Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

but at least now ganking people to ruin their day while having the thinnest veneer make believe 'imma pirate :downs' player piracy is totally a viable career choice!
And you have about the same chance of interdicting a player out of the blue and hatch-breaker-limpeting a modular terminal from them as you do getting them from a mission! The clever thing is that a limpet costs more than half of things people might be carrying in their cargo hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gromit posted:

Is the smuggling technique of choice just long-range line up on the slot and power in there, or shut down systems and go silent and power in there?

Either kind of works, these days. Going silent now actually helps against NPC scans, so there's some added feeling of safety there, but it evaporates again when you remember that you're now flying (possibly at high speed since you want to get it over quickly so as not to cook yourself) into a place that has lots of stuff to collide with, and you have no shields… :D

As the others have mentioned, the chances of a scan are small anyway, and chances are also that, in the unlikely event that it happens, the scan will go off so close to the mail slot that you can just keep flying and get inside before it completes.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Did they ever settle on how much time/money has to be wasted for the ship transfers thing?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

DancingShade posted:

Make endless High RES farming the only viable way to make money because I don't think enough space truckers are angry enough yet. TIA Frontier.

If you read any thread on the forums then this is precisely what 100% the players want. Also if you ever turn FA on or use a non-fixed weapon then your ship self destructs and your account is wiped. You should probably die in real life too in order to enhance my autism.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

hakimashou posted:

Did they ever settle on how much time/money has to be wasted for the ship transfers thing?
I suspect that wherever they land on it during the beta, some time after it goes live it will eventually be reduced to something actually reasonable.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
EDIT: Wrong thread

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Another update on the long range hauling, since I had reason to pop into Aditi on beta:

A contract for 99 tons to go 258 lys is showing as a payment of almost 900k. Entrepreneur rank. So yeah, either it's just a beta server thing for all long range hauling missions, or it's all long range hauling missions getting the hammer.

Funny thing is, there are a lot of passenger missions running to Aditi's twin system (aka, the one that all the data missions send you to), sometimes for pretty drat decent money (500k for 19 tourists, for example). Balance, what's that?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Finally got Horizons. I assume that Engineer grind guide is still relevant?

Seeing vids of full multicannon setup on the FAS. Is that a decent setup?

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 1, 2016

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Dandywalken posted:

Finally got Horizons. I assume that Engineer grind guide is still relevant?

Seeing vids of full multicannon setup on the FAS. Is that a decent setup?

I heard you can do the same thing on the Fed Gunship, but don't try and duel it out because it's a flying brick; rather, use it for kick rear end strafing runs! :getin:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
If you're looking for "fun ways to fight", I've yet to get tired of a light DBScout (:lovewcc:) with at least C2 frag cannons, shotgunning bitches at point blank range. Blamblam

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm getting chain ambushed my multiple teleporting anacondas every time I drop out of Frameshift anywhere in any system I go to.

It's been 6 loving months and they haven't fixed this poo poo yet?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Haha is the Type-9's jump range a joke or what the hell.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

best part is when you can buy one in a system that doesn't sell bigger FSDs and it can't even get out of the system. :D

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

SpannerX posted:

best part is when you can buy one in a system that doesn't sell bigger FSDs and it can't even get out of the system. :D

God drat it I hate my avatar!

Quote is not edit!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Xae posted:

I'm getting chain ambushed my multiple teleporting anacondas every time I drop out of Frameshift anywhere in any system I go to.

It's been 6 loving months and they haven't fixed this poo poo yet?

Do you by any chance have any cargo? Like engineer-specific cargo given to you by missions?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Morter posted:

Do you by any chance have any cargo? Like engineer-specific cargo given to you by missions?

Nope, just running a random rear end mission for modular terminals.

And since it was a 250k LS to objective and then between running to the rez site so I can get NPC backup to fight 2 Anacondas then getting a "Surprise go to another station 300k LS from its star!" its been about 3 hours from boarding scumming to turn in to finish this poo poo. I'm about ready to loving uninstall rather than get the other 21 Terms.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

It's been my experience that high-waking away from a system and then back to it despawns those enemies. In particular, the ones that come from a mission saying "Yo heads up these people will want to kill you".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SpannerX posted:

Probably the only reason to use the amazing ship transfer system when it comes out! But seriously, 20 ly and that's before you fit any useful mods :psyduck:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

orcane posted:

Probably the only reason to use the amazing ship transfer system when it comes out! But seriously, 20 ly and that's before you fit any useful mods :psyduck:

20 LY is bad but I can't imagine being unable being over 20 from another system to refit

E: bad for a trader anyway

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Strategic Tea posted:

20 LY is bad but I can't imagine being unable being over 20 from another system to refit

20 LY after buying the biggest FSD (actually according to coriolis it's only 18 LY lol), but it's possible to buy the ship and have an outfitter that doesn't sell you any FSDs.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

orcane posted:

For some reason the Type 9's base hull mass is 2.5 times the Anaconda's, even though it has fewer internal module slots overall and half the base armour.

Someone done hosed it up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I suspect this is the case. I really doubt they even have the capability to nerf single stations, they'd probably have to adjust the whole model to make long haul missions everywhere less lucrative.

lol if you don't think that's what they're doing

why settle for just nerfing the most prominent and well-known long-haul stations when they can nip the problem in the bud and nerf long-hauling altogether?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol frontier is going to have hatchbreakers ignore shields :laffo:

yeah that'll convince people to play in open :jerkbag:

I can't imagine that would possibly make it into release. People could literally sit inside an anarchy station hatchbreaking anyone who enters or leaves.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

tooterfish posted:

For some reason the Type 9's base hull mass is 2.5 times the Anaconda's, even though it has fewer internal module slots overall and half the base armour.

Someone done hosed it up.

They made the Anaconda weigh like half or less of what it should because of some really bad design decisions WRT exactly how FSDs work, which is why a stripped down Anaconda has such a rediculously high jump range as well.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

They made the Anaconda weigh like half or less of what it should because of some really bad design decisions WRT exactly how FSDs work, which is why a stripped down Anaconda has such a rediculously high jump range as well.

To be fair, it seems like it made Frontier pretend the Anaconda isn't a multirole anymore since so many people use it as high-end explorator these days. You can basically feel how glad they are they don't have to design another exploration-ship.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Main Paineframe posted:

I can't imagine that would possibly make it into release. People could literally sit inside an anarchy station hatchbreaking anyone who enters or leaves.

"risk/reward! :byodood:"
- the brown sea, probably

Meanwhile Open continues to be a ghost town.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That makes sense, I saw the mass and wondered what the heck when I was playing around with T9 fittings on Coriolis.

Strategic Tea posted:

It's actually about 8 ly empty when you buy it, and you only barely reach 20 if you downgrade every core component to the minimum, then add a 6A FSD and empty your tank. It's amazing.

So I guess Frontier is bad at this whole balancing thing. Not sure if that should surprise me :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

People could literally sit inside an anarchy station hatchbreaking anyone who enters or leaves.

It'd be like space-pantsing people!

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

People could literally sit inside an anarchy station hatchbreaking anyone who enters or leaves.

Now that is an excellent plan.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

2spooky4me posted:

Meanwhile Open continues to be a ghost town.

I have no idea why that is. You get to meet roleplayers of the brown sea AND enjoy public chat with people from the internet! Sign up today!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wow, "KILL THE SKIMMER" missions still generate for bases without Skimmers it seems. Same with Goliaths.

Lol gently caress.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dandywalken posted:

Wow, "KILL THE SKIMMER" missions still generate for bases without Skimmers it seems. Same with Goliaths.

Lol gently caress.

No what they changed is you have to actually land and use an SRV now or they won't spawn. At all.

Apparently people were having fun dive bombing them so they couldn't allow that to continue.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

How can they possibly have time to 'balance' that, but not to deal with the fact that the like three viable pvp setups are basically untouchable by anything else.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

DancingShade posted:

No what they changed is you have to actually land and use an SRV now or they won't spawn. At all.

Apparently people were having fun dive bombing them so they couldn't allow that to continue.

Why on earth would any idiot in any universe kill armed skimmers with a tiny vulnerable rover instead of the giant 120 million spacebuck customized space death machine they are already flying? "Hey, let's go attack poo poo in my ATV instead of my loving space Harrier." Using the ship is not an exploit, it's what any functional sentient being with a working brain would do!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
If you've got seven minutes to burn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2uaRHFmBT4

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BitBasher posted:

Why on earth would any idiot in any universe kill armed skimmers with a tiny vulnerable rover instead of the giant 120 million spacebuck customized space death machine they are already flying? "Hey, let's go attack poo poo in my ATV instead of my loving space Harrier." Using the ship is not an exploit, it's what any functional sentient being with a working brain would do!

The best part is if you blow away all the static base defences first you can just land and let a wave spawn, take off and shoot them anyway.
Also if you're not packing 3-4 missile racks to get through all the point defence first so you don't die doing this then gently caress you for not bringing a dive bomber to a mission where dive bombing no longer works.

Retarded? Why yes, yes it is. But we are talking Frontier here whose game designers are well known for good decisions like publicly shaming people and telling them to get better instead of admitting buggy engineer tuned NPCs were instagibbing people.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ahh fair enough. Thats a drat shame, I really wanted to be a bomber and blow the poo poo out of bases for profit in Horizons :( I'll bust out the SRV though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The idea for SRVs is to get in under the radar etc etc, so I think bombardment was fine as a choice. You either infiltrate the base (difficult) or bring enough firepower to level it (expensive).

But you can -never- make something too expensive for pseudo-MMO grinders. And removing the option is an awful alternative.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Finally finished unlocking Thrusters 5 -- gently caress you Professor Palin and gently caress whoever at Frontier came up with that progression scheme.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I got bored grinding imp ranks by having my trade missions diverted, so let's try combat missions. I stack up 10 "massacre" missions that were spawning like crazy but when I leave the station the conflict zone has disappeared. I still get ships of a certain faction displayed as mission targets but they are "clean" and shooting at them will make me wanted. Thanks, O'Braben!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Strategic Tea posted:

But you can -never- make something too expensive for pseudo-MMO grinders. And removing the option is an awful alternative.

This right here is what's wrong with this game (besides not allowing single-player/private server and thus mods).

There is a giant disparity between poopsockers and everyone else, because getting money is a -very- slow process outside of exploits, so those who can play like 5 hours a day have enormously inflated bank accounts, while the average guy that plays say a couple hours a week is a space poor that can barely afford to rebuy his ship if he blows it up unless he stays locked to low-cost, low-level game content - which is admittedly cheap and fun enough, but come on.

Guess what kind of player inhabits the brown sea, which is where :frontear: goes to look at the playerbase and take decisions? I read stuff like "by now we all have multiple billions in our accounts so transferring a ship should cost 30 millions because we need a money sink", and as far as I understand this is also the reason we have to hunt for extremely rare and hard to find stuff that also take up cargo space for engineer upgrades, and also why they're the worst RNG poo poo ever: if they gated it by money, had fixed stats or allowed people to just use materials/data instead of cargo-space-hogging commodities, according to the brown sea everybody would have maxed rank 5 on all modules within a day (which admittedly is probably true, but as is, it is a little too much gating for the casual player who can't spend 7 hours straight hunting for modular terminals, and still too little gating for the poopsocker who will have the maxxed rank 5 poo poo anyways within a week of awful, non-stop grinding)

to me this looks like if WoW or other similar MMO catered only to the max-level players, so made every mob in the world and every item for sale have max-level and max-price, besides a restricted few select low-level ones just to avoid scaring off new players (which will suddenly realize that once they're out of the newbie phase they literally can't do anything and will have to keep killing goblins with their wooden stick forever)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 2, 2016

• Locked thread