Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Did FBI Marc impeach himself? DiscV is going to be so sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

WrenP-Complete posted:

I just tried to explain sovereign citizens to a recent Serbian immigrant. I think I failed pretty hard but his summary was, "they are crazy people or not crazy people with wrong ideas and bad understanding of the US government system," which isn't the worst summary.

in sovereign america, law breaks you

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Did FBI Marc impeach himself? DiscV is going to be so sad.

Not meaningfully, by anything I can find. Impeachment just means the opposing side tried to attack their testimony. And just call me Vox. It lets me conflate myself with the similarly pseudointellectual news entity, and with the 5 or so other users with "Vox" in their name.

Breaking:

YESSSS

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh, I almost hope they approve this so the higher court can tear him to shreds...

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Sep 29, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subterfrugal posted:

Cross examination is limited to the scope of the direct examination (and impeachment) by rule. So if the government calls FBI Mark to talk about his conversation with the last four holdouts, the defense can only cross him on his conversation with the last four holdouts (and the time he got caught lying under oath).
But when did he lie under oath?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Not meaningfully, by anything I can find. Impeachment just means the opposing side tried to attack their testimony. And just call me Vox. It lets me conflate myself with the similarly pseudointellectual news entity, and with the 5 or so other users with "Vox" in their name.

Breaking:

YESSSS

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh, I almost hope they approve this so the higher court can tear him to shreds...

"Vox" makes me think "Vox Day" who is an unrepentant shithead though :shrug:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

"Vox" makes me think "Vox Day" who is an unrepentant shithead though :shrug:

I agree. DV also has an unfortunate denotation.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

WrenP-Complete posted:

But when did he lie under oath?

Oh Jesus. Sorry. He didn't lie under oath. I meant that as an example of impeachment being a topic for cross examination.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Breaking:

YESSSS

I'm too tired to process word salad. Does this appeals notice say anything he hasn't already said?

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

I wonder if more pessimistic countries are inoculated against this nonsense a bit? In the US folks believe that freedom is essential, corruption is intolerable, and justice exists. The constitution is practically holy writ, and the founding fathers are all but infallible. So when the American Dream doesn't materialize for you personally, it must be that something is wrong, horribly wrong, and you just need to find the secret code to get back to the ideal USA that civics class promised you.

Old world countries seem to have more resignation for life's little imperfections.
In Germany we have the Reichsbürgerbewegung, who claim that the Federal Republic of Germany does not exist or is a LLC because mumble mumble Postdam Agreement! Two Plus Four Treaty! NATO Double-Track Decision!

Obviously that confers upon them the same rights and privileges that US sovcits enjoy, in particular not having to pay taxes, traffic tickets or needing a driver's license.

e: In fact they've decided that since the Fed.Rep. doesn't exist, that must mean that the Reich is still in charge and they've appointed themselves Acting Reich Government of Germany

Bonfire Lit has issued a correction as of 11:46 on Sep 29, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So they are literal nazis?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mors Rattus posted:

Maybe they're all about the second reich. Third reich is too well-known.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why doesn't the Weimar Republic count as a reich?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Breaking:

YESSSS

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

They haul in the safe and just slam it down on the table in front of him. "Now, what would you like to ask?"

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Mors Rattus posted:

Depends on which group you look at. There are dozens of competing Reich Governments. (Lots of them are literal nazis.)

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why doesn't the Weimar Republic count as a reich?
The official name of the state in the Weimar period was still "Deutsches Reich". Hitler considered it an abomination and didn't recognize it when he named the Third Reich.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Discendo Vox posted:

Oregonian coverage here. Not as good today, unfortunately. the big takeaway:

quote:

If any of the defendants who are representing themselves plan to testify, they will be questioned by another lawyer, the judge said. It would be hard for jurors, she noted, to keep "a straight face,'' if a defendant posed their own questions and then answered them on the stand.

That's a drat shame.

I bet the prosecutor's been waiting his entire career for the opportunity of facing someone representing themselves taking the stand and immediately going, "Objection, you honour! Counsel is leading the witness!"

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Of all his crazy requests, asking for the safe to be introduced as evidence seems pretty reasonable. It won't help him at all, but it's a relevant piece of evidence.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
They should start calling The US CONSTITUTION to the stand in the hopes the judge argues "the Constitution is not on trial here!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bob Socko posted:

Of all his crazy requests, asking for the safe to be introduced as evidence seems pretty reasonable. It won't help him at all, but it's a relevant piece of evidence.

I'm not sure now is the right time to request new evidence be entered- or that the safe is dispositive of anything the jury is determining.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
"let's bring in more hard evidence against me" is definitely not the track i would be taking in this

at least if the safe isn't in the room they can still pretend they didn't damage it

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Bundy: Ladys and gentlemen of the court, I believe you'll find that this safe, this same safe that was at the refuge, the very refuge that

*Bundy jumps out window he has been stepping slowly towards*

Bundy: LATER poo poo LORDS

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Your honor i demand the opportunity to cross-examine the poo poo pit - if we REALLY poo poo in that pit, why can't the state furnish the pit to the court?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MariusLecter posted:

Bundy: Ladys and gentlemen of the court, I believe you'll find that this safe, this same safe that was at the refuge, the very refuge that

WILD CARD BITCHES YEEEEEEHAAWWWW

I wonder if this is a sovereign citizen tactic to claim that it, not he, is Ryan Bundy the legal entity. Gold fringes bitches!

Wasabi the J has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Sep 29, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

MariusLecter posted:

Two minutes later as the police cruisers encircle him and a bunch of cops and a canine unit or two dogpile that gently caress to the ground;

Bundy: "AHHH AHHH I DO NOT CONSENT, I DO NOT CONSENT! NO JOINDER!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Plot twist: The window was 5 stories up and he paralyzes himself. His face goes back to normal though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

Two minutes later as the police cruisers encircle him and a bunch of cops and a canine unit or two dogpile that gently caress to the ground;

Bundy: "AHHH AHHH I DO NOT CONSENT, I DO NOT CONSENT! NO JOINDER!"

"NO JOINDER BRO! AAAAUGH"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I cannot be the only one who fantasizes about these knuckleheads living out their natural lives safe, relatively comfortable, and not free, doomed by the society they endangered to writing letters about how they don't get enough television channels in prison.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Casimir Radon posted:

Plot twist: The window was 5 stories up and he paralyzes himself. His face goes back to normal though.

Or just twists the unaffected side so they finally match up

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WrenP-Complete posted:

I cannot be the only one who fantasizes about these knuckleheads living out their natural lives safe, relatively comfortable, and not free, doomed by the society they endangered to writing letters about how they don't get enough television channels in prison.

I can't wait for Ammon's award winning art career

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

all rear end no class posted:

Or just twists the unaffected side so they finally match up

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/senyorreporter/status/781597487027122177
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/781597872995172352

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/781653649122480128
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/781654459625582592
Whuh oh.

https://twitter.com/Leah_Sottile/status/781586033754333184

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/781658118388273152
Shawna Cox continues to deliver.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Awesome.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Subterfrugal posted:

Cross examination is limited to the scope of the direct examination (and impeachment) by rule. So if the government calls FBI Mark to talk about his conversation with the last four holdouts, the defense can only cross him on his conversation with the last four holdouts (and the time he got caught lying under oath). If the defense wants to talk to Mark about some other aspect of the case, then they have to call him in their case-in-chief.

Thanks, I got my JD from Law-&-Order-Reruns-On-USA-Network University :v:

Discendo Vox posted:

Breaking:

YESSSS

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

I love the idea that the trial has to stop and everyone goes free because of some obscure 1986 point of case law that no one has thought of up until today. And of course randomly throwing in *by right* periodically like it's this legal trump card that magically bends the law to their will. It's like you can tell they're trying to reign in the sovcit bullshit but it slips out every 3-4 pages.

When do the charges from the 2014 occupation start? Is the government going to have a separate trial in Nevada after they've (presumably) won this one? Or will the Nevada-only conspirators be tried in a separate federal court? It'd be wonderful for the Bundy bros to sit in prison for 10 years thinking they're going to be freed, only to be brought into federal court in Nevada for another 10 year sentence.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

red19fire posted:

Or will the Nevada-only conspirators be tried in a separate federal court? It'd be wonderful for the Bundy bros to sit in prison for 10 years thinking they're going to be freed, only to be brought into federal court in Nevada for another 10 year sentence.

All this excitement I totally forgot that idiot got on a loving plane and thought he could fly to Oregon.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I pooted

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
hahaha that rules

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

It's an effigy of Lavoy Finnicum?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WrenP-Complete posted:

That is absolutely what it is. It even looks like a blue tarp shirt.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

you can't see it but it does an animatronic slow-rear end cross draw. And then an animatronic FBI agent on a different car shoots it dead to rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Aha! I see it better now. I was viewing it on my phone yesterday and I thought it was someone standing on top of a car. After living in Oregon for two years I didn't want to assume it wasn't someone on the car dressed normally for them.

Is there video? I looked on youtube and didn't see any, but holy cow are my Audubon Society peeps angry. I can maybe get a friend to film if that car is still there.

Also, I would reiterate* all of red19fire's procedural questions above. Dropping out of law school after one semester was a fantastic life decision, but I am aware to a greater degree how I don't know about any of these issues.

*Is there a verb for re-ask rather than re-tell?

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 13:59 on Sep 30, 2016