Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Krazyface posted:

I can't watch right now, what exactly does the thermonuke do?

in a 5 tile radius

E: diameter not radius

Jump King fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
And 20 turns of radioactive fallout too! Plus the explosion looks loving immense

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I guess the whole unstacking cities things means that all that destruction is a lot more visible, rather than just missing buildings in your city list or damaged units in your damaged city.

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

in a 5 tile radius

Five tiles across, a two-tile radius from impact. The same size as in V, though a lot more powerful. And it looks cooler.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hogama posted:

NDA's up! There should be a bunch of videos going up, even if Firaxis doesn't publish anything today.

I know quill18 is livestreaming, for one.

Some of the others going live:
Arumba's
Filthyrobot's

Youtube videos up:
Marbozir
quill18
Filthyrobot
Writing Bull (German language)
Drew Durnil (looking at the later game)

Which of these people are tolerable?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Marb and Quill are great.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Atheris posted:

Five tiles across, a two-tile radius from impact. The same size as in V, though a lot more powerful. And it looks cooler.

Yeah I uh, corrected before you posted that

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah I uh, corrected before you posted that

I'll blame that one on the Awful app.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Atheris posted:

I'll blame that one on the Awful app.

No prob, you're right though, 5 tile radius would be insane

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

No prob, you're right though, 5 tile radius would be insane

I want a return of the Eco Ranger from Call to Power.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Ah, what better way to fight pollution than setting untold millions of cubic tons of building materials and hazardous chemicals ablaze.

CtP's sheer absurdity is part of what made it fun though.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 30, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DarthJeebus posted:

Ah, what better way to fight pollution than setting untold millions of cubic tons of building materials and hazardous chemicals ablaze.

Look, if we kill everyone, then there'll be no more manmade pollution!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DarthJeebus posted:

Hey now. Read the Civlopedia and the Eco Ranger does nothing of the sort. It unleashes a self-propagating swarm of nanomachines that turns a four-tile square into beautiful parkland.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Look, if we kill everyone, then there'll be no more manmade pollution!

There is something appealing about enacting a "Dark Green" Eco policy in a civ game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That was in Alpha Centauri, after all

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That was in Alpha Centauri, after all

To build Eco Rangers (and Eco Terrorists...) in Call to Power you had to be an Ecotopia government, which was the main late-game warmongering government as opposed to the other late-game governments of Virtual Democracy and Corporate Republic.

Look, it was the 90s.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pretty sure Firaxis stole the Televangelist for their religion mechanics

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
waiting to pre order this game for some sale. Please go on sale. I WANT YOU CIV 6!!!!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jastiger posted:

waiting to pre order this game for some sale. Please go on sale. I WANT YOU CIV 6!!!!

Why would it go on sale now? It's about to launch. That's the best time to get the people willing to pay full price.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
It's not super uncommon for pre-orders to be available at a discount. When I pre-ordered Civ 5 I did so through (IIRC) Green Man Gaming and it was like $11 cheaper. They don't seem to have a similar deal for 6, though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DarthJeebus posted:

It's not super uncommon for pre-orders to be available at a discount. When I pre-ordered Civ 5 I did so through (IIRC) Green Man Gaming and it was like $11 cheaper. They don't seem to have a similar deal for 6, though.

This^^ usually its a modest sale, but a sale none the less. Or they add in some goodies or some such.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

wasn't their some site with a discount posted a few pages ago?

Also the current news is that the ai is bad

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It's 20% off here:
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/sid-meiers-civilization-vi

Though it's region locked and won't activate if you're in North Korea or Syria :(

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Also the current news is that the ai is bad

I was watching filthy's stream and he had a lot of AIs being hostile and declaring war for seemingly no reason. Might of had something to do with the hidden agendas, but I'm going to be pretty disappointed if this game has Civ 5's "always hates you and will inevitably backstab you no matter what" AI behavior.

Otherwise, bad AI is just par for the course in Civ.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 31, 2022

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I want to get this and make the world kneel before Uruk.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I don't particularly care about AI, as long as they can put up a fight, especially if they are going to declare war. Only Civ4 ever got that right.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sean Bean's narration :swoon:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Powercrazy posted:

I don't particularly care about AI, as long as they can put up a fight, especially if they are going to declare war. Only Civ4 ever got that right.

This is the core of what everyone who talks about AI improvement in this thread means.

Personally, I remain skeptical about that part even in the face of my mounting hype about this game!

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 31, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

splifyphus posted:

It seems pretty likely that the only way they'll be able to do this is with carpets of doom on higher difficulties, same as the last game.

:ohdear:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Seems like they might have issues to iron out post release with ai combat and stuff, but overall the game is sounding a lot more feature complete to begin with.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Game is $45 on GMG with voucher code VIP3. I don't think it will be more than 25% off before launch- likely as good as it will get.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I've been waiting for this. I sincerely hope that they've built a resilient counter-attack mechanic in, because Civ 5 was always a case of first-strike superiority.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I've been waiting for this. I sincerely hope that they've built a resilient counter-attack mechanic in, because Civ 5 was always a case of first-strike superiority.

Or at the very least, a delay and detection mechanic. Truly simulate MAD.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

They'd probably have mentioned it by now if they had.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Some players mentioned that uranium is very scarce, so the counter mechanic might be to just make absolutely certain that you don't let the guy who hates you get them.

I'm hoping that each uranium can only be used once so that the guy who nukes had better win to avoid the worldwide backlash.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK2X3IxUfLY

Marbozir goes through the whole tech tree.

Some points:
The Great People game seems way more involved.
The Venetian Arsenal gives you a free naval unit whenever you make a naval unit.
The Science Victory is now to establish a colony on Mars, which is the result of completing these three projects.
The Replaceable Parts tech (unlocks Infantry) gives every farm +1 food for EACH adjacent farm.
Modern artillery has range 2, but if you keep an observation balloon nearby it can increase their range to 3. Rocket artillery has range 3.
Crossbowmen upgrade into the Field Cannon, which has ranged strength; actual siege units have "bombard strength" instead.
All units have a set upkeep cost (nukes cost like 16gpt).
You can build seaside resorts to produce tourism.
Forts give units 2 extra turn's worth of fortification, whatever that means.
AT guns now upgrade into bazookas; light cavalry upgrade into helicopters; modern armour requires uranium.
Factories no longer require coal.
Big Ben doubles your existing treasury.

Also it appears that nuke video lied, certain units like the battleship CAN defend against nukes.

ed.:
The Civil Engineering civic lets you build farms on hill-plains and hill-grasslands.
Privateers are invisible unless adjacent (I think they upgrade to subs?) and can coastal-raid.
Planting forests is back in. The game distinguishes between old-growth and second-growth forests in terms of Appeal.
There's a civic that gives you +50 gold whenever you turn a farm into a neighbourhood.
There's a shitload of really cool Casus belli that come into/out of effect over the game. Colonial War lets you declare on any civ 2 tech-eras behind; Crusade declares on any prick you dares to convert one of your citizens; the late game has "War of Territorial Expansion" which is basically anyone with too much border. The general effect is to reduce warmonger penalties by 50% (Territorial Expansion only reduces by 25%).
Communists can get 0 war weariness from war within their territory.
There's a Shipwreck resource in the late game.
One of the last policies you can unlock is ecommerce: +5 production and +10 gold from each international trade route.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 30, 2016

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Thank Baby Jesus; the time-relative maintenence sucked in civ V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Krazyface posted:

Big Ben doubles your existing treasury.

Just that? So if you have 10 gold you now have 20?

I too was hoping for some kind of nuclear attack mechanism. For instance, if the enemy launches, the game will pause and other players are only able to launch nukes themselves. If they have a detection system in place.