Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Ah, the ignorance of youth. To be specific, not knowing what a cystoscope is.

Ahh the bitterness of old fucks convinced that just because they've been around a few extra decades they know everything and are never wrong.

I'm glad they're getting internet into the retirement homes though, that's progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

Is there an app that will tell me when you guys shut the gently caress up about water?

I dunno. Is there an app that just displays the word "never" in a huge font?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dark Sky tells you when it's raining so maybe you guys could run out of your basements and stick your maws toward the sky to get hydrated.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

hooah posted:

I'm trying to have my mother-in-law set up Google Photos on her iPhone, and she's worried about the permissions (she's in info sec, so she does have legitimate concerns like not wanting her receipts in the cloudbutt). Evidently the first thing Google Photos does on iOS is ask if you want to allow it to back up all your photos, and it doesn't seem like there's a way to prevent it. Since this is a remote situation, can anyone help me figure out if there's a way to only back up specific photos/albums from the get-go?

You can either grant or deny apps permission to your photos; there's nothing for granular permissions like only giving them access to a certain album.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CaptainCaveman posted:

You can either grant or deny apps permission to your photos; there's nothing for granular permissions like only giving them access to a certain album.

It sounds like you have to grant permission when you fist start the app, though, which seems like a bad thing if you're not already hooked into Google's cloud.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I need a podcast app. Podcast.app is starting to really poo poo the bed, so it's time to move on.

I know that Overcast is the new hotness, but I'm not paying $10/year for a podcast app as a service.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Phone posted:

I need a podcast app. Podcast.app is starting to really poo poo the bed, so it's time to move on.

I know that Overcast is the new hotness, but I'm not paying $10/year for a podcast app as a service.

Overcast is free. The $10/yr fee just removes banner ads in the app.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dashlane

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've paid in the past for both Downcast and Pocket Casts and they're both also fantastic. I only switched to Overcast (when it was fully free, then paid a small amount for the pre-subscription upgrade) because it had the Smart Speed feature which was a big seller for me. If that's not a big deal for you, or if it's been added as a feature to any of the other to, then I'd recommend them.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Phone posted:

I've been very happy with Pocket Casts after switching away from Overcast.

The two worst things about it are 1) sometimes there's a slight delay from pushing the play button on something in the list view and the UI updating (maybe 200-300ms), and 2) the silence skip can be overly aggressive. I had hoped #1 was just my ol 5S, but it doesn't seem better on my new 7. But these are pretty minor nits.

The killer feature for me is that it has a way to quickly queue up a bunch of different episodes. That and it lets you tweak the back/forward jumps, independently of each other. I don't remember if Overcast had that as an option.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Have we figured a way to make Google stop asking for our location all the time?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Use some other POS search engine I guess :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bing is like 80-90% as good and gives you rewards

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Counterpoint: Bing has been utter poo poo whenever I've tried to find a specific piece of information. DuckDuckGo is good, tho.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

duckduckgo results aren't as good as google's, I mostly notice it when for technical information. But duckduckgo doesn't monetize every mouse click and key you type in so it's kind of a wash.

All three engines are loving garbage if you're trying to search for products or reviews, it's page after page of click bait "top 10 lists" from a handful of predictable suspects (like cnet) or fake blogs. So at least there's parity there.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Schpyder posted:

Counterpoint: Bing has been utter poo poo whenever I've tried to find a specific piece of information. DuckDuckGo is good, tho.

That's kinda funny because traditional search result links from duckduckgo (the stuff that isn't instant answers) are primarily powered by yahoo

https://duck.co/help/results/sources
https://duck.co/help/company/yahoo-partnership

which has been powered by bing since 2009 or so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8174763.stm

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yeah I'm aware of that arrangement, but there has to be some sort of relevance sorting they do because DDG gets me results pretty close to Google, and Bing's always leave me scratching my head in befuddlement.

This may be specific to the searches I've tried on both, though!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
How do I block ads when browsing or using the youtube app?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can't. Use ProTube instead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Duck Duck Go's complete lack of relevant search info killed it got me when I used it for a few weeks back last year (something on the line I was using stopped Google from working half the time). Like if I searched for Arnold Palmer on it today, it wouldn't bring up any of the news pieces written in the last day. If they've fixed this, I could be tempted to go back because Google are the worst.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

EL BROMANCE posted:

Duck Duck Go's complete lack of relevant search info killed it got me when I used it for a few weeks back last year (something on the line I was using stopped Google from working half the time). Like if I searched for Arnold Palmer on it today, it wouldn't bring up any of the news pieces written in the last day. If they've fixed this, I could be tempted to go back because Google are the worst.

Google is still #1 for searching exact phrases like compiler error messages or lyrics but DDG is good enough for most other things. And DDG is getting noticeably better at those now that StackOverflow is a source for Instant Answers

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

The Milkman posted:

Google is still #1 for searching exact phrases like compiler error messages or lyrics but DDG is good enough for most other things. And DDG is getting noticeably better at those now that StackOverflow is a source for Instant Answers
DDG doesn't give sports scores/standings/etc., and that's a dealbreaker for me

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Milkman posted:

That definitely looks like an improvement, hopefully it keeps getting better.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

PFlats posted:

DDG doesn't give sports scores/standings/etc., and that's a dealbreaker for me

Standings, no; scores yes

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

None of these answers answer the question.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
I am looking for recommendations on parcel tracking apps. I get 3-4 shipments a month sent my way. I'd prefer something free because I am cheap, but if there is a concensus best paid solution that works for me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Deliveries is worth every penny on both iOS and macOS.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Parcel is the best.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

This is what I use and it's very good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Does the gmail ios app sync contacts? We're going to be moving from Exchange soon here at work and I'm really hoping to avoid people needing to set up the mail account on the phone just for contacts/calendar stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hadn't opened it since getting this phone (I use Inbox but keep Gmail for occasional needs) so it asked me for permission to use Contacts. I said no, and it at least looked like my Google contacts were still usable. Doesn't look like there's any way to add to it, though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

I hadn't opened it since getting this phone (I use Inbox but keep Gmail for occasional needs) so it asked me for permission to use Contacts. I said no, and it at least looked like my Google contacts were still usable. Doesn't look like there's any way to add to it, though.

I just noticed Google Apps for Work has ActiveSync so it looks like that's going to be the easiest way to do things since all of our phones are on Meraki Management and I can just push the config that way. Thanks!

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Im having problems setting up the outlook work with my work email account.

Our email is an exchange account. When I first set it up it worked fine. However over the weekend the company made some kind of change to our office 365 account and it quit working.

When I delete and resetup the account it automatically detects my settings and logs me in as an office 365 email account, but I dont recieve any emails because we are not using the 365 email service.

Ive tried hitting the this is not an office 365 email and manually selecting exchange and putting in our login details, but after that it acts like I was successful but still shows that I signed in as office 365. I had our it guy come try to make it work and after about 10 minutes he basically said "beats me, we dont use 365 email so thats why its not working. Not a ton of help there.

Any idea how I can get outlook to quit thinking im on 365 and let me setup as exchange instead? My email works through the default mail.app but I really dont want to use it.

Or worst case scenario is there a good outlook alternative that will give me email notifications and meeting reminders?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

Pretty sure this is the first app I ever purchased on iOS and it's really good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rear end Catchcum posted:

Parcel is the best.

This is me right here. You pay like a dollar a year or something stupid cheap and it also has a mac app.

And a watch app.

Needs suited.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ParcelTrack is free and has always been accurate for me, I don't need advanced features or anything though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm still using AfterShip.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So why do embedded YouTube videos not have scroll bars in 10.1?!! Only when you pop them out of full screen 🤔🤔🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why would anyone want to scroll in a video?

Or do you mean the video time slider?