Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay, if you're a showrunner and in 2016 you have a scene in your television show where the science guy says some complicated science poo poo only for the protagonist to interrupt and flippantly remark "English please," gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Just finished it.

Verdict: Strong overall with dips due to pacing. Not perfect, but good overall.

I still like how there's no black and white morality in these Netflix series. Well, except for Luke and Diamondback, but they're polar opposites for a reason. Even though I've loved the villains in all the series, I'd give a slight edge to Cottonmouth over Kilgrave because he was presented as a much more complex character.

I hope the MCU stuff on Netflix can keep up the quality and based on the four I've seen (with allowances for some of DD: S2) I'm pretty confident Iron Fist is going to be good.

My biggest disappointment: I was fully expecting that gunshot wound to the arm would end up with Misty losing her arm clearing the way for some sweet Stark Industries bionic arm action in time for Iron Fist.

E: Spoiler mention of Diamondback since someone coming in cold won't know he becomes the main antagonist later on.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 1, 2016

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Weird, had no idea Sene started acting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just finished as well. My closing thoughts:

I enjoyed it for the most part. Cage, Knight, Cottonmouth, and Mariah were all brilliantly cast and the slow burn of the series worked in its favor.

However, I feel Diamondback was a mistake - a big one. He was a shallow, boring character who had none of Cottonmouth's charisma, Shades' smarts, or Mariah's icy calculation. I liked those three characters as antagonists because they couldn't be sorted in a big punch-out, nor could they take Cage in a straight fight. I think Cage was at his best when his personal invulnerability and super strength were put against situations where those didn't help him and forced his enemies to work around him. Dropping all of that in favor of a clumsy Cain and Abel metaphor with a dude with nothing to him beyond crazy was a serious mistake. I can understand wanting to close the series with a fist fight, but to me it was extremely unsatisfying and made worse by how doofy Diamondback's Hammertech suit looked.

The supporting cast was great - Claire was great as usual, Misty Knight was good, Pops was good, etc etc. Terrific worldbuilding, believable characters except for Diamondback, at times very uncomfortable to watch in a good way.

One thing I didn't buy was the Claire/Luke romance tease, particularly if the Netflix is going to go with the Jessica Jones/Luke Cage romance from the comics. It's an off the wall suggestion, but I loved what I saw of Claire's relationship with Misty Knight and would be very interested to see them paired off romantically, add some exploration of what it means to be queer in the black world.

All in all, I'd give the series a B+ or A-. Great in general, but I can't get past what a mistake Diamondback was.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
1x03 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THEY HAVE CHARLES BRADLEY AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I just finished it, and uhhh I didn't like it. Well, I liked a lot about it: the cinematography, the score, the intersection of blackness in modern America, the acting (for the most part). What I didn't like was the story combined with the deliberate pace, and since I'm not watching Naqoyqatsi and instead a show about power man I feel that is kinda fundamental.

But, I also loved Jessica Jones so I probably just have bad tastes.

I think if you're gonna set your super hero show's pace at a slow simmer then you need to really ratchet up the tension, which I think is pretty hard to do with bulletproof super strong man. That combined with diamondback as the shittiest villain so far for these things made for a beautiful, exactingly produced show that I couldn't wait to be done watching.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 1, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
1x03 I watched Luke's raid twice, that is some great poo poo. Misty and Scarfe are great...even if Scarfe is evulz. Love the MCU references, I love how they utilized it here. Best intersection since DD S1.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 1, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm only 6 episodes in, but I think this is the best of the Netflix series by far. I love the integration of the themes so far and the music is fantastic. Mike Colter does a great job as Luke, and the supporting cast helps to elevate the rest of the show. n

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

Just finished as well. My closing thoughts:

I enjoyed it for the most part. Cage, Knight, Cottonmouth, and Mariah were all brilliantly cast and the slow burn of the series worked in its favor.

However, I feel Diamondback was a mistake - a big one. He was a shallow, boring character who had none of Cottonmouth's charisma, Shades' smarts, or Mariah's icy calculation. I liked those three characters as antagonists because they couldn't be sorted in a big punch-out, nor could they take Cage in a straight fight. I think Cage was at his best when his personal invulnerability and super strength were put against situations where those didn't help him and forced his enemies to work around him. Dropping all of that in favor of a clumsy Cain and Abel metaphor with a dude with nothing to him beyond crazy was a serious mistake. I can understand wanting to close the series with a fist fight, but to me it was extremely unsatisfying and made worse by how doofy Diamondback's Hammertech suit looked.

The supporting cast was great - Claire was great as usual, Misty Knight was good, Pops was good, etc etc. Terrific worldbuilding, believable characters except for Diamondback, at times very uncomfortable to watch in a good way.

One thing I didn't buy was the Claire/Luke romance tease, particularly if the Netflix is going to go with the Jessica Jones/Luke Cage romance from the comics. It's an off the wall suggestion, but I loved what I saw of Claire's relationship with Misty Knight and would be very interested to see them paired off romantically, add some exploration of what it means to be queer in the black world.

All in all, I'd give the series a B+ or A-. Great in general, but I can't get past what a mistake Diamondback was.

also finished, so spoilers all and all.

I loved Diamondback, personally. He lacked Cottonmouth's charm but that was kinda the point. He wasn't mr suave club owner, he was a fuckin lunatic who was willing to burn his entire empire to the ground because daddy didn't love him. I loved that after 12 episodes of plotting and scheming the big finale was a super powered brawl. Diamondback was presented as this weird force of nature, even his fellow criminals grew to hate him, but because under all his madness he was a ruthless and violent psychopath he still remained a threat even when everyone turned on him. The Kingpin was a cold, calculating, guy who got frayed and pushed into the extreme, but when Diamondback comes in he's already frayed. His number 1 is dead and his brother he hated is some big fancy local hero, his world is already collapsing and he's just going to watch it burn.

The Cain and Abel stuff absolutely made no sense, but that was the point of that too. That's why we saw his bible with his crazy scrawling and highlighting and all. He fancied himself the preacher's son following god's will and all, but really he was just a nut who knew a few verses and one good story to justify his actions. He wasn't so much meant to be a real cain stand-in as he was a perversion of Luke, wanting to shoot him in a church, talking bible poo poo, he was the hosed up version of the preacher's son while Luke did the whole 'help the poor and weak' stuff without shouting "I AM LIKE THE DUDE IN THE BIBLE" every ten minutes. It's a contrast thing. Every bit of Diamondback was a dark mirror of Luke, he was everything Luke had to actively fight against in this show.

Also his suit was cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I just finished it, and uhhh I didn't like it. Well, I liked a lot about it: the cinematography, the score, the intersection of blackness in modern America, the acting (for the most part). What I didn't like was the story combined with the deliberate pace, and since I'm not watching Naqoyqatsi and instead a show about power man I feel that is kinda fundamental.

I've only watched the first episode so far, but yeah I found that one the worst paced Marvel Netflix release by far. I get the feeling they want everything to be 13 episodes, but maybe this one would've been better had it been edited to a tighter number of episodes. But maybe I'll like later episodes more.

I also loved Jessica Jones.

Sulfrasta
Dec 15, 2015
Just finished episode 7. I legitimately enjoyed Cottonmouth's progressively more anxious laughter, all the way up to his end.

E: Also, Claire is a masochist.

Sulfrasta fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 1, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

4 episodes in. This show is good. Great music. Luke Cage is awesome.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
1x08 Maybe they'll explain it later in a satisfactory way, but Diamondback being from Luke Cage's past, while simultaneously starting to move arms into Harlem seems like a huge coincidence. My understanding is that comic readers would be aware of their close relationship since the initial Diamondback name reveal, but as a non-comic-book reader, it feels way too contrived. This guy doesn't seem capable of running any criminal organization. I would believe as a bounty hunter, but not someone who would be Shades' boss.

It is my only complaint. Everything else is good so far.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I also just finished this. Wtf happened with the police lieutenant Perez that almost shot Misty? I was expecting him to spill the beans on everything, but he just kinda... vanished...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm only just getting into episode four but I still find myself getting stuck on that dude punching Luke in the face and breaking his hand.

I mean, that's ridiculous and I'm not just being stupid again right?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I'm only just getting into episode four but I still find myself getting stuck on that dude punching Luke in the face and breaking his hand.

People break their hands and fingers punching things far softer than Luke Cage all the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

People break their hands and fingers punching things far softer than Luke Cage all the time.

Mmm, fair enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Why is it ridiculous? A friend of mine broke his hand punching a wall and walls are softer than Luke Cage.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol the SUV scene from 1x06

He's definitely just black Superman who can't fly. and no eye lasers

Boy, I'd love to see a Netflix Original series on Calvin Ellis.

ImpAtom posted:

Why is it ridiculous? A friend of mine broke his hand punching a wall and walls are softer than Luke Cage.

I dunno! It bugged me and it just seemed a bit much at the time for some reason that I can't articulate. But I did ask if that was just me being dumb or whatever and people were like 'nah, that ain't weird' so I'm not gonna dwell on it.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
My favorite subtle race lampshading joke so far:
https://my.mixtape.moe/sadhyk.webm

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Up through episode 7 and even with ~that scene~ I'm just...really largely unimpressed with the antagonists so far in their role as antagonists (the characters themselves are fine). Vague spoilers I guess but they're not particularly clever, they're not particularly competent, and most advantages they get just seem to fall into their laps. That they very obviously don't matter in comparison to Diamondback isn't really helping my perception of them. Also just generally not a fan of the Yet Another Corrupt Police Precinct thing. Like that's something that's usually fine in isolated works but it's basically been a staple of these Marvel shows and it just gets tiresome to see it crop up what feels like again and again as an obstacle that exists to stretch things out.

I don't know. I'm enjoying the show but it has problems. Also going to echo this:

Hollismason posted:

Show has a shitload to say about absentee father's maybe a bit to much.

as something that stuck out to me and not as a positive.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just finished it.

It's an amazing show that's head and shoulders above what a lot of other shows are doing, and there's so much to like about everything in here. I'm floored by some of the racial and social overtones that they've decided to put in here....heck, even overtones might be putting it too lightly because it's just flat out "the storyline" and not the "overtones of the storyline." I had high hopes for a series based on a racially-charged character like Luke Cage in today's social climate, and on this front the show does virtually everything I'd hoped.

But all in all, I think Luke Cage is my least favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows/seasons out so far. Tied very closely with Jessica Jones though; maybe if I ponder it a bit more the rankings might change a bit. To the show's credit, I agree with whoever said that the quality is generally more consistent and reliable than how DD or JJ have gone. Individual episodes of Luke Cage never drop to the lows that those other shows have...but on the flip side, individual episodes never quite reach the highs of those shows, either.

The pacing does hurt. I always say that every one of these Marvel Netflix shows always have one or two more episodes than they actually need, and it especially hurts this one because...not a lot...actually happens? Characters tend to spend a whole lot of time talking about something that someone plans to do, and then they spend a lot of time talking about their reactions to a thing that someone did. Look, I like Cottonmouth and Black Mariah. I actually am really into Shades...biblically as well as intellectually :v:...but I was spending my time catching up Candy Crush on my phone by the seventh or eighth tense nefarious drawn-out conversation they had on the Harlem's Paradise balcony or whatever, and this wasn't even six episodes in. At some point it doesn't matter how well the scenes are executed if we're not seeing enough variety of scenes.

And I'm gonna need to mull over this ending a bit more before I decide that they didn't just pointlessly drag out a bunch of these plotlines for the sake of season 2 hooks and whatnot. There's such a thing as a Pyrrhic victory, sure, and then there's also just such a thing as not resolving a season very well. Especially the thing with the evidence folder? Like...it was literally just on the floor for someone to pick up...and then someone did pick it up...so hey, tune in next year (or whenever) to see this go exactly the way you've probably guessed it's gonna go!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I also just finished this. Wtf happened with the police lieutenant Perez that almost shot Misty? I was expecting him to spill the beans on everything, but he just kinda... vanished...
Yeah this was weird. In the next episode they were like "Scarfe's notes are no good if he's dead!!" and I'm like...but you have another confirmed dirty cop in your custody. It's not as good as Scarfe but it's not like you suddenly hit a dead end or something??

Have y'all noticed how much focus there's been on GETTING THE EVIDENCE. HAVE TO GET SOMEONE TO TALK. GOT TO GET EVIDENCE TO PROVE THE INVESTIGATION in all of these shows? I'm kinda over this narrative hook at this point. I mean, I'm usually a real stickler for superhero shows following proper codes of arrest and incarceration and all that -- looking at you, The Flash -- but I'ma be real put-off if Iron Fist comes around and we're still constantly having to get the right witness or the right confession or fingerprint or bullet casing or whatever to put some villain behind bars.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 1, 2016

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Hell's Kitchen, the other NY neighborhood notorious for having people thrown off rooftops.
https://my.mixtape.moe/ecwmjx.webm

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Episode 12:

My thing is,though, if he innocent , so what he running for?

Method Man: Bulletproof always gonna come second to being black. HB you should know that. You from Jers. Jers!

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Goddamn. Shades is loving rad.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Just got done. Didn't finish up as strong as it started, but I still enjoyed it. I think I like it a bit less than JJ, but a bit more than DD season 2. Diamondback was easily the weakest of the villains, so having him be the final showdown was kinda ehh.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Daredevil had its tensions of class system, Jessica Jones had it's mockery of feminism, but Luke Cage really has nothing. The show peddles cliches but doesn't have the courage to embrace them (the number of hours before a dashboard cam shows up shows remarkable restraint but not prudence). Who does Luke Cage fight as a definitive black superhero? His primary nemeses are (1X08) an anachronistic night club crime lord, an evil black career woman, and a charmless B-movie ghoul, three nails on the coffin for relevance. It's sad that Daredevil has more honest concern with gentrification than the show set in Harlem of all places. The showrunners are too consumed with setting up the next misguided slow burn scene to indulge in the comic book fantasy except in passing. Two stars out of five, and may God have mercy on their soul.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 1, 2016

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

10/10 for Diegetic music.
https://my.mixtape.moe/bpjbgh.webm

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Uh, spoilers for the show in general I suppose. Is Misty Knight's ability to perfectly visualize crime scenes, like Xu Baijiu in Dragon, something that her character had in the comic books too or just something they made up here?

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Who does Luke Cage fight as a definitive black superhero?

Only on the 5th episode, but it seems like Luke is fighting against the stereotype of a what being a strong black person is: Cottonmouth is a gangster, his cousin is a crooked politician, and that's the best people at Harlem have to look up to. Luke is showing them that they don't have to let circumstances dictate who they are. Just like in his choice of name when he says to the warden that the deal looks fine to the slavemaster, and then again when he chooses his new name remembering what his preacher dad told him .

At least so far, he's fighting the preconceived notions about himself, as a black dude and comics character. Also, I'm loving it all the black culture info.

Edit: 5th episode, not 4th.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 1, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jessica Jones had it's mockery of feminism,

Could you elaborate? I don't remember feminism being mocked at all in Jessica Jones. Quite the opposite in fact.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kal-L posted:

Only on the 5th episode, but it seems like Luke is fighting against the stereotype of a what being a strong black person is: Cottonmouth is a gangster, his cousin is a crooked politician, and that's the best people at Harlem have to look up to. Luke is showing them that they don't have to let circumstances dictate who they are. Just like in his choice of name when he says to the warden that the deal looks fine to the slavemaster, and then again when he chooses his new name remembering what his preacher dad told him .

At least so far, he's fighting the preconceived notions about himself, as a black dude and comics character. Also, I'm loving it all the black culture info.

Edit: 5th episode, not 4th.

Hmm, I guess that's why 1x07 (I think? Maybe it was six. Watch 40 minutes of episode seven to be safe) He was so scared when Cottonmouth found out about his criminal record and was so ready to run away.

Also 1x07, drat, wasn't expecting Mariah to mess up Stokes like that, holy poo poo. That was rad as hell. Also, wow. I was almost feeling sympathetic for him up until him and Mariah started being jackasses at each other. Good work, writers.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
Who is the Romeo referred to when Turk and Shades talk to Zip in episode 12?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Could you elaborate? I don't remember feminism being mocked at all in Jessica Jones. Quite the opposite in fact.

I think he means that the way JJ handled feminism made a mockery of the issue. I.e. the show did a poor job of tackling its themes, in his opinion.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo episode 8 was bad. Purple Man 2.0 except even worse. Also Luke's powers seem to be super inconsistent.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

I figure Luke can be drowned, suffocated, poisoned (really bad poison), mental attacks, radiation

Adamantium. Vibranium.

It reminds me of The Lies of Locke Lamora which features the hero getting blackmailed into posing as a supernatural crime boss who's tame wizard enchants him such that "no blade shall pierce his skin"

He then gets beaten roundly with clubs, stuffed in a barrel and dropped in a sewer.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Steve2911 posted:

Skippy McPants posted:

I think he means that the way JJ handled feminism made a mockery of the issue. I.e. the show did a poor job of tackling its themes, in his opinion.

JJ is about a woman trying to prove that the Patriarchy exists to fix things, and failing horribly because she only needs to execute the serial killer to set things right. When the Patriarchy is dead, nothing is ultimately fixed and she's still a miserable poo poo but now without the excuse of overlooming abuse.

e: I don't think the message is particularly well-delivered or -executed (and I certainly don't want to imply with that last line that abuse is meaningless). It's just the most coherent message to come out of that show.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 2, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JJ is about a woman trying to prove that the Patriarchy exists, and failing horribly. When the Patriarchy is dead, nothing is ultimately fixed and she's still a miserable poo poo but now without the excuse of overlooming abuse.

Hahahahahaha

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Just to be absolutely clear, I do not agree with that sentiment and was only attempting to clarify it.

Cause seriously, what the poo poo? I've read some stuff about that how JJ falls short on its themes, but, umm, wow. No. Nononono.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JJ is about a woman trying to prove that the Patriarchy exists, and failing horribly. When the Patriarchy is dead, nothing is ultimately fixed and she's still a miserable poo poo but now without the excuse of overlooming abuse.

:allears:

Bless your little cotton socks.