Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Eh, I think it needs to be Gambit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Seltzer

:colbert:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Gambit is the best name.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I feel that Han is the best option.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
I'll put my vote in for Han but only because Ham wouldn't win

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
All these votes for Han and you don't vote for the obvious, superior choice of DASH RENDAR???

This post sponsored by Blind Sally

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Well, since Gambit's been done before, the choice that sounds the best is Han Solo.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Changing my vote to Han. Gambit and Maria are bad choices.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm changing my vote to Han, if only because there's a party member later on that needs to be named Chewie.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
In light of the "Dude was named Gambit in the previous FF6A LP" information, changing my vote to Han

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Eh, there are alot of other references to Star Wars in the game, too. So it does fit pretty well. Though I just prefer Gambit over Han, since no one went for Joker.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Regalingualius posted:

I'm changing my vote to Han, if only because there's a party member later on that needs to be named Chewie.

Oh god, that's perfect.

Got another candidate for Han if he doesn't win here.

Still voting for Gambit because I didn't see the last thread.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

Yes, good, this one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Han.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

DentD posted:

Yes, good, this one.

... won't work because length limit.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
When you need a pilot to get into an evil empire, you go with the best and call Han.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I'm dropping my vote for Joker since only one other person went for it at all, and jumping on the Gambit :bandwagon:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Hey, everyone, take a break from voting and check out Double_Negative's stream, that I'm involved in!

http://www.hitbox.tv/sourceelement

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Han was the winner, but for the record, Whitey amused me greatly.

Leave fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 1, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Twenty Six: Mystery! Music! Intrigue! One Of Those Is In This Update!

Welcome back, everyone! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we--What the hell did we do? Lemme check. Man, it was easier writing these opening spiels when I was updating like I was on meth. Oh! That's right, we arrived at the Opera House, and Olivia is going to be used as bait for Han, who wishes to kidnap Maria, and whose airship we need. Today, let's see how that goes, so let's roll.

Oh, man, this is not going well.

ADDDDDRIAN

Shut up, Nathan, it wasn't that good of a joke.

But, over there, a certain cephalopod lies in wait...

Is that a letter? Why did Ultros throw a letter?

And he threw it poorly, at that. C'mon, he's got eight arms, couldn't he have picked the good throwing arm?

And it'll take everything we have, together! With our powers combined, you are Prima Donna, the aural operatic avenger!

Eh, probably not.

Have a .gif!

There's a lot of different music in this update, and I'm going to do my best to keep it going correctly. Bear with me a little bit, would you?

As we are at the opera!

Well, that's not going to end well for one of them.

Hey, uh, knight-bro? You might want to--

--Look behind you. Yeesh.

Don't worry, he's not dead. It's an opera, so this doof has to sing first.

Now, there is an opera bit later that I'll show you, but not this one.

See, there's a full house here, but nobody up top. Just us.

Nathan is apparently getting antsy, so he gets to his feet.

There's a good reason to have these two along, and not just their combat abilities. And not for these lines, either. You'll see next update.

Oh, you're just trying to see Olivia naked, don't bullshit us.

Alright, let's go see Liv. I'm sure she could use some encouragement, considering she started practicing for this opera half an hour ago and sings like a cat dying.

The letter from Ultros has gone missing. Odd.

Go for it, Nathan.

...Where did you learn to talk to women!?

Thankfully, Olivia blows right past it. She's not some love-starved twit, you know.

Good, dramatic note to leave on.

And a question that probably pierces Nathan to the core.

Anyone else feel a little awkward during this? I always do.

It's only the pivotal moment of the opera, dear. No pressure.

Well, I suppose we could. It might help to know the words.

Though promises of perennial love
Yet sing here in my heart?
I'm the darkness, you're the starlight
Shining brightly from afar.
Through hours of despair,
I offer this prayer
To you, my evening star.
Must my final vows exchanged
Be with him and not you?
Were you only here
To quiet my fear...
O speak! Guide me anew.

Be sure to finish by the end of the interlude! There isn't much time before the start of Scene 2.)

-Impresario

Boy, Scene 2 looks like a real gas.

Anyways, this next part is best seen in motion. If you click on one video link in this LP, make it this one. The Opera is a pretty nice scene, and recommended watching, even if I do goof off a bit during one part of the video.

:ducksiren:Olivia's At The Opera Tonight! One Night Only!:ducksiren:

Huh. I could have ended the update there. Sure, it would have been a short one, but that would have been a good spot.

Oh, well, on with the show! We have an octopus to foil!

Please, we all know he isn't going to do anything, and it's going to be up to us.

The sooner we acknowledge that, the better.

Meanwhile, in the show...

Western survivors!?

Wait, as in stop attacking, or wait, as in there are no Western survivors?

You'd think being hit by a Chocobo would mess you up pretty badly. I mean, it's a thousand pound, giant chicken. They've got sharp talons and poo poo, man.

Yeah, I'm not transcribing opera dialog. I'm not feeling up to it tonight.

A d-d-d-d-duel!?

I bet a dollar it's something that would kill someone.

Man, how surprising would it be if Ultros had a rocket launcher?

Then again, a four ton weight would do it, too.

On a side note, if Wile E. Coyote was a hidden Final Fantasy boss, I'd be happier than a pig in poo poo.

Quick question for those of you who know marine biology; could an octopus the size of Ultros push 8,000 pounds (or 3628 kilograms) in five minutes?

Oh, man, I was hoping we'd get up there by doing that thing, like on TV, where they cut the rope and the bag of whatever comes down and they go flying up.

Good God, I sound like a rambling drunk in that last line.

Hey, Remain as party leader; solid.

Also, we have literally five minutes to reach Ultros. If not...

You're wasting time by repeating information just given to you?

I'd show it off, but not much interesting happens. One dumps us onto the stage, where we have to exit and come back up here, and the other turns out the lights.

Instead, we hit that switch, and now have to run across the building to get onto the catwalk.

Yeah, I just told them that.

But there's no time to waste!

No time to even properly lay out where we're going! No time to make sure our HP/MP is topped off!

Ah, gently caress, rats! These guys are time-wasters, and if you're not quick in killing/dodging them, you're going to fail.

So, naturally, I killed them all. Except for that one rat at the beginning, since I didn't feel like going back for him. His life is spared due to laziness.

What? I like keeping the missing monster updates nice and short.

The jerk doing the Bestiary entries, though? poo poo, let him keep going. He probably needs the daily activity.

And those are some weird fuckin' names for some rats.

The Stunners are the green ones, and they only have 299 HP to their name, and are weak to Fire. They can bite you, or bite you harder, and if left alone and attacked by magic, they'll run the hell away.

You can also steal Hi-Potions from them, as well as from the Goetia.

The Goetia have 499 HP and are weak to Ice. They can inflict Sap on you with their Bacteria attack, and have something interesting in their script. I'll just copy and paste from the bestiary guide I'm using on GameFAQs.

LufiaMaxim of GameFAQs posted:

AI Script

If fighting Formation 112:
* Formation 112: You fight a single Goetia and two Stunner
If all Stunner are dead:
Bring in Stunner x2

If fighting Formation 113:
* Formation 113: You fight two Goetia and three Stunner
If all Stunner are dead:
Bring in Stunner x3
-
Attack Turns:
1st Turn: Attack (66%) or Nothing (33%)
2nd Turn: Attack (66%) or !Bacteria (33%)

Anyways, the Stunners are worth 108 EXP a piece, the Goets worth 145, and they drop 156 and 235 Gil, respectively.

Ultros, you eight armed rear end, we have you now!

Already been dealt with!

Oh, crap, we were just tackled by a squid!

We're going doooooooooowwwwwwn!

In the process, we saved Olivia, but killed three other performers. Well done, team!

It's all part of the show, Impy! Just play it up!

...Dude, it's Maria...

You're...You're not familiar with acting, are you?

I thought he did pretty good in South Figaro, but maybe these things depend on if you're going to get your rear end murdered on sight.

Holy crap, Ultros is playing along.

:ducksiren: En garde! :ducksiren:

I missed you like a fungal infection.

Which is why I start the fight by lighting your rear end on fire. Ultros has only 2,550 HP for this fight, and is weak to both Fire and Lightning. Nathan learned Lightning from the fights with the rats, but his magic score is friggin' terrible.

But, that's okay. Leave can pick up the slack with his Blitzes.

However, Ultros will counter Blitzes with Acid Rain. He'd counter Bushido, too, for what that's worth.

Acid Rain is supposed to deal poison and water type damage, as well as inflict Sap, so it's supposed to be scary.

But, uh, somehow, Leave dodged every drop of rain. Must be all that monk training or something.

There's a chance to steal a White Cape from him, but I didn't get it in this fight.

I did, however, slice him up with a Chainsaw.

Ultros' only successful attack was to blast Nathan with some Ink, for 39 damage. It Blinded him, too.

Now, Ultros is supposed to have a lot he can do here. He can move around the battle field, offering him different attacks, such as using his Tentacle, using Megavolt, and using Drain. He also could use Level 3 Confuse, which would confuse characters who have a level divisible by 3.

But I remembered this fight being harder than it turned out to be, and I kind of...Hit him hard enough to make his skull and anus swap places.

...I feel there should be a laugh track here.

Well, two more Gil than we had. Every bit counts!

Quick, everyone else start laughing, and we'll do a freeze frame!

Oh, crap.

Oh, my word, it's Han!

He said he was going to come here, and by God, he did it!

He shoots past Olivia and she begins spinning.

Which apparently puts her other outfit back on. I'm not sure how that works, especially with the cape, but kudos to him.

"I said, no no no!"

Oh, but then you're not a man of your word!

'course, he doesn't know that. He'll find it out quickly enough.

That goes for all of you reading at home, by the way.

Stay tuned, to see the next part of this tale!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Ultros is a treasure. :allears:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I pity whoever has to rewrite the actual part two to take into account mister The Show Must Go On.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Side note for that last party vote; this is "Reasons" why Bowser from Kohlingen was not a valid option. Right around Nathan telling the others about the letter, he'd have hosed off from, of all things, boredom with the show. This would have put Leave down a member for Ultros, and, well... lets just say "That's only the beginning" and leave it there for now.

PS: drat, that's another boss just tossed to the curb.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
This entire sequence is just a joy to behold. So many plans crossing and people acting out on incomplete information, it's like watching a train wreck. Except Leave already did that.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

What's that? A couple more music links? Okay, sure, have these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9Sq7IOP3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBTmopsDJNk

The opera scene is just the best.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
So if I'm understanding that GameFAQs bit right, you want to kill the green rats first because they can spawn more of the other rats? Seems like a nice time waster mechanic.

I like the opera scene too but wish Olivia could be part of the boss fight.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

achtungnight posted:

That might give away that she's not Maria.

DayoDayo
Apr 23, 2016

Hey I knew someone that flirted like Nathan does once long ago.. Wonder who that could've been.. :)

And Ultros would make things a bit more exciting with a rocket launcher.. But that'd be a tax difficult seeing that your thread is pretty exciting as is!!

Another great update Leave!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

achtungnight posted:

So if I'm understanding that GameFAQs bit right, you want to kill the green rats first because they can spawn more of the other rats? Seems like a nice time waster mechanic.

Not quite. If there's only a Goetia (gold ones) alive when its turn comes around it'll spawn more Stunners (green ones). They don't keep spawning in more if they aren't missing any.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Explosionface posted:

What's that? A couple more music links? Okay, sure, have these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9Sq7IOP3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBTmopsDJNk

The opera scene is just the best.

You post those but neglect to provide the operatic version from Distant Worlds? Fiend! Cur! Knave!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2f-SeMxpkE

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Aerdan posted:

You post those but neglect to provide the operatic version from Distant Worlds? Fiend! Cur! Knave!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2f-SeMxpkE

I just honestly never heard it before.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ah, I thought I had the colors mixed up. Thanks.

Maria- yeah, I guess opera heroines don't exactly have the best action track record. Tosca, Aida, Porgy's Bess, they all meet tragic fates. This time's probably no different in the original script.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 1, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Also I suspect, depending on the dress, Olivia may not be able to really fight in it - lot of the more theatrical dresses are pretty drat cumbersome to move in.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Personally, I wouldn't want to fight an octopus, while wearing a dress.

Wandering tentacles and all, y'know?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

achtungnight posted:

Ah, I thought I had the colors mixed up. Thanks.

Maria- yeah, I guess opera heroines don't exactly have the best action track record. Tosca, Aida, Porgy's Bess, they all meet tragic fates. This time's probably no different in the original script.

I believe the "Distant Worlds" performance of it ends with pretty standard 'the hero wins and takes his beloved's hand' fare, though it's been ages since I listened to that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Was the stage open to the sky, or did Han just come down from the rafters after we did him the favor of cleaning them out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

A long time ago Nintendo Power did their Top 100 Games of All Time list for Volume 100, which came out about a year into the N64's lifespan. They said (probably jokingly) that the only reason why they put FF3/6 over FF2/4 was because of the opera scene.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

in ways 4's more fun with the job system, but the plot... bleh, especially all the brave heroic sacrifices... that they somehow miraculously survived.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best part of the GBA version by far is the rewritten lyrics that actually sound like a song. I think Ted Woolsey gets a lot more flak than he deserves, but he is definitely not a poet.

Of course, it's all brought down by the awful GBA sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Robindaybird posted:

in ways 4's more fun with the job system, but the plot... bleh, especially all the brave heroic sacrifices... that they somehow miraculously survived.

I think they wanted a Party Swap mechanism in FF4 but didn't know how to implement it, so they just made Final Fantasy Vietnam to keep the party changing.

• Locked thread