Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Inzombiac posted:

Like fishing in a Zelda game.

pretty sure Breath of Fire also does that in some of its fishing games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aubergine Mage posted:

To be honest, trolls in the Witcher universe loving rule.

They're sweet innocent bloodthirsty children :allears:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Legit, though, making the trolls have a personality that isn't "kill everything without mercy," and allowing you to play riddles 'n poo poo with them give The Witcher III a rich universe, compared to any other game I can think of. All of the little touches make it greater than the sum of its parts.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I love the troll who is told to guard the boats, so he builds a fence.

With the boats.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And if you paint the fence, it looks like garbage. But the troll is like an autistic savant rembrandt.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Loved rescuing the Spy/Cobbler. "We're gonna need leather. Lots of leather. We'll go get the leather, then we will be back to make your shoeses. Honest..."

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Geirskogul posted:

And if you paint the fence, it looks like garbage. But the troll is like an autistic savant rembrandt.

If I recall correctly from when this previously came up, the troll prefers your paint job to its own.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And Geralt's paintjob looks like rear end.

They really are the best characters. They're like the trolls in Pratchett's Discworld. Well, not the city ones - I mean the ones who live in the hills, thump dwarves and play sports with severed human heads.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Ravodid is a much better name imo

Also 'sharp-backclubs' :3:

turdydumps

I love the amount of poo poo Geralt gets for carrying his swords on his back.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The second sword... Is that in case the first one breaks?

Fine swords yah got there. But I prefer me trusty AXE.

On a different note, on my second playthrough I'm trying to get the Empress Ciri ending. And boy howdy am I realizing that EVERY SINGLE CHOICE that I could have made wrong on my first playthrough I made wrong! I am a terrible parent. :(

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Actually empress is the incorrect ending :smugciri:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The best ending for The Witcher 3 is the baddest worst saddest ending and I will not hear otherwise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I knew there were multiple endings and shot for Witcher Ciri so the end starting with a fakeout got me real bummed out about it. You tricked me Witcher 3!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah it's painful to watch but the worst ending for witcher 3 is incredibly well made. The fact that the main endings have their own different playable segments does a lot for them. Only the worst ending involves any kind of combat, and it's because geralt doesn't care and is just throwing himself at something because he wants to die.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Blind Sally posted:

pretty sure Breath of Fire also does that in some of its fishing games

Breath of Fire 3 had the absolute best fishing minigame ever and I've played through the game 3 times over the years because sometimes I just really get in the mood to chill out and fish. Basically, there are tons of different fishing spots around the world that you'll stumble upon as you get further into the storyline and they each have their own specific types of fish you'll encounter that respond to different types of bait. You can find better rods, you have a sort of fish logbook that tracks which breeds you've caught and the biggest of each you've found, and your rank as a fisherman has an impact on certain sidequests. Oh yeah, and one of the "fish" types you can capture is actually a race of mermen who all works as merchants and will trade you powerful equipment (for fish). There's only one type of bait that interests them: gold coins. Plus the music is really mellow and gives you a nice break from how melancholy the story and the world is.

So yeah, in a game where you're a dragon child/man traveling the world to understand why you're the only one of your kind left, getting embroiled in random bits of politics and fighting against forces that want to either kill you or use you, you can take a break every now and then to go fishing

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The best part of fishing in BoF games is that in BoF2 it's used to get the best sword in the game for the main character. There's a spot which will randomly show up on the overworld map close to your home town, and can only be accessed from a single tile inaccessible by land. The only way to get there is to use Nina's sister to fly you there before you open up the final dungeon. Once you visit the final dungeon a bunch of demons come out and chase her off any time you try to use her, and the airship replacement you get is too big to land on the single tile.

You would expect the ultimate weapon to be at the end of some dramatic sidequest, but nope. Inconspicuous chest lying at the bottom of an inconspicuous minigame location.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The best ultimate sword in a game is the Holy Avenger in Icewind Dale. It's basically a superweapon for paladins. You find it on a corpse in a secret area, but you probably wouldn't notice it since it looks exactly like an ordinary longsword. If you do click on it, you'll see it's got a massive boost against Evil and makes the user invulnerable to fear, and there's a story detailing the importance of humilty and charity.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Betrayal at Krondor's ultimate weapon, a super powerful sword with infinite durability, had the cruelest trap of all: even if you made it past the forest that took dozens of days worth of rations to cross and fought your way through the dungeon to the chest that contained it, the password to actually open it was complete nonsense unless you actually slogged your way through all the mediocre doorstop fantasy novels the game was based on.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Not related to the current topic at all, but I love the sense of power scaling that you get in Super Robot Wars. In the latest one I was struggling to bring a certain boss's HP down far enough that he would retreat, making use of terrain that gave me health regen to barely hold on while keeping him from doing the same. With my entire A team I still took multiple turns to take him down, and used a lot of savescumming to keep everyone alive. Last stage I had only half my A team due to a route split, with the units that had the most powerful attack in the game being unavailable. I still took him down to around 1/3 health in one turn without issue, And probably could have actually killed him if Plot didn't kick in.

Also, a personal favorite is that the mech I've taken my forum name from returns in this game, and its abilities match up pretty much perfectly with the shitwrecker in chief for the early game. Considering that its a unit that nobody uses by default, and it doesn't have any of the bullshit super powers that most of the units in the setting have I was pleasantly surprised that even sticking a mid-tier character in there resulted in it getting more kills than literally anyone else, and the pair being able to take half of the map themselves, every map.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Loved rescuing the Spy/Cobbler. "We're gonna need leather. Lots of leather. We'll go get the leather, then we will be back to make your shoeses. Honest..."
I was really mad that I couldn't come back with their shoes, to be honest.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The best ultimate sword in a game is the Holy Avenger in Icewind Dale. It's basically a superweapon for paladins. You find it on a corpse in a secret area, but you probably wouldn't notice it since it looks exactly like an ordinary longsword. If you do click on it, you'll see it's got a massive boost against Evil and makes the user invulnerable to fear, and there's a story detailing the importance of humilty and charity.

Never played Symphony of the Night? Crissaegrim is a rare drop off an insignificant trash mob that looks mediocre on paper until you try it out

Maybe it's because I played it in the grim days before limitless access to forums, faqs, and guides, but getting that was a surprise I'll never forget. Also the fact that it totally trivializes the entire game as soon as you get it, I can't really think of another game with quite so overpowered a weapon.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mondian posted:

Never played Symphony of the Night? Crissaegrim is a rare drop off an insignificant trash mob that looks mediocre on paper until you try it out

Maybe it's because I played it in the grim days before limitless access to forums, faqs, and guides, but getting that was a surprise I'll never forget. Also the fact that it totally trivializes the entire game as soon as you get it, I can't really think of another game with quite so overpowered a weapon.

But wait, there's more! You can equip a Crissaegrim in each hand and just mash both attack buttons to turn any boss into pudding in a matter of seconds. And not only that, but unlike other swords you can keep running while slashing so you never ever have to stop for anything ever again

There's also the Duplicator which isn't a sword but it lets you use one-use items infinitely, and since some of them are obscenely overpowered you can just jump in anywhere and throw a million ninja stars to dispatch any enemy safely from a distance while munching on endless piles of roast beef on the off chance something actually hits you

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There was some lovely action RPG for the N64 where if you turned around at the start of the game and found a very poorly hidden camp, there was the second best sword in the game.
It was so obviously placed that everyone assumed that was supposed to be your first item.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just beaten Dangan Ronpa 2 and holy poo poo that ending. I like the idea of the main characters being the primary villains being put through rehabilitation, then becoming a fusing their hope and despair into a healthier outlook of "Well my past was garbage but I can strive to do better in the future." I'm also curious about if the characters really mutilated their real bodies as Junko!Naegi said they did, as the one who replaced his eye with Junko's eye definitely looked like an older Fuyuhiko. I also liked charging the Truth Bullet so it just demolishes every statement golden or not in that one section, and the hosed up stuff done to Hajime that caused him to murder the student council in the first place after being turned, surgically, into the Ultimate Hope. Also the visual of Nagito with Junko's hand was wonderfully creepy. His "suicide" was amazing too. The only thing is, the mention of the one of the main 15 trying to mate with Junko's corpse may have been a step too far... It was memorable and effective, but also just kinda gross...

Also the music was fantastic, especially during the final two investigations.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Oct 1, 2016

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Granstream saga, a terrible rpg I somehow loved, had a broken as hell sword hidden in a basement you briefly have access to after the first dungeon. You have only one of the item you can use to find it and it's placed on a very precise part of the wall just next to the exit of the area (after leaving you can't return). Any mistake means replaying the intro again and again...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sad lions posted:

Granstream saga, a terrible rpg I somehow loved, had a broken as hell sword hidden in a basement you briefly have access to after the first dungeon. You have only one of the item you can use to find it and it's placed on a very precise part of the wall just next to the exit of the area (after leaving you can't return). Any mistake means replaying the intro again and again...

Hey man Granstream Saga was fantastic and I won't have you say anything bad about it. No, I haven't played it in almost 20 years why do you ask?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Good job, Firaxis. :)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

At enemy within Firaxis had not even begun to good job.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Len posted:

Hey man Granstream Saga was fantastic and I won't have you say anything bad about it. No, I haven't played it in almost 20 years why do you ask?

The best part of it was that it fell into an odd place graphically where they could handle 3D models but not putting faces on them, so it starred an entire cast of Slendermen.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Thinky Whale posted:

The best part of it was that it fell into an odd place graphically where they could handle 3D models but not putting faces on them, so it starred an entire cast of Slendermen.

That style made some of the NPCs in the old King's Field games look much scarier than the actual monsters.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Thinky Whale posted:

I kind of love those really weird moments in time where fidelity, budget, and ambition clash so awkwardly. Like Custom Robo on the Gamecube, had a bunch of hand-drawn anime portraits for text boxes but the actual models couldn't emote so you'd get scenes like your boss angrily yelling at you in text buy staring forward with a blank :geno: face. Or the end of the PS2/Xbox era when games based on movies were trying to make the character models look exactly like the real-life actors so The Matrix: Path of Neo and Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie have the creepy reanimated corpses of Keanu Reeves and Jack Black running around.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Guy Mann posted:

I kind of love those really weird moments in time where fidelity, budget, and ambition clash so awkwardly. Like Custom Robo on the Gamecube, had a bunch of hand-drawn anime portraits for text boxes but the actual models couldn't emote so you'd get scenes like your boss angrily yelling at you in text buy staring forward with a blank :geno: face.

That reminds me of one of my favorite little things in games, when you get asked if the world is flat or round. Your character is expected to say flat. It''s the reveal that you live in an artificial world because the real one was destroyed.

Custom Robo was great, in that awkward "early 2000s English dub of a stupid children's anime" way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Final Dangan Ronpa post now:

I think overall, thinking about it after the fact, my favourite aspect of the Dangan Ronpa franchise is how it portrays Luck as a talent. Nagito is terrifying because his talent is Ultimate Lucky Student, but unlike with Naegi, who won a lottery but is actually Hope and not Luck, Nagito's luck is almost supernaturally powerful. Everything goes his way even when it is bad luck at first, the worst thing luck did to him was limit his lifespan - he has both cancer and dementia wasting him away over time, but even then he is living much longer than he should due to constantly beating the odds. He has such blind faith in it most of his plots revolve around it and they always succeed one way or another, for example in DR2 he plays Russian Roulette after only removing one bullet, because "If my luck can't hold up to a 1/6 chance of survival I have no business calling myself Ultimate Luck."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

WickedHate posted:

That reminds me of one of my favorite little things in games, when you get asked if the world is flat or round. Your character is expected to say flat. It''s the reveal that you live in an artificial world because the real one was destroyed.

Custom Robo was great, in that awkward "early 2000s English dub of a stupid children's anime" way.

Custom Robo was fun and it's really disappointing it never took off and got more sequels than the lame DS spinoff.

Similarly Gacha Force was a poorly dubbed children's anime styled game, which as far as I can tell was never actually based on a cartoon just designed like it was, that's bizarrely addictive. Well over a hundred little robots and most of them feel slightly different in playstyle. My favorite little thing about it though is that every character in the game is playable. Even the one that's literally just a walking bomb who's only attack is to explode. Or the immobile missile launchers.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mondian posted:

probably the handgun in DS2, although to actually get that you had to beat the game on hardcore mode (no checkpoints, only three saves in total) so to get it you had to master the game anyway

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Terrible Opinions posted:

At enemy within Firaxis had not even begun to good job.

This stuff is fun and all but XCOM2 is almost unplayable thanks to it's insane loadtimes and absurdly garbage optimization. It's a shame too cause there's a lot of little things in there, Firaxis just seems to have no clue how to make the game actually playable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

probably the handgun in DS2, although to actually get that you had to beat the game on hardcore mode (no checkpoints, only three saves in total) so to get it you had to master the game anyway
...Dark Souls 2?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

...Dark Souls 2?

Dead Space 2.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

...Dark Souls 2?

yeah dead space
is what I should have said instead of using an acronym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

absurd garbage

My favorite little thing in the new xcom series is scrolling around the bases and seeing your soldiers in relevant places- guys with nothing to do are in the barracks or bar, injured are in the medbay with visitors, and folks training are actually in the appropriate room.