Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DC was beating out Marvel in the first months of the New 52 as well, things will normalize come Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

DC was beating out Marvel in the first months of the New 52 as well, things will normalize come Christmas.

The difference now is that double shipping will inflate things. Two Batman issues will sell much more than a Batman and a Batwing for instance. Two Supermans will sell much more than a Superman and a Superboy. Two Harley Quinns will sell more than a Harley Quinn and a Lobo. And anything will sell better than stuff like Men of War, OMAC, Stormwatch, Grifter, or Blackhawks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually liked Blackhawks, but it was also really obviously them trying to do an off-brand GI Joe book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

, things will normalize come Christmas.

I'm more worried about the next slate than CW2.

https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/780523297377320961

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 29, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

So did marvel finally break the market?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, I'm less excited by the Now #1s just because it's such a common thing for Marvel and half of them don't even have solicits yet. I'm getting Champions and Jessica Jones, but I honestly didn't know they were out next week until I got the weekly 'your books for next week' email from Comixology.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, only really Champions excites me, everything else is just a continuation of what we already have (New Avengers becoming US Avengers for example). I'm probably going to use it to cut down on my books actually.

I say that now but Squirrel Girl or Hellcat will be in something else and I'll have to buy it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The concept of preordering a comic is p alien to me

Like I stopped doing that for games 10 years ago why would I do that for a comic when I can get it online immediately

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I know my local store likes to know who is going to add something to their list so they know how many to order. They don't want to get stuck with 40 copies of one book and sell 5, or ordering 10 and selling out an hour after opening.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

site posted:

Like I stopped doing that for games 10 years ago why would I do that for a comic when I can get it online immediately

in case you want to collect it, like physical stuff, or hope it sells for a lot 10 years from now

tho I don't think I'd ever preorder a comic personally

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

I know my local store likes to know who is going to add something to their list so they know how many to order. They don't want to get stuck with 40 copies of one book and sell 5, or ordering 10 and selling out an hour after opening.

Hmmm i suppose that's a good point esp since they're dealing with such small margins

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm looking forward to Champions and Cage! out of Marvel Now so far. Gonna pick up Death of X since I like Jeff Lemire, I'll give Thanos and Kingpin a shot, and then Star Wars: Classified in December, but other than that, there's not much I'm going to buy physically.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea if Lemire wasn't writing it I would be iffy about Death of X, but with him on it I'm actually looking forward to it.

I'm worried about the rumored 14 new X-books though. There will probably be at least 2 team books that I'm going to get, but i'm hoping the Solos aren't going to hit all my buttons. Like a Rogue or Magik, I'd have to get those. I could also see myself getting a Nightcrawler book too.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mother of God I keep poking my head into Civil War II and it just keeps getting worse and worse. I'm having to subsist on a slow trickle of unaffiliated X-books and that's already a fairly tainted well to draw on.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Different stores have different markets. I went to a store in the mid 1990s where Chuck Dixon's Robin and Stray Bullets were consistently the top seller the week they came out, because ______________.

If you look at actual nationwide Diamond orders, Civil War II #3 had 176,876 orders. Batman's relaunch has had the following pre-orders:
code:
2	Batman	1*	$2.99	DC	280,360
3	Batman	2*	$2.99	DC	177,105
5	Batman	3*	$2.99	DC	168,939
6	Batman	4*	$2.99	DC	152,985
7	Batman	5*	$2.99	DC	142,142
Now, it's possible that Batman is selling out immediately nationwide, and like less than 10% of all copies of Civil War ordered have actually been sold to a real human being, but it's also possible that store has its own clientele that for whatever reason love DC and are sick of Marvel.

Or possibly Bendis is loving us all again? Anything can happen in this modern world.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 30, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea if Lemire wasn't writing it I would be iffy about Death of X, but with him on it I'm actually looking forward to it.

The Death of X previews are heavily hinting that Jamie Madrox and/or Layla Miller get killed off.

So gently caress that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

The Death of X previews are heavily hinting that Jamie Madrox and/or Layla Miller get killed off.

So gently caress that.

I got the feeling Emma got herself killed as well from the Previews abstract.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

It makes lots of sense if you're buying physical*, but it not so much for digital.

*The short version is that since comics are largely solid on a non-returnable basis, stores have to be fairly conservative ordering new comics. They generally use preorders to determine how many rack copies they order (I've heard 10-20% of preorders, but I'm sure it varies by store), so a comic with limited readership might only have one or two copies on the rack, meaning you aren't guaranteed a copy unless you preorder.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I got the feeling Emma got herself killed as well from the Previews abstract.

I'm just mad at the whole fact that Peter David wrote Jamie and Layla out with an actual happy ending, and now it seems like they're being pulled out of that just to be killed for no loving reason.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

Or possibly Bendis is loving us all again? Anything can happen in this modern world.

If only we could make this an automated BSS response.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Anything's possible with Bush in the white house.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

I have an inside source that says he's trying to kill Captain Marvel!

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
The new Hawkeye book sound exciting. I loved the Kate in L.A. issues from Fraction's run. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

New 52 didn't set a 20 year sales record.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

So Marvel knows this makes the Inhumans look creepy as gently caress right? They don't think a ship full of people with grins like that makes them all seem normal and happy?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Seems like classic comic book art to me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just out of curiosity, how many of you would risk hanging around for the cloud? Knowing there's a non-zero chance of it turning you into a senitent x-ray emitting cucumber creature, I mean.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone posting in this forum is a disgusting subhuman mutant, so it'd go badly for any of us.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

With my luck I'd probably get some power that makes my dingus disappear, so no thanks. Rockslide, Mettle and Thing can keep their 3-way monopoly on that poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'll stick around for a power to make Lurdiak's dingus disappear

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Noooooo

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

With my luck I'd probably get some power that makes my dingus disappear, so no thanks. Rockslide, Mettle and Thing can keep their 3-way monopoly on that poo poo.

Mettle has a dick. He literally talks to Rockslide about how he does in comparison to Rockslide being all Ken doll, and its part of the reason he decides to stay with Hazmat after angsting about how he doesn't deserve to be with her.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Argument irrelevant, Mettle dead.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Inhumans turn into nonhuman forms far too often for my tastes

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Mettle has a dick. He literally talks to Rockslide about how he does in comparison to Rockslide being all Ken doll, and its part of the reason he decides to stay with Hazmat after angsting about how he doesn't deserve to be with her.

Man, Mettle was a dead man walking in Arena - not only was he black, he and Hazmat did the deed at the start of the story. That's the Kiss of Death in slasher movies.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd hope I'd get the power to be like a super accounting power or the ability to code really well.

But yea, I'd probably just be one of those inhumans that looks weird without anything useful.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

On the one hand, superpowers.

On the other hand, I'd be an Inhuman who's not Kamala, so NO THANKS.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Is there a support group for casual comic book readers who never heard about One More Day and thought "Hey, I enjoyed reading Civil War, now that I have Marvel Unlimited I should read some of the stuff that follows, I especially want to see what happens to Spider-Man"?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Man, Mettle was a dead man walking in Arena - not only was he black, he and Hazmat did the deed at the start of the story. That's the Kiss of Death in slasher movies.

Mettle was Pacific Islander, not black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I can definitely see how, especially in the Marvel Universe, a bunch of normal people faced with a potential source of an origin might decide to stick around and go for it.

That said, most of the really unfortunate Inhumans seem to be conveniently offstage a lot of the time, so that might influence the decision a bit. I get the feeling nobody is publicizing the notion that you might die or end up wearing your organs on the outside or something.

Come to think of it, few if any of the new-generation Inhumans ended up with anything that was seriously disfiguring.

• Locked thread