Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I paid $75 this summer for my best friend (a huge, lifelong Star Trek fan) to get a photo with William Shatner at a con, as a birthday present. I got in it too, since there wasn't an upcharge for a second person. He barely acknowledged us and wouldn't shake hands with anyone -- not that I can blame him, given his age and all the germs -- but there was a line out the door for him too.

They're actually not really supposed to. Those convention photo ops are usually a fee for the celebrity to sit there for X amount of time, while the company running the photo ops tries to funnel as many people as possible through to make their money.

Autographs sessions are slightly better if you want to talk to them, since that's their own time and money. But cons still try to make those move fast, since they're scheduled for specific intervals.

A friend of mine was in line for Greg Capullo in Toronto, but the convention organizers cut the line off at some point. Some of the people cut off went over to his booth hoping he'd go there after the session, and when he showed up he went to everyone there and shook their hands and apologized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I have a friend who lives for getting photos and autographs at cons. We both went to Wizard World Philly and I barely saw her because she was in line for something or other like 90% of the time. Seems pretty exhausting and boring to me because I'd rather walk around and see near poo poo, but i guess some people are really into that kinda thing so I won't begrudge them for it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I only go to cons anymore to meet writers and artists I like, and to get them to sign books. The last two cons I went to, both over the summer, I brought a rolling suitcase with me, stacked full of TPBs and my custom-bound hardcovers. I met most people I wanted to meet, and I'm glad most of them don't charge for autographs. A few of them had a tip jar or requested donations for CBLDF, which was totally fine with me. I met one of my lifelong favorite writers, Keith Giffen, as well as Tony Harris, Adam Hughes, Peter David, Mike McKone, Gail Simone, Fabian Nicieza, Jose Marzan Jr., David Finch, Leinil Francis Yu, and John Beatty, and got them all to sign stuff.

Fabian Nicieza would charge for signing anything Deadpool- or X-Force-related, but signed anything else for free. I brought him the old Adventures of Captain America miniseries he did with Kevin Maguire in the early '90s, and he was thrilled to see it and chat about it.

I think Rob Liefeld charges A LOT for signing New Mutants #87 or #98. I didn't even bother to try to go to a special VIP Frank Miller signing because he was charging as much as the celebrities, but I was really surprised Klaus Janson was charging $10 per signature. And then there's Neal Adams who charges $30 per signature.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

And then there's Neal Adams who charges $30 per signature.

I would imagine he'd sign it for free if you could convince him that you also believe our planet is hollow.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
William Atherton also wanted $30 for an autograph at that Phoenix Comicon.

William Atherton.

Thirty dollars.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

According to AV Club Woody Allen's Amazon show sucks. Too bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

They're actually not really supposed to. Those convention photo ops are usually a fee for the celebrity to sit there for X amount of time, while the company running the photo ops tries to funnel as many people as possible through to make their money.

Autographs sessions are slightly better if you want to talk to them, since that's their own time and money. But cons still try to make those move fast, since they're scheduled for specific intervals.

A friend of mine was in line for Greg Capullo in Toronto, but the convention organizers cut the line off at some point. Some of the people cut off went over to his booth hoping he'd go there after the session, and when he showed up he went to everyone there and shook their hands and apologized.

Richard Hatch was at Comic-Con a few years ago at one of the "wait in line forever to get a free autograph" 3 person panels and since I couldn't make it I gave my friend my original BSG DVD collection booklet to have him sign, and since my friend was clearly not super excited or concerned about it Hatch actually started talking to him about why he was there and talked to him for a minute or so (friend was and looked ex-military). I imagine the deluge of fans and superfans takes something out of them so when they get someone completely relaxed it gives them a bit of a breather. My friend was also getting autographs from the other 2 people there not knowing who they were but he told them something along the lines of "It seems like you're pretty famous so I might as well" and they found that amusing enough to talk to him as well.

I think someone in one of the GBS "post awkward celeb photos pics" talked about when they were taking the photo with Patrick Stewart (who was wearing a UK football shirt) they made a comment about his team as a joke and he chatted with them briefly. Everyone else just got stone silence and a "thanks for the money now move on"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

According to AV Club Woody Allen's Amazon show sucks. Too bad.

First episode is fine but extremely old hat.

edit: episode 2, once Miley Cyrus shows up, is way better

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 30, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Almost Human has no redeeming value except for a few fun conversations between the two leads while driving.

But it was a sci-fi show on Fox so it still somehow had people championing it and cursing Fox for not giving it six seasons and a movie.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The money they wasted on that could have paid for AT LEAST two more seasons of The Grinder. :colbert:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

But it was a sci-fi show on Fox so it still somehow had people championing it and cursing Fox for not giving it six seasons and a movie.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but maybe if they'd shown the episodes in order, the season arc would have actually made sense.

It had some solid episodes and it starred KARL loving URBAN. I've seen a lot of good shows with really weak first seasons, so I would have been curious to see if they ever found their footing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

It was a fun show and deserved at least another season. It was better than loving Firefly at least.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It had two strong leads with good chemistry together. It really only had the potential to get better.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just think it would be cool, if on a dare, Fox would air the episodes of a scifi show in order. That way, if it still sucks, we can at least say we watched it the way the creators intended it and it sucked.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

It had two strong leads with good chemistry together. It really only had the potential to get better.

It was also really expensive to produce because of the futuristic sci-fi setting, and also apparently hard to work on since Karl Urban said he was done working on TV after it was cancelled because of how stressful the ordeal was.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Of all the things for a network to gently caress with, episode order makes the least amount of sense to me. What could they possibly hope to accomplish? What is the thought process that goes into that? Just... why? :psyduck:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

Of all the things for a network to gently caress with, episode order makes the least amount of sense to me. What could they possibly hope to accomplish? What is the thought process that goes into that? Just... why? :psyduck:

The first couple episodes were leagues better than the others and were displayed out of order; the show nosedived in quality once they returned to the original episode order. Having a show hit the ground running with a good number of viewers to start off with enables them to actually keep the show in production. Most shows just hemorrhage viewership through their run until cancellation; the only shows on air now I can recall offhand that defy that statement are NCIS (though who knows what the #s are now that Weatherly is gone) and The Walking Dead. Both of them have grown from season to season in numbers.

Also it didn't help that Minka Kelly played somebody with the personality of a doorstop and I literally couldn't tell you the other actors for the squad in the show.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 30, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Party Plane Jones posted:

The first couple episodes were leagues better than the others and were displayed out of order; the show nosedived in quality once they returned to the original episode order. Having a show hit the ground running with a good number of viewers to start off with enables them to actually keep the show in production. Most shows just hemorrhage viewership through their run until cancellation; the only shows on air now I can recall offhand that defy that statement are NCIS (though who knows what the #s are now that Weatherly is gone) and The Walking Dead. Both of them have grown from season to season in numbers.

Also it didn't help that Minka Kelly played somebody with the personality of a doorstop and I literally couldn't tell you the other actors for the squad in the show.

Also it was a procedural cop show, it's not like it was loving up some grand serialized storytelling or anything.

A lot of shows air episodes out of order, people only notice when it's done poorly or they want an excuse for a show's cancellation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

First episode is fine but extremely old hat.

edit: episode 2, once Miley Cyrus shows up, is way better
I've liked Miley Cyrus in most things I've seen her in since like 2010, so this isn't a big surprise.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Also it was a procedural cop show, it's not like it was loving up some grand serialized storytelling or anything.

A lot of shows air episodes out of order, people only notice when it's done poorly or they want an excuse for a show's cancellation.

I mean sure, but lots of people were wondering what happened to the "his GF was actually a terrorist" plot hook that was introduced in the pilot and then not mentioned again until halfway through the season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished Crisis in Six Scenes. Basically a longer version of one of the worse late-era Allen films. Meh.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Supposedly dudes like Norman Reedus spends time loving around with fans and chatting with them too, which you can usually tell from the pictures. But then you see the ones where the actor is just sitting on a chair while a fan stands near them and it's like...how can any fan think yeah this was totally worth doing.

Who has that gif of that person (maybe from Stargate?) where they have a fixed smile in every picture. It was an attractive actress.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Is there a recommendation thread? I'm trying to find some sci fi I can watch with my wife, who hates aliens in costume. She was fine with Battlestar Galactica and loves The Expanse.

Some of these you are no doubt aware but whatevs:

Twilight Zone
Fringe
I have fond memories of the first season of Dark Angel
Rick and Morty?
Black Mirror
Other Space (light comedic take, low budget but has good actors/writing, 6 eps)
I've heard good things about Outlander
First season of Orphan Black
Sense8!!!!
British version of Life on Mars
Misfits (very much like Outer Space, but meaner)
Babylon 5 (very 90s, but still very good)
Planetes (I know, anime, but the writing is very good)
Now and Again (no one remembers this, short-lived, but good)
Daybreak!!!!
The Outer Limits (haven't seen it in years, but have fond memories)

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

the only shows on air now I can recall offhand that defy that statement are NCIS (though who knows what the #s are now that Weatherly is gone) and The Walking Dead.

Grey's Anatomy is gaining numbers in season 13 :) It also had a couple other spikes and valleys of popularity.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Shageletic posted:

Who has that gif of that person (maybe from Stargate?) where they have a fixed smile in every picture. It was an attractive actress.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why do people like Summer Glau?

edit: She was okay in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles because "unfeeling bitchy robot" seemed right in her wheelhouse. I haven't liked her in anything else I've seen her in.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Shageletic posted:

Some of these you are no doubt aware but whatevs:

Twilight Zone
Fringe
I have fond memories of the first season of Dark Angel
Rick and Morty?
Black Mirror
Other Space (light comedic take, low budget but has good actors/writing, 6 eps)
I've heard good things about Outlander
First season of Orphan Black
Sense8!!!!
British version of Life on Mars
Misfits (very much like Outer Space, but meaner)
Babylon 5 (very 90s, but still very good)
Planetes (I know, anime, but the writing is very good)
Now and Again (no one remembers this, short-lived, but good)
Daybreak!!!!
The Outer Limits (haven't seen it in years, but have fond memories)

Thanks! We've seen a lot of these, but there's soem stuff here we haven't. I really really wish she would get into Babylon 5, I loved the show and would love a rewatch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks! We've seen a lot of these, but there's soem stuff here we haven't. I really really wish she would get into Babylon 5, I loved the show and would love a rewatch.

Babylon 5 is really rough and really cheesy, even when it's conceptually solid.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Snak posted:

Babylon 5 is really rough and really cheesy, even when it's conceptually solid.

Yeah, exactly. You watch it for the overall story and the progression of the arc and characters, not individual episodes. Even if some are great. If I recall correctly, I believe it was one of the first sci fi shows that actually featured a massive story arc, right? Star Trek: TNG really didn't do much of that, and DS:9 only really got on board with it for the Dominion War stuff.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Vanderdeath posted:

Another guy I knew got laid over with Brent Spiner, who he said was really nice and appreciated that my friend wanted to talk about stuff other than Star Trek. Apparently Spiner is really into music, too.

I know a dude who met Jonathan Frakes at an event and said the he was amazingly nice and cool.

I've known two people that met Josh Holloway and said he is really down to Earth and cool as well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, exactly. You watch it for the overall story and the progression of the arc and characters, not individual episodes. Even if some are great. If I recall correctly, I believe it was one of the first sci fi shows that actually featured a massive story arc, right? Star Trek: TNG really didn't do much of that, and DS:9 only really got on board with it for the Dominion War stuff.

Yeah, but good luck rewatching it.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Guy Mann posted:

The show hinged on the relationship between the 2 leads and showing them out of order led to the situation where in one ep they ribbing each other and shooting the breeze and in the next episode Urban goes "I loving HATE ANDROIDS WHY IS THERE ONE IN MY CAR!!!"

Don't get me started, in EVERY SCENE she's like smirking in a way that completely looks like she's mugging for the camera, how did she even get a job.

Kraps fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 30, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have you seen her?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest celeb convention picture story was the one that happened to someone in the TVIV Star Trek thread, where they went to a convention that had Robert Picardo and told him to his face that while he was good on it, they thought Voyager sucked. They then took a picture of him and the expression on his face was pretty funny.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Snak posted:

Why do people like Summer Glau?

She's really good looking?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is she?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Snak posted:

Is she?

Yes? She's also really nice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fByZTqIgw0U

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

Is she?

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't really have anything against her, I just think she's a mediocre actress, and her fan following seems hugely disproportionate.

• Locked thread