Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which was more embarrassing?
This poll is closed.
The Debate 32 14.81%
MNF 8 3.70%
Donald's Hair 12 5.56%
Six Pickspatrick 48 22.22%
The Texans 50 23.15%
Whatever's about to happen to the Bills. 37 17.13%
Print the Shirts 29 13.43%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I protested the anthem today

Yeehaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Has to be parody...nobody is that tone deaf...right? RIGHT?

JJ Watt is the most dominant defender in the NFL in 20 years (Ok, maybe a bit less). How many guys on defense do you plan around? Yeah, there are some amazing players, but not change the entire game on that side of the ball good

He's alright I guess, but he's no Ray Lewis.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is Bosa even gonna play this season?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Dr Tran posted:

Is Bosa even gonna play this season?

My guess is he'll play in week 7, after the mini bye following the Denver game

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Kalli posted:

Huh, you know, usually NFL contract TRADE ideas have no prayer of working due to cap space and accelerated dead money and the age of the players involved.

Joe Thomas is in year 5 of a 7 year deal, has zero future dead money, and is only being paid $10m for each of the next two years.

Joe Thomas is on his age 31 year... there's a pretty drat good argument trading for him is worth a first round pick.

I'd easily give up a first and a fourth round pick.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

My guess is he'll play in week 7, after the mini bye following the Denver game

I guess he has a tweaked hamstring after looking?

If that's an excuse and it isn't injury related this is just baffling. I mean, you took the guy 3rd overall and a big part of his upside is how NFL ready he was supposed to be.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Huh, you know, usually NFL contract TRADE ideas have no prayer of working due to cap space and accelerated dead money and the age of the players involved.

Joe Thomas is in year 5 of a 7 year deal, has zero future dead money, and is only being paid $10m for each of the next two years.

Joe Thomas is on his age 31 year... there's a pretty drat good argument trading for him is worth a first round pick.

A 1st still seems high for a non-QB on the wrong side of 30.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blaine Gabbert isn't the worst at something: http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Check-on-checkdowns-Where-49ers-Gabbert-ranks-9516815.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

% of passes on 3rd down that result in a 1st down:

Chopping off the parts no one cares about, the best QB's are at the top of course, Philip Rivers, Jimmy G, Stafford, Osweiler.... but as we head to the bottom we get:

T21. Alex Smith, Chiefs: 60.0 (9-15)
T21. Carson Wentz, Eagles: 60.0 (9-15)
23. Case Keenum, Rams: 57.2 (8-14)
24. Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins: 55.0 (11-20)
25. Tyrod Taylor, Bills: 53.8 (7-13)
26. Drew Brees, Saints: 52.9 (9-17)
27. Blaine Gabbert, 49ers: 47.1 (8-17)
28. Andy Dalton, Bengals: 45.8 (11-24)
29. Blake Bortles, Jaguars: 44.4 (8-18)
30. Sam Bradford, Vikings: 42.9 (6-14)

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Haven't posted in TFF since the Washington game.

Just want to say..

This was a fun read: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ricky-williams-awful-nfl-contract-never-gave-him-a-chance/

And Odell Beckham Jr. did nothing wrong.

Thanks, God Bless.

Go Giants.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

WHOOPS posted:

I'd easily give up a first and a fourth round pick.

It's fun watching TFF lusting over Joe Thomas to x team rumors every year. And now they think we will give up the most stable part of our o line while our QBS are taking a beating and repeatedly claiming to not be tanking. Also nevermind that for whatever reason Joe DOES NOT WANT TO LEAVE.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I respect Joe Thomas

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Flikken posted:

It's fun watching TFF lusting over Joe Thomas to x team rumors every year. And now they think we will give up the most stable part of our o line while our QBS are taking a beating and repeatedly claiming to not be tanking. Also nevermind that for whatever reason Joe DOES NOT WANT TO LEAVE.

Joe Thomas probably needs a CAT scan at this point

Only a contender would pay a premium for Thomas but what contender has a massive whole at LT in the first place?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

28. Andy Dalton, Bengals: 45.8 (11-24)

(nods quietly to self)

Nov 6, 2002

Unless they plan on drafting a franchise quarterback next season, keeping Thomas on the roster is really, really dumb. He is not going to be in this team's long term future, so trade him while he's still near peak value. If they keep him for next two years they will have squandered his trade value for what? To protect a few garbo quarterbacks during more rebuilding/losing seasons?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Only a contender would pay a premium for Thomas but what contender has a massive whole at LT in the first place?

Seahawks, Vikings, Panthers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Flikken posted:

Agreed, but you know, this bit? They're lying. Like every team that tanks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

(nods quietly to self)

Can't kick a FG unless you wildly sail a pass on every 3rd down in the red zone.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Joe Thomas is a great dude and his dedication to the Browns is certaintly... incredible.

That said, one has to presume that with the failed RG3 experiment, the nothings they have behind him and the utter despair that is the rest of their roster, that they will be drafting a quarterback next year. So in that sense, it makes sense to keep JT around, because, if he's happy with losing, having your rookie QB be able to stand in a nice pocket makes development a hell of a lot easier, just ask the Cowboys or Broncos this year.

All I'm saying is that if they wanted to trade him, a first round pick actually sounds like something they could get.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 30, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

It doesn't really matter as Watson or whoever they pick at QB is a guaranteed bust anyway

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Man imagine how sad Rhabuf will be if they trade Thomas

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

That said, one has to presume that with the failed RG3 experiment, the nothings they have behind him and the utter despair that is the rest of their roster, that they will be drafting a quarterback next year. So in that sense, it makes sense to keep JT around, because, if he's happy with losing, having your rookie QB be able to stand in a nice pocket makes development a hell of a lot easier, just ask the Cowboys or Broncos this year.

I mostly agree if they are going to go hard after a real franchise QB. But the thing is what is more valuable to a team attempting to rebuild:

Two years of good left tackle play under a veteran contract?

-OR-

A first round pick?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I mostly agree if they are going to go hard after a real franchise QB. But the thing is what is more valuable to a team attempting to rebuild:

-OR-

A first round pick with a rookie contract?

I agree they should stockpile picks, but at the same time, if Joe Thomas is really the mythological story we've been told who is happy in Cleveland and just wants to build a winner, then trading him could actually be significantly damaging to the locker room culture there, and that's gotta be a fragile loving place as is.

Maybe he can be what Bruce Armstrong was to a young Drew Bledsoe for a few years.

E: Holy crap, nevermind that Bruce Armstrong comparison, Bruce played until 2000?

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 30, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

-OR-

A first round pick?

I think you edited this or I imagined something, but the Browns have the most cap space in the league.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

This is indeed a fun read. That "Be as Good as Terrell Davis" bit is :stare:

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I agree they should stockpile picks, but at the same time, if Joe Thomas is really the mythological story we've been told who is happy in Cleveland and just wants to build a winner, then trading him could actually be significantly damaging to the locker room culture there, and that's gotta be a fragile loving place as is.

Locker room culture is the least of the Browns' problems. Lack of talent and depth is a bigger problem. More picks solve that problem.

Smart teams get rid of players while they're still valuable assets. The Browns should make the smart - if unpopular - move here.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Flikken posted:

it's a joke cause that's what the Vikings traded for Bradford, sorry for triggering you.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tom Brady, Cam Newton among those heavily tied to human fighting ring.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
You mean football?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

You mean football?

Well that too I guess.

Cam, Tom, Bob Kraft all bought a minority stake in the UFC along with Sylvester Stallone, Ben Affleck, Mark Wahlberg, Conan O’Brien, Jimmy Kimmel, Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams and Venus Williams.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/781968770571001856

Is it just me or are there more people headed to I-:commissar:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

adaz posted:

Suh is amazing, and as a Nebraska fan I love him most dearly. In college he was exactly what Watt was - an unstoppable force able to dominate games and throw quarterbacks around like rag dolls. He can't really do that in the NFL with any sort of consistency especially now that he is stuck on whatever it is that the dolphins assembled. JJ Watt can. Actually none of those guys can and it's not even particularly close. The comparison to his destruction of defenses is basically Reggie white (:3:) in the 80s, the last player who just absolutely dominated in all aspects of the game head and shoulders above the competition.

https://theringer.com/jj-watt-antonio-brown-rob-gronkowski-nfl-position-kings-f1634d2647d1#.6e0cu8862

Uh Miamis defensive line is great and it's pretty well known.

ANCIENT but great

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if a ton more players (or certainly more high profile players) are heading to the IR this year now that you can just bring a single player back after 6 weeks regardless of when they went on and don't have to pick them as eligible to return before they go on the IR.

Like, I doubt the Vikings wouldn't have put AP on the IR without that rule.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

I guess he has a tweaked hamstring after looking?

If that's an excuse and it isn't injury related this is just baffling. I mean, you took the guy 3rd overall and a big part of his upside is how NFL ready he was supposed to be.

Yeah, he tweaked a hamstring and the coaching staff is bringing him along slowly

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

More like "bad" Watkins

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

whypick1 posted:

It's okay guys, we claimed.....Justin Hunter? poo poo. :suicide:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sign Josh Gordon.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yes, Buffalo and their notoriously sober fanbase would be the perfect place for a recovering addict entering rehab to go.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Yes, Buffalo and their notoriously sober fanbase would be the perfect place for a recovering addict entering rehab to go.

drunk NFL fans???

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

davecrazy posted:

Haven't posted in TFF since the Washington game.

Just want to say..

This was a fun read: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ricky-williams-awful-nfl-contract-never-gave-him-a-chance/

And Odell Beckham Jr. did nothing wrong.

Thanks, God Bless.

Go Giants.

God drat, I knew Ricky's contract was a hilarious mess of hard/impossible to achieve milestones but never knew to what extent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Dumb question: is Josh Gordon still eligible to sign with any other team even though he has checked into rehab?

• Locked thread