Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

That log out then back in in another mode trick still works on the mission board right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Quick rundown:

You mailman between sothis and ceos till you are friendly with 2-3 sothis factions.
You dont really need more than friedly because the higher pay missions that come with allied have so much cargo that the overall number of missions goes down.
Like, a mission for 10 millions will usually have 180 tons of cargo.
On the other hand theres also missions for 2 millions which require 6 cargo.

So in theory, going simply by cash/ton, you would be better off doing only the smallest missions you can find, BUT this means more stations/systems to go to and significantly longer time spend refreshing mission boards.
You will find your very own optimal balance.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

TorakFade posted:

I am not sure guys, this stuff is new to me, I only know the general idea is "go out there, grab high pay missions, get back"

Please help me get loving rich

1. Go to Ceos.
2. Stack up and run data delivery missions between Ceos and neighbouring Sothis to get your rep up with the local factions and so get better cargo delivery missions.
3. Then start doing cargo missions to deliver bio-waste or hydrogen fuel. While these missions require you to travel 400+ Ly, all mission destinations are within the same area in the bubble. Pick the ones with the best money to cargo ratio and stack them up. Scum the mission board if that's your thing. Typically I end up doing 4+ missions of around 4+ million payout each so I get towards 20 million payout for an hour or so game play.

My 80T cargo run ASP. No fuel scoop just extra tanks for the long journey.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/03A5A5A4D4A5D5C------00---05f5f302400101.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Trader%20Asp

IF you get interdicted just submit, start boosting, chaff if needed and FSD out of there.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I got home tonight a bit later than usual, which meant the missions I stacked in ~90 minutes last night were all low. Figured I'd race it, plotted the whole thing and cruised in to a port with ~20m in quests and like eight minutes left on the timer. Completed one quest and nowhere to turn in the others. Relogged, stared at markers in the navigation panel and maps just to see if I was going insane - same deal. Abandoned and sold off all the cargo. Flew to the next station with a stack of quests... same deal. Flew to the next...

Tonight I spent an hour turning in three quests for like 10m and tanking my Empire rep down to Friendly. Christ only loving knows how horrible my Sothis/Ceos rep is now. Is this some sort of new bullshit? Should I not be taking missions on after a maintenance window or something?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Type 7 and Keelback getting buffs in the beta in the form of increased durability and enlarging internals.

They still won't min/max out to be the best so all the :goonsay: will be useless but if you like oddball ships this could be good news.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Type-7 aka the ship that should fit medium pads but doesn't because designers were on drugs and made it too tall, ie. "just take a Python".

Does that mean the Keelback can hold two fighters?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

orcane posted:

Type-7 aka the ship that should fit medium pads but doesn't because designers were on drugs and made it too tall, ie. "just take a Python".

Does that mean the Keelback can hold two fighters?

See what I mean folks!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey now, there's a difference between "the best" and "still bad because everything about the ship is medium except its height so it can't dock at outposts". I didn't say it's useless :v:

I still flew it as a poor man's Python for trading and it looks kinda cool, although I didn't realize the cockpit is a glass bubble at the very bottom until I bought it (it would be cooler if it was in the sloped top area IMO). Also I had to stop using it because like other Lakon ships it vibrate excessively in normal flight (ie. not while bosting or jumping) which occasionally made me nauseous.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 30, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

King of Cheeses posted:

1. Go to Ceos.
2. Stack up and run data delivery missions between Ceos and neighbouring Sothis to get your rep up with the local factions and so get better cargo delivery missions.
3. Then start doing cargo missions to deliver bio-waste or hydrogen fuel. While these missions require you to travel 400+ Ly, all mission destinations are within the same area in the bubble. Pick the ones with the best money to cargo ratio and stack them up. Scum the mission board if that's your thing. Typically I end up doing 4+ missions of around 4+ million payout each so I get towards 20 million payout for an hour or so game play.

My 80T cargo run ASP. No fuel scoop just extra tanks for the long journey.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/03A5A5A4D4A5D5C------00---05f5f302400101.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Trader%20Asp

IF you get interdicted just submit, start boosting, chaff if needed and FSD out of there.

In my experience a class 3 fuel scoop is more efficient, as you lose too much cargo space and jump range with a class 5 fuel tank. If you scoop a few hundred kg every time you fly by a star, waiting for the cooldown, aligning for the jump and honking, you lose perhaps a minute or two waiting for hovering. But 24 twons of cargo more mean I can squeeze in another 1-2 batches of 24 slaves, which is a difference of about 6-12 millions per trip. I seldom get interdicted, so YMMV. A good trip without too much of board shuffling takes ~75min to and fro and nets 60-75mio. I am not sure if a Python is more efficient, but I clearly prefer the nimble handling of the ASP in and out of SC. Every few rides I'll switch to a combat fitted Python and let those punks have it.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 30, 2016

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

Einbauschrank posted:

In my experience a class 3 fuel scoop is more efficient, as you lose too much cargo space and jump range with a class 5 fuel tank. If you scoop a few hundred kg every time you fly by a star, waiting for the cooldown, aligning for the jump and honking, you lose perhaps a minute or two waiting for hovering. But 24 twons of cargo more mean I can squeeze in another 1-2 batches of 24 slaves, which is a difference of about 6-12 millions per trip. I seldom get interdicted, so YMMV. A good trip without too much of board shuggling takes ~75min to and fro and nets 60-75mio. I am not sure if a Python is more efficient, but I clearly prefer the nimble handling of the ASP in and out of SC. Every few rides I'll switch to a combat fitted Python and let those punks have it.

I certainly wouldn't argue with that. I've lazily stuck with my original smuggler build where not stopping to fuel scoop was a distinct advantage. Nowadays there's less hassle ferrying bio waste or hydrogen. I'll update my build :)

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Tippis posted:

You didn't conclude that already from seeing HIP 63835? :D

It's kinda like ongoing sentiment. Most O-class systems are actually somewhat sensible. Then there are the systems where honking the scanner fills the radar with star icons. You know youre in for some BS physics when that happens.

I dub this system the Star Dong.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In my experience in the last two weeks, it takes extremely long to fill up an Asp-E let alone a Python (~250t) with 6-8 ton missions paying 300-400k/t, even just getting enough missions paying about 200k/t (ie. to roughly 50 million per round trip) can take forever and it sucks. Maybe I should go tank my faction rep with Federation Unite! etc. :(

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TorakFade posted:

I think I need more dakka in my space life. I want to buy a FdL but I need a bunch more millions and I am willing to grind a while.

Is robigo still a thing? Or sothis and ceos? How does it work again? I have Asp and python but I would rather use the former because it's engineered and has a 27ly range laden with 90 tons of cargo, should make trips less painful Vs the 17ly of the python with double the cargo

Old Robigo is dead; New Robigo is pretty much the same as Sothis/Ceos, which are both pretty profitable but not as much as the old Robigo exploit, which is now dead.

The basic idea of Sothis/Ceos/Robigo is that missions are procedurally generated, and the amount that they pay is also procedurally generated based on the parameters of the mission and some random chance. Sothis, Ceos, and Robigo are all outposts placed well outside the normal bubble, which means that they are hundreds of light-years away from any other station, which means that the nearest valid destination they can generate missions to are hundreds of LY away. Because of that, that the hauling missions generated in those systems are much longer-range than normal, and because of that they also tend to pay significantly more than normal. And since all those potential destinations are all in the same direction, they tend to be a little closer together than normal and require less hopping around.

So you go out to Sothis, Ceos, or Robigo, take as many long-range hauling missions as you can (resetting the mission board as needed), then take all of that cargo 400-500ly away to the bubble and complete the missions. Then fly back and do it again. It's a long trip, but the payouts are a lot higher than usual, so one run can get you tens of millions of credits.

At Sothis and Ceos, you can also do short-range missions between the two, since they're less than 9ly apart - its good for building rep out there with data deliveries.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Currently in ceos playing mailman and taking any missions 6-10 cargo. With 104 cargo space this should average on 25 millions or so once I fill up and go back, this is awesome

And I am still cordial with some factions, next round will be even better. Holy cow this is good.

Of course it's getting nerfed in 2.2 right?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

TorakFade posted:

Currently in ceos playing mailman and taking any missions 6-10 cargo. With 104 cargo space this should average on 25 millions or so once I fill up and go back, this is awesome

And I am still cordial with some factions, next round will be even better. Holy cow this is good.

Of course it's getting nerfed in 2.2 right?

Reportedly, but then the beta background simulation is different and people say :frontear: doesn't need patches to adjust the spawn rate or payout of these missions so it may just be a test server fluke.

Also increasing your rep isn't all good. Once you're friendly or allied, the missions tend to emphasize larger hauls which pay less per ton of cargo hauled, so you'll spend much more time looking for good hauling missions (or just hauling missions in the first place). On the other hand, you slowly get federation rep from one faction and medium sized missions (up to like 24t of cargo) still pay decently without having to visit a dozen stations for turn-ins.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

orcane posted:

Reportedly, but then the beta background simulation is different and people say :frontear: doesn't need patches to adjust the spawn rate or payout of these missions so it may just be a test server fluke.

I suspect this is the case. I really doubt they even have the capability to nerf single stations, they'd probably have to adjust the whole model to make long haul missions everywhere less lucrative. I suppose they could change the whole economic status of those stations but I haven't heard the test server reporting that.

Also, sometimes Sothis/Ceos just get into weird states on their own because of the whole background simulation, even on the normal servers, but they've always gone back to normal eventually.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

lol frontier is going to have hatchbreakers ignore shields :laffo:

yeah that'll convince people to play in open :jerkbag:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

orcane posted:

Also increasing your rep isn't all good. Once you're friendly or allied, the missions tend to emphasize larger hauls which pay less per ton of cargo hauled, so you'll spend much more time looking for good hauling missions (or just hauling missions in the first place). On the other hand, you slowly get federation rep from one faction and medium sized missions (up to like 24t of cargo) still pay decently without having to visit a dozen stations for turn-ins.

I just got a mission to smuggle 40 slaves from ceos to sothis for 3.5 millions :stare: this place is pure gold

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The buff to the T-7 is sensible, it gets a lot harder to destroy and enough freespace to finally carry more cargo than the Python. Which is good, it was always a bit silly how a medium-sized allrounder could transport more cargo than the dedicated medium trader. Now things should be a bit more balanced.

The buff to the Keelback is less impressive. One single size 3 module slot turns into a size 4, otherwise some small buffs to hull, shield and hardness. I can think of using it now at least for fun, the old Keelback died so fast it was kind of silly. If I ever go back to my smuggling Keelback-build, I'll probably upgrade the class 3A-shield generator to a class 4A for better survivability, but that's basically it.

Nice overall for future players. Players like me who are already proud owners of Cutters or Anacondas are of course hosed since they already have the best ships. On the other hand, they have the best ships and shouldn't complain. :v:

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

People are afraid of getting ganked, not having their poo poo stolen, so it really doesn't make much difference. If anything it just helps make stealing NPC cargo slightly less annoying, not that shields were ever really the issue with that anyway.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Friction posted:

It's kinda like ongoing sentiment. Most O-class systems are actually somewhat sensible. Then there are the systems where honking the scanner fills the radar with star icons. You know youre in for some BS physics when that happens.

I dub this system the Star Dong.

I want to see someone pit this in Space Engine or another actual planetary orbit simulator and make it work.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

BitBasher posted:

I want to see someone pit this in Space Engine or another actual planetary orbit simulator and make it work.

Universal Sandbox could probably do it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Point Defense buffs!

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

I suspect this is the case. I really doubt they even have the capability to nerf single stations, they'd probably have to adjust the whole model to make long haul missions everywhere less lucrative. I suppose they could change the whole economic status of those stations but I haven't heard the test server reporting that.

Also, sometimes Sothis/Ceos just get into weird states on their own because of the whole background simulation, even on the normal servers, but they've always gone back to normal eventually.

I'm hoping you're right, but for the record, out of curiosity I trotted over to Robigo to see if it was more than Sothis/Ceos, and those missions were pretty nerfed too. I suspect all long haul missions are paying terribly on the beta server right now.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

How do you complain about this but then simultaneously complain about QoL being removed vis-à-vis ship transfers :psyboom:

It's clearly a QoL improvement and won't have any affect on wether people play in open or not.

On a different topic and to add to what the gentleman said before about characterization and missions, I agree. I feel like some of the biggest problems is with this game would be alleviated if there were actual anchors in the gameplay to keep you in specific regions of space.

Powerplay tried and failed to do this, though at face level it's what the game needs. Ship permeance (characterization, personalization, engineers helps a bit with this), more depth to minor factions and systems (give me a reason to care about this system faction over the 400,000 other randomly generated ones) along with the tools to interact with them directly, and obviously more player interaction (open ended, guilds of some sort are obvious but not the only option here) would go a long way.

I feel like ultimately I have no reason to care about all these procedurally generated systems which lowers my desire to play the game to "let's go enjoy the flight and fight mechanics for a few hours for this month".

All successful open world games have significantly more personalization (e.g. RPG qualities) than Elite, adding new missions and ships and weapons etc, while cool, doesn't help with keeping me interested a month later.

As an example, it's a stupid simple missed opportunity with the crew to implement them leveling up with you (I'm pretty sure this is a thing right?) but then prevent you from keeping them if your ship is destroyed. That's not going to radically change the game but it's something small in the right direction that is already mostly implemented, why stop half way.

They should also rework the open, private, solo system. They're all online and sharing the same universe anyway so implement some PvP/PvE flag (handwave IFF technology) instead that prevents 'negative' player interactions buy still promotes seeing other players and cooperative gameplay, giving desperately needed life to the universe.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 30, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:yikes:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

As an example, it's a stupid simple missed opportunity with the crew to implement them leveling up with you (I'm pretty sure this is a thing right?) but then prevent you from keeping them if your ship is destroyed. That's not going to radically change the game but it's something small in the right direction that is already mostly implemented, why stop half way.
A feature so good, you didn't notice it was in already!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

kartikeya posted:

I'm hoping you're right, but for the record, out of curiosity I trotted over to Robigo to see if it was more than Sothis/Ceos, and those missions were pretty nerfed too. I suspect all long haul missions are paying terribly on the beta server right now.

If they did slash payouts on long term hauling missions across the board, that's going to suck a lot. I mean, I'm already reasonably space rich but for up and coming players that's a real bummer. Frontier does seem to love keeping their grinds grindey.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

It sounds like a good idea until the part where they're immune to point defense turrets and can only be stopped with ECM. So everyone with cargo now needs to give up a utility slot that they were using for something else, unless they want to constantly lose those precious modular terminals to the magic telepathic/teleporting NPC pirates.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Rah! posted:

It sounds like a good idea until the part where they're immune to point defense turrets and can only be stopped with ECM. So everyone with cargo now needs to give up a utility slot that they were using for something else, unless they want to constantly lose those precious modular terminals to the magic telepathic/teleporting NPC pirates.

but at least now ganking people to ruin their day while having the thinnest veneer make believe 'imma pirate :downs' player piracy is totally a viable career choice!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The hatchbreaker stuff is good surely? It makes piracy and actual thing it is semi-possible to do without just murdering your target. Traders can just high wake out like nothing has changed, at ant the very worst oh boo hoo thier loadout is 1 utility less optimal because they stuck an ECM on there

but at least now ganking people to ruin their day while having the thinnest veneer make believe 'imma pirate :downs' player piracy is totally a viable career choice!

That's the point! Finally you can actually steal stuff! Currently the only option is to ruin peoples' day by blowing them up or somehow convince them you won't kill them anyway if they drop cargo

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I spent some time doing data missions in sothis / ceos for rank and materials, and I still don't have enough for most rank 3-4 upgrades. Who thought it was a good idea to make some materials take up space in your hold when mission rewards are random and there's no storage possibility? I had to sell most of them to actually take the long range money making missions :frontear:

Also still zero modular terminals, the "ubiquitous" commodity (according to in game description) needed for like 5 of the most coveted upgrades.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

TorakFade posted:

Who thought it was a good idea to make some materials take up space in your hold when mission rewards are random and there's no storage possibility?

Literally the reason why I ignore all the blueprints that require them

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

gently caress me I've never even interdicted in anger before but the reddit brown sea is so furious about internet sociopaths hatchbreaking their space trainsets I really want to start

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

TorakFade posted:

I just got a mission to smuggle 40 slaves from ceos to sothis for 3.5 millions :stare: this place is pure gold

Is the smuggling technique of choice just long-range line up on the slot and power in there, or shut down systems and go silent and power in there?

Mr. Crow posted:

They should also rework the open, private, solo system. They're all online and sharing the same universe anyway so implement some PvP/PvE flag (handwave IFF technology) instead that prevents 'negative' player interactions buy still promotes seeing other players and cooperative gameplay, giving desperately needed life to the universe.

I only ever play in a private instance as there is a small group of us that like to play together. Sometimes the system has trouble putting us all in the same instance when there's only 8 of us so I hate to think how bad this would go with pubbies in the mix. The wing system could do with being a bit more robust, too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

gently caress me I've never even interdicted in anger before but the reddit brown sea is so furious about internet sociopaths hatchbreaking their space trainsets I really want to start

making them bypass shields and invincible to point defense turrets is a swing too far, hth

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Gromit posted:

Is the smuggling technique of choice just long-range line up on the slot and power in there, or shut down systems and go silent and power in there?
No, just fly in like normal. As long as you don't take ages to get through the slot, the likelihood of getting scanned is minimal.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Make endless High RES farming the only viable way to make money because I don't think enough space truckers are angry enough yet. TIA Frontier.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Helter Skelter posted:

No, just fly in like normal. As long as you don't take ages to get through the slot, the likelihood of getting scanned is minimal.

I usually pop silent running at about 4000 out just to be on the safe side and then shut it down once I'm like in the mail slot at all. I guess it's not really necessary, but unless you're already running super hot for some reason there's plenty of time to get in while silent running from there without overheating and you eliminate even the minimal chance of catching a fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

StarkRavingMad posted:

I usually pop silent running at about 4000 out just to be on the safe side and then shut it down once I'm like in the mail slot at all. I guess it's not really necessary, but unless you're already running super hot for some reason there's plenty of time to get in while silent running from there without overheating and you eliminate even the minimal chance of catching a fine.

Seems excessive: just fly through like normal and if you get scanned, boost through the mailslot. You should get through before the scan finishes: no harm, no foul. :yarr:

• Locked thread