Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But there's also the Punisher prison fight from later in the same season where there was nowhere to hide the dudes he'd already taken out and nowhere to run so things get really messy really quickly.

This is also pretty neat but it does the exact same thing I pointed out earlier in terms of Castle's enemies just sorta winking into existence when there's a need for another beat, aside from the big bald guy who takes his time. I think a lot of it is down to a combination of:

A) Centering the fight very specifically in Castle's perspective, rather than allowing for moments of "third person omniscient" camera work to establish the geography of the fight and its non-Castle combatants
B) Having a large number of enemies that are there to pretty much take one attack and die, instead of a smaller number of enemies that represent more persistent challenges

And those are both completely legit choices. For a cool recent fight that does A) but not B), there's always The Raid. For a recent fight that does B) but not A), John Wick does it a bunch. But I think you lose something if you do both at the same time, that same sense of understanding the context and the stakes of the fight that Ken and I were talking about in praise of the opening boat scene in The Winter Soldier

At this point it's more of a matter of taste than anything, though. It's neat to sorta think aloud about what took me out of the fights, but they were well-done enough, especially in comparison to the other stuff I've seen from Daredevil, that I definitely appreciate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

achillesforever6 posted:

Nah DD feels awful because he's the most Catholic person to ever Catholic; he's Catholic Guilt personified, which is why I relate to him

In the comics and season one he is. In season 2 he agonizes and feels guilty about it, but then later on kills some people and doesn't agonize over them.

He pushes a guy off of a twenty story tall building and doesn't really care. And when Elektra is murdering people he just kind of gently admonishes her to not do it in the future.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I dropped Daredevil S2 because the Elektra stuff lost me, but... :stare: holy poo poo that was awesome

Skip everything with Elektra in it and it immediately becomes fantastic.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Soggy Cereal posted:

You should envy me.

I realize I overstated my position, so, sorry guys. Personally I am a nerd baby that enjoys superheroes more than other kinds of movies. I enjoy the fidelity to world-building/continuity, all the crossovers, the serial nature of the movies, etc. - things which make them bad to other people. I do like Batman 89, Raimi Spider-Man 1 and 2, and the Nolan Batsmen, but when I rewatch them I run into the issue of Not My Spider-Man (or Green Goblin or Doc Ock) and Not My Batman (or Joker.) I've never really liked Superman, which is probably why I like Man of Steel. And I do love Rocketeer.

Anyway, I think what I'm getting at is that I feel like the MCU movies are good adaptations of comics (not necessarily just Marvel, but as a medium,) though I acknowledge that they're not technically the best movies from a film perspective. I care a lot more about the characters, which is something I think they get right.

Continuity and crossovers are generally negatively viewed because they compromise the creative process. They necessitate a certain diluteness and amount to characters becoming shadows that contort themselves to drive whatever plot they happen to fall in. I find Marvel's execution lacks ambition and amounts to little more than corporate branding. It's hard enough to make a good movie, never mind a whole universe of interconnecting ones.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Final trailer is so good can't wait to binge watch it Friday night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snJ-nRgx8o0
If nothing else the soundtrack and score will amazing

This looks awesome.

Does Cage have any iconic powered villains? I'm sure they'll be able to make the action exciting regardless, but it would be cool if he went up against something more interesting than guys with guns.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

This looks awesome.

Does Cage have any iconic powered villains? I'm sure they'll be able to make the action exciting regardless, but it would be cool if he went up against something more interesting than guys with guns.

His main villain is The Man.

There's also Mr Fish, who is a guy mutated into a a fish man but is otherwise still a gangster that shoots people.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Guy A. Person posted:

This looks awesome.

http://www.toylabs.us/2014/10/the-top-10-villains-of-luke-cage.html

nobody that us normies would recognize.

It'll probably just be a standard crime syndicate in Harlem or something.

And, yo, if ya'll want to watch the best iteration of Luke Cage then you should just watch Black Dynamite.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Guy A. Person posted:

Does Cage have any iconic powered villains?

Well,

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

he said 'villains' not 'chumps'

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I'm still blown away by the first ten minutes of bvs.That whole metropolis scene is glorious, the sound and music is glorious.Affleck running to the dust fog is a fantastic image.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm far more interested in the Netflix shows than the movies marvel is putting out. Jessica Jones + Daredevil were both pretty amazing, and Luke Cage looks similarly great. Excited to see what they do with the punisher, I could watch Jon Berenthal make dudes leak red all day.

Honestly, the shows are better off compartmentalised from the movies. There's a few references here & there, but they're much better off having their own tone and world. They should just cut all ties at this stage.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drifter posted:

(who the gently caress makes NINJAS boring?)

Everyone.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Beverly Hills Ninja and TMNT would like to have a word with you.
:colbert:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
And lest we forget, speaking of TMNT (2):

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Electromax posted:

And lest we forget, speaking of TMNT (2):

This poster always bugged me. A sweatshirt while out surfing? Come on.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I forgot Leslie Nielson was in Surf Ninjas.

Also, they just cast Man-Ape in Black Panther.

So Panther has at least 3 villains now:

- Killmonger
- Klaw
- M'baka / Man-Ape

Also, rumor is Sebastian Stan is doing an Iron Man style extended cameo in Black Panther.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 29, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, rumor is Sebastian Stan is doing an Iron Man style extended cameo in Black Panther.

I kind of want it to just be multiple shots cutting back to him in the freezer and nothing happening.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I imagine more he would be black panther's secret weapon he unleashes at some point where it looks like the bad guy has him dead to rights.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They're going to unthaw him and then someone activates his brain code and he disappears so they have a plot for Cap4.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The tube will open and Bucky will fall out and shatter on the floor because someone accidentally set the temperature too low.

RBA Starblade posted:

I kind of want it to just be multiple shots cutting back to him in the freezer and nothing happening.

Or this. Slowly zoom in on him every time, too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
After unthawing, Bucky, "Have you guys discovered a cure to my brain problems?"

Black Panther "No, but I need ---"

Bucky, "PUT ME BACK UNDER ITS THE ONLY WAY TO BE SAFE!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"Bucky, it's been 200 years. Steve is dead. The Chintari have taken over. Everyone you know is gone."
"..."
"Just kidding it's been like 2 weeks since we last thawed you. Just wanted to let you know the Mets suck!" *hits 'freeze' button*

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"Bucky, it's been 200 years. Steve is dead. The Chintari have taken over. Everyone you know is gone."
"..."
"Just kidding it's been like 2 weeks since we last thawed you. Just wanted to let you know the Mets suck!" *hits 'freeze' button*

Isn't Steve functionally immortal as long as the Serum's in him? I know that's the case in the comics, to the point where when it was removed from him he instantly shriveled up into an elderly man.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bucky they finally found a cure for cancer! We can give you the treatments and then...

I don't have cancer.

Wait, what were you frozen for?

Brainwashing makes me kill people.

Oh yeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh. We. Totally. Have. Acureforthattoo *rapidly mashes freeze button*

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I bet Bucky is having an extended nightmare while frozen about Cap dating Sharon Carter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I bet Cap is having an extended nightmare about dating Sharon Carter while actually doing it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

I bet Cap is having an extended nightmare about dating Sharon Carter while actually doing it.

Cap whispering into Sharon's ear after a kiss, "You remind me of your aunt"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cap has trouble getting it up but with the serum he's pretty much rock hard anyway.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"..."

:perfect:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

*unfreezes Bucky*
*punches him in the dick*
"OWWWW--"
*refreezes Bucky in the pose of him clutching himself*
*puts the cryo-tube out in the lobby*

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Since Bucky only has one arm now, would this be the first amputee Superhero in film?

He's breaking the last glass ceiling.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lobok posted:

*unfreezes Bucky*
*punches him in the dick*
"OWWWW--"
*refreezes Bucky in the pose of him clutching himself*
*puts the cryo-tube out in the lobby*

just put a hand-writted "Fucky" sign on it and I think we're good.

Since Bucky only has one arm now, would this be the first amputee Superhero in film?

Using the last glass gardening shears is more like it.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I hope they at least build Bucky a new vibranium arm after Tony vaporized his last one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Probably, though he was already an amputee in Winter Soldier. The metal arm replaced the one he lost when he supposedly died in the first Cap movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lobok posted:

Probably, though he was already an amputee in Winter Soldier. The metal arm replaced the one he lost when he supposedly died in the first Cap movie.

Yeah, but he started with two. In comic movie science, a robot arm is just as good.

He's just got one useless flesh stick now. He can't even deflect a bullet with that thing.

He also only has one shoulder now. That means that roughly half of the dances white people do at weddings are out of reach for him now.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well, RoboCop

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I can't wait for Armless Tiger Man to fight him in his own movie.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more thematically appropriate it is. The problem is that it's still Armless Tiger Man.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

He had one arm in winter soldier, it's a metal robo-prothseses.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fellblade posted:

He had one arm in winter soldier, it's a metal robo-prothseses.

He wasn't a superhero in Winter Soldier.

And, yes, since Cyborg hasn't done anything so far but scream, Marvel beat DC to the punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously RoboCop.

Old or new for fucks sake.

• Locked thread