Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

John F Bennett posted:

Just that? So if you have 10 gold you now have 20?

I too was hoping for some kind of nuclear attack mechanism. For instance, if the enemy launches, the game will pause and other players are only able to launch nukes themselves. If they have a detection system in place.

Big Ben (and almost everything else I mention) has a couple of other effects, I'm just picking out the best bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Krazyface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK2X3IxUfLY
Marbozir goes through the whole tech tree.

He's also got the whole civics tree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLO6-3VjMeQ
And the Natural Wonders as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAvP_LaR3es

Some other streams that popped up, no idea on the quality of them all and I'm sure there's plenty of redundant info. Still, it's Civ VI to watch if the next 21 days seem too long.

Alex The Rambler! as England.
Arumba as Rome.
ChristopherOdd as Scythia.
Rythian as Rome.
UnstableVoltage as Germany.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Krazyface posted:

The Science Victory is now to establish a colony on Mars, which is the result of completing these three projects.

What, no more Alpha Centauri spaceship? That's been a constant since 1991.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Truly the end of an era.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Our expectations for the future of space exploration have scaled down dramatically.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Augh, watching some of these LPs is so frustrating. Like that one guy running after barbarian scouts and complaining he can never catch them while at the same time never realising his archers have range 2 and could have shot them to death ages ago. Or one hour in still not understanding how the new movement rules and zones of control works, but never once just looking it up in the Civopedia or something. That's the kind of stuff that even my incompetent rear end has figured out just from looking at the UI and watching like half a dev stream.

Edit: Jesus Christ now he's wondering why he can't finalise a diplomatic deal when it says right at the top of the screen that the other side won't accept it. :negative:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 30, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Clarste posted:

Our expectations for the future of space exploration have scaled down dramatically.
Civ 10's science victory will be "launch a satellite."

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It was frustrating to watch someone experience all the little incremental research boosts you get for playing in certain ways, and then immediately try to use that to create some byzantine attempt to game the system. Like, I thought those things were in the game to stop you from having one clear correct pathway to go down, but it just seemed to result in saying "we need to research X and then Y, but we also have to build these three things and kill a barbarian to do it in a particular order". It seemed to be making things more dynamic sometimes, but other times it just became another layer of systems to plan the ideal route through in a really tiresome way.

And playing on prince difficulty, too! You don't need to pull this poo poo when you're playing on prince, just have fun.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Watching Quill search everywhere but the combat section in the Civlopedia to try and figure out why warriors have a bonus against spearmen was pretty frustrating. Nobody seems to have cottoned on to how the new city focus buttons work either but it's not actually been a problem so far.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Red Bones posted:

It was frustrating to watch someone experience all the little incremental research boosts you get for playing in certain ways, and then immediately try to use that to create some byzantine attempt to game the system.

That doesn't actually sound like "gaming the system", it sounds more like "playing the game well".

You're supposed to use the boosts to help you.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Do any of the streams show the modern era? If so, how is it compared to Civ 5?

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 30, 2016

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just from watching preview stuff, I already hate Philip.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Pre ordered yesterday from Green man for $62.57, deluxe edition. Was gonna go with bundle stars, but they have some first day spending limit and I couldn't check out. Seems like bad business!

Saw somebody earlier scoffing at the idea that this would go on sale so close to launch, but it's common practice now. I got X-Com 2 deluxe for $56 two days before it launched.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 31, 2022

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DarthJeebus posted:

It's not super uncommon for pre-orders to be available at a discount. When I pre-ordered Civ 5 I did so through (IIRC) Green Man Gaming and it was like $11 cheaper. They don't seem to have a similar deal for 6, though.

? They've had 22% off for the last few days, unless it's a regional thing (I'm in Europe).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

splifyphus posted:

Right, but the Eureka system boils down to 'it's a waste to research anything without a boost', so getting through the tech/civic trees forces you into a minigame of leaping through a series of arbitrary hoops in the correct order. When both trees double back on each other (you have to have X civic to boost Y tech or vice versa), there's a very clear optimal progression path.

I kind of wish the Eurekas were a lot harder to get. Most of them just seem to happen as a matter of course.

You see how "You have to research the boosted things, it's a straitjacket" and "It's really easy to get boosts" contradict each other, right?

If you made it harder to get boosts you'd complain harder about being straitjacketed into researching the ones you do have.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Augh, watching some of these LPs is so frustrating. Like that one guy running after barbarian scouts and complaining he can never catch them while at the same time never realising his archers have range 2 and could have shot them to death ages ago. Or one hour in still not understanding how the new movement rules and zones of control works, but never once just looking it up in the Civopedia or something. That's the kind of stuff that even my incompetent rear end has figured out just from looking at the UI and watching like half a dev stream.

Edit: Jesus Christ now he's wondering why he can't finalise a diplomatic deal when it says right at the top of the screen that the other side won't accept it. :negative:

It is always the worst players who happen to get a game early. I remember being excited about a game a few years ago, and watching a stream from one guy who managed to get it a day early. He lost half his life just looking around the screen while he stood in a fire. These streams seem to be the strategy game equivalent of that.

Most of these streams are really bad except for Marbozir. I wish he would release his content faster. Other than him, it's mostly people pretending to over analyze the board state because they're scared to allow the game to proceed.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If you made inspirations easier then they wouldn't matter at all, and I'm pretty sure by late game you'll have either done enough stuff that everything will be boosted, or you've powergamed your science enough that you can research things fine without the boost.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 31, 2022

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

Most of these streams are really bad except for Marbozir. I wish he would release his content faster. Other than him, it's mostly people pretending to over analyze the board state because they're scared to allow the game to proceed.

Civilization is not really a streamable game. Games like , say, Super Meat Boy on the other hand, where losing is part of the gameplay are streamable because the game does not assume any mechanical knowledge from the player, and dying gets you immediately back to the action. Losing in Civ on the other hand is pretty bad for streamers, because it betrays that you don't know enough about the game, and watching your session was a waste of time. Which is why they stall so much.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

It is always the worst players who happen to get a game early. I remember being excited about a game a few years ago, and watching a stream from one guy who managed to get it a day early. He lost half his life just looking around the screen while he stood in a fire. These streams seem to be the strategy game equivalent of that.

Yeah, I've gone through quite a few streamers searching for another good one. Writing Bull seems pretty good if you happen to speak german. He's a little prone to rambling on, but it's generally pretty funny and pleasant. I tried to watch FilthyRobot because he's got so much put out already, but he's just such a dense motherfucker.

:downs:: "I built this encampment but I don't really know what it does. What does it do? What does it do?! I can't find it!"
*Mouses over the encampment's button several times but never checks the tooltip.*
*Opens up civopedia, clicks through half a dozen random articles, pointedly ignoring the ones concerning Districts, Encampments, or Citizen Management.*

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

splifyphus posted:

If you had to go out of your way and make a significant time/resource investment to get a boost, and if it were difficult/impossible to get every boost, the system would work as intended.

That depends on exactly what "as intended" is. I've always kind of had the impression that one of the major motivations behind the eureka system is to cut down on civs making illogical leaps; a landlocked nation making breakthrough advances in naval engineer or an unarmed pacifist nation researching cutting edge military technology. Effortlessly getting boosts for everything except parts of the game you're not participating in does not necessarily mean the system is broken.

(It does make "get a free random eureka" into a pretty terrible reward, though. It also cuts down on the eureka minigame aspect they clearly wanted, but given the sheer number of little micro-quests to do even that seems to fall more into "feature not bug" category.)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Bit the bullet on the gmg thing somebody posted earlier, 25% is probably as good as I'm getting , and I know where I stand so I went with the deluxe one.

Perestroika posted:

I tried to watch FilthyRobot because he's got so much put out already, but he's just such a dense motherfucker.

:downs:: "I built this encampment but I don't really know what it does. What does it do? What does it do?! I can't find it!"
*Mouses over the encampment's button several times but never checks the tooltip.*
*Opens up civopedia, clicks through half a dozen random articles, pointedly ignoring the ones concerning Districts, Encampments, or Citizen Management.*

I watched his and yeah... some of his errors were perfectly reasonable ones he noticed quickly but others got tiresome

I will say that in fairness he offered to try to learn the game before streaming but popular demand was to see him learning the game for some reason. So that was doomed to the start

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Perestroika posted:

I tried to watch FilthyRobot because he's got so much put out already, but he's just such a dense motherfucker.

I really respect FilthyRobot's V skill but his VI videos have been not so good. I do enjoy Marbozir and a few others, though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also after ordering civ from GMG I have the option to give somebody else 5% off if they've never used GMG before. So if you haven't and you want civ vi to be a touch cheaper then pm me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm watching Quill18 play as Rome and the city state Brussels is just making GBS threads out a large carpet of units. 15+ seems a tad excessive for a CS.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Just from watching preview stuff, I already hate Philip.

Seeing how Philip is so far makes me scared of what Isabella is going to be like

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Poil posted:

I'm watching Quill18 play as Rome and the city state Brussels is just making GBS threads out a large carpet of units. 15+ seems a tad excessive for a CS.

Considering how much of a static blob city states are in 5, I'll take the Brussels murderball, even if it's patched out later or doesn't exist on release. It'll be funny at least once.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm on mobile and haven't had a chance to watch any videos yet; do city states have borders like Civ V or are they single tile like BE?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm on mobile and haven't had a chance to watch any videos yet; do city states have borders like Civ V or are they single tile like BE?

They have borders like in V.

Apparently if you're allied to them you can pay a lump sum of gold to take control of their entire army for 30 turns which is a pretty neat mechanic.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They have borders, and apparently they can enforce them like players and entering their borders may require a declaration of war if they're enforcing closed borders and you're not the suzerain.

So like V, but even more restrictive.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
e; nm

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

They have borders, and apparently they can enforce them like players and entering their borders may require a declaration of war if they're enforcing closed borders and you're not the suzerain.

Can the suzerain enforce closed borders? It would be a nice way to mess with their neighbours.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Seeing how Philip is so far makes me scared of what Isabella is going to be like

I dunno, I could see Isabella either sitting this game out entirely or emphasizing her history as a diplomat, unifier of Spain, and sponsor of exploration. Civilization has typically played up her role in finishing the Reconquista, but with Philip locking down the religious warmonger role for Spain I think it would be an interesting move to emphasize Isabella's other notable accomplishments - she's the queen who sponsored Columbus, united the Spanish kingdoms, accomplished great internal reforms, and settled affairs with Portugal.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Rexides posted:

Can the suzerain enforce closed borders? It would be a nice way to mess with their neighbours.

I haven't seen that option... I'm not even sure it's a toggle, it seems more likely that it's a "switch" that is automatically "flipped" when Early Empire is discovered. Until Early Empire, everyone's borders are automatically open to each other, but after Early Empire, borders become closed and you need an Open Borders agreement to traverse them like you could before. I'm not sure there's even an option to leave them "open to all" after Early Empire is discovered. Unless you just went around giving everyone open borders via diplomatic agreements. But I could be wrong, there may very well be such a "toggle".

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I could see Isabella either sitting this game out entirely or emphasizing her history as a diplomat, unifier of Spain, and sponsor of exploration. Civilization has typically played up her role in finishing the Reconquista, but with Philip locking down the religious warmonger role for Spain I think it would be an interesting move to emphasize Isabella's other notable accomplishments - she's the queen who sponsored Columbus, united the Spanish kingdoms, accomplished great internal reforms, and settled affairs with Portugal.

Based on the leader poster and the multiple leaders per civ thing being confirmed it's likely she'll be in imo.

That's a good point though, I'm just so used to war Isabella I didn't consider they might go in a different direction.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Based on the leader poster and the multiple leaders per civ thing being confirmed it's likely she'll be in imo.

That's a good point though, I'm just so used to war Isabella I didn't consider they might go in a different direction.

War Isabella could certainly still happen, but I'm inclined to think they'll want Isabella to have a different personality from Philip who's already a religious warmonger.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah, I find War Isabella a bit of a classic, but with my staunch opposition for doing things just because they're civ tradition (:bahgawd: Ghandi!) it's a bit silly of me to not think of that.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Am I doing something wrong on the GMG thing? It took $2.40 off the deluxe version for me.