Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's the black stainless compare to black aluminum? I like chrome but I always end up scratching every chrome thing within a 3 meter radius of me.

It's very shiny black. If you have a problem scratching things, it's not going to be any better than silver stainless (which is not chrome - it's just polished stainless steel). The black aluminum is more matte and will probably take scratching better. In neither care are you likely to scratch off the coating, though.

EDIT: Anyway, the biggest issue IMO with black (regardless of material) is that it's much more limited in bands you can use. Almost nothing other than black bands will look good with it. Silver is much more versatile.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

I still finish the day with 50% battery.

How? Even with the S1 I'm at 10% or less at the end of the day. I'm pretty active, as stated earlier, so maybe that's it? I don't have it continuously monitoring my heart rate during workouts or anything.

I said come in! posted:

no one on this site works out, so what are you doing with your watches?

I know your joke was tongue in cheek, but I literally walk on an incline treadmill every morning for cardio and lift weights 5x per week. Other than that I text myself with it strapped around my cock because I have a haptic fetish.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

housefly posted:

How? Even with the S1 I'm at 10% or less at the end of the day. I'm pretty active, as stated earlier, so maybe that's it? I don't have it continuously monitoring my heart rate during workouts or anything.

I know your joke was tongue in cheek, but I literally walk on an incline treadmill every morning for cardio and lift weights 5x per week. Other than that I text myself with it strapped around my cock because I have a haptic fetish.
The S1 has the same battery as the S0, I think. I was ending a day around 20-30%, sometimes dipping to 10%, so that's probably not too unusual. The S2's battery is a full third larger, so better battery life is to be expected unless you're away from the phone a lot. Unless he's talking about an S0 in which case I have no idea.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Endless Mike posted:

The S1 has the same battery as the S0, I think. I was ending a day around 20-30%, sometimes dipping to 10%, so that's probably not too unusual. The S2's battery is a full third larger, so better battery life is to be expected unless you're away from the phone a lot. Unless he's talking about an S0 in which case I have no idea.

I'm talking about a 42mm S2. Big battery owns. Lasts way longer than advertised if you don't use the GPS.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Jesus I never thought being able to take phone calls from the watch would be a killer feature. Conference calls (I have an office that I can shut the door so I'm not a total prick who makes everyone listen to them) have never been so great.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

It's very shiny black. If you have a problem scratching things, it's not going to be any better than silver stainless (which is not chrome - it's just polished stainless steel). The black aluminum is more matte and will probably take scratching better. In neither care are you likely to scratch off the coating, though.

EDIT: Anyway, the biggest issue IMO with black (regardless of material) is that it's much more limited in bands you can use. Almost nothing other than black bands will look good with it. Silver is much more versatile.

I would maybe agree with the space grey. But shiny black goes with almost every thing I have so far and I have a pretty decent variation of bands.

My aluminium one chipped a little on the body and scuffed slightly in one corner, but I was never trying to be careful with it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

I have a yellow sports band that works well with my black SS.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The majority of the watch's visible surface is shiny black screen, so I think the notion that any of the neutral-colored bodies look totally out of place with more bands than another is really silly.

Gold and rose gold wearers are who we should be united in shaming.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Anyway to get podcasts on the watch so you can listen without phone?

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

Well, this is going badly. Apple Watch series 2 refuses to switch on. Charged on a known working charger. Ten second reboot hold. Just no response. Any ideas...? (Apple support call already scheduled)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Fuckin hell Crasspple said battery life would be the same. Now I'm feeling grifted on this s1.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wooly posted:

Well, this is going badly. Apple Watch series 2 refuses to switch on. Charged on a known working charger. Ten second reboot hold. Just no response. Any ideas...? (Apple support call already scheduled)
Your phone watch is broken. Take it back.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Fuckin hell Crasspple said battery life would be the same. Now I'm feeling grifted on this s1.
I think it was that S2 life would be the same as S0 with GPS activated. Battery will obviously be better with GPS off.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if holding both buttons down for a long time doesn't reboot it then it's probably broken.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is this a controllable behavior? I'm new to the Apple Watch with my S2. When I receive a message (or any notification really) my watch will ding but nothing out of my phone. No lighting up the display or anything. Can I change a setting somewhere so that way I receive the notification on both? I'd like my phone to wake as well as the watch.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

TraderStav posted:

Is this a controllable behavior? I'm new to the Apple Watch with my S2. When I receive a message (or any notification really) my watch will ding but nothing out of my phone. No lighting up the display or anything. Can I change a setting somewhere so that way I receive the notification on both? I'd like my phone to wake as well as the watch.

I don't know if there's a setting for this but I'm genuinely curious as to why you want this to happen.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TraderStav posted:

That's intended behavior -- notifications are set to show up on your active device, so if your phone's screen is off, they'll show up on your watch. Likewise, if your phone's screen is on, they'll show up on the phone instead of the watch. Not sure if there's any changing that!

Can confirm that it'd probably be annoying, though. Sometimes I'll get a string of iMessages that will both show up on my Macbook and wake my phone moments later, and I go into tech nerd overload telling inanimate objects to shut up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

comper posted:

I don't know if there's a setting for this but I'm genuinely curious as to why you want this to happen.

Perhaps it's a matter of getting used to the watch, but I spend a good portion of my day with my phone on my desk face up and if for whatever reason I don't notice the watch notification I wouldn't catch it on my phone. I've missed several because of it. I want to say when I was an Android user and had a Moto 360 it notified both so I'm a bit used to that behavior.

I suppose I need to get used to relying on the watch for notifications.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah I really look forward to the day when I won't get watch notifications when using my iPad or MacBook. It's seriously annoying compared to how well it works on the iPhone.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

TraderStav posted:

Perhaps it's a matter of getting used to the watch, but I spend a good portion of my day with my phone on my desk face up and if for whatever reason I don't notice the watch notification I wouldn't catch it on my phone. I've missed several because of it. I want to say when I was an Android user and had a Moto 360 it notified both so I'm a bit used to that behavior.

I suppose I need to get used to relying on the watch for notifications.

Fair enough. I'm in a similar situation, though I've gotten used to keeping my phone in my pocket now and only taking it out for something I actually need to respond to with a full keyboard when I see it come in through the watch. For me, I'd be annoyed if both notified me at the same time which is why I was curious.

If there isn't a setting to accomplish this, try setting a repeat alert for messages in your watch settings, or turn on the "prominent haptic" setting under "sounds & haptics" in the watch's settings and it'll be much harder to miss anything.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

comper posted:

Fair enough. I'm in a similar situation, though I've gotten used to keeping my phone in my pocket now and only taking it out for something I actually need to respond to with a full keyboard when I see it come in through the watch. For me, I'd be annoyed if both notified me at the same time which is why I was curious.

If there isn't a setting to accomplish this, try setting a repeat alert for messages in your watch settings, or turn on the "prominent haptic" setting under "sounds & haptics" in the watch's settings and it'll be much harder to miss anything.

I do love that aspect and was just driving around when I realized what the biggest change is for me. When I have Waze up the phone is active so my watch never buzzes or anything on my commutes/drives. Not that I want to be managing alerts while driving but being aware my wife sent me a text can trigger me to call her. I have long drives so it's sometimes a problem to wait 60 minutes or so to see I needed to tend to something.

I shall adapt!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

I do love that aspect and was just driving around when I realized what the biggest change is for me. When I have Waze up the phone is active so my watch never buzzes or anything on my commutes/drives. Not that I want to be managing alerts while driving but being aware my wife sent me a text can trigger me to call her. I have long drives so it's sometimes a problem to wait 60 minutes or so to see I needed to tend to something.

I shall adapt!

Is Waze that much better than using Maps for driving directions? One of my favorite watch features is how the watch will vibrate like a turn signal when a turn is coming up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

T

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is Waze that much better than using Maps for driving directions? One of my favorite watch features is how the watch will vibrate like a turn signal when a turn is coming up.

That's a nice feature that I haven't played with but Waze is far better in my opinion. It's realtime routing around hazards / traffic ahead continues to amaze me. When I go against it 90% of the time I regret not listening to it as I watch the traffic fly by on the local/express where it told me to switch to.

Plus I can easily send my ETA to my wife so she knows when to expect me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple Maps does that, too, though I can't say whether it's as good as Waze (probably not), though of my two times using it, once took me through some really pretty country roads, which was nice, while the other took me through a bunch of suburbs only to put me back on the highway (though the highway was barely moving, so it may have, in fact, been faster).

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah if holding both buttons down for a long time doesn't reboot it then it's probably broken.

Yeah. Couldn't find any other suggestions. Apple are shipping a replacement - the Apple person I spoke to said there's a contingent stock for replacement and it should be with me within 48 hours. Fingers crossed.

Weirdly, it still seems to be running (Bluetooth is connected) - I checked and it's not in screen curtain mode - though only just found out about that little trick.

I've got a 347 day move streak. Fortunately I kept my old Watch so I can hopefully use that to maintain those red rings.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Huh, yeah it's shiny black (with a slight metallic sheen) but the DLC coating is extremely scratch resistant. I've had mine for over a year and only scratched mine recently while grinding it on a rock climbing wall, which also scratched the sapphire. Hell DLC might be harder than sapphire on the hardness scale for all I know. Course the big drawback is that if it does scratch you can't just buff it out like on the regular stainless.

As far as bands, just difference in opinion v:shobon:v. I found black/dark bands to be a bit boring (perhaps cause it's all black at that point without a contrasting body) and have all bright and contrasting bands for now. The biggest issue is that most bands use silver attachments/buckles, there's a lot of ones with black but ultimately it's still less common.

(...on the other hand I think the silver aluminum looks better than the black/gray aluminum :v:)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK cool, so my watch came in. WatchOS feels really confusing to me, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

How much effort do I have to put into the fitness tracking on this thing? I want to go for a walk. Do I need to tell it to start counting calories/fitness or is it going to be smart enough to just do all that in the background? Not sure if I need to put it into some kind of fitness mode first.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Casual walk, I don't bother.

For a run where I want continuous HR (and thus accurate calories) and a route map, I start an activity.

You'll get the hang of the OS. There's not much to it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahh, ok thanks, that makes sense.

Is there a huge difference between HR polling in non-workout mode?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

During workouts, it's continuous, but during non-workouts it only checks when you're relatively still.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Endless Mike posted:

During workouts, it's continuous, but during non-workouts it only checks when you're relatively still.

I pretty sure it checks on a time interval. Not based on movement.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

After my first full day (~13 hours) with the S1 including a 2-hour workout, the watch is at 30%. That's agreeable, I suppose. I've since removed some dock items and turned off some background refreshes, so maybe it'll fare better tomorrow. The workout likely had me waking the screen a whole lot, but I'm not interested in disabling raise-to-wake.

Phone is at 40% though -- ouch! I'm used to around 70% at this time with quite similar usage. Might need to trim some fat there, too.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

enojy posted:

After my first full day (~13 hours) with the S1 including a 2-hour workout, the watch is at 30%. That's agreeable, I suppose. I've since removed some dock items and turned off some background refreshes, so maybe it'll fare better tomorrow. The workout likely had me waking the screen a whole lot, but I'm not interested in disabling raise-to-wake.

Phone is at 40% though -- ouch! I'm used to around 70% at this time with quite similar usage. Might need to trim some fat there, too.

The anecdotal evidence people will give you is that as you use the device you will become more natural using it and it will learn more about how you use it and optimize background tasks and you will see longer battery life.
I'm afraid it's only anecdotal but lots of people will tell you their first week or so with the AW saw an end of day battery charge of about 30% that turned into regularly being 60%.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
S1 here... first few days I was at ~40% by end of day. Right now I'm sitting at 73% and it was off the charger at 8am EST. I have disabled some background apps but mainly just from not messing with it as much as I can has really helped. I only have 35 min of workout time today though so that might be why I'm getting better battery life than others.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

milkaxor posted:

I pretty sure it checks on a time interval. Not based on movement.

Apple posted:

When you use the Workout app, Apple Watch measures your heart rate continuously during the workout.
This information, as well as other data it collects, helps Apple Watch estimate how many calories you’ve burned. In addition, Apple Watch measures your heart rate throughout the day when you’re still.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In practical terms (from observation and not rigorous math) it seems to me that during a workout your HR is logged roughly every 10 seconds and out of workout, it's every 5 or six minutes (with the "still" caveat).

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Anyone have one of the keychains that has tracking so you can use your watch to ping it for a sound? Similar to find my watch, I guess, except for your keys. I've seen a few products but wondering what people thought of them.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I want to see what I can do with just watch Series 2 and bt headphones.

Can I listen to podcasts somehow? How do I store a podcast on it?

Can I use Run Keeper without my phone? If not, can I record a run with just the watch somehow, like with Activity?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

I want to see what I can do with just watch Series 2 and bt headphones.

Can I listen to podcasts somehow? How do I store a podcast on it?

Can I use Run Keeper without my phone? If not, can I record a run with just the watch somehow, like with Activity?
I think the iPhone app lets you manage your audio that actually gets stored on it. It has like...5gb of space so you can't go wild.

From what I hear, the watch automatically detects when there is no phone nearby, and it will go into GPS mode from there. If your phone is within range it'll use phone GPS.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

Anyone have one of the keychains that has tracking so you can use your watch to ping it for a sound? Similar to find my watch, I guess, except for your keys. I've seen a few products but wondering what people thought of them.

I have tile because I got a good discount off of them. I've used it twice, but I guess I don't lose things easily. You still have to be in Bluetooth range is the main caveat.

Compare tile and trackr (tile has a Watch app, not sure about trackr).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I have tile because I got a good discount off of them. I've used it twice, but I guess I don't lose things easily. You still have to be in Bluetooth range is the main caveat.

Compare tile and trackr (tile has a Watch app, not sure about trackr).

I lose my keys, wallet nearly daily. I have tile key rings and tile slim for my wallet. Lifesaver for me.

• Locked thread