a hat. But abloo-bloo-bloo Steam forums sure couldn't notice it.

I think the only game where good will hasn't been routinely trashed is Witcher 3 - they gave away a ton of post release content and fixes (in addition to 2 major expansions), and I've heard basically no complaints about it. I think the closest thing I saw was a comment that the game was long enough as it is, it doesn't need more. Even TF2 fans have made an artform out of complaining (though to be fair, some of those complaints are valid).

Moral of the story: Don't give away free poo poo online, just charge for it and ignore the whiners.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Psion posted:

Not to let raving internet lunatics off the hook, because I'm sure there's plenty out there that are beyond annoyed and literally frothing at the mouth, but the whole "chase down a code" concept is a transparent attempt to boost their numbers and otherwise generate cheap hype and I don't blame folks for having a problem with getting jerked around like that. Limited-time key dump giveaways are already obnoxious, but combining it with infinite keys, everyone's-a-winner just renders the whole exercise pointless from the end user's perspective. Also expecting the internet to not get lovely about a dumb, artificially scarce/exclusive status symbol like a loving hat...

To Overkill's credit, the website was a good thing, as were some of their other attempts to calm the hordes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

From my usual source:

We're getting a John Wick 2 pack of weapons. OVK have started using codenames for weapon files, so we don't know what they are.

It's not been reported in the console steam forum yet.

Clearly this will be a Canine companion that we can send out doggie treats for and pet to make them shred dozer nuts. DD, KILL!

And looking up what's known so far of Wick Part Duex, I'm hoping we get a Rome heist.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 29, 2016

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

John Murdoch posted:

Not to let raving internet lunatics off the hook, because I'm sure there's plenty out there that are beyond annoyed and literally frothing at the mouth, but the whole "chase down a code" concept is a transparent attempt to boost their numbers and otherwise generate cheap hype and I don't blame folks for having a problem with getting jerked around like that. Limited-time key dump giveaways are already obnoxious, but combining it with infinite keys, everyone's-a-winner just renders the whole exercise pointless from the end user's perspective. Also expecting the internet to not get lovely about a dumb, artificially scarce/exclusive status symbol like a loving hat...

To Overkill's credit, the website was a good thing, as were some of their other attempts to calm the hordes.

It's not as bad as the disappointment bat.
It's not as bad as The Road to Crimefest.
Let's keep some perspective on this. They are giving away something for free and people are throwing a fit about it.
There is absolutely nothing that Overkill can do, up to and including releasing free characters, heists, and weapons, that will not make a vocal portion of their fanbase throw a goddamn hissy fit. There is a long, clear history of examples that prove this point.
You got jerked around exactly as much as you allowed yourself to be. I made one post about hats a few pages ago and I have received enough hat codes that I don't know who I would give the next one to. If you don't like it, don't participate, and all you will miss out on is a tiny piece of cosmetic content that you probably won't even use in a week.
Overkill succeeded in getting more people to post about the game and participate in ~the community~ in advance of a pretty big update. That means more awareness for the upcoming DLC after a longer hiatus in DLC than they have had since before Big Bank. How would the marketing gurus at John Murdoch, LLC do a better job of this?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Is it actually being DDoSed because the site auto refreshes itself for everyone when the timer hits 0 so I just assumed the site breaks itself because every tab open of the site at time is refreshed at the exact same moment

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

THE CHORSE posted:

It's not as bad as the disappointment bat.
It's not as bad as The Road to Crimefest.
Let's keep some perspective on this. They are giving away something for free and people are throwing a fit about it.
There is absolutely nothing that Overkill can do, up to and including releasing free characters, heists, and weapons, that will not make a vocal portion of their fanbase throw a goddamn hissy fit. There is a long, clear history of examples that prove this point.
You got jerked around exactly as much as you allowed yourself to be. I made one post about hats a few pages ago and I have received enough hat codes that I don't know who I would give the next one to. If you don't like it, don't participate, and all you will miss out on is a tiny piece of cosmetic content that you probably won't even use in a week.
Overkill succeeded in getting more people to post about the game and participate in ~the community~ in advance of a pretty big update. That means more awareness for the upcoming DLC after a longer hiatus in DLC than they have had since before Big Bank. How would the marketing gurus at John Murdoch, LLC do a better job of this?

Uhhhhh okay.

All I'm saying is that Overkill walked straight into this, by their own design. Not that the actual, factual crazies are right to go thermonuclear over a party hat, but by creating some dumb chase for codes, even if in reality there's more codes to give away than actual players, it created the illusion of exclusivity and effectively pitted the userbase against itself since shock of all shocks obsessive video game people want their shiny now rather than some unspecified later. Great for generating hype, but also great for generating some resentment.

If Overkill's lovely playerbase is so well known to be outrageously unstable, you'd think they could've picked a slightly better/more organized way to dump codes instead of in a fashion that made even Totally Rational Cool Guy players grumpy about it. Like this dude:

THE CHORSE posted:

I hate these code giveaways. Either I'm unable to claim the codes because I'm at work or I'm unwilling to sit at my PC refreshing the Payday 2 subreddit or Almir's Twitter on the off chance that I might snag one of the codes that pops up before every other sperglord jumps on top of it. I still want one of those loving hats, though, so anyone who gives me a working party hat code gets the Payday 2 DLC pack of their choice (except for COP, obviously). You don't even have to be the first. Any working party hat code is good for DLC. The end.

Really if they had the website giveaway ready to go day one to work in tandem with the manual ones, and were giving away codes across every website a little more unilaterally (IIRC, a few of the spots to look for codes they themselves listed on the website didn't get any for a little while), it might've gone more smoothly. (In fairness, one community guy's computer exploded or whatever; I'm not blaming them for that unforeseen event.) Maybe they could've found a way to give multiple code to everyone, so there was a greater upfront supply of codes to buffer the initial rush. Would any of this magically make the pathological haters vanish? Probably not! But maybe it would've made everyone else a little less grouchy about it. :shrug:

To reiterate: Getting codes early on was kind of annoying and maybe could've been done a little bit better and lots of people really didn't feel like jumping through hoops. I'm not the least bit surprised those people were mildly irked. Presumably the supply and demand are already equalizing and that's good! OVER$HILL GIVE ME MY loving HAT YOU GODDAMN FASCIST HITLERS I'M LITERALLY HOPPING MAD ABOUT MY FREE HAT WHY DID YOU RUIN STEALTH WHERE'S SAFEHOUSE CUSTOMIZATION people are still crazy and bad!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
donacdum, thread

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hey Vox, use your pipe and give the thread a tentative date for the new safehouse stuff.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Look at these hat-havers!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Error hat is the best hat

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Grapplejack posted:

Hey Vox, use your pipe and give the thread a tentative date for the new safehouse stuff.

The website straight-up says Oct. 7.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Grapplejack posted:

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

John Murdoch posted:

Uhhhhh okay.

All I'm saying is that Overkill walked straight into this, by their own design. Not that the actual, factual crazies are right to go thermonuclear over a party hat, but by creating some dumb chase for codes, even if in reality there's more codes to give away than actual players, it created the illusion of exclusivity and effectively pitted the userbase against itself since shock of all shocks obsessive video game people want their shiny now rather than some unspecified later. Great for generating hype, but also great for generating some resentment.

If Overkill's lovely playerbase is so well known to be outrageously unstable, you'd think they could've picked a slightly better/more organized way to dump codes instead of in a fashion that made even Totally Rational Cool Guy players grumpy about it. Like this dude:

Really if they had the website giveaway ready to go day one to work in tandem with the manual ones, and were giving away codes across every website a little more unilaterally (IIRC, a few of the spots to look for codes they themselves listed on the website didn't get any for a little while), it might've gone more smoothly. (In fairness, one community guy's computer exploded or whatever; I'm not blaming them for that unforeseen event.) Maybe they could've found a way to give multiple code to everyone, so there was a greater upfront supply of codes to buffer the initial rush. Would any of this magically make the pathological haters vanish? Probably not! But maybe it would've made everyone else a little less grouchy about it. :shrug:

To reiterate: Getting codes early on was kind of annoying and maybe could've been done a little bit better and lots of people really didn't feel like jumping through hoops. I'm not the least bit surprised those people were mildly irked. Presumably the supply and demand are already equalizing and that's good! OVER$HILL GIVE ME MY loving HAT YOU GODDAMN FASCIST HITLERS I'M LITERALLY HOPPING MAD ABOUT MY FREE HAT WHY DID YOU RUIN STEALTH WHERE'S SAFEHOUSE CUSTOMIZATION people are still crazy and bad!

You're right, I did post that, and then like ten minutes later I got a hat and about fifteen minutes later I realized how easy it was to obtain a hat code and I changed my tune. I just didn't post about it. This may be somewhat typical Overkill in that it generates both hype and salt, but ultimately I think they're doing ok. Also you're a loving fascist and I'm gonna stay the hell out of Malibu.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

guess I missed it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Shooting Star is alright.

Faces of Death is pretty boss though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

UnknownMercenary posted:

Shooting Star is alright.

Faces of Death is pretty boss though.

I love Shooting Star- in part because it came out way, way before any of the other good skins, and even now has much nicer, more detailed customization for all available mods.

Also,
https://twitter.com/fmanjoo/status/781334861374066688

Don't be like Trump.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
donald trump does DW pubstoving confirmed

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Donald Tribe

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I really want Hillary and Trump masks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

THE CHORSE posted:

You're right, I did post that, and then like ten minutes later I got a hat and about fifteen minutes later I realized how easy it was to obtain a hat code and I changed my tune. I just didn't post about it. This may be somewhat typical Overkill in that it generates both hype and salt, but ultimately I think they're doing ok. Also you're a loving fascist and I'm gonna stay the hell out of Malibu.

And FWIW I'm probably coming off more harshly than I actually feel; I also think Overkill is ultimately doing ok (and I feel a little bad for the community team + everyone else that got dogpiled by peeps looking for codes). This definitely isn't anywhere close to Road to Crime Fest levels of FUBARed, certainly. Something else that's really nobody's fault were all the people hitting the Steam code lockout on day 1, adding to the lack of chill.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Has anyone decorated their party hat yet?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is funny that they DDoS themselves so you didn't have to because they messed up.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Discendo Vox posted:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Geight posted:

Although

BillmasterCozb posted:

Error hat is the best hat

Has me thinking about changing it

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Paingod556 posted:

Although

Has me thinking about changing it

I dunno...that hat is really slick! What texture is that?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

TopHatGenius posted:

I dunno...that hat is really slick! What texture is that?

Rainbow I think, one of the metalic gradient ones. I'll confirm next time I fire up the game

In regards to the drama over the hats, I'd make the connection to the TF2 'party' hat. They gave one to everyone straight up. Cue massive bitching about it being terrible and a waste and what the gently caress why couldn't you give us something good.

The point is the stove is eternal and all encompassing

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

If Mercenaries 2 let me play as Obama or Palin, this shouldn't be hard.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Discendo Vox posted:

I love Shooting Star- in part because it came out way, way before any of the other good skins, and even now has much nicer, more detailed customization for all available mods.

Not to denigrate the hard work that went into the skin, but that's really more effective advertising than anything else. The only part that looks really different is when it's got a snub nose barrel on it. The colors scheme adapting to each sight is something that a lot of skins do, so that doesn't count.

I do also remember it being one of the early submissions that was not garbage though.

Plan Z posted:

If Mercenaries 2 let me play as Obama or Palin, this shouldn't be hard.

To my knowledge that never came to the PC version, which would have gone a long way to making that broken rear end game more entertaining.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

UnknownMercenary posted:

To my knowledge that never came to the PC version, which would have gone a long way to making that broken rear end game more entertaining.

I've never played this game but this is a very sad thought.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Geight posted:

Yep, I have. Error material all the way, baby! I've yet to find a mask that looks good with it!

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

BillmasterCozb posted:

Yep, I have. Error material all the way, baby! I've yet to find a mask that looks good with it!

This is such a shame too since it's a really cool material. I remember when I finally unlocked it by buying the hotline miami heist I was incredibly disappointed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

error pattern + Rasmus + vertical split + double brown, white or black- a Vox classic.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think it'd be better if there were a pattern that just stretched out the material to fit the mask

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

error pattern + Rasmus + vertical split + double brown, white or black- a Vox classic.

screenshot?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I use double white colour for what amounts to a snowy owl mask with two TV error screens as eyes.

It's loving boss as hell.

Edit: http://m.imgur.com/a/JtMn1

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

spit on my clit posted:

Yep, I have. Error material all the way, baby! I've yet to find a mask that looks bad with it!

I fixed your obvious typo, because